October 2, 2014 | 1423 users online

Lipstick - Jane Iredale - Carmen

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2010 5:13:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Product full name: Jane Iredale PureMoist LipColour SPF 18, in Carmen.

Perfect YLBB everyday lipstick with physical-only sunscreen (SPF 18, zinc oxide). Both Carmen and Brett appear (on me anyway: see pics at end of review) as a reddish berry that's just sufficiently darker than natural lip colour to enhance, no more. Very roughly speaking, a cross between Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey and Lipstick Queen Medieval. Carmen is more sheer and slightly more plum, Brett more solid and red. Nicely moisturising, some taste from peppermint, otherwise nothing inoffensive to report in the ingredients. Unlike the JI lSPF lip balms LipDrink and H/E for men, there's no lemon (which may be photosensitizing).

I got this after extensive research online (especially, of course, here on MUA) to replace my beloved now-discontinued Aveda Lip Tints, as an everyday lippie with sunscreen.

Packaging: simple gold twist-up classic lipstick tube. 3.4g. Decent cruelty-free company. No bismuth oxychloride; fulll ingredients at end of review. Available from some salons and spas, and online. Price: CAD22.50, somewhere around USD18.00-20.00.

INGREDIENTS: Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 8%.
Ingredients: Castor Seed Oil, Isopropyl Jojobate, Jojoba Esters, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Candelilla Wax, Carnauba Wax, Beeswax, Grape Seed Extract, Peppermint Leaf Extract, Vanilla Tahitensis Fruit Extract, Flavor, Borage Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Bisabolol. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Carmine, Red 30 Lake, Red 7 Lake.

Here's a photo of swatches on my arm, inc. Carmen, for a comparison of Gingerrama-approved lippies for everyday redhead use; taken in natural light: continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2008 8:17:00 PM More reviews by banu

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love the color, texture and moisturizing effects of this lipstick. I am Asian Indian and the color looks dark berry on me- more like a darker shade of my lip color. Love how it looks even though normally I look better in warmer colors. My skin color for reference is golden brown & JI's golden shade of powder suits me well.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2008 9:28:00 PM More reviews by prettyvacant

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Jane Iredale's lipsticks are the best - I mainly want to comment on this color which is amazing. Looking for a natural shade that is bright enough to enhance your eye color yet not so bright that it looks unnatural on pale skin? (It's hard to find - you PPP's know what I'm talking about!) This one is fantastic - I find it to be in the cool family - a berry color. I have worn JI's Ashley lipstickr and like it but Carmen is better. Ashley is a touch on the warm side and has a bit of brown in it which I don't see in this one. Don't be intimidated by the dark color in the tube - it's totally different on the lips.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2006 10:59:00 AM More reviews by xtinaxtina

I have a review of this under the general JI lipstick reviews, but it's so great I really feel it deserves it's own thing.
I've been wearing this lipstick for almost a year now. I am a complete lipstick fiend & almost never feel satisfied, but this has complete HG status. The color is hard to describe (the swatches on the JI site are pretty useless), but this is a berry-ish shade that seems both warm & cool to me, as I think it has a bit of brown with the purplish/berry shade. Some people would probably consider it a red. Anyhow, it's a shade that works well for me (pale to medium skin, warm undertones, blue eyes, dark brown hair) & I get compliments on it all the time. The texture is wonderful: it's moisturizing without being gloppy & it stays put well without being dry.
I have already bought this 2 or 3 times & I will continue to buy it as long as they make it.