November 26, 2014 | 1743 users online

Liquid - FACE Atelier - Ultra Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 11/2/2014 2:05:00 AM More reviews by AshNew

Such a disappointment! I was so looking forward to using this foundation, it ticked all the boxes- non-comedogenic, fragrance free, no alcohol etc. But it broke me out soooo badly! Every time I wore it new pimples would inevitably crop up (I generally have very clear skin due to using the pill). Not only this, but it was very cakey and made my skin feel suffocated- all I could think about is how much I looked forward to washing it off, not a good sign for foundation.

It did have good coverage, and I could imagine avid MAC fans would like it. I would advise against using it if you have sensitive, break out prone skin- it could potentially be a very expensive mistake (I forked out over 70 bucks!). Sometimes I wonder whether folks with pre-existing acne give good reviews to high coverage foundations primarily because they do a good job of hiding blemishes, not realising the product could be inflaming their acne. To me, a good foundation is sheer and breathable with a natural finish, with the label of non-comedogenic, no alcohol and preferably fragrance free/ very low fragrance. Apparently a combination almost impossible to find! (RIP Revlon's New Complexion foundation....how I underrated you!).

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2014 1:08:00 PM More reviews by Siennalala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I am a long time lurker here but for this foundation, I am willing to write a review.
The FACE atelier Ultra is the best foundation I ever tried.
The texture of the product is amazing, applies smoothly. Medium coverage, just what I like. Doesn't sink into pores, doesn't smear, blotch, doesn't melt away during the day, and most of all: AMAZING COLOR. This is the first foundation that is not too dark for me (I wear the Porcelain shade). Bought their white foundation also: great for highlighting cheekbones or undereye area.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2014 10:44:00 PM More reviews by rp1017

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I purchased this in zero minus (white) and it is probably one of the best makeup purchases ..... FINALLY I have foundation that is a match and does not oxidize .... this is a godsend for the super pale like myself ..... I use a beautyblender buff this incredible white foundation and then use one of my favorite concealers that in the past were off in terms of shade for me and buff that in and the end result is perfect coverage that is my perfect shade ..... zero minus is a MUST for anyone that can never find the right foundation shade .... it goes on perfectly, blends well and is long lasting ...... no more wasting money on foundation or concealer that is always off in color for me because zero minus saves the day ....a must buy!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2014 2:58:00 PM More reviews by LWLook

This is as close as I've ever come to having a HG foundation.

It's pretty thick/siliconey and difficult to spread with fingers, but it sheers out beautifully with a damp makeup sponge while still giving a great amount of coverage. I'd say it gives me about 7+ hours of looking awesome before I get problematic oil breakthrough. Nothing a little blotting and re-blending can't fix though.

There's no SPF, so no white cast in flash photography but be mindful of adding a sunscreen if you're outside.

And I love that they make a white version to mix with their colors. I am just about always lighter than a makeup brands lightest foundation, and they tend to look rather orange on me. (For comparison, the closest matches for me are Graftobian's Bombshell and L'Oreal Truematch W1) The Porcelain shade of FACE Atelier is still too dark, but if I mix a pump of Zero Minus (white) for every two pumps of the Porcelain shade, I have my perfect color. It helps that I can adjust a little in the summer if I gain a little color. You can pretty much match yourself perfectly, light or dark, with combinations of their shades.

It's pretty expensive, but if you keep an eye on Hautelook, the seem to be on there a few times a year for about $15 - $20 less than retail for a large bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2014 8:23:00 PM More reviews by supergal197

