July 23, 2014 | 1879 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2014 7:47:00 PM More reviews by youwillneverfindme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I hate this stuff, mostly because it irritates my rosacea into little red bumps that look like tiny acne. (Those of us familiar with rosacea know that these little red bumps come along with the skin condition, and at least in my case, when it's severely irritated, the bumps are an extreme result.)

Now, to be fair, most sunscreens (chemical or physical) will do this, but I'm usually able to combat it by using a good lotion first (possibly one with silicones), then sunscreen. This method doesn't work for Neutrogena's Dry-Touch spf 55. In addition, the stuff is thick enough that I kind of feel like my skin is suffocating, and it makes my face shinier and sweat more than it already naturally does.

So, the icing on the cake: over the span of a two hour fishing expedition to a white sand beach, under direct sun, it didn't protect as well as say MAC's old P+P spf 55. There are a couple things to mention here: 1) I sweat a lot, so I could have sweat the stuff off 2) It did keep my face better protected than other areas of my body where I didn't use sunscreen. Nevertheless, even with these things in mind, it still failed to protect as well as other sunscreens I've used, in addition to making my skin angry.

It's not inexpensive either, at around $11-14 a tube, depending on where I buy here in NYC. No, thanks, Neutrogena.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2014 11:17:00 PM More reviews by aidanqm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Pro's
* Clear finish
* minimal eye stinging
* didn't burn or tan much while wearing

Con's
* Clogged all of the pores on my forehead and broke me out with red blemishes along my chin, jawline and cheeks within a week
* stung my cheeks badly if applied to wet or freshly showered skin
* Fragranced
* Expensive for the small amount

Summary: for those who aren't irritated by this sunscreen, it could offer good broad spectrum protection. However, it broke me out badly and clogged all of my pores within a few days.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2014 8:55:00 PM More reviews by RaquellaDeVille

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Five years or so ago, maybe longer, I used to be obsessed with the Neutrogena Sheer Dry Touch in SPF 30. So I recently started using the SPF 55 thinking it was similar and... It's not. Either they changed the formulation of all of their dry touch sunscreens, or the higher SPF versions are particularly awful.

This one smells super strong. Not a pleasant scent, but a scent of horrible chemicals. It's so strong that I get wafts of it throughout the day and it bothers me. It also isn't lightweight. It's definitely not the heaviest sunscreen I have used by any stretch, but it feels greasy and filmy enough that I wouldn't want to use it for an every day purpose. And finally, other reviewers are right when they say it BURNS! My skin IS extra sensitive at times because I use Retin-A, but I have a feeling this stuff would irritate most skin.

I am a soon to be physician assistant and we are currently learning dermatology. We have learned that you really don't get TOO much additional SPF protection after 30, so I can imagine that simply using the SPF 30 in this brand would be good. Also, with all my knowledge about different sunscreens, I do have to say that this sunscreen is one of the best in terms of its broad spectrum protection and its stability. I guess you can't have it all!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/30/2014 10:01:00 PM More reviews by Alicia868

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like the dry touch matte finish, and i find somehow it evens out my skin tone so i dont need any makeup. If u layer to heavy it will be whitish.... Great sun protection but very heavy and i do break out from it...looking for something water based next time.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2014 2:21:00 PM More reviews by Athena2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this sunscreen for years, and will continue to do so. However, I am not giving it a higher rating because I only use it on my body and face when I'm at the beach or working in the yard. It works really well at protecting me when I'm out in the sun for an extended period of time. However, I would not wear it on my face if I was going to work, which is what I think it's being marketed for, given the small size of the tube and the price. I think the smell is very strong, but I do tend to be overly sensitive to fragrance. Even though I have dry skin, it feels like it takes forever to soak in to my face, and it feels greasy which is what I would expect from a 55 spf product).

Ultimately, it's good "beach" sunscreen.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 9:06:00 AM More reviews by IHeartMakeup267

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The best sunblock for shine control ever! My skin is really oily, but this dries matte on my face an keeps it matte for many hours. It doesn't dry my skin out or anything. The white cast is minimal, to avoid it i usually apply bronzer very lightly all over my face, or sometimes i just mix the product in my hand with a bit of tinted sunblock. I would definitely repurchase this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2014 11:56:00 PM More reviews by stream27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't have a bad skin reaction to this sunscreen. I really like it. It absorbs amazingly fast and is perfect for a facial sunscreen because it dries down to a near-matte finish, unlike the majority of high-SPF sunscreens that are amazingly greasy even hours after application.

Since many people seem to be having reactions, it might be best to do a spot test on the inside of your elbow before trying it on your face, but if you're not allergic, it really is a great product.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/20/2014 12:04:00 PM More reviews by staysavvy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I apply this product every morning after moisturizing and before makeup. Provided I let it soak in completely, the texture (thick at first) blends perfectly with my skin and does not interfere with my makeup.

I live in Wisconsin and wear this year-round, but also wore it during a June vacation in California and did not burn.

My HUGE complaint with this is that it hurts any tender skin on my face and melts into my eyes. If I am very careful not to apply it anywhere near my eyes, it's great! However, I want sun protection around my eyes, too ... and this just can't provide it. A bit got into my eye this morning, which caused my eyes to start watering, which caused even more to get into my eyes to the point that I was near blind/looked like I was sobbing at my desk and I had to go to the bathroom and wash off everything around my eyes just to stop. Now my eyes are bloodshot and painful :(

With that in mind, I would not recommend this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2013 7:43:00 PM More reviews by koalasarenotbears

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm liking this sunscreen so far.

It's quite thick, and not that easy to spread, but once you get the hang of application, it goes on evenly and smoothly.

It has a light, pleasant fragrance, and is a nice base under my bb cream.

It seems to last very well, I've never burned or tanned when wearing it.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/29/2013 3:00:00 AM More reviews by CristineF

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Green

This is one of many high/very high protection sunscreens I tried. I used it in very hot weathers of Florida and while holidaying on Southern European seas. It did what I wanted it to do - I did not tan at all! The texture and smell are heaven for such a high sunscreen but honestly forget about it! The reactions your skin gets after using it are horrible! The funny thing is that at first I decided that the very dry (almost peeling) skin around my month, all the red bumps and burning cheeks were all due to the seaside weather - salty air, strong winds and such, it was only then I ran out of it and had to use a different sunscreen I started suspecting Neutrogena but after reading the reviews of MUA members on this product I became convinced of it.