April 21, 2014 | 1253 users online

Cleansers - Kate Somerville - Gentle Daily Wash

rated 1 of 5 on 2/14/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by snowblossom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh wow - this certainly isn't for sensitive skin - no way. The day before Valentines day, I used this for the first time and boy was that a mistake!

I feel like I have been badly burnt by the sun, the skin around my mouth is now dry and cracking, my neck is covered in what looks like a bad shaving rash together with pustules. It still stings, it is still red and swollen over a day and a half later! Even anti histamine hasn't dented this reaction. I have had reactions before to skin products but never like this. No fun for valentines date night at all because I can't put anything on my skin because of the discomfort.

I love Kate's goat cream but this is just a big no no for sensitive skin - so no, I don't recommend this for those with reactive skin at all!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2013 10:01:00 PM More reviews by daisyday

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm a bit shocked that this carries the 'gentle' label. My skin is combination, but goes through occasional bouts of excessive oil production. This cleanser stripped my skin to the point that it was uncomfortably dry and red (think afternoon at beach without sunblock). And, if you're like me with the random oil issues, you know that stripping the skin that severely will just exacerbate the oil problem. So, my uncomfortably dry skin and I will not continue to use. As a side note, the smell (lavender-ish) was a little off putting. I don't really like my face care items to be quite so strongly fragranced.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/10/2012 10:17:00 PM More reviews by dh494

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Considering how difficult it is to find a good basic cleanser these days, I'm hesitant to criticize this one too much. This is a nice basic gel which removes makeup and sunblock really well but is drying in the winter. Not to the point of peeling skin but it definitely causes tightness. It has a nice lavender scent which relaxes me after work. The tube is inconvenient in the bathroom, but ironically travels better than a pump.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/12/2012 12:48:00 PM More reviews by miaandren

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I want to love this products but I can´t!
My skin has been breaking out in red spots that looks like acne after only 1 day off using this product.
I´ve never had this problem with my dermalogica products but I´ve heard so much nice things about Kate´s products I wanted to try something new.
I really hope my skin will get back to normal asap because I feel embarresed of how I look now!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2012 5:43:00 PM More reviews by jwil16

Nice cleanser. Ive used it for a little while. I love how the gel is so concentrated and the fact that it is sulfate free yest lathers incredibly well is awesome! It gets skin reallllly clean. It's basically a no frills gel cleanser for all skin types but especially those who are prone to dryness as this doesn't have sulfates. I never experienced any of the reactions people talk about and I'm pretty sensitive.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/23/2012 11:41:00 PM More reviews by shar037

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Yikes! Yesterday I got one the free facials that they offer at the KS counter. I bought the entire set.
Went home, rinsed with this cleanser. The next morning, my entire face was red and was covered with bumps. They are very small but my entire face is covered...Sexy!!
Not totally sure that this product is the culprit but it was something from her line up.
I looked to the ingredients and see that she uses a form Sodium Sulfate as the second ingredient. They have used the technical chemical chain name (Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate) so the consumer would not recognize it as a form of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. There are actually 150 names for Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.
In concentations of 2% to 5% it can cause allergic or sensitive reactions to lots of people (Sources: European Journal of Dermatology, September-October 2001, pages 416–419; American Journal of Contact Dermatitis, March 2001, pages 28–32)
This stuff is used in many household products such as. Turtle Car Wax, Vanish Toilet Bowl cleaner, and Clorox. It's used because it's an inexpensive surfectant.(Sources: Household Products Database)
Surprising from a line that is so highly revered by the "Hollywood Stars."
This all a reminder to me that while searching for the fountain of youth...don't forget to read the labels.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2012 12:38:00 PM More reviews by babeegap

I would not recommend any of Kate Somerville's products. I've been a Proactiv user for about 10 years. I have sensitive, combination skin. Proactiv has been pretty good to me all these years, but I noticed I was getting little breakouts under my chin. That's when I decided to give Kate Somerville a try.

I bought the kit at first and noticed improvements in the first week. I then ordered more product. Within a few days, my face totally broke out on my nose, chin, forehead and cheeks. That has NEVER happened to me before when I used Proactiv. When I was on Proactiv, I would get the occasional break out on the chin, but not all over my face!

I do not recommend any of her products for sensitive skin. It's been 2-3 weeks, and I'm back on Proactiv. My nose, cheeks and forehead are getting better. My chin on the other hand, is still struggling. I think it's trying to get rid of all that Kate Somerville crap that's already in my system.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/4/2012 11:02:00 PM More reviews by newyorkshopper

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is just an okay cleanser. It's pretty basic and not really something you want to use if you have dry skin, despite the gentle name. If it wasn't $32 it might be worth rebuying but for $20 you can get something better at Clarins or given how basic is it you might as well buy something at the drugstore for less than $10. I also hate the packaging, it has one of the tops the twists open and the product ends up leaking out making a mess.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/26/2011 11:36:00 PM More reviews by aspenskimommy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I feel it does nothing. No clearing of pores, no calming of skin. I don't feel it is a good cleanser. I feel cetaphil is better and much cheaper.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/24/2011 7:46:00 AM More reviews by Dashaway

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Eh. Just okay. I like the scent, but it didn't lather as much as I would like - and I use it with my clarisonic. I think you can find much better cleansers out there for a cheaper price.