September 17, 2014 | 1263 users online

Skincare - Body - Crisco

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2008 1:09:00 PM More reviews by chemchick

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I went to Sephora a couple weeks ago and the makeup consultant said that my skin needed some major hydration. At 27, my skin doesn't have the acne breakouts as in high school, but my skin was so dry that it felt taut and I could feel and see wrinkles forming around my eyes and forehead. I needed a good moisturizer.

I did some online research and found good reviews here for Neutrogena anti-wrinkle day and night cream. They worked okay for me, but my skin still felt parched. The one moisturizer in the past that did wonders for me was Lancome Nutribel which, at an expensive $47 a pop, became discontinued several years ago.

I read about Crisco--a vegetable shortening, not lard--doing wonders for people's faces. I was surprised and skeptical at the idea of putting a cooking product on my face. I was also concerned that it would cause me to break out.

Nevertheless, Crisco has remarkably improved my skin and has not caused a single breakout. I put it on within three minutes of taking a shower--to keep hydration in--and I put it on at night. Though it glides greasy, in the morning, my skin is soft, supple, and it even smoothed out some bumps on my cheeks! My fiance thought I was silly for putting Crisco on my face, but he also noticed how softer my skin was.

I'm amazed at the results of putting Crisco on my face. The wrinkles around my mouth and forehead are much improved, and even the deep lines on my neck are less noticeable! Though other people may still cringe at the idea of putting vegetable shortening on skin, I've found that it is a miracle moisturizer, my HG, for me!

UPDATE: I just wanted to write again saying that I am still using Crisco and I've been recommending it to other women, many of whom are doubtful or disgusted at the idea. But it's worked well for me and I have not bought any other skin lotion since using Crisco.

UPDATE#2: I am still using Crisco as my HG moisturizer. I just wanted to give a word of advice to those of you who did not see any benefits from using it. The way to keep hydration in is to introduce hydration first, such as by taking a shower, washing your face. Very quickly afterwards apply the Crisco. That's what I always do and it keeps my skin always hydrated. What's funny is that I am close to 30 yrs old yet whenever I go into the mall, women always commenting how youthful I look, even telling me that I look 16 or 18 (don't know if that's a good thing though...)

23 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/6/2009 11:15:00 PM More reviews by JeanJorts

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Would I buy this again for baking cookies, or a pie? Yes. Would I buy this again to use as a skincare product/moisturizer? No.

Plain and simply put: This makes me break out.

I've been using it sparingly on my face for the last three days. Today, I noticed that my face is breaking out. I have probably eight very small whiteheads in various places on my face. I have oily skin, that's kinda-sorta acne-prone. I usually break out once/month, however, these teeny tiny little whiteheads are not the norm for me, even if I'm having a break-out.

As a body product, it's so-so. I mix a very small amount with my regular lotion, and apply it to my body. It keeps my skin from getting itchy...however, it also leaves my skin feeling greasy.

Sorry to burst the "good rating bubble" on Crisco! But, it's not for me... *~*~*~*~*EDIT*~*~*~*~* Wow, if I could give this sh*t a -5 lippies, I would! I stopped using it on my face after only a few days, because I noticed teeny whiteheads all over my face (which, I usually do not get.) However, I kept mixing in the Crisco with my regular body lotion, for the next few days. HUGE MISTAKE! I broke out TERRIBLY all over my chest! I had itty bitty whiteheads (I'd say a good 20 of them) all over my chest....it was TERRIBLE! continued >>

15 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2008 2:27:00 PM More reviews by emarlene

OMG am I happy that I tried this to remove my mascara! I just rubbed a tiny bit into my eyelashes and it TOTALLY removed all of the mascara. Haven't tried it for any other purpose...but I probably will. HG eyemakeup remover, IMHO.
EDIT: And before you say 'ew' or knock other people for trying 'new' things, keep in mind that shortening is oil...which is in a good number of body lotions, etc. Some of the simplest products out there perform better than the more complicated (and absurdly expensive!) 'high' end cosmetics with a fancy label. Take Vaseline, or coconut oil, for example...

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2010 5:24:00 PM More reviews by WendyW

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My gyn recommended Crisco for preimenopausal vaginal dryness. At first I thought she had to be kidding. However, after many attempts to stop the itching, Crisco is the best so far. I've used A&D ointment, Vaseline, CeraVe (worked second best to Crisco), hydrocordone cream, coconut oil, etc. and the Crisco is the best so far. I use a small Pampered Chef glass container with lid to store about a 1/4 cup This way I don't have a tub of Crisco in my bathroom or bedroom. It's working great on my hands and feet too. Makes them soft and suprisingly not greasy. Haven't tried on my face yet, I think I may.

