Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

4.3

Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Sorbeth-30 Tetraoleate, Polyethylene, Peg-5 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Water, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol

on 8/18/2015 7:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I'll be honest and say I've been sucked into the hype around this product and went out and bought it.
At 22, it's definitely the most expensive skincare product that I own but I feel as though it's justifiable.

I love how it's unscented! And I love using it to give myself a mini facial massage. I apply a small amount to my face, rub it in and then apply a warm flannel to my face to wipe it off. It does a pretty good job at removing eye and face make up.

However, my eyes feel so uncomfortable when I remove my eye make up and my eyesight becomes blurry. Also, I cringe a little every time I put my fingers in the tub but that could be avoided by using a spatula to scoop out some product.

All in all, it's a great product and I seem to have abandoned my micellar water for it - oops!

on 8/18/2015 2:03:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have used this balm as a first cleanse for over a year and a half. It's an efficient, no fuss sort of product. I work outside and this cleansing balm gets everything off - I usually come home with layers of sunscreen and dirt on my face. To cleanse, I'll scoop out the balm with clean hands and massage it on my face and neck. This step in my routine is so lovely. While the first few times it feels like you are slathering lard on your face, it becomes so relaxing to feel and see all your makeup dissolve. To remove, I'll use a wet washcloth to gently pat off all the oil. I'll then rinse my face with water and follow with a second cleanser.

The tub is quite large and lasts me about six months. While I love the balm texture, I do wish the packaging was more hygienic. It's really gross to see your finger marks in a product that you're using the clean your face.

The price is pretty typical for a Clinique product. However, you could really just use safflower seed oil to cleanse and it would be a lot cheaper. However, I'm willing to pay $30 for this balm because I need a cleansing oil that emulsifies. It makes washing my face so much easier!

That being said, I am always on the lookout for a new cleansing oil. This one fits the bill in many regards - It's unscented, I love the ingredients, and it's efficient. But if I could find an oil that also has better packaging, I would definitely stop using the product. But so far, I haven't found anything to rival TTDO!

on 8/17/2015 2:25:00 PM

Typically I use ponds cold cream. Which is about $1 per ounce. I had a gift card to spend and didn't need anything so I decided to splurge on this since people praise it.

Imo this is so inferior of a makeup remover. This dried out my skin (and I have oily skin). My skin dried out really badly and I even had peeling near my mouth that went away when I discontinued use.

It's really difficult to remove eye makeup with this and I needed to use a ton, which is NOT OK considering how expensive this is.

In all it just wasn't worth the price tag. And im thankful for that, bc there are much cheaper alternatives that perform better so this isn't at all a "must have"

on 8/17/2015 2:07:00 PM

Don't understand the love for this product. Could be my skin, could be that Estee Lauder/Clinique pushes it in every magazine and every blogger. You know, repeat something often enough and it becomes accepted as fact. It's barely effective, struggles with long-lasting and water-resistant stuff, no matter how much I use (with other balms I need a glob somewhere the size of a grape AT MOST) or how long I let on skin ir massage it. Horrible with eyes, I would go as far and say it's entirely unsuitable for eyes, it gets inside easily and clouds vision like pure oil would, and doesn't melt everything off. It's cleansing powers are average. Clinique advertizes it as being capable of removing tenacious makeup and sunscreen easily in a non-greasy and non-drying lightweight balm-to-oil formula. Clinique and I must have two very different versions of TTDO balm. It's as greasy as they come and after rinsing skin is tight, even before any other cleansers. A follow up cleanser is vital, otherwise it clogs up my skin and breaks me out, but I always double cleanse anyway, I'm just saying it because sometimes people think an oil or balm cleanser is all they need. In short, it's a makeup remover that fails to remove makeup and is too harsh on skin. Jar is pretty, and for that and the fact that it's fragrance-free it gets 2 lippies.

on 8/4/2015 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Well, yes, the consistency is somewhat like lard. But this is a lovely, lovely cleanser.

I've gone a bit crazy recently trying new cleansers. And this one is an absolute delight. Yes, a delight. Rarely am I delighted by something like a face cleanser, but there you have it. Since I added this to the rotation, my skin has been the best it's been in a long, long time. I do the full hot cloth rigamarole with this: apply the balm to dry skin, massage it in with fingers, massage and wipe off with a soft (wet, in warmish water) washcloth. I only do this at night when I've been wearing sunscreen or something heavier, and it seems to take everything off. It gets rid of the Marc Jacobs eyeliner which tends to be stubborn and otherwise leaves me racoony in the morning, so that's another plus.

It's totally scentless, and has not irritated my skin at all. In a way it'd be nice if it smelled of something pleasant, but it works and if Paula & her beauty police are right and fragrance is the devil, then Clinique did it right with this product.

I follow this with something else (and I'm pretty sure that's what Clinique recommends: this isn't meant to be a standalone, one and only cleanser, but a first cleanse, makeup remover.) Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip works really, really nicely as a followup to this.

