October 23, 2014 | 1783 users online

Hair Color - Ion - Color Brilliance

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2014 5:55:00 PM More reviews by scientistcarlos

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i'd consider this a pretty decent hair dye.
here's some specifics:
pros:
-it has lasted longer in my hair than any semi permanent hair dye ever has, 3 weeks and counting
-it hasn't bled at all. like, on anything.
-super cheap ($7)
-not the most vivid colour, but a really nice colour
cons:
-was hard to work with. almost like gel.
-went on unevenly
-not a very vivid colour
-not much dye in the package. i have a pixie cut and i used all of it
-made my hair look greasy
-probably the biggest con.... i bought the sky blue colour and well... it was green.
now you might think that the fact it turned out green would be a dealbreaker, its still a super nice colour, and i'm okay with it to be totally honest.
if you're looking for a specific colour, i'd say go with something more reliable like manic panic. but with how long this stuff has lasted in my hair, i'm pretty impressed so i'll give it a good review.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2014 8:44:00 AM More reviews by PaulaBenoit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used quite a few shades from this brand in the past. I do agree with previous reviewers that the colors run dark. My virgin roots are about a level 2 with some grey now starting to appear. I chose a neutral shade for its grey coverage, originally I tried their 6N shade with a 30 volume developer but it only took my roots to a medium brown. So I moved to their Level 8 (Light Blonde) mixing 1/2 oz 8N plus 1/4 oz each 8A and 8V with 1 oz of 30 volume developer, apply this to my roots only and process for 25-30 minutes. It turns my roots the perfect light neutral brown color I am looking for. If my color needs to be refreshed (I have highlights that are growing out and they tend to get brassy) I now use One n' Only Demi Permanent Argan Color in 7N on the midshaft & ends to minimize further damage.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2014 12:21:00 AM More reviews by AgentMakeup007

I don't know why this has such a high score on reviews because it is probably the worst hair dye I have ever used in my entire life. For reference, my hair is naturally dark brown, almost black and VERY thick, I have long hair to the small of my back. Back when turned my hair an ash blonde by accident, I was looking for a dye to deposit on my hair that would turn it a copper red, because I have always loved copper red hair since watching Titanic with my sister.
Long story short, the lady at Sally's recommended a shade that was an orange red and looked beautiful on the hair display. I purchased 5 tubes to cover all my hair and the Ion developer too, a freaking EXPENSIVE purchase because this hair dye isn't cheap at all! I followed instructions and the supposedly “orange red" hair dye had turned my ash blonde hair into CHOCOLATE BROWN hair. Not only that, but the Ion developer and the hair color had made my scalp change out of nowhere and it was a greasy mess every time. It increased the amount of times I had to shampoo and wash my head in a month.
I found through the years after this Ion mess, drugstore dyes (Garnier- Hot Tamale and Color & Art hair dye in the shade 7.40) have done more for my hair than this Ion crap. My hair is now the red I have always wanted, and NOT thanks to Ion. I only give props to Ion for their amazing hair irons! The end.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/10/2014 12:14:00 PM More reviews by Jhernandez214

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Bought this product for my mom she had a natural level 5 her new growth was a level 2 bought an ion color natural 4 so she wanted it darker .....did an all over color, sectioned, saturated really good used 20 developer it should've deposit the color good her new growth came out good but the level 5 was not so great it still looked the same as if the color did not deposit. Ok my mom has a lot of grays the only reason her gray came out good was because I added some drops of gray magic other than that I didn't not like

rated 2 of 5 on 5/25/2014 8:01:00 PM More reviews by AwesomeAkwardness

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This has been one of the most disappointing products I have used. I purchased Jet Black in the permanent range and colored my hair less than two weeks ago. I made sure to apply everything evenly and left it on for the suggested amount of time... And it's already faded so badly and unevenly.
I don't know if it's the product itself or something I have done.
I will say I don't currently use a sulfate free shampoo, but even the crappy black box dyes held up at least a month.
Now one of the good things about this is that it did not dry out or damage my hair very much at all, in fact my hair was very soft and SOOOO very shiny

I will use up the rest of the dye and see if goes better next time, but I will probably not be buying this ever again. I will either try a different cheaper brand like Wella or just suck it up and buy something like Redken.

*EDIT*
I have recently switched to a sulfate free shampoo, and while it doesn't fade AS quick, it still fades super unevenly.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2014 1:48:00 AM More reviews by dayle81

I've been going to salons for years to keep my naturally dark brown hair a medium coppery color. They do an okay job, but at $120 plus tip it had gotten a little old. I picked up two tubes of light copper brown and the sensitive skin 20vol developer as well as the ion color sealer and shine treatment. Twenty minutes on the dark regrowth and an additional fifteen pulled through the lengths, followed by a shampoo and the ion sealer and shine treatment mixed 1:1 for about five minutes. The color is radiant, deep, shiny and gorgeous. It's even root to tip with no hot roots. I spent about five dollars on two tubes and another five on the developer. I mixed two tubes to 4oz developer in a bowl and first painted my regrowth then I pulled out through the lengths. It turned out AMAZING. I can't believe ten bucks and some online research will save me a thousand bucks this year. Be advised that their colors do tend to pull darker by about a shade. I'll update when I know what fade will look like. All in all, its a good buy.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2014 9:19:00 AM More reviews by tillyred

