August 1, 2014 | 1956 users online

Highlighters - Mary Kay - Facial Highlighter Pen

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 8:35:00 PM More reviews by sherIN65

I have been on a quest for something to brighten my skin and give me some highlights without making me more shiny than what I already am. I loved this! I use it just above my cheek bone and it adds a nice glow to my skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by annieherdez

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I couldn't find a color that suited me so I picked up two shades and mixed them.

I like the way it brightens on my cheeks and bridge of my nose, but, as the concealer Mary Kay line, this dries my very oily skin to the point of making me all flakey on the areas where I applied it. Needless to say the result looked unflattering.

I'm still battling with the leftover dryness this product left me so I won't repurchase as the formula didn't work for me.

If your skin type doesn't have problems with the ingredients you'll probably like this product, specially if any of the shades compliment your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2012 11:57:00 PM More reviews by bbpandabear

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I just started using this and like it very much. I normally do not like Mary Kay products - I had bad experiences with their facial cleanser for acne prone skin (velocity was the lines name) in my teens.

My mom recently became a Mary Kay consultant, however, so now our house is teeming with random MK items! :) It must be the make- up junkie in me, but I must confess every now and then I will grab a product sitting on mamas desk of unused items, and try it out. I randomly picked this bad boy up in shade number 2, not expecting much. I was in for a pleasant suprise!

I have bought both high and low end concealers, trying so desperately to cover up my hereditary purple-blue dark circles, with "meh" results. Needless to say, I now have a droor full of products that do an at best, mediocre job covering - or, if they cover, also intensify fine lines under my eyes. Not pretty. This lil gem works so well! It does not completely rid my circles, but tones them down A LOT and best of all does not crease or accentuate lines!! I can swipe this on with no other make up if I do not feel like doing it, and yet at the same time feel comfortable in my skin (yes i am obsessed, but dark circles are my pet peeve).

I am warm-toned and very pale, about NC10 for reference. Shade 2 is neutral, not too pinky for my yellow undertones. I have not used it for highlighting other areas but can say it also works pretty well for lightening up blemish spots/ discolored areas from past acne.

I gave the packaging a lower score because I am not used to the clicky action, but its not a big deal because it goes on like a dream! I just draw in the highlighter over my purple shadow areas, fill in with the brush, which helps get all the excess product off the brush - still learnng how many clicks I need, haha), and pat with my figertip.

Please, try this if you have under eye issues - its cheap enough and may do the trick when so many products have failed you! ;)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2012 8:55:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this to see how it compared to YSL's touche eclat which I love. It was MUCH cheaper (I got it on ebay for less than $10 including shipping - it's about $14 through a consultant - YSL's product is about $38).

I tried the LIGHT shade and it's ok. You need to "prime the pump" and click the pen many times to get it started - after that BE CAREFUL or way too much product will ooze out. The brush tip is fine - not bad, not awesome. The product itself did not break me out but does not highlight as well (IMO) as YSL's famous touche eclat.

But for $10 - this wannabe is OK in a pinch. Will not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2011 6:30:00 AM More reviews by laylaperdomo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Maybe I had a defectively packaged item, I will never know because I will never repurchase. I absolutely hated the way this product dispensed. I tried slowly so that I won't waste product, but when nothing came out I tried faster and all this wasted product was a result. I tried on several different instances just to make sure it wasn't me, but Ughhhhhh.
I love Mary Kay products because they are such high quality, but this sucks BIG time. As far as the product itself, I think it's okay, but nothing that the MK Signature concealer wont do.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2010 5:02:00 PM More reviews by hdh41795

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this product almost everyday for the past couple of weeks. I can tell a difference after I put it on but it's not a dramatic change. I like it, but Im not sure if I like it enough to buy it again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2010 5:55:00 PM More reviews by confooseddesi608

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have very dark, hereditary under-eye circles. (Thanks Dad.) I am around an NC42-3 in MAC, E80-B15 in Cover Fx, with dark tan-olive skin.

Cost/ Size: The price is $18 USD for a 0.04 size. Highlighting pens usually come in these small sizes. With how much highlighter I had to use to get any coverage, this is a very small size. Price and sizewise, Yves Saint Laurent's Touche Éclat is LESS money! (Mary Kay's is $450 for an ounce; Touche is $400 for an ounce.) Perhaps, however, Mary Kay's is more coverage and thus less product needed than the Touche. (I have never used the latter due to the terrible lack of shades).

Packaging: This, like many highlighters I think, comes in a click-style pen (turn the bottom) with a brush. I very much dislike this packaging. You have to click about 75 times to get it started, and then too much comes out. Also, for sanitary reasons, brushing the brush against your face can contaminate it. If you want to be hygienic, you should use your own brush (which is better for application as well). However, I did not, as I am lazy. Also, the pen style allows companies to put much less product in the container while seeming to put an adequate amount; the pen itself, with its brush and click mechanism, takes up more space than the actual product. I don't see why they didn't just put in a squeeze tube. I suppose they wanted a dupe of the legendary Touche Éclat!

