NARS Cosmetics Zen

NARS Cosmetics Zen
ZenNARS zenNARS Zen

4.5

Zen is a great colour on my fair-medium NE Asian complexion. I normally use it together with Mata Hari or Outlaw, which creates a nice combination without looking too busy. It is a very versatile colour and the matt effect will never be too wrong. It is slightly similar to Sertao, which I love, but is a matt version. Be careful when applying as you may end up looking dirty if too much of this product sits on your cheeks. Will possibly buy again but I doubt it'd run out quickly!

on 7/17/2008 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I bought this at the suggestion of a NARS MUA. I'm very fair and need just subtle color. This is not flattering to me at all. I think I need a hint of rose in the nude tone. I like that it is matte and the texture is very good- goes on smoothly, never streaky.

on 5/16/2008 8:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I was looking for a neutral blush to contour, this one has absolutely no pink to it and having a matte finish makes it great for subtly contouring my face. Great texture, what I love about NARS blushers is that they're very sheer allowing you to perfectly layer without fear of looking overdone or muddy. A great catch.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

My first nars blush. and definetely won't be the last! Zen to me is not really a blush (blush is more like pinks and corals to me ), it is more like a very pretty neutral subtle colour to contour the face. my boyfriend loves it on me, says it looks very natural - not like a blush at all. this is how I do the contouring and naturally highlight my cheekbones: I suck my cheeks in and sweep zen with mac 188 brush (just like 187 but little bit smaller) under my cheek bones and then with 187 or another powder brush blend in upwards. looks veeery natural. BTW I have fair skin (I wear fairly light in ID minerals and have some freckles, hardly ever tan), so zen is good for me, girls with darker skintone should go for a shade deeper than Zen.

***Edit Sept 2009***
Funny but sometimes Zen looks great on me and sometimes.. muddy.. It must be my skin as it is very inconsistent anyways, I am still in pursuit of a neutral color blush and use Zen as contour color on unmuddy days. Btw I use it as an eyeshadow sometimes and it looks great for that nomakeup look.

***Edit Jan 2011***
I really dislike NARS packaging. The rubbery black packaging gets so dirty and it is sooo hard to clean :( Plus the lids break of easily. I love how NARS is written all te way across the entire product, such a sleek and modern look but I wished they changed the actual material. sigh...

on 4/3/2008 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a really nice shade to use as a bronzer, it gives me a very natural looking healthy flush of colour without looking orange or muddy. I used to dislike the NARS packaging, but I actually love it now because it is small and thin, taking up hardly any room. I use this when I want a natural look, and put NARS Sertao over the top of this when I want a little shimmer and I'm more made up.

on 3/21/2008 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I am very fair with cool, pink coloring and this nude blush actually works for me. I didn't think it would, that it would be too warm for my skintone. But it does works for me AND looks good. I was pleasantly surprised.

Zen has no shimmer and is wonderfully pigmented. A great blush!

on 2/28/2008 11:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

This blush was a very welcome surprise to me...i received it BN in a swap last year, and quickly found the love for it! In the pan, its a very plain, brownish/nude color with a hint of a blushed color...by the way, I am an NC35....I hear again and again on MUA from other NC35 and NC30's that this color doesn't show on them...i beg to differ...for myself at least, it shows up quite nicely...i like to wear this as my "i'm trying to look like i'm not wearing blush" color....it also works quite well as a contouring color...

Quite a few times, i have worn this (or my favorite, Lovejoy) with a bit of MAC Beauty Powder in Sunsparked Pearl or MSF in Stereo Rose on top of this, and the color really POPS!

If you are looking for a very simply, NO SPARKLE, neutral shade, this may be it for you too!!!
continued >>

on 2/1/2008 10:19:00 AM

I needed a blush to use as a contour powder and I thought this would look better than bronzers being more neutral. It does not. It looks muddy on my pale cool toned skin. I have later found better products for this purpose: Cargo Molokai, Sue Devitt Tralee, Shu Uemura M amber 85.

on 1/31/2008 11:01:00 PM

Really love this. And only bought it due to the reviews here. This is the perfect slighty pinked beigey brown matte bronzer for a PPP/LLL who has ruddy cheeks. I never would have looked at this on my own because it looks too warm and slightly orangey in the pan, but on it's great. This on the cheeks, a little bit of gray brown liner, and a little Zen on the lids and a slick of lip balm and it's the perfect casual day face. Love this and have worn it every day since I bought it 3 weeks ago.
Me: strawberry blonde, green eyes, Nars Deauville, Mac NC20

on 1/28/2008 1:38:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I've used Zen for years when I've gotten the Skin Deep palettes(*weeps for SD!*),and I finally decided to go and buy a full sized one.
I agree with Daphers about the rosacea; I don't have it but I do have a ruddy Irish complexion and rose/pink in a blush is not always flattering,and if you have light skin this works well as a bronzer/cheek sculpter.It is matte but a bit of highlighter will give it a nice sheen if that's what you're looking for.

Popular Blush Products