Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Expert Face Brush

image 1image 2image 3

4.6

on 7/24/2016 11:14:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I, for the life of me, cannot understand the appeal of this brush.

I heard it was a pretty good foundation brush, for both liquid and powder, so I grabbed it. I've been curious about using a brush to apply foundation, since everyone says it provides more coverage with a brush.

They're right; I did get more coverage when I used this brush to apply my liquid foundation. But it looked AWFUL. My normally HG foundation suddenly exaggerated all my pores and flaws. It left a nasty, fake-looking texture on my face, whereas my trusty beauty blender always leaves a natural look. Every time I've tried to use it, I've had to wipe my makeup off halfway through and start over with a beauty blender. That's just how bad this brush is. I tried buffing, stippling, swiping...every technique gives me the same result. Same for when I tried cream foundation, only it was harder to spread the foundation.

When I finally decided to try a loose powder foundation, I figured this was the time for this brush to shine. NOPE. It works better with powder, sure, but it still gives a pretty patchy finish. I've resorted to using a sample size kabuki brush that came with a Sephora order, because even THAT applies powder better.

I've got nothing but love for Real Techniques. The majority of my brushes are from them (blush, stippling, powder, concealer...I have a lot of them). But this brush, rather than working for multiple uses, as claimed on their website, seems to actually fail at everything it does. I've owned this brush for close to a year now, so this review comes from many, many attempts to use it for many different products. Maybe I'm still doing something wrong. But I just can't get anything to work with it.

I would definitely NOT recommend this at all.

on 7/24/2016 8:51:00 AM

Love these brushes!!!! Such amazing quality and the price is fantastic! Never sheds and applies make up beautifully. I've purchased $50 brushes that she'd like crazy and were worthless. Highly recommend.

To Read all 543 Reviews, Login or Join

I am really happy with this brush - it is my favourite in the series! It really allows you to softly buff in your moisturiser or foundation for a sheer/natural look without making you flaky (which sometimes happens for me if I use a brush vs.a sponge). I find it soft and firm never scratchy. I have also never seen any brush hairs fall out of it. Love Sam and Nic too <3 I am a long-time fan of Pixiwoo.

on 5/6/2016 7:57:00 PM

I find that this brush is not soft enough and the bristles come out when using it. I have not encountered the latter issue with any of the other brushes.

on 4/24/2016 1:20:00 AM

This brush was way to harsh on my skin. Every time I used it, it would irritate my skin and it would leave brush stokes on my face. I really wanted to love it but it just didn't work for me so I gave it away.

on 4/17/2016 4:08:00 AM

I really can't fault it. A great product at a great price!

on 4/17/2016 3:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I bought this brush after read lot of positive reviews. But I agree with minority opinion here if this expert face brush doesn't work well as people said. First I used it with my liquid foundation and it didnt blend nicely. I'd prefer my cheap brush Wet n Wild flat top brush for liquid foundation instead. Then I tried to use it with my blush and bronzer but it was okay. Probaly just gonna use with my powder.

on 4/13/2016 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I use this brush with my liquid foundation and sometimes with loose powder. Its bristles is quite dense and pretty short hair; also, it's quite small. Therefore, when I apply foundation with this brush I have to rub it on my face and spend more time than my coastal scents buffer brush. However, the effect on my face from using this brush is quite good. I've got medium-full coverage. Bristles is not that soft (I still prefer coastal scents bionic buffer brush) but it's not that rough either. It's kinda nice using it, I use it alternatively with other brushes which their shapes are similar to (or almost the same) expert face brush (like Zoeva 102 silk finish) and I prefer Zoeva to expert face brush from RT. BTW, it's pretty nice to try this brush for applying liquid foundation. Reasonable price and easy to wash off. Oh, the bristles doesn't shred. Nice.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I've always used a kabuki brush to apply my mineral powder foundation. But after reading the reviews on this brush, I gave in and purchased it. I've never been one to pay a lot of money for makeup brushes, so when I seen the price, I was skeptical. But I forked over the money anyway. Well, it was worth it. I LOVE this brush. It helps to really buff in my mineral foundation. Yes, the brush seems firm, and the bristles are not as soft as a kabuki, which could irritate skin, and make dry skin more flakier, but I always moisturize before applying my makeup, so it doesn't bother me. Using this brush, I get more coverage with my mineral foundation in one application, instead of layering and layering over and over. When it's time to purchase another brush, it WILL be this one!

on 4/11/2016 2:26:00 AM

After reading reviews of this product I was really excited to try it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work too well for me and after a few tries I have given up with it. However I have to say, I believe the reason it doesn't work as well for me is because of the texture of my skin. I have very dry skin and I can tell that if you were working with a smoother base the brush would work better. It did spread my foundation quite well, but it seems to settle in fine lines and I could see lines from the brush on my face which I had to blend with my fingers. The brush is very soft and felt nice on my skin and the design is lovely. But I have had far better results with the real techniques sponge.

Popular Makeup Brushes