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this foundation. I bought a couple samples, and when i first put this on my face i was impressed. It looks natural, but still has good coverage. I used real techinques expert face brush dampened to apply this. To me it has a natural finish, not a dewy one. I don't like dewy foundations, they look oily on me, and they emphasize my minor (pitted) acne scars. A good thing about this foundation is that it doesnt sink in and emphasize my scars. Also i've been using benzoyl peroxide to clear my breakouts, and this doesnt cling to the dry patches either! Literally the only con about this foundation is that because my skin is combination, i will get really shiny in the t zone. The powders i own don't do much to control the shine. I'm considering ordering ultra matte and seeing how that works, because i've already gone ahead and ordered the full size of this foundation. I would absolutely recommend this, especially if you have normal - dry skin. If you're combo oily, this would be good for shorter periods, if you're taking pictures, or longer if you can find a good setting powder and/or setting spray.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2014 3:06:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is a beautiful foundation with coverage I've never before experienced. It creates a flawless, gorgeous matte finish; without being flat "matte" like old-school, clay-infused foundations. Since I usually wear sheer foundation, I wasn't sure I would like this, but I decided it was worth a try because of my hope to find a foundation that actually lasts more than a few hours. Believe me, this foundation is that and more.

This foundation almost fools me into thinking I have perfect skin all the time. Seeing my real skin after washing my face at night is a let-down! The stunning thing is that even though the coverage is fantastic, this looks "skin-like" and it feels shockingly light. A major selling point for me is that I don't need to powder my face after application. Sure, occasionally I need to touch up my nose (I blow my nose often because of allergies), but this foundation "sets" all by itself and asserts its presence. I am wearing shade #6 "Honey" (my skin is medium/olive, MAC NC35). I believe I look younger when I wear this, though I'm loathe to admit I want my foundation to make me look younger.

Like another reviewer mentioned, this foundation takes some getting used to. I've read reviews of this foundation that compare it to Armani Luminous Silk, and to La Mer, neither of which I've ever tried ("luminous" on me usually means "greasy", and my MOM wears La Mer so it must be "old" for me, lol). I guess these comparisons made me imagine that Face Atelier would feel silky, luxurious, and smooth. Surprisingly, it does not. In fact, without a damp sponge and just my fingers, I find it somewhat difficult to blend, and it can feel like it's going to be cakey. If you can stand it, though, do give it a few tries with different application methods (brush, sponge, etc.). It may be as worth it for you as it was for me. I apply it with a damp Beautyblender, but I still have to be careful not to use too much. The concentration is incredible. A drop the size of a dragée covers my whole face.

At first I thought this was too "full coverage" for me, but that's not the case at all. Yes, it's full coverage, but it wears like a sheer foundation. Also, at first #6 Honey seemed too light for me. A swatch of it on my chin practically glowed, and shade #6 is quite a bit lighter than my other foundations (see attached photo with swatches of MUFE, MAC, etc.). However, somehow, once it "sets" it works. I plan to purchase Tan soon, to trying mixing for the perfect shade. This foundation doesn't oxidize at all, plus, it works nicely with sunscreen underneath it; a priority for me. I am so glad I read the reviews and decided to play around with application and lighting. After "living" in this for a few days it's clear to me why this is the choice of makeup artists for Lady Gaga, Fergie, Madonna, Taylor Swift and the list goes on. It's hard to imagine ever finding a foundation better than this one. I am extremely impressed with the quality, longevity,texture, concentration, and elegance of this product, and I intend to explore many other products from FaceAtelier.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2014 10:57:00 AM More reviews by Videotapeses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I bought samples from Camera Ready Cosmetics (who have $2 shipping vs the $10 shipping on Face Atelier's website. I got Porcelian and Zero Minus. The porcelian shade runs dark for my Nars Siberia skin tone, so I'm going to review the Zero Minus.
I'm super pale. I've used Nars Siberia in the past but HATED the formula, the color was a perfect match, very yellow and pale. There are not many dupes at all for Nar's Siberia. I suspect I'm even paler now after a year of weekly glycolic acid peels and daily sunscreen use.
The Zero minus formula is probably one of the best formulas for someone who owns a bunch of foundations that are too dark. It mixes well with most foundations. I'm currently using it with Armani Luminous Silk and it doesn't change the formula. If you're in the market for a white foundation to mix you pretty much have three options: Illamasqua, Face and Body by MAC and Face Atelier. The Illamasqua textures aren't good to mix with most foundations, the skin base sticks to dry skin and the rich liquid is extremely rich. Face and Body mixes with face and body.... The white shade is very runny and not pigmented enough to really tone down a foundation.
So on to Zero Minus:
Pros:
1. It's sillicone based. It has a smooth texture and you don't need to use a primer.
2. It's REALLY long wearing.
3. It works for dry skin. It doesn't settle in my pores and give my skin a rough texture like Nars Sheer Glow, and many other foundations.
4. Again, you can use it with many foundations and BB creams. Instead of shelling out $48 for a 1 ounce bottle or $33 for a .68 pro bottle AND having to purchase a colored foundation and double that price, you don't have to.
5. The bottle pumps very little product or a full pump, it doesn't waste product.
6. You have two options, A glass bottle or a plastic bottle, both have pumps. The price is fair for the smaller bottle with the amount of product you get.

