Jherri Redding One 'n Only Color Fix

Jherri Redding One 'n Only Color Fix

3.6

on 2/28/2010 10:25:00 PM

I've been dying my hair black for years( 7+) and I wanted to switch to a dark brown. I bought this product at Sally for $12.99 a box. I have thick hair that sits just below my shoulders. I was able to get 2 treatments out of 1 box. I did not do step 3. I left the 1st round on for 25 minutes and it lightened the top 4 inches of my hair to a reddish light brown shade. It did nothing on the last 5-6 inches of my hair. So the second round went only on the bottom and I left it on for 40 minutes. It lightened it a teeny bit but it is still close to black, so now I have a light brown top with blackish ends that are 5-6 inches long. I washed my hair twice with clarifying shampoo and then conditioned for 5 minutes at the end. I have to get some dye to even this out and I am hoping I can get away with a dark brown. If not it will be back to black and this was a wasted effort. It does smell bad, but it's no worse than perm solution. Would I recommend this? Maybe to people who don't have numerous layers of color on their head that's not black, but I think bleaching is inevitable if you have layers of black on your hair...unfortunately.
I also read some reviews that said the hair re-darkened after awhile so if mine does I'll edit this to reflect that issue.

on 1/29/2010 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Grey, Kinky, Medium

This was great when I needed home color correction - it always did a fabulous job of removing artificial color easily & fully from my hair(depending on how long I left it on - once I fell alseep for 2 hrs with it on & nothing adverse happened to my hair, it's surprisingly GENTLE, albeit very smelly). It never damaged my hair but left it in respectable condition (considering that I was a colorholic), & was able to recolor my hair immediately afterward.

I got the kit from Folica for $16 & I didn't need to use the liquid lotion (which I think is peroxide), just the foul-smelling pigment remover gel. Instructions are straightforward & I never worry about losing the instructions b/c they're printed directly on the inside of the box.

The rotten-egg sulfur smell is nasty but the results make it totally worthwhile. I don't know if this is still sold on the market, it's been several yrs since I last used it. The last time I had to strip my hair of dark color I used Color Oops! from the drugstore for $13 which was a new product that came out & did just as good a job & was much simpler to use (just like mixing together any drugstore haircolor). So I liked Color Oops! a lot too.

ONO Color Fix is much better IMO but also more difficult to measure (you have to mix up specific quantities in a bowl & buy your own applicator supplies, use a non-metallic bowl, etc)....but it's not really hard work...all you need is some common sense & a little faith that it will work.

Keep in mind it's made to remove only artificial pigment put in by haircoloring - it won't return your hair to your natural pre-colored state, you will have hair that is partially unpigmented & likely in the brassy yellow-orange range. It doesn't remove whatever is left of your own natural pigment, so you won't have bleached white hair (unless you previously completely bleached it out on purpose). You have to recolor. But now you'll have a fresh canvas for the new color that will come out clean, not muddy. I've learned from experience if you use a lighter color over a previous darker color, it won't re-lighten the hair like it would have on virgin hair. That's what Color Fix is for - to remove the old pigment so you can put on different pigment, particularly when it's lighter in color. Artificial pigment...what a crazy invention...drives us nuts. Color Fix to the rescue.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I used this product two days in a row in hopes of getting rid of my black and red hair dye and possibly lightening to a medium brown. I had to use two boxes each time because I have really long hair which is also super, super thick. When I used the first two products I was amazed at how all of the black hair dye was removed. My hair was left a burgundy-brown but the ends of my hair were bright red. My hair was also super soft and silky, which was really surprising. The next day I used it again in hopes of getting rid of the red, but it instead made my hair a very bright orange-red. I was really scared that the red would be too powerful to color over with a hairdye. My initial goal was to lighten my hair to a noticeable light brown or medium brown. When I redyed my hair, I used Schwarzkopf Igora Royal in shades 6-0 and 7-0. I was scared of buying a hair dye that was too dark because I didn't want my hair to turn dark again, but I was also afraid of buying something that was too light and not cover the crazy red color I had. I had to buy four boxes so that I could cover all of my hair. I used 20 volume peroxide with the dye as well. I left the dye on for about 20 minutes and was shocked at how dark my hair had become. Sadly, it looks the same as it did before I removed any of the color. I am pretty disappointed as I spent around $100 on all of these products and had no noticeable difference as a result. The only positive is that my hair actually feels silkier and softer and not damaged at all. I'm not sure how my hair will look when I wash it and when the dye begins to fade. I'm hoping it will turn into a lighter shade of brown. I'm really scared that the powerful red color I have underneath will begin to peek through. Another positive result that came from the color remover is that it made my face framing blonde highlights much brighter and lighter. It removed any brassiness my highlights had.

