Chanel Rouge Coco in Gabrielle 19

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Chanel Rouge Coco in Gabrielle 19

4.2

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am a red lipstick lover. The right red is a classic lip look that never goes out of style. As an older person, I am finding issues with many of the lipsticks by the various lines. The colors neither become me or intrigue me. The formulas are too shiny, too sheer, too matte. So not having been at the Chanel counter for some time, I paid a visit and was helped by a wonderful and beautiful young Chanel rep who did not disrespect me because of my age or make me feel as if was past "it". She recommended several colors for me and this was a red that worked. I fell in love with it immediately. It was not too warm or cool. It would be just right for day or night. I am glad that I bought it.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Gabrielle quickly became my go-to red lipstick of the moment. Let me tell you - these Rouge Coco lipsticks are one of the best launches this spring in terms of makeup.

I love the consistency and moisturizing feel of this lipstick. Yes, it is a bold color - but you can adapt saturation to your own desire. This lipstick can be built up to an intense maximum or just be worn as a stain - if that is what you like.

This lipstick needs re-application throughout a day, so make sure to keep it in your handbag. Gabrielle itself - is a beautiful blue toned red that not only makes your teeth appear whiter, but also gives a nice polished look to your makeup and brightens your face.

I love this product and highly recommend it. If you want to see swatches of other lipsticks in the range and a full-on review head to this blog post below. Hope it helps.

on 3/4/2015 2:20:00 AM

My HG red lipstick. What more is there to say? It's the perfect classic red, goes on well and stays on. Love it.

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

By far one of the most moisturizing lipsticks out there, great pigmentation, the shine of the finish is brilliant. Packaging is immaculate. Pricey but it's worth every cent.

on 4/17/2014 6:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I was looking for a "real" red lipstick and this shade seemed to fit the purpose. I already bought another lipstick from the Coco line and I know they are very moisturising.

I apply it in the morning with a lip liner (a must, considering the colour) and it lasts without drying my lips until lunch time. I reapply after lunch, together with liner and I am set until the evening.

I really like the staying power and non-drying effect. However, the shade is not exactly what I was looking for, as it turns a bit too orangey on my lips. I would not repurchase this particular shade, but perhaps another one from the same line.

In general I love all the Rouge Coco lipsticks eventhough I am more of a lipgloss user. The texture, the smell and the packaging of these lipsticks make them feel very luxurious, and they are very silky and non-drying, which is a problem I usually have with other lipsticks. The staying power is average but I don't mind reapplying, since all longwear lipsticks just dry out my lips.

This shade is a very rich red/pink with a blue undertone, so it really stands out and makes my teeth look very white. I only wear this lipstick when I go out at night, but lately red lipsticks seem to have become more accepted in daily wear too...I still find this too flashy for work though. Definitely makes me feel chic and confident, so a nice perk for those nights out!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

A Classic!

on 12/15/2010 3:12:00 PM

As much as Gabrielle is such a perfect color on me, i really have to damn the Rouge Coco formula. Firstly, it leaves a vampirish ring around my lips after eating. Secondly the lasting power is seriously average. Thirdly, it dries out my lips and makes my lip lines look even more defined. I am definitely not touching any other Rouge Cocos from now.

Now, read this review which i have to fully agree with:

Honestly, if you're looking to buy a luxury lipstick, put your money in YSL's Rouge Pur Couture. That's what i call MOISTURISING and STAYING POWER.

On to search for a Gabrielle dupe!!!

on 5/21/2010 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Chanel released this lipstick line earlier this year on February 25th to replace the Hydrabase lipsticks. I only have one of them right know, but plan to buy a lot more based on the quality I've experienced with the one I already have. #19 Gabrielle is what I call a true red, though it leans a bit towards blue-based reds, so cool toned ladies might want to check it out. However it isn't overwhelming on my warm skin, and I find it suitable to wear at day time. Though it looks like a creamy, glossy lipstick on pics taken by other reviewers, this lipstick actually has golden sparkles in it (bet you didn't know that). And this isn't the kind of shimmer you'd find in a kid's makeup kit. It the kind of subtle shimmer that Chanel incorporates so perfectly into their most wanted beauty products; it's the kind that is sophisticated, barely there, but that adds an alluring twist to this already wonderful product. I would recommend trying it out first, though, because strong colors like this can really overwhelm a person's skin tone if they aren't careful.

on 2/14/2010 9:20:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Well, Rouge Coco hasn't officially launched yet, although it is already selling in Canada at The Bay. Being a red-Chanel-lipstick addict, I just simply had to check it out yesterday and I walked away with a tube in #19 - Gabrielle.
Since this is the first review for Rouge Coco formula, let me try and address all aspects of this product, the best I can :-)
According to the SA, this range is a replacement for the Hydrabase line that is being discontinued.
1) Format/Packaging - Visually, the case looks very similar to the Hydrabase case, one main difference being that it is no longer made from plastic, but from metal. It adds to the weight (albeit slightly), but also to the luxe feel.
2) Texture - A lot more creamier than Hydrabase, which (at least for me) isn't necessarily super positive, especially with red colours (I just find that creamy reds tend to bleed a lot more). It also seems to disappear from my lips a bit faster than RA or Hydrabase. Compared to RA, it is not as lightweight as RAs are, but it is lighter weight than Hydrabase. Hope I am making sense here. From what I could tell while I was testing all the colours at the counter, texture and creaminess will also depend a lot on the colour you choose. Did I sense any super/extra hydration? Hmm... Hard to say after just one day of wearing, but when I applied it, there was a smoothness to my lips (which disappeared when the lippy wore off, so I think it is superficial). At the first wear, I feel like I prefer RA texture to this, but I will have to update if that changes. The lippy definitely made my lips look a bit plumper from creaminess, hydration and silicones that fill in the lines. But, IMHO, you will definitely have to use a lip liner with this colour (even a clear one) as it tends to bleed.
3) Colour - Well, if you love reds like I do (although I do like good nudes/neutrals, too), I think you will love Gabrielle. If you used Hydrabase Fire before, you will love this colour especially. It is very similar to Fire, although just a tiny bit more warm (I actually prefer Gabrielle in colour to Fire). Because it is creamier, it looks slightly deeper when you test them side by side on your hand, but it really isn't. I tried taking a photo of the two side by side, but my camera battery died, so I will have to do that some other time. On my lips, the difference is negligible, and noticeable only as the lipstick start to wear off - with Fire I start noticing some bluish undertones (even though it is a fairly true red), while I am not seeing any bluish undertones with Gabrielle.
4) Price - OUCH!!!!! I know you'd be hard pressed to find a dept. store lippy for less than $30 these days, and I thought RA at $35 is a luxury in itself, when this baby rolls out at $38 CAD!!!!! With taxes, about $42 CAD. I know Guerlain's "bullet" lippy is even more expensive than that, but honestly, I think anything over $30 is just waaaay too much. While I didn't have any issues dishing out $35 for RA, not sure I feel same for Rouge Coco as aside from the GORGEOUS range of colours, I can't say the formula is so groundbreaking as RA was, for example, when it came out.
But, as I said, the colour range is gorgeous and I already set my eyes on a nice natural daytime colour in Mademoiselle (which is the colour Vanessa Paradis wears in the ad). It is possible that I will appreaciate the creaminess a bit more with that colour as it is more of natural/nudey rose. I will update!
Final score - 4 lippies. I like the colour very much and the texture is good enough, so I do want to own it in my red lipstick collection. If you like creamier lipsticks and don't mind shelling out $$$$, you will definitely want to check out these babies. The colours are to die for, I think I liked at least half of the colours I saw.