My only complaint: the tub is too wide to fit into my narrow bathroom cabinet, so it perches awkwardly in various spots around my bathroom. But my bathroom is in a crappy rental, so probably should not be used to judge anything. It's cheaper than Eve Lom and that ilk, so I'm not going to complain about price. It seems like it will last a long time, so it's a good value for the price, and Clinique being Clinique, there's always a good GWP if you're patient enough.

on 8/2/2015 9:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I wanted to love this after all the great reviews and after Lisa Eldridge recommended it (love her) but it didn't work out for my dry, sensitive skin. It's definitely efficient at removing every bit of makeup and cleansing, but it strips my skin in the process and I ended up breaking out. I stopped using and even went back to it a month later hoping it was some other culprit but alas, the same thing happened. I'll be giving it to a friend with less sensitive skin, I'm sure she'll love it. Price might seem a bit steep but you use so little at a time so it'll last ages. And the packaging is fine, just don't put dirty hands in it no biggie.

on 7/31/2015 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

OMG why didn't I try this sooner in my life! I wish I had and it would have saved me so much money :(
I have been using the Eve Lom Cleanser but it costs an arm and a leg. Not to mention, I do not like the fact that i need a cloth to wipe it off because it's too time consuming. The only reason i stuck to Eve Lom is because it cleaned everything very thoroughly. Fast forward to a few months, and i was looking for something more affordable, and came across this. I was very skeptical because it's a thick balm (reminds me of shea butter) but it simply melts into my fingers and my face. It is SUPER EASY to use with NO FRILLS attached!!! I LOVE IT! I can also use warm water to rinse it off quickly and very effectively. I use this to remove sunscreen, makeup and even eye makeup (no stinging)! It leaves my skin feeling squeaky clean, comfortable, and soft. Did i mention that it is a fragrance free product? I'm in LOVE with this cleanser and this is my HG cleanser!!! Definitely worth the hype and pricetag!

on 7/27/2015 9:08:00 AM

i use this stuff for facial massage because lisa eldridge told me to:

(i basically do whatever lisa eldridge tells me to do even if she is an eccentric millionaire who is getting me into a ton of credit card debt.)

i really like the packaging, and it feels satisfyingly heavy and substantial even though it's plastic. the silver and purple are really pretty and you get a lot of it, i've had mine for ages and it's not even half gone yet. the packaging design means i do have to be really careful to make sure my hands are completely clean before i dig into this stuff, but you could use a spatula to get the product out if you wanted. i prefer it to a tube because it just feels more old hollywood glamorous to me to unscrew a big wide lid of something, but that's probably just me.

the product smells really nice and i like the texture of it and how it responds to being warmed up in your hands. i've tried the boots botanics cleansing balm, and i found that was quite heavy and oily, whereas this is nice and light and doesn't feel greasy on your skin. it washes off easily and doesn't leave any kind of residue like i know some cleansing balms can, and i usually don't feel like i need to moisturise after i use it.

it takes off my makeup really easily, but i don't use it on my eyes because like other reviewers have said it doesn't seem like a good idea to intentionally blind myself, so i take off my eye makeup first. i don't really use this as a makeup remover, it's more for the facial massage and when i want to give my skin a bit of extra attention. i really love it for that and will buy another one when this runs out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I was really worried when I first bought this that it would result in disaster. I had previously experiences deep, nasty breakouts from Clinique foundations and didn't want to repeat that fiasco. I had also used a cleansing oil (from Garnier) before and found it had left a weird film on my face even after multiple rinses. However, this has been working famously for me.

It's an enormous, kind of clunky container that probably isn't to travel friendly but that isn't a deal breaker for me. You get a ton of product and considering I don't wear makeup every day of the week and even if I do it's a fairly light layer so I'm sure this stuff will last me forever and at 28.50USD that isn't too bad on the wallet.

The product itself is a hard white balmy product that as you rub it into the skin emulsifies into a very easy to spread product. I start with my face working in gentle circles then, using my weakest fingers, gently massage into my eye area. I then use warm water to rinse away and as it contacts with water this product gets milky and quite lovely. It rinses away clean and I find it leaves no residue, tackiness, or leaving my skin feeling tight or stripped. Usually if I wear makeup and use this I lightly exfoliate afterwards then apply moisturizer and boom!

This definitely takes off everything, down to the tiniest bit of mascara/eyeliner. It'll even take off really long-wear lip products with some extra effort.

The only issue I have with this product is that the oils can, and sometimes do, end up on the surface of my eyes and makes them blurry and weird feeling. However, it does not burn. So not so bad...right? Overall a good product that does not seem to be breaking me out but doing an excellent job and breaking down my makeup at the end of the day. Plan on repurchasing if it continues to work for me.

on 7/11/2015 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Wow, wow, WOW! didn't really know what o expect from this but I knew I had to find something different than the daily wiping I've been doing with makeup removing cloths. I even remove my eye makeup with a cotton ball and eye makeup remover but I have to do it for a while and my eyes are way too delicate to tug like that everyday. I just hit 30! anyway, used this just fifteen minutes ago for the first time and I am in love! it is so easy to apply and a little goes a long way. seriously, eye makeup melts right off! no tugging, repeated wiping which means no itritation! easy to rinse off and it even left my skin soft. what I really love about this is that when I used my regular gel cleanser afterwards, it sudsed up so very easily! usually when you use something oily, your cleansers don't suds up, you have to do it again but not after this remover! no complaints and this is my go to makeup remover from here on. buh bye makeup removing clothes and eye makeup remover!