on 11/23/2009 11:28:00 PM

I don't see anything for the L'oreal Haircolor Remover Kit, so I'm putting it here, because if I have to redo the procedure, I'm using the Color Fix. Anyway, in the box you'll get easy to follow instuctions with gloves, remover powder, and the puroxide liquid. I grabbed the last box at Walgreens today for a little over $6(normally a little over $12) as a last chance sale. Now, since this is drying, I deep condition before and after by using an olive oil replenishing pak that I got at CVS for a little over a dollar. Instructions tell you to do a strand test, but I don't. I get right down to it(Use 2 days after you've washed hair. Yeah, yucky, but that's what it says!) I have used this many times before, like when I had to remove black dye(the toughest to remove), and it worked well(and it doesn't smell bad), removing the dye and leaving me with a light auburn. I then recolored to a medium auburn with no problems. So, after mixing the bottles together, you will wait from 50 min. to an hour if hair is dark, 20-50 min. if hair is medium, 10-20 min. if hair is light, and 3-5 min. if pastel tone(hair then would be a yellow). When result is reached, rinse thoroughly and shampoo. Dry hair. You can now recolor, or if result was not achieved, wait a day and redo. Now remember, you will not have your natural hair color, it should be of an auburn shade(I used peroxide in my hair as a teen and that's what this reminds me of). You MUST recolor hair! The kit is enough for average length hair, so plan on an extra box if you have long and thick hair. Put up hair in sections and apply to bottom of hair first as it's the darkest, and work your way up to the root area(not scalp). Also, if your color is black or dark brown, you may have to repeat the procedure, or leave on for a full hour(like I did). If you do have to repeat, wait a day and redo. Now, if after you have done this procedure and you want to recolor your hair to a much lighter shade than your natural hair color, it says to use a lightener. I like this kit because it's simple and to the point. Not too many bottles to fumble around with as if you're working on a chemistry experiment. UPDATE:Don't need a redo as everything came out great! Instead of my dark brown/burgundy shade, I now have a strawberry blonde shade, kind of like a light penny color (after using Colorsilk's Dark Ash Blonde). Not bad, it's a bit pretty but also a bit light, so I'm going to try out Colorsilk's Light Reddish Brown.

on 11/23/2008 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I have had my hair jet blue black for going on 7 years after a huge hair disaster with streaks at a hair salon which left my hair 6 inches shorter!! I decided that it was easy for me to do and looked great. Anyway for the last year or so I have been really wanting my hair to be a super dark brown/black as I was feeling like the jet blk was starting to look a little harsh...I just wanted to bring my hair color down to a med/dark brown nothing drastic and nothing too damaging but from the tramatic streak experience I was not about to go to a salon to get it done! Anyway I fell onto Folica's website about color fix and read through almost all the reviews which got me excited to give it a shot! I recieved it 2 days later at my door and did a strand test immediatly!

For my full head I mixed:
1 ounce of bottle # 1
1 ounce of bottle #2
1 ounce of shampoo

latherd it into my hair and left it for 30 minutes...it left my roots a med brown and from mid shaft down blk still, so then I mixed:

1 ounce of bottle #1
1 ounce of bottle #2

and put it on the still blk hair for an hour...bam it was all even!! Down to a dark mahogany brown. Then I decided to do the first mix again and left it for 30 minutes and now my hair is a med brown with my roots a tad lighter which is fine! I am going to wait a week to dye it again for fear of uneven coloring on the ends.

I recommend putting K Pack deep reconsructor onto the hair everyday for a half hr to 'fill' in the porous area's, it's a miracle worker! Sorry for the long post but try it!~ It is incredibly gentle! Even for my super duper fine hair!

on 9/28/2008 3:56:00 PM

Read the instructions!

IT DOES NOT WORK ON DEMI, SEMI, NON-PERMANENT COLORS.

IT ONLY WORKS ON PERMANENT HAIRCOLOR.

It's great if you do it's the appropriate product, but don't expect it to do what it won't.