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2009 2:10:00 PM More reviews by GraceSlick

I cannot believe I'm about to type this....but....I...l...love Crisco! I currently have had fantastic results with using nothing but plain old oil on my face as a m/u remover AND moisturizer. My face was always oily AND dry with cystic acne. I started using EVOO on my face, and while that calmed the pimples down and cleared me up, it kinda dried me out. Then I switched to Ponds cold cream. I love the way this sinks in after I apply it right after a shower, but I hate the smell. It smells like old lady. Then, thanks to MUA, I read about Crisco. I bought the plain kind and have been using it this weekend as a moisturizer. It was wonderful! I love it, it feels like it sinks in deep, AND no smell! Perfect! Even after the first day my skin was less red and calmed. I think I found a keeper!

*edit* okay....there IS a smell. It is very slight, and more noticable if you've just smelled something fragrant (like perfume) and then smelled crisco. THEN the vegetable oil smell is apparent. Not very strong at all though....and my boyfriend prefers this MUCH more to ponds and olive oil.

I still love this....the most noticable change in my skin has been the calming of redness and a more 'youthful' appearance. I have a 14 year old sister who has the nicest skin and "glow" from within, and my skin kinda looks like that now. I'm going to try to add some essential oils and see if that makes a difference in the smell.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2008 2:38:00 AM More reviews by MaBoogins

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I had heard about some women using this in their hair and also using it for a moisturizer. I became a little bit frightened, but VERY intruiged. I looked at the contents of Crisco and there are very few things that make up Crisco and none of them sounded too horrible for skin.
It's Winter in New England, and my nose and forehead have been SO dry, it's ridiculous. My skin was cracked. I decided to try Crisco and was fully prepared to wake up with a face full of pimples. (Mind you, I have acne-prone skin, so this was really scary!)
I woke up with smooth, supple skin. After 3 days, my skin was no longer cracked, dry, flakey... just... well moisturized. My foundation now applies like a dream. No cracked skin visible because there IS NONE!
I also tried this in my hair and it makes my curly hair look great! My hair isn't frizzy with Crisco in it.
I know it sounds strange, but it's SO inexpensive... honestly... just try it!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2009 1:24:00 PM More reviews by pertiegurlie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Works like a dream, costs almost nothing, happy skin.

I whisked Crisco with the contents of a few Vitamin E & flaxseed oil pills, and I have that in a little jar.

I apply it on a damp face. Under-eye, cheeks, everywhere.

It absorbs fast & leaves lovely soft, firm skin. If there's any residual grease left after a few minutes, I towel it off.

Crisco has soybean oil, which heals and moisturizes, and cottonseed oil.

If you're allergic to either oil, don't use this, obviously. Otherwise, I think Crisco will make a great cream, I got better results with it than with Nivea, or L'Occitane, or any Body Shop products.
***UPDATE***I'm taking off a lippie because I noticed that when I woke up in the morning, my skin was a bit bumpy, with a closeup look, I saw that my pores were clogged. I attribute this to the Crisco. So I have to say: it's great for once in a while, a nice skin-firming moisturizing boost...but not for daily use, definitely.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2008 1:49:00 PM More reviews by anuvasan

I have been using for a short time. So this review might have some updates later!

My recipe : Take a small bowl. Scoop out Crisco butter flavor (has betacarotene and Vit A as indicated in the package). Fluff it up like whipped cream with a immersion blender. I do this as i dont like the texture of the crisco. The end result is all light stuff.

Can be used as a eyecream, face cream, for hair split ends.

The small batch i tested worked well. I am going to try adding strong coffee to crisco and blend and use it for the same purpose i mentioned above. I might get a good caffeine loaded cream which i see now hyped almost in every magazine! Will update in a month.

Thanks for reading.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2009 4:25:00 AM More reviews by barkercakes

I was not even a little skeptical about trying this. Everyone seems so shocked by it when they first hear it! I will never spend 100$ on face cream again. I waited 3 months after using this so it wasnt a fluke that my skin was looking soooo good! But its true, a miracle in my eyes. My skin is super soft, clearer, and smoother.. it seriously is amazing. I use it morning and night. Granted I dont have acne prone skin and maybe get a little outbreak once a month but I haven't had a single pimple yet!!! Give it a shot, if it doesn't work you are out like what.. 5$??
ps. I whip it with a good amount of my perfume. The texture and scent dramatically improves.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2009 12:58:00 AM More reviews by soniawonia

This is like a very expensive body butter, that left you broke and only able to afford cucumber sandwiches for weeks. But it's Crisco. Moisturizes for hours like nobodies business. I'm glad I listened to all the great reviews. A little goes a very long way. Highly recommended.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No