December 18, 2014 | 1546 users online

Sunscreen - Badger - SPF 30

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2014 12:37:00 PM More reviews by laughs33

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have done a lot of research and testing to find an all natural (organic) and cruelty-free sunscreen and so far, nothing else comes close to covering the bases like Badger. I've read through many of the reviews here on MUA and I guess it comes down to personal philosophies and preferences in terms of whether you will like this (or any other) product.

I really like Badger sunscreens for the following main reasons:

Badger sunscreens are COMPLETELY natural - e.g., there are no parabens, no nano-particles, no petrochemicals, etc. and no controversial ingredients such as titanium dioxide, and phenoxyethanol which are commonly used in other "natural" sunscreens (e.g., Alba Botanicals, Kiss My Face, Aubrey Organics)

HIGHLY EFFECTIVE. I live in Queensland, Australia where the sun is EXTREMELY potent and it is sunny practically every day. I have fair skin and am prone to sunspotting (Asian skin) so I have always been vigilant with daily sunscreen use for my face. I also use this sunscreen for my body when at the beach in the summers and have never burned when sitting exposed in the sun for a couple of hours, as long as I remember to reapply immediately after swimming or sweating too much, lol.

All Badger products are 100% cruelty-free, their sunscreens are biodegradable, and packaging is made from recycled materials - so yay for being kind to our environment!

Badger has a great website with comprehensive information about their sunscreens (details about all ingredients) and a great FAQ page that explains how to best apply and use their sunscreens. After reading these tips, I do the following and it totally works for me:

The high content of zinc oxide makes Badger sunscreens really effective but it also makes it thick and very white on application. The thickness can also deceive you into thinking you have more on than what you actually need to be fully protected from the sun. So I warm a pea-sized amount of lotion between my hands and then press my hands on my face to pat on the sunscreen and then easily rub in. I let this dry for a few minutes and then apply a second coat in the same manner. I find this layering helps to combat the "white mask" that can occur if you try to apply too much all at once. After the sunscreen has fully absorbed in my skin, I can apply makeup if desired - in the summer months when we have extreme humidity, I use a mineral finishing powder on my face to set the sunscreen and prevent it from "melting" on my face. Sunscreens need to be reapplied after several hours during the day as the protective ingredients deteriorate with exposure, so I repeat the process again in the afternoons if I'm out in the sun frequently.

Many of the ingredients are highly moisturising which is great for drier weather/skin but this can lead to a greasy feeling in extremely humid weather (hence my use of finishing powder) and it may be problematic for people with oily skin. Badger are currently reformulating all of their sunscreens for re-release in 2015 and one of their sunscreens will be an aloe-based lotion so this might better suit oily skin?

It takes a bit longer to apply this sunscreen than other brands, but IMO, the safety of these ingredients for me and the environment outweigh this slight set-back. Also, although it is a bit pricey for a sunscreen, compared to other comparable sunscreen products (cruelty-free, organic, supporting of the environment), it is actually cheap - some of the comparable products are upwards of $25USD, whereas Badger is about $15USD. Also, with daily face use and full-body use for about a month during the summer, it lasts me several months.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/24/2014 4:50:00 PM More reviews by NickyMH

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I found this product after searching the internet for organic, chemical-free and cruelty free sunscreen. Not an easy task, but I came up with this and duly paid rather over the odds (18.99) for it.

For both of the above reasons, I really wanted to love it. Unfortunately, though, from the moment I squeezed the thick, white cream out of the tube, I could tell that this might be a difficult relationship.

After applying it to my face and neck, I looked like a clown in whiteface. I spent a further ten minutes rubbing it in, which still didn't entirely remove the whiteness, but enabled me to go out without attracting the attentions of either people wanting a good laugh, or travelling circuses on a recruitment drive.

Alas, that was not the end of my woes. I sit here now, after a day's sailing, with a painfully burned face, neck and ears, in fact, everywhere I applied the Badger sunscreen. Even my partner, who is a reasonably dark-skinned Mexican, ended up with burned arms where the Badger sunscreen had been applied. My legs and arms, where I had whacked on good old Boots' ' Soltan', remained blissfully non-lobster-esque.