Cons:
1. You have to work with it. It's not a one and done mix it with your foundation and you're good to go. I usually apply foundation with my fingers but this stuff dries the foudation down and you have to work really fast. I add a little moisturizer in to give myself more time. I also apply it with a flat top kabuki from everyday minerals.
2. It doesn't change the visable texture/ way a foundation sits on you skin but it does change the coverage. My very little coverage foundations are now medium to full. If you don't like that you can add moisturizer to thin the coverage.
3. You have to use more than a drop or two to lighten your foundation. I use a quarter to a full half pump.
4. It looks better the longer you wear it. The first hour is "meh" but it really looks better and dewier after time.
5. It seems to oxidixe a little. Or maybe that's my foundation. What I've found is I need to mix my foundation and zero minus lighter than my skin for it to be the right shade an hour later.

But yeah, I really think this is worth the price, and if you're not sure but intrigued order some samples from camera ready cosmetics. I spent $10 getting two decently sized samples and including the $2 shipping.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2013 12:20:00 AM More reviews by Leeleegbb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used this foundation on several skin types, color and age and it has not disappointed. I use a powder brush/kabuki to apply and blend it in. I find it has a full coverage and not much product is needed. A keeper for my kit.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2013 5:07:00 PM More reviews by sweetfart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is the most overrated product that is under-advertised IMO, if that makes sense. What I mean is, Face Atelier is really only heard of amongst MU junkies and not sold in chain stores across the US. But I think it's overhyped by MU junkies who know about it.

Yeah, I get that this is loaded with silicones and that's great but so are many other foundations. The shade availability is meager and personally think it's a ripoff for Atelier to suggest buying the color correctors to add. Why don't you just make a wider range of common skin shades instead of making us buy another product and mix it ourselves?

Immediate finish was shockingly oily (you say dewy, I say oily, tomayto tomawto). How dry does my skin have to be to work with this stuff and make it look normal? It didn't accentuate pores and indents but it didn't blur them either. I was expecting them to be blurred with all the hype I heard.

Coverage is full.

Thankfully they offer samples. But I paid $10 in shipping to get those samples which I had so much hope for. There is nothing special about this foundation that you can't already find at Sephora.

Similar and better foundations: Lancome Teint Ultra, Hourglass Veil Fluid, Covergirl 3 in 1, Laura Mercier Moisture Supreme, Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk

16 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 2:30:00 PM More reviews by barcodegirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I only use zero minus to mix with other foundations, so I can't say how this performs on its own. But zero minus is an HG for me. Most foundations I try are too dark, even in the lightest shade. I had so many foundations that were just sitting around because I really had no use for them. Now, I just mix some of this in, and the foundation matches my skin tone perfectly. This doesn't seem to change the formulations of the actual foundation either. The one thing about this, though, is that that it doesn't do much if the foundation is too orange or too pink, since it's just pure white. But at least I can feel more comfortable trying new foundations, since I can just mix a little of this in if they are too dark.