April 19, 2014 | 1037 users online

Fragrances - L'Occitane - Amber (EDT and Perfume)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2013 10:08:00 PM More reviews by Rocki

I had this years ago, and liked it, but gave it to my Mom, who liked it even more. I just bought another bottle last week. It's pretty, and different, but a bit too powdery for me. I will wear it once in a while.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2013 1:46:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

L'Occitane Ambre is a resinous, thick, syrupy EdT that should be labeled an EdP. I happened upon a new storefront over 60 miles from my home and with delight sampled Ambre. The entire drive home I kept smiffing my wrists and inner elbows, thankfully on the dark roads home, else truck drivers would wonder what this woman was doing. So many images were coming to mind and I could not immediately ledger them.
A neighbor greeted me when I arrived home, and as we were talking, she interrupted me with, "You wear perfume like a woman should. That's how I want to smell. How do you do it?" This was well over three hours after I had sprayed myself in the store. I had already known Ambre would be a purchase, but her telling me this cinched the deal in my thoughts.
One of the images this fragrance brought to mind was a very old memory of when I would open my violin case, pull out the chunk of rosin to coat my bow, and inhale deep scents encompassed in the case. No matter how small the rosin cubes would get, I'd still keep then in the corner pocket of the violin case, because there was something about the mellowness and odor of aged rosins.
Ambre brings to mind old libraries to me, structures built centuries ago, the interiors of old panels of deep, dark wood. Twenty-foot high tall ceilings that are dimly lit, with stacks of books that are endless. Clean, dry, leathery smells that I would enjoy as I browsed the volumes. An airyness amongst the deep richness that I could inhale and not feel overwhelmed.
Vanilla plays into Ambre salaciously, almost lasciviously. Not sweet, not cloying, but mysterious, vampy and almost boozy. An adult vanilla that mixes with the notes beautifully to create a fragrance so warm and coy it can turn heads on the right person. Some tea influences with the bergamot mix well with the leathery notes of the labdanum, while the amber creates a delightfully creamy and warm vanilla-amber.
Ambre lasted well over six hours for me, and that included a hand-washing. The bottle looks vintage, quaint and I find it rather appealing.
Top Notes: Bergamot, Freesia.
Middle Notes: Labdanum, Tonka Bean.
Base Notes: Amber, Vanilla, Cedar.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2013 11:20:00 PM More reviews by SUPAtime

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ambre is not bad but it's not especially ambery-- in fact it reminds me more of Boucheron's Trouble than a straight amber. It's a tame puff of sweet, woody, vanilla, and floral notes with a bit of amber. Those looking for a reissue of L'Occitane's magnificent Amber extract from the 90's should keep searching. That said I do enjoy this scent for what it is: a pleasant and soft jumble that suggests amber without shouting it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2012 7:04:00 PM More reviews by lemonlye

(This perfume is also called Ambre if you go with the French spelling on the box). Though it claims to be all about the cistus (rockrose/labdanum) plant, it isn't the same blend as L'Occitane's Labdanum. Labdanum is EDP and a bit more woody and resinous; Amber is EDT and more what you'd expect of an amber. Quite easy to wear and pretty--soft and spicy and sweet but not cloying or powdery (I don't find it powdery, at least, which is a point in its favor). Doesn't go any strange places; stays warmly appealing the whole day. It's the kind of scent likely to make people say, "Mmm, you smell like cookies!"

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2012 3:43:00 PM More reviews by susie03

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I simply love this, it's warm and sensual but not at all cloying. I love spicy scents and find Amber gentler than Eau D Parie which I also love. I've been wearing this day and night through the summer but actually think I'm going to love it even more as the nights draw in.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2012 6:06:00 PM More reviews by BigEars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This one used to remind me of Ambre Narguile now it is a woody incense, very linear. The staying power is not bad but I prefer this one layered, usually with a simple vanilla. it is not terrible just not as great as it was.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2012 1:32:00 PM More reviews by jellybabythepinkcat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am happy this is back. So happy that I can almost feel the tears in my eyes. This is a kind of fragrance that gives you a warm glow from inside out. It feels like you have drunk a bottle of magic potion and suddenly start smelling the most gorgeous and inviting fragrance from within. I know I sound weird but that is how I feel when I wear this. The smell is sweet and woodsy. It is extremely comforting. I don't now how but it does manage to be sensual as well.

It comes in edt version but lasts longer than almost all the edps I know. I hope they will never ever discontinue this gem again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2012 11:22:00 PM More reviews by DebbieB43

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Let me start by saying I am obsessed with anything amber! Reading so much about the old L'Occitane Amber I was in hopes the re-issue would be close. Well....don't know about the original, but the re-issue is greatly disappointing. This is a pale sweet woods on me, with a strand of amber....there is no substance or tenacity to this fragrance, and very fleeting on me after an hour, it's barely there, and no amber:(
Leaves me curious as to what the original was like....*sigh*

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2012 11:01:00 AM More reviews by tessture

Wow, this one so didn't work for me. I tried L'Occitane's room scent amber and loved it for it's buttery, rich amber aspects, but this one is almost entirely wood on me and develops a sharp note like wood alcohol. Didn't work at all. AND I couldn't get it off. So up side on the longevity anyway.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2009 1:08:00 PM More reviews by ChildOfTheMoon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This review is for Amber edt... and what a tasty surprise it is! I wasn't sure what to expect ,but as a fan of ambery fragrances, I had to try it. Well, this is such a scrumptious and incredibly comforting scent. It's sweet, but not too sweet with powdery coziness, woodsy notes, vanilla and a bit of spice. It makes me think of resinous wood, dark chocolate and maple syrup. Maybe it sounds odd, but it works for me. It's more golden than dark, no where near as potent as my beloved Youth Dew, but sooo soft and inviting. A true comfort fragrance. If I could, I'd bathe in this stuff. :)) It does last though; I sprayed some in the morning and 6-7 hours later, I could still smell it on my winter jacket. Amber edt is a type of scent best suitable for colder months, can't imagine wearing it in summer. The bottle is gorgeous, with an old-fashioned feel. I also like that L'occitane uses plant-sourced amber, not the kind that comes from whales.