July 31, 2014 | 2069 users online

Hair - Philosophy - Shear Splendor Restorative Hair Marinade

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2011 1:13:00 PM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this on clearance at Marshalls so it was mere change. I used it several times and honestly I am not impressed. I get better results with olive oil or coconut oil. For me it wasn't moisturizing enough but I have porous hair *shrugs*.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2010 6:34:00 PM More reviews by laurelsage

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product does exactly what it claims to do. I put it on, then throw on a shower cap and leave it on for most of the day. The longer I leave it on the softer my hair is after shampooing. The scent is OK, not one of my favorites, but the oil does a great job conditioning and softening my hair. This is being discontinued by Philosophy, but I caught the 8 oz. bottle on their website last week and bought two. It is rather pricey at $30 for 8 oz., but the results are worth it. I wish it came in a pump bottle, the pour bottle is messy!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/21/2009 11:15:00 AM More reviews by WhoKnew101

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Goes on just like Carrot Oil. If you go to the hair aisle in walmart, or wherever, and look where they have some of the products for African American hair like the Olive Oil brands, you'll find Hollywood Beauty Carrot Oil.(I'm not sure whether Carrot Oil targets any ethnicity, but it is very light and washes out of my very fine blonde hair). Looks the same, has even better ingredients than the Shear Splendor (compare the ingredient lists and see), and you get a big bottle of it for like $5-6 (probably twice as much for 1/4th the price). That product is far superior to this stuff, and if you want you can pour the cheapo stuff into the Philosophy bottle and no one would ever know. (same color, same viscosity, better results with the Carrot Oil).
Monoi or even regular old kitchen olive oil works better, in my opinion, than either of the above, but olive oil smells like dipping oil or a salad on my head, whereas these other oils smell much prettier :)

As others have mentioned, if you do hair oiling where you put in a bunch and let it sit til you shampoo, you CANNOT plan on leaving the house because your hair will look wet from oil and give new definition to the term "greaseball" lol. If you just use a tiny dot as a smooth product post shower, that's a different story, tho

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2008 1:43:00 PM More reviews by julieann38

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have fine, highlighted hair and found it looking quite dull / dry. I have used this twice now - once a week - leaving it on overnight and washing it out in the morning with Shear Splendor shampoo and conditioner. I have liked the results - hair seems to be fuller and highlights blonder. I'll keep using this as well as the other Philosophy hair products.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/12/2008 5:19:00 PM More reviews by cecilian

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was seduced by the pitch on QVC but, like many reviewers, found that this product really dosen't do much at all. I use about 1/5 of the bottle, leave it in for 5-6 hrs and really don't get much of a result -- if any. I had no problem washing it out though. For ref, my hair is med blonde and slightly damaged. Will continue the search -- am trying aphogee soon and will keep you all posted!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2008 4:41:00 PM More reviews by ADA77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this one in 2 fl oz as a gift , was excited because i love hair treatments and i want to try more philosophy products..
I'm going to say this is an average oil treatment .. The 2 fl bottle lasted me only three times (i have lots of hair ) .And i'm still newly married so don't want to carry treatments to bed yet :) So i let it stay 5-6 hours each time , the first one was great with very soft , manageable ,silky results .It doesn't have an overwhelming smell , but a really light one so that's probably a plus too. The other two times tho , weren't anything special ..Ha d hard time detangling afterwards, and my hair didn't even feel conditioned afterall..

One thing i did wrong maybe.., use too much of it at once? I'm used to soaking the hair with oil treatments , could have worked better with less amounts ?
I'm glad i tried this , but wouldn't purchase ..
For reference, i have very chemically treated , blonde long hair .

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2008 8:02:00 AM More reviews by stripewhite

I really love this stuff. Basically I use it as a serum for my hair -- even though its not really what its meant to do. But in the summer my hair just gets huge! And I love the way this stuff smells.

So I take dime size of this slick over my dry hair and flat iron and my hair looks really shiny and smooth. I love it! You can find an okay price on Amazon, and it really last a long time.

I don't like the packaging the bottle gets sticky, but that is my only complaint.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/17/2008 12:02:00 PM More reviews by Beautyhurts

Nothing to write home about. I had high hopes for this and it really didn't do much.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/15/2008 10:46:00 AM More reviews by Toya28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I found out about this product on a beauty blog. When I went to Macy's to buy it I had to put my name on a waiting list. WOW.. this stuff must really be great right? Meh. It's just oil. I put it on my relaxed, color treated, super dry AA hair overnight. No miraculous results like the bottle claimed. Save your money and just use olive oil. Or if you're just dying to spend cash you can buy one of the Carol's Daughter's oils (such as the Hair Elixir) at least you'll get a bigger bottle for your money. :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2008 6:54:00 PM More reviews by honey71

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

OMG I clicked on this product to write EXACTLY what kladd wrote, lol. It smells great, and it *kinda* makes my hair a lil bit softer. All in all, not worth buying.

I have 3Cish hair that I usually heat straighten. continued >>