Texture: This formula is extra creamy, as I think it should be, seeing as its intended use is under the eyes (I think). It blends easily against the skin.

Coverage: I give it a -100 for coverage. This is a foundation (coverage-wise), not a concealer. To be fair, this is marketed as a highlighter, not a concealer. However if its intended use is to lighten the under-eyes, it failed miserably for me. When I tried to build up coverage, since a simple swipe (for me) did absolutely nothing, it creased under my eyes--and my darkness still did not look covered at all! Thus, coverage is NOT buildable. Then again, I have very dark under-eyes. I think if you have very slight darkness under your eyes, or just want to have a brightened, well-rested look, this may be the product for you. However, I can't see why you just wouldn't use an actual foundation, which is much less expensive than this (for the amount you get). Also, you could use this on the inner corners of your eyes, and under your brow bone, as an actual highlighter.

Method of application: I swiped the product on with a brush, then blended with a concealer brush. I would recommend this or simply using a concealer brush, but make sure you don't just use the brush included. Also, your fingers would probably not do a good job, seeing how thin this product is. The product blends easily enough with a concealer brush.

Endurance: To be completely honest--I hated this and did not leave it on long enough to see how long it would last. HOWEVER, since I must have put half the pen's liquid under my eyes in an attempt to dispel the darkness, I did notice that it creased a LOT. However, if you are just putting a simple swipe of the product under your eyes, it will probably not crease.

Shades: There are four shades: Shade 1, Shade 2, Shade 3, and Shade 4. Very creative. Shade 4 looked to dark on the Mary Kay site, so I purchased Shade 3. (Incidentally, it was quite a bit lighter than it appeared on the site. Perhaps Shade 4 would have worked. So caution: the colors look darker on the site than they are in reality.) It is a very peachy, cool shade, which is bad for me, since I am warm toned. Also, it was way too light for me. I do not know if shade 4 would work, because I don't plan on buying it. I think perhaps if you were around NW25-30 and cool toned, this would be the right shade for you. The shade selection is very disappointing, but this is usually the case with click-style concealer-highlighters, for some reason.

Availability: You can buy from a Mary Kay representative, or online (eBay) for cheaper. I bought it for under five dollars and it retails for $18! This is 72.2% less than regular retail. (I like to do math. I'm a nerd.) If you don't know your shade I would recommend going to a representative and testing it, though it would be a little mean to test the product with a Mary Kay representative, and then turn around and purchase it on eBay. (However, saving $13 dollars . . . hmm.)

Ingredients: WATER, ETHYL MACADAMIATE, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE, SORBITAN ISOSTEARATE, PTFE, POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE, POLYSILICONE-7, CETYL DIMETHICONE, SILICA, HEXYL LAURATE, BARIUM SULFATE, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, DIAZOLIDINYL UREA, CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, RETINYL PALMITATE, TOCOPHEROL, MALIC ACID, GLYCERIN, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, MICA, IRON OXIDES, TALC, ISODODECANE, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, LAUROYL LYSINE, PENTYLENE GLYCOL

rated 2 of 5 on 12/15/2009 1:29:00 PM More reviews by angel31

Unfortunately, I am going to have to agree with the negative reviews on this product. It DOES brighten up the eye area, but it also settles into the little fine lines around my eyes. Icky. So, it solves one problem but causes another. I will use this up on blemishes, but I won't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2009 3:54:00 AM More reviews by sunlee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have never before used Mary Kay products, until very recently when I entered a $50 gift certificate drawing on a whim -- never expecting to win -- and I did! The consultant, Becky, was very nice, drove 45 minutes to my house, and was not at all pushy.

In the end, I ended up spending $100 out of pocket, after the $50 credit, and all on makeup! I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the makeup. The eye shadows are gorgeous, very highly-pigmented, and really reasonably priced for the quality. The "Shy" blush is a dead ringer for Nars "Orgasm" but at a fraction of the price.

What really surprised me, though, was the Facial Highlighting Pen. For years, I'd been hearing about YSL's Touche Eclat, and I really didn't see what the big deal was. I've tried concealers, but never found one that didn't look cakey or fake. I don't have bad undereye circles; probably what most people have, just a bit of darker skin coloring underneath the inside corner of my eyes. When Becky, swiped a bit of the Facial Highlighting Pen (in #2) under one of my eyes and blended, I really wasn't expecting it to make much of a (flattering) difference. When she handed me the mirror, I could see an immediate difference in that eye looked a bit brighter and more "refreshed" looking. And, it didn't settle into any fine lines. I haven't found the Facial Highlighting Pen to be too dry to use underneath the eyes, perhaps because I have oily skin?

Overall, I'm really happy with Mary Kay's makeup; there are definitely some great items. I'm really liking the new compacts. I purchased the smaller compact with the consultant, and just purchased the larger Pro compact on ebay. I like the endless variations in terms of filling up the compact, and the Pro compact is definitely an all-in-one compact that would fit everything that you need to make up a complete face. I like that!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2009 4:46:00 PM More reviews by BitOHoney

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Will continue to purchase. Great multi use product for me, concealor If I don't want full face foundation, quick touch ups and adding some glowiness to the face.