*It often won't work over semi-permanent color, metallic based color, or Feria.
*It won't restore your original color, duh, that color was gone when you colored your hair in the first place, it's GONE.
*If your hair is super dark, the first time you'll get halloween orange hair. Do it one more time full strength. Then you may still have to be bleached, but your hair will still be 1000 times better off than if you try to lift the entire dark color with the bleach.
*If you have orange or red, and can live with brown hair, just use a green, blue, or whatever is the correct base color to counteract the orange or red. Get help if you can't do this.

They should be more clear about the stupid last step, though.

After you rinse according to the instructions, rinse more. The dye molecules are invisible, but going down the drain.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Garbage!!! Complete waste of my time and gave me false hope I'd get the dye out! So I had made the mistake of coloring my beautifully salon colored blonde hair with a warm #4. I thought I was getting dark brown.... no.... she made me black. It looked awful but I gave it a good four months or so thinking it would fade. After months of waiting and missing my light hair all I had faded to was a very muddy shade of dark brown. I decided to try Color Fix based on the reviews and wow, what I waste. I followed the instructions perfectly and did the application for full color removal. I skipped the processing lotion based on other reviews I'd read here. I was sooo happy when this product left my hair a light orange like others said it would. I decided to give my hair a few days to recoup before applying an all over color to cancel out the orange. Well, guess what, in three days my hair completely darkened back up to that nasty dark reddish brown. Notice I mentioned I did NOT use the processing lotion. I have no clue what went wrong seeing as how I did not wash my hair or touch it with any products during those three days. I was so bummed to be back to that nasty dark shade. I am completely mystified how some have had awesome results with this product but I ended up dark all over again without even messing with my hair. So pretty much it was a waste of me.

Now... fast forward to the present.... I decided I'd leave it up to the professionals. I went to the salon and the girl used L'Oreals hair color remover on me and wow, what a difference. We highlighted and colored over the stripped orange hair the same night and my hair has NOT redarkened. I would definitely recommend L'Oreal's product over ColorFix.

The good thing about Color Fix was it didn't trash my hair. It felt slightly dryer than normal but a good conditioning mask took care of that problem. I wouldn't suggest it though if your hair is already very damaged (as in very dry, brittle, breaking, etc). If your hair is already pretty damaged I'd go see a professional because they can assess just how much more chemicals your hair can take!

Oh, and Color Fix will NOT give you your natural hair color back. That's impossible. The dyes you use chemically alter the pigments in your hair. You will be left with some sort of orange/red color that you will need to cancel out with the appropriate shade of haircolor. Consult the color wheel (or better yet, a pro) for this!

Being a sucker for punishment.. I color my hair after finally growing my natural out ( after MANY years) I only used a Semi Permanent color, but instead of it washing out in 24-28 shampoos, it did not wash out AT ALL! needless to say, I was a touch miffed by this turn of events.. I tried fixing the color with permanent color, but did not like the results. I ended up with hair that had too much red tone.
So, upon doing TONS of research into color correction, I tracked down this product. I consider myself incredibly lucky that a Sallys Beauty Supply had just opened in Nepean ( hard stuff to find in Canada.) So I made the trip and took the plunge.
This stuff is a god send. I skipped the 3rd step completely. No harm done. What I did do was mix 1 tbsp each of the color reducer and conditioning Catalyst with 1 tbsp of my Matrix Biolage shampoo (hydrating) and worked said mixture into my hair, left it on for 5-7 minutes, rinsed and checked the results. I repeated the process ( same mixture, I was able to get 2 uses out of the first mix) and then rinsed and conditioned. The next day, I repeated the process 2 more times. I was left with a light auburn color, that I did not mind, but I wanted it closer to my natural color. So i used L'oreal preference natural light ash brown. I only left the hair color in my hair for about 7-8 minutes as Color fix leaves your hair rather porous. ( I could not find the proper protein filler.. any suggestions? .. however i did use a color primer)
So I am a medium ash brown with minimal golden tones. NO RED TONES! * yay* I love the end result. the color is not fading at all and the most important part.. Color Fix did NOT destroy my hair like bleach would have. A little dry, but definately not fried. the product is low odor.. reminds me of a perm kit actually. so nothing major. I also have tons of product left. ( in case of emergency..lol) I hope to never need it again as I really would like to finally stop dying my hair, but if I do screw it up down the road, I have this saving grace waiting for me.. :) the price was not too bad either, comparable to a bleach kit.
Edit: )3/15/2009 well I decided to give it another go, as hair dye was building up on the ends. still does the trick, and I have since discovered the "hair loss" I was experiencing had nothing to do with color fix. ( what is the cause of my hair loss?? will find that out soon enough.) anywho, I do like this for removing the color for more even application. I decided to go against what many said about going 1-2 shades lighter, as that just ran me into a heap of trouble. I like dark brown hair, and I only get a true dark brown hair color from ( drum roll please ..) A dark brown hair dye! gasp! I just cut the processing time down to about 10-12 minutes with a few extra minutes dedicated to the roots to even things out. Also, I used Ion reconstructor treatment after the Color fix, than dried and dyed right after.. no problems.. I also left the Hair dye conditioning treatment on for about 10 min under a processing cap.. Great results, my hair looks better than before I colorfixed it. :)

