October 21, 2014 | 1785 users online

Styling Products - TRESemme - Thermal Creations Volumizing Mousse

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2014 2:11:00 AM More reviews by drawingasquare

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm really surprised to see the negative reviews here. I actually really like this mousse! I've been using it for a little while now, basically every time I wash and dry my hair (so, 3-4 days a week).

I almost always end up blow-drying my hair but want to avoid damage as much as possible. For reference, my hair is pretty healthy. I don't color it or chemically treat it in any way, and I get it trimmed regularly, so it's in fairly decent shape, but I want to keep it that way! So, I like to use products that protect my hair from heat. I usually apply this when my hair is about 60% dry and then blow-dry until it's about 90% dry. I've scrunched my hair with it before, and it seems to hold loose waves fairly well, even on the second or third day (I just touch up a bit with a sea salt spray or even scrunching with damp hands).

I do feel like it adds a bit of volume, although my hair is already on the thickish side. I mainly picked this up for the heat protective element and because I needed something that would keep my hair from frizzing and being generally unmanageable. It helps my hair hold a style well and keeps it from becoming a mess of flyaways. I paid something like $5 for it, and it works pretty well for me, so I will most likely repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/7/2014 3:17:00 PM More reviews by meowsers2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

BOOOOOO! Horrible product! Bought it for the heat protectant and because I would like a little volume. I blow out my hair with a round brush. Hair was SO TANGLED after using this I could barely get a brush through! Hair was dry, crunchy and dull. Looks damaged. Yuck, what a waste!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2014 12:30:00 AM More reviews by flufffycloud9

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Volume for 10+ hours. I'm in love.
This cold and dry winter weather has been giving me a bad (flat/limp/shapeless) hair day for weeks. I was looking for a volumizing mousse to add in to give it some oomph.
I use a golf ball amount lightly spread about my fingertips and work that into the root area of damp hair; repeat once or twice. I still use my normal silkening type products on the damp length (Biolage's Renewal Spray Keritindose) and ends (Joico's K-Pack Color Therapy) but Tresemme's Thermal Volumizing Mousse is the game-changer.
I flip my head upside down and blow dry on medium heat/high wind, using my fingers to create tension at the root while I completely dry each section. Va-voom! Victoria's Secret model hair. That gorgeous volume at the crown and out to the sides from the temples? Accomplished. This has to be what their stylists use. My fine, straight, honey bleached hair has shape that's still soft and pliant.
I don't know how they figured out such a perfect formulation but I am thankful to have found a product that works so well. I've used Aussie's volumizing gel and Dove's volumizing mousse and they don't compare to the look, feel, or longevity of this stuff.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/9/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by jessamay

I have only used this once so I will update after a few more uses but it is only kind of OK. For my fine, thin, color treated hair, it leaves it dull. It does volumize though but it just left my hair without any shine or smoothness (and I used a silicone serum after on my dry hair). I will try this with a silicone serum under on wet hair it and see if that makes it better. If your hair is in good shape and shiny all ready and you are looking only for volume, I think this is would be a very good product alone. But for me, I am looking for one product that gives me volume and shine. I have to say, the price is great though so no harm in trying it and if you love it, I envy you!
EDIT 1.14.14 - I am taking off another lippie as this just is too stiff/crunchy for me. I have tried multiple ways now to make it less crunchy but it still makes it unpleasant to run my fingers through the back of my hair (and they kinda drag through it). It really does add volume though so once again, if you are not concerned with a stiff feeling, this would work well.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/3/2013 5:46:00 PM More reviews by RebeccaD

I used to keep this mousse in regular rotation, as it was a fine product at a good price. It seems Tresemme reformulated this product because it no longer volumizes my hair- it now leaves it a limp, crunchy mess. The problem is the foam. It used to be thick enough to help create body in my hair. I recently bought a new can and noticed that the foam is now thin and watery- I touch it, and it "collapses" in my hand. At first, I thought I had just gotten a bad can. I exchanged it for another, but I had the same problem. For a good quality volumizing mousse in the same price range, I recommend John Frieda's Luxurious Volume mousse instead.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/14/2013 12:58:00 PM More reviews by nicolebeauty

Very rarely does a product completely DESTROY healthy hair in one use. This was a disaster product for me.

In one use, overnight, it took my glossy, healthy, shiny hair and completely fried it. It looked dry, crunchy and completely unmanageable. It took a week and a half of deep conditioning to get it back to normal.

I used exactly as directed-- I washed and conditioned as normal and put it in damp hair, combed it through. The next morning I curled my hair.

I'm a reporter and the morning after I used this I actually got 2 viewer emails asking what happened to my hair. Clearly, I wasn't the only one who noticed.

Awful, awful, awful.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/5/2013 8:23:00 PM More reviews by JudyTxoxo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product mostly as a heat protectant. I loved the way the mousse pumped out onto my hands, very smooth. Ive treid it for two days already, and will continue to use it. But as of now, this is not a product I would buy again. After using it, the ends of my hair were left extremely dry and damaged. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2012 11:26:00 PM More reviews by jatkins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I would prefer to never be without this mousse again. It says it protects against heat. I hope that is true as it is one of the reasons that I love it. It gives volume too- not a ton, but it helps. I would recommend this over any other mousse I have tried.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2012 10:19:00 AM More reviews by heathermrm

Big poufy hair (I have an inverted, layered bob, fine, color treated hair), cheap price, easy to find, so what's not to like? Only the fact that my hair feels sticky w/ it in (after blow-drying), but I can partially counteract this w/ Frederic Fekkai's Brilliant Glossing Cream.

So why did I say "no" to re-purchase? Because I get the exact same results w/out the sticky feeling from John Frieda Luxurious Volumizing Mousse. However, for me, the JF is getting harder and harder to find so, I will probably re-purchase, but only if my JF is no longer an option.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2012 7:16:00 PM More reviews by GorgeousWednesday

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is great. It doesn't leave your hair sticky, has great hold and natural look. Really like to use this when I am doing a look that I know needs to last all day long. Sometimes my hair will hold even through the night. Doesn't leave my hair greasy like a lot of other mousse! Great.