October 1, 2014 | 1561 users online

Cleansers - Clinique - Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2014 9:46:00 PM More reviews by dibbun

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I travel and spend the night at work a lot, so I wanted a make up remover that wouldn't spill all over and would take off my eye make up; this fits the bill.

The first time I used the emulsifying oil my mind was kind of blown, and this was no exception. I think it does take off more if you put it on dry, work it into a liquid on your skin, wet your hands a little, and massage on your face till it turns milky. Don't just rub it on dry and then splash it off with a ton of water (like I do if I'm tired and just want to go to bed).

There is also no lingering scent, a big gripe I had with Origins cleansing oil. And unlike DHC you don't have to order online; Cliniques can be found just about anywhere.

I always use baby was after this stuff so I can't speak to how it'd be if you used it on it's own.

That said, wow this stuff is expensive! I'm not convinced it's worth the price, but I love that it travels so easily as it's a solid.

At home I will continue to use my jojoba oil at home, but use this for away.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2014 2:22:00 AM More reviews by wendella721

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an amazing product. very gentle, hypoallergenic, unscented and perfect for sensitive skin. does irritate the eye area, and doesn't dry out my skin. A small amount lifts off all traces of make up on the face.

the product is a bit expensive. $35 but it is the best make up remover I have come accoss.

Clinique take the day make up remover for lids, lashes , and lips is very good too. for a slightly less price.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2014 11:56:00 PM More reviews by tallwithglasses

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a great balm. It takes off all my makeup easily, including any sort of mascara. I like to use it as do face massage, and it's just right. There's no scent and no residue left after removing it. Love.
I don't like jar packaging, but it doesn't matter so much in this case.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2014 6:43:00 PM More reviews by buytoomuchmakeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

HOLY GRAIL.
This product is just amazing. It cleans very gentely yet it's effective. My skin feels nice and smooth after using this, doesn't break me out, feels amazing on the skin.
I use this as my second step in my routine after I've pre-cleansed my face I follow up with this product and I can be sure that everything is removed from my face.
Wouldn't want to live a day without this.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2014 9:50:00 AM More reviews by formika8476

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

*HG* Highly recommended for oily skin and sensitive skin.

Recently confirmed that this is a must-have for me when I went without it for two weeks, relying on cetaphil and foaming cleanser. Within days, my skin started to feel scaly and bumpy, and I developed an outbreak of cystic acne on my chin. I haven't had a break-out in 15 years. It only took a few days back on the Cleansing Balm for my skin to feel baby-smooth again, and the zits are clearing up quickly considering they were pretty deep.

I have extremely sensitive, reactive, dehydrated, oily skin. For as long as I can remember, I've used long-wearing foundation to stand up to the oil, starting with Revlon ColorStay and ending with my favorite, MUFE Face & Body. Washing that off is not easy with a foaming, soap-based cleanser; I often had to wash twice to get the makeup off, which seriously stripped my skin. This Balm is thorough and gentle. I do use a gentle foaming cleanser or dove soap afterwards, but many have done well without this extra step.

***Major Bonus*** Since I started using this, my lashes are longer and have noticeably more body. I also seem to have grown a second tier of upper lashes. I know, amazing. I did not get this from the DHC.

*On cleansing oils*
I don't know how I got by before I discovered cleansing oil/balm. For the uninitiated, this is distinct from the oil-cleansing method (OCM), which calls for a straight-up oil like olive or coconut. The Cleansing Balm/cleansing oil is based on the same principle of like-dissolves-like : oils dissolve oils, water dissolves water (think of how much gentler and more effective an oil-based eye-makeup remover is than one that is oil-free). Unlike the OCM, though, the Cleansing Balm is engineered to dissolve in water as well, which means that after dissolving all the oil and makeup in the dry phase, it rinses clean once you add water, washing everything away. Meaning no pore-clogging oil particles. It does help to be fairly meticulous about using totally dry hands on a totally dry face in the beginning. I can't emphasize this enough. Blot your lips/eyes/nose right before if necessary; the technology just doesn't work as well if there's any kind of water when you first put it on.

*Compared to DHC Deep Cleansing Oil*
I was a longtime DHC deep cleansing oil user until one day last year, when I didn't feel like waiting for the mail...I'm thrilled that I gave this a shot, because as much as I like the DHC, I was getting annoyed with the mail-order-only aspect-- the waiting, the shipping charges, feeling like I had to bulk order to save on shipping, etc. The Clinique Cleansing Balm works just as well as the DHC in terms of gentle but thorough make-up removal, and I find that the solid form is easier to deal with (travels better) and more shelf-stable than the liquid-and-pump situation (I've had the DHC go off).
The DHC rinses to a squeakier clean, but like I said, the Clinique has done great things for my skin and my lashes -- without the hassle. I also think it lasts a bit longer b/c you have more control over how much you use.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2014 2:10:00 PM More reviews by Horxus

I love this balm so much! It takes off all of my makeup (mascara included), doesn't burn in my eyes or break me out. It's not scented so that also might be plus for some people but doesn't feel very luxurious. Sometimes I use it with a flannel, sometimes I just wash it off with warm water ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2014 6:28:00 PM More reviews by leavingthingsbehind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

A serious HG cleanser contender.

A jar of this lasts 2-3 months of everyday use with a cleansing cloth, it is a real pleasure to use. Keeps my skin clear, blemish free and radiant and not too dehydrated.

I scoop a half a tea spoon amount of product, warm it up in my hands and massage all over my face and neck taking off sunscreen, makeup and the city dirt in the process. I have experimented and smeared it all over my eyelids while wearing contacts (crazy, I know - normally I remove my lenses first, then take off my eye makeup with a bi-phased eye makeup remover separately before I proceed with the rest of my face) and it took off all my waterproof eye makeup (NARS eyeshadow primer, cream eyeshadow, liner etc.) without making my vision blurry or any stinging. I am using a tubing mascara so with a warm, moist face cloth it is a one step cleanser and makeup remover. Love it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2014 9:50:00 PM More reviews by wendycoco

This stuff is ok it doesn't remove all my makeup though especially my mascara. For the price it should be taking it all off. That being said my skin feels good after using it and I don't break out.
I'm going to try the body shop one next and if that one doesn't work out ill stick to garnier nutrise cleaning oil. Which works very well and much cheaper.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2014 11:17:00 AM More reviews by runty

This balm removes every last trace of my makeup, including liquid liner and mascara. I use a very small amount, warm it in my hands and then apply to dry skin. I love massaging it over my face and watching as my makeup melts together and turns grey! I wash it off with warm water and a Mario Badescu cleanser, and it's like I never had anything on my skin. It's pricey in Australia ($55) but I would never want to be without it!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2014 10:22:00 PM More reviews by taygete05

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

A little goes a long way with this balm. It can feel a little greasy on my fingers, but feels soft on my face. I like to steam my face with a hot washcloth a little bit along with this balm, and it's never irritated or clogged my fairly sensitive skin.