I bought Ion color to cover my grey roots as finding anything to do the job in the drug store was a waste of money and time. Anything with a hint of red in it turned my grey regrowth "pink" or anything with golden left me with "orange roots" and ash just didnt cover at all.I truely dont think shop bought colors work for anyone with more than a hint of grey.
It does take a lot of research though before you attempt to use Ion though as really it is a professional color and if like me you want to mix a couple of shade together you should try read up on using professional hair color and look at the color wheel to see what will work together.Ive been using the 5 n (you need the natural or neutral for grey in the base or it wont cover the grey. I use 1/1/2 n and then add 1/4 red and get a lovely color which I was never going to get from shop bought colors.It also works out so much cheaper than shop bought too which is great! What you pay big money in the salon for you can do yourself for a fraction of the price!
The only downside of all this is that while it is a great produce and will save you an absolute fortune in salons be very careful chosing a color. The product will only work when used correctly, for instance if you already have colored hair "Color wont lift already colored and will only turn your hair DARKER ! It's fine if you want to go darker but if you are trying to lift already colored hair it will only work on the regrowth and it's very difficult to match roots to already colored hair. please remember this as it is VERY IMPORTANT.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/10/2014 2:57:00 AM More reviews by Bloodrush192

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this in two different colors from the Mochas line, the 4WR and 5WR which is medium and light golden mahogany brown. The product itself is nice and thick when rationed into a bowl. The dye is a creamy consistency that doesn't drip. For me this color is very deceiving, it comes out a LOT darker than the swatch shows when using a 20 developer, an almost ebony/red color and it takes a few weeks for the color to finally show. The only upside to these two colors is that when it does lighten over time it doesn't look too drawn out, the reds in the color do tend to stay quite well, which is why I gave it 3 lippies.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2014 12:54:00 AM More reviews by Lauraasti

I finally got the courage to look into coloring my hair with professional products after using box dye for the last 10+ years. Turns out, it was nowhere near as complicated as I thought, even for someone who has never been to cosmetology school! It just takes some research and a few late-night binges on youtube tutorials :)
My hair had been dyed with Garnier Nutrisse's Light Intense Auburn for dark hair and I loved the color, but I knew my hair wasn't in the best shape. I also had a previously bleached spot that turned an obnoxious reddish orange while the rest of my hair was a beautiful shade of red, so I thought using a low volume developer would help deposit color rather than lift like the box did. My hair (and roots) are naturally a dark ash brown.
Everything I bought was from Sally Beauty Supply. I used 6IR 66.66 in Dark Intense Red Blonde in the creme version with 20 volume Ion Sensitive Scalp developer for my roots and the majority of my hair, and mixed a separate bowl (using just .5 oz) of the color with the same developer in 10 volume for the bleached part, using a 1:1 ratio for both (2 oz of color, 2 oz of developer). I also added in 1/4 tube the Red Hot Intensifier for good measure ;) I used the Colorful Neutral Protein Filler on my hair beforehand as well. After application, I let it sit in my hair under a plastic wrap shower cap for about 45 minutes.
The color is beautiful! It blended very nicely with the red already in my hair and no obnoxious hot roots! And I can IMMEDIATELY tell the difference in my hair by not using box color. Dry hair that easily fell out was common in the first week of coloring, even after using a deep repair masque with the box. Now my hair is SO much softer and more manageable and did not get oily as quickly (i wait 48 hours after rinsing to shampoo). I don't know how to describe it, it just doesn't FEEL like dyed hair after this. It feels healthy and the smell is a million times better than box dye smell. And the color is beautiful, vibrant and pretty much even (except for my ends, where there are remnants of previous black dye and the previously bleached spot was still kind of bright, but no longer orange). A tiny bit darker than I would have liked, but it's still a good, deep red, which is what I wanted.
My hair is a few inches past my shoulders and I juuuuust made it with one tube of the color-might have fared better with another 1/2 tube. That's one of the great things about these products, you can customize how much or little you use. And the price for the color + developer was actually cheaper than my usual box! Because of the great price, I grabbed a few tubes in other colors I was considering as well.
I took off 1 lippy for a few reasons: The color is SO hard to get out of the tube, it's very thick and I had to wrestle with it. It also stains much longer than box color. Usually after one wash with the box, there was no more red residue on my hands and hairline, but the pink residue from Ion is sticking around a little longer (It stains like no other, definitely invest in a stain barrier/remover!). It also was very hard to really get it through my hair. Box dye always seemed to condition my hair in combination with the protein filler and the application was effortless. This stuff was a big time pain, I'll just have to do smaller sections and find more patience!
These products are great for doing your hair professionally, but still having control over the precise desired color/timing/etc (you know your hair better than anyone) and for a fraction of the salon prices! Absolutely recommend!

EDIT 1/31/14: This stuff seems to fade a little faster than I'm used to. I know red fades quicker than any other color, but I'm still put off by how much seems to come out in the shower when I shampoo. I wash my hair twice a week in cold water with sulphate-free shampoo specifically made for red hair and in between those two washes, I put just a dab of shampoo on my usual greasy spots (bangs, where my part ends in the back, behind my ears) just to break down the excess oil, not even enough to create a lather. My water has been so ridiculously pink! Thankfully, I was already a box-dyed red underneath, so it's not fading to my natural color, but still. Luckily this stuff is cheap, so I'll try one more time with my leftover tubes, but I'm a little disappointed. So many people use this and I've only heard about fading once or twice. There's a very good chance it's just my specific hair because I've heard heaps of positive reviews, so I still recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2014 4:49:00 PM More reviews by rose313

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using the High Lift Blondes for years to do my roots. They work exceptionally well on virgin roots that are easy to lift like mine. I also like that I can use either natural, ash, or golden high lift blonde. It doesn't dry my hair out as much as bleach, in fact it doesn't dry my hair out at all.

I've also used the copper browns and because my hair is porous, it sucks the dye right up. Might come out darker than expected if your hair is porous like mine, but the fade is so nice. I can see the copper undertones ever so slightly as it fades, and it's still a nice chocolate brown.

I normally do not use permanent browns (semis only) but this is my exception!