on 5/30/2008 3:52:00 PM

So I had LAYERS of color on my hair from perpetually 'trying to get it right'. It got to a point where it was like russian roulette - my hairdresser would put an ash blonde and it would come out a caramel. I have naturally light ash blonde but have bleached it so many times and was trying to put lowlights back in but didn't like the colour. So I ended up wanting to start from scratch. I bought this and it worked great! It took out all the dye - but it does not take out natural colour. NOTE: Your hair will be orange to some extent. Because under all my colour there was bleach (which doesn't come out) it was a very light warm blonde, but if you started off with dark hair you will be quite orange. Don't be alarmed. If you started off with black hair and put a 20vol black permanent colour on it, it will lift and deposit. Meaning it will lighten a bit then put colour back in. So all you see is that it looks the same, but really your natural hair was turned to orange by the peroxide and the dye was deposited to make it dark again. SO when you take out the dye you WILL have orange hair. All you need to do is either tone it, or recolor it. The product did not damage my hair more than it was (and it was quite dry) it actually made it a bit better as it took all the layers of gunk off. I would buy again for sure!
p.s. you MUST MUST rinse it well or your hair will redarken. I'm talking ridiculous length of time. This stuff only shrinks the colour molecules so they can be washed away - if not they will expand again and get 'stuck' again in the hair shaft thus making hair dark again. That is why you get that last bottle, it forces them to expand sooner, so you can see where you didn't wash properly.

on 12/3/2007 7:28:00 PM

This is used for removing darker colors from lighter hair. Bad dye jobs aren't forever or expensive to fix!

My hair is naturally dark blonde with lots of blonder streaks through it. People think I highlight my hair after the summer sun gets hold of it. I wanted a little more depth to color since it was a little washed out looking and requested brown/red lowlights from hairdresser. She recommended all over color and I agreed - only if it was semi-permanent (thank god for that!) Well, I ended up with very red hair. Yuck. I felt like a clown. My saving grace was that knew the color would fade after 3 months, but I really did not want to wait that long!

Dreading the thought of going to work like that, I searched around the internet for ideas on how to get rid of the color. I saw ideas from dish detergent to prell to olive oil when I came across tons of reviews for this product at http://www.folica.com/one__n_only_Col_r312_11.html I rushed to nearest Sally's to buy it for ~$12

Now, the product instructions say it may not work for semi-permanent color, but I figured the results couldn't be that much worse than clown hair.

Product comes with 3 bottles: 1 color remover, 1 activator, and 1 processor. I mixed 1/2 remover and 1/2 activator, left on for 20 minutes and covered hair with plastic bag - you may want to use a cap though :) Instructions say that using the optional processor may darken hair again, so I did not use that.

Results? It lightened my hair dramatically to a very light auburn hair with lots of golden highlights. Almost my own color, and almost what I was looking for in the first place. Instructions say you can use more than once, so I did it again, this time for 35 minutes. Hair is now strawberry blonde with loads of my original blonde highlights. Many reviews at the folica site said it worked great on black dye jobs, and it works regardless of texture/thickness of hair. Perhaps the red color was a different type of dye, but for me, it was more effective on the brown.

Instructions say it does not work for metallic or direct dyes, only oxidative dyes. Semi permanent color is said to be a mix of these, so it may work better on permanent color dye.

My hair is parched, crispy and dull after the dye, but isn't any more crispy after using this. (A hot oil treatment helps somewhat with the crispies, but it is still very dull looking) The Color Fix does stink sort of like a perm solution which lingers through several washings - small trade off.

I would certainly use this again if I ever had to, although I won't be dying my hair again any time soon! I don't know why color professionals don't know about this product, but rest assured: my colorist will!

This does not contain bleach or peroxide. There is also a product called ColorZap which does contain bleaching agents, and that is a big reason why I chose ColorFix instead.