Crisco for Hair and Body

4.4

Price: $

Price: $

SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

on 2/28/2009 11:03:00 AM

I initially stumbled upon the use of Crisco as a skin mosturizer in a book, "World's Best Kept Secrets," by Diane Irons. I was already desperate in finding a non-cortisone treatment for my son's bad eczema that I was willing to try almost anything. Accordingly, it was used in hospitals as well and referred to as 'Cream C.'

A year of using this proved to be a godsend! My son's skin have never been better. After each shower or bath with savon de marseilles, while the skin is damp, we would massage Crisco all over his body. It keeps him well moisturized and his skin supple. No more alligator and itchy skin!

I decided to experiment and whipped a cup of Crisco to improve its texture. To boost its moisturizing properties, I added 2 tablespoons each of pure shea butter and cocoa butter that I purchased from the heath food store plus 2 drops of lavender essential oil. All of us in the family use this concoction and my husband swears that it helped calms his rosacea and rid of the flakiness. When I went to have massage recently, the therapist commented on my well-hydrated skin and was amazed when I told her I use Crisco, LOL.

on 1/20/2009 4:19:00 AM

Absolutely wonderful!
My new HG!

So yeah I am actually writing a review for Crisco. I have been using this on my feet (right before putting socks on to sleep), hands and cuticles, under my eyes, and on the red patches on my cheeks for about a few weeks to a month now. This is all applied at night, by the way. In the morning, my face seems less irritated and instead smoother. Under my eyes seems smoother and definitely more moist. They used to be very dry and flaky when applying various makeup products. My feet have become remarkably smoother. They are typically very rough an scaly, especially in the winter. I haven't noticed a huge change in my hands, however.

I prefer a whipped consistency with any moisturizer, so I blended it first with a kitchen blender. Then, I place the product in an empty body butter container. It works perfectly, and is very convenient.

Pros: I have noticed changes in my skin for the better (esp. under the eyes). It is very cheap, easy, and readily available.

Cons: It doesn't seem to ever really sink into my skin. I will follow another reviewer who applied this to moist skin and see if it makes a difference.

Don't knock it til you try it ;)

on 1/14/2009 10:37:00 PM

This works really well for me. I like it MUCH better than the butters and balms that I've gotten over the years from all kinds of "pure" and natural sources, and trust me, I've been a whole foods consumer since my college days, so I've tried dozens and dozens over the years.

I would liken it very much to straight shea butter, better than what I've gotten from L'Occitane. It goes on easily, doesn't have off smells or notes of rancidness, and it contains anti-oxidants. Wonderful. I use it nightly on all the rough spots, feet, elbows, cuticles and hands, and I use it a couple of times a week on my whole body. I like to use it after I've showered so it is helping to hold moisture in as well as providing fatty acids and vitamin E. I don't use it on my entire face as I have a face routine that I like, but during the winter I do use it on my forehead and chin which seem to chap a bit in the cold weather and it provides noticeable improvement. I put it on after my moisturizer; I use it sparingly and rub it between my fingertips before applying and it doesn't feel particularly greasy -- it feels like shea butter and it's completely absorbed by morning. My heels have never looked better and my elbows feel almost as soft as the inner skin of my arm. I'm totally pleased and it's not because of the cost, it's because it really is working better than almost all the other winter skin care products I've tried.

I'm not using any additional body balms, butters or lotions this winter, just the Crisco and my skin looks and feels smooth and soft -- no chicken skin, no red bumps, and no flakiness.

I did mix a little peppermint oil into some to use on my feet when they feel tired. It's soothing, smells good and makes my feet and me feel better.

I'm very pleased I tried it, it's a winner for me.

on 1/14/2009 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I started using Crisco on my feet, donning some socks, and heading for bed each night for the past two weeks. All I will tell you is that my feet are absolutely lovely, and they are as soft as a child's. I can't wait until summer when I can wear cute sandals and show them off.

Crisco is essentially hydrogenated cottonseed oil. Cottonseed oil will supply your skin with fatty acids but it's not particularly penetrative, hence the greasy feel that a lot of people report. It's not a bad product if you have nothing else available, but there are MUCH better DIY options available if you want something effective and cheap. Plus they don't make you smell like an unbaked pie crust! Shea butter (preferably unrefined), coconut oil, cocoa butter, avocado butter, mango butter, etc. are all solid at room temperature. The texture may be somewhat more balm-like than Crisco, but texture can be altered by melting and addition of liquid (at room temp) oils such as jojoba, almond, olive oil, etc. and allowing to resolidify. The butters can also be melted and whipped with a hand mixer to introduce air into the preparation. Plus essential oils, etc. can be added for therapeutic and aroma benefits. Raw materials are usually readily available at nutritional stores, whole foods and online at soap supply sites and ebay. These types of fats are demonstrably better for your skin than Crisco and with a little effort just as reasonably priced.

on 1/9/2009 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Unfortunately this is like every other oil. It just sits on your skin and doesn't sink in or hydrate. I tried it and it did my skin no good at all and went back to using Palmers Cocoa Butter.

on 1/8/2009 10:55:00 PM

Love it! The trick is to use sparingly. But for my very dry hands, crisco is a life saver. I take it out of the Crisco can and put it in an old body butter tub I have, the squirt a shot of my favorite perfume ( just one a small shot ) and mix with a clean spoon. Then I pop the lid on and store it in my purse or along side my bed. Just a touch here and there and my hands and nails are in great shape.

on 12/31/2008 4:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

when i was a little girl,my grandmother and my mother use to use this to keep their skin beautiful.I remember my mother when she spread the crisco all over her face and body and and telling me"niņa ,if you always use this, your gona have a beautiful skin"well,she was right , i'm still using this and i have very nice skin.(sorry for my english, i'm learning).I really recomend this to all the people who wants to keep a beautiful skin, specially as a body cream

on 12/31/2008 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Laugh if you will, but I'm telling you, in just 3 days this has helped my skin so much. Is it greasy - yes. Does it feel a little gross putting it on - yes, yes. But I can tell you that in a few days, I have seriously softer and more supple skin. I apply at night before bed and in the moring my skin looks fantastic. I would not recommend trying this during the day. It has also repaired a dry, scaly patch on my hand that reappears at every change in the weather. For the 2.75 it cost me to purchase, I will definitely be holding on to this as a cost effective beauty secret! I think this may be too much for younger complexions who don't need as much hydration, but great for those of us in maintenance mode :)

Popular Body Skincare Products