So, sorry, Badger. You undoubtedly had wonderful intentions - and it truly pains me to find fault with a truly cruelty- free brand- but this does seem to be an ineffective product, and if you value your skin (and in my case, your street cred, as. I am now sporting the shiny, touristy sunburn - face in sunny Valencia ) then stick to a tried and trusted brand.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2014 9:31:00 AM More reviews by miss_mimi612

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Do not buy this product! Not only was it thick and difficult to rub in, as others have said, it was completely ineffective! I think calling this a sunscreen is dangerous and dishonest since it didn't protect from the sun at all.

I was looking for a natural broad spectrum, unscented sunscreen and I was excited to try this, but I could not have been more disappointed. The only claim that held true for this sunscreen was that it's unscented. It is impossibly thick and never really rubbed in. I figured even though I looked like a ghost, at least I would be well protected. This was not the case at all! Even after reapplying after 1 1/2 hours (after not having gone swimming or sweating), by the end of the afternoon I was horribly sunburned over my entire body. My husband, who has fairer skin, experienced the same results and got an even worse sunburn. Worse still, it was impossible to even see that I was getting sunburn since the white cast on my skin completely hid it. To top it all off, in addition to being painfully sunburned, my skin felt greasy and covered in goop thanks to the sunscreen.

This product is not only terrible, it's DANGEROUS! Absolutely do not use it if you plan on spending any time whatsoever in the sun, direct or indirect. I wish I had just used the "unnatural" sunscreen that I knew worked rather than being covered in sunburn due to an ineffective product. The only thing this sunscreen is good for is if you want to look like an old-fashioned surfer or lifeguard with that thick white sunscreen on the nose (though, do it only for show because this won't actually protect it!).

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2014 10:28:00 PM More reviews by ECLion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was pretty conflicted about purchasing this given the sheer number of negative reviews. After realizing that most of them came down to being upset about the extra time it took to work the product in, and seeing a tube 30% off, I snagged some. I'm concerned about the chemicals in your average sunscreen and have pale, extremely sensitive skin. Even "sensitive" sunscreens have provoked negative reactions. I used this on my face, neck, and chest while working out outdoors today for 2+ hours. It was hot and sunny, and I was dripping sweat. I returned home with no sunburn -not even a tan. And I'm the type that burns in the shade.

I did not find it very difficult to work in. With that said, the application methodology here is different. You can't squeeze a huge glob into your hand and smear it everywhere. I applied it in small dots that I rubbed in. A little goes a long way. I did not find the product excessively greasy at all. The Lavender smell is light and dissipates quickly (bonus: lavender is anit-inflammatory, and mildly insect repellant).

Overall, 5 stars. I will gladly take an extra few minutes to apply this far-superior product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2014 3:10:00 AM More reviews by kdelossantos

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this to get sun protection for my fair skin and keep my rosacea from acting up when outside. I really like this sunscreen. It's all natural ingredients are good for my skin. Hasn't caused any breakouts or rosacea flare up. It also helps to sooth my skin when I do have rosacea flare ups. I haven't had any problems with it not going on easily or leaving a white cast. I just use a small amount and warm it up with my clean fingers. It applys smoothly and keeps me from getting burnt. I was using Coopertone sensitive skin but it was causing break outs. Badger Balm has made a fantastic sunscreen for super sensitive skinned people like me. I highly recommend.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2013 10:13:00 AM More reviews by Jaded81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a review for the Badger Broad Spectrum SPF30 Aloe Sunscreen in the green tube.

Pros: Contains a high percentage of Zinc Oxide (provides full protection from UVA & UVB rays). Uses all natural and mostly organic ingredients.

Cons: Dry texture, making it a little difficult to apply. Patchy, leaves a noticeable white cast and slight film. A stronger cleanser or even make up remover is required for removal. Friction can cause sunscreen to rub off (which is ironic as it is pretty difficult to cleanse off).

Actives: Uncoated, Non-Nano Zinc Oxide 12%

Others: *Aloe Barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, *Helianthus Annuus (Organic Sunflower) Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Oleosomes, *Sucrose Cocoate (from Organic Coconut), Water, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Citric Acid (from Non-GMO Corn), Leuconostoc Ferment Filtrate (from Radish), *Glycerin (from Sustainable Organic Palm), *Aloe Barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Extract, Tocopherol (Sunflower Vitamin E), Gluconolactone (from Non-GMO Corn), Xanthan Gum, *Lecithin (from Organic Soybean), Cellulose Gum. * = Certified Organic

Update:
I have been using this daily on my body. I find that mixing a couple of drops of oil (I use Jojoba) to the sunscreen helps with the spreadability, makes application more even and sunscreen easier to remove.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2013 2:40:00 AM More reviews by bellasera973

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This sunscreen was horrible. It was incredibly thick, and white, and hard to rub in. But MORE IMPORTANTLY: it did NOT work. My fiance used it today while outside at his job, and applied it twice, and came home completely beat red. He's burnt as if he never wore any sunblock at all. So disappointing, considering the reason we bought this brand was because it was considered safe and had low toxicity. But if it doesn't protect your skin from the sun, it's freaking useless.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/24/2013 10:24:00 PM More reviews by iamommy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm torn when it comes to this sunscreen. I bought it to use on my 2 year old because it lacks a lot of the usual chemicals so that's definitely awesome. I quickly realized this was not going to work for myson because it's so thick and greasy and trying to apply anything to his skin is like a race. This just takes too long to really rub in well to where I feel it would be effective.

I have very dry skin so I decided to try this on myself and switched him to trukid natural sunscreen. Anyway, this is definitely hydrating and doesn't have that weird sunscreen smell that others do, but I felt like my face was melting after awhile. If I go very light and sort of pat on a thin layer and work it in, I can use it on my face and without breakouts.

It's one I would repurchase for winter when my skin is really dry and I want some sun protection for face and neck, but there are better brands of natural sunscreen for summer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2013 4:26:00 PM More reviews by AJ6488

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This review is for the new Badger's daily sunscreen spf 30 in a green tube (claims to be non comedogenic and can be worn under makeup).

I have to agree with others, I hated this product at first I got it. I wanted this product for so long but it was hard to find a retailer in Canada. I attempted to purchase it online but it always seems to be out of stock. And finally, I found this with a few other Badger sunscreens retailed in London Drugs. I was sooo... excited like I had found the gold mine. However, working with it had been extremely hard for me, it was impossible to apply it evenly, and it always ended up small white pieces so I had to wash it off my face and tried to apply again. The new formula feels super dry also, even it claims can be worn under makeup, it makes my foundation appear cakey on my face. In one point I was almost going to return it, but this is such a wonderful natural gem to me that I wouldn't give it up unless I tried my best. Then I saw the review on MUA and learned that I need to warm it up in my palms then gentlely put my hands over my face and letting the heat melts the product into my skin. Wow, it really works, now it even can be applied on top of makeup nicely so I won't have problem to reapply it when I'm outside. Also I always wait till my moisturiser absorbs completely at first then apply the sunscreen, and make sure just use a small amount.

I love my badger sunscreen now, sure you can't compare it with all other sunscreens in the market for easy application, fast absorbing, etc, but which sunscreen can compare with badger when it comes to caring for our health, our animal and our environment? I'm sure they are still working hard on innovating the formula to do a better job. But so far, this is what natural can provide to us. I don't care about all the sunscreen benefits made from all kinds of chemicals (seriously, read the ingredient label on the sunscreens out there HE or drugstore, I doubt it that you still want to put it on your skin), as long as Badger is still making sunscreen, I will keep supporting and repurchasing.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2013 2:57:00 AM More reviews by glitteralex

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Let me start out by saying I hated this product for a good 6 months....all the usual complaints; must knead the tube to get product out, product gooey and thick, skin white, pet hair sticks to face, ruins dark clothes, etc. However, I stuck it out because I had bought a case of the Baby formula with chamomile and it is very natural and PC. So....fast forward 6 months to noticeably smoother skin. Here is the protocol:

1) Wash face and keep hair off face and clothes away from face

2) Apply antioxidant serum of choice. Let it absorb.

3) Put a pea-sized amount of Badger in hands and warm product up until all the bumps are melted.

4) Pat and gently smooth all over face, neck & eye area.

5) Let dry for at least 10 minutes before letting clothing touch face or applying foundation over it, which I do. It works very well as a primer with my La Mer foundation.

Another few notes: This works excellent on dry skin, in dry climates, and in the cold weather. If you are acne-prone or live in melting hot weather, likely this will be too gooey for you.

Also, I am a fan of laser treatments and peels. This sunblock is brilliant for post-peel use, as the chamomile soothes and the natural ingredients do not irritate the skin. In this case, melt the product really well in your hand and pat on- no rubbing until skin is healed.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No