October 22, 2014 | 1586 users online

Cleansers - Clinique - Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2014 1:30:00 PM More reviews by tigerh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this about two weeks and I'm pretty impressed - it removes all makeup including mascara really well. The balm turns into an oil whe you rub it on your face but it rinses really well. Just be careful to wash it off especially near the ears as I think it can clog if not washed off properly. I've sometimes used normal foaming facewsh afterwards but I mostly use the balm alone. It was great when I had an allergy from neem oil as the balm is so bland and gentle that it didn't irritate my skin at all but still got rid of all my makeup.

On the downside, I have no need for the bottle of Bioderma nor the Toleriane cleaner that I bought last year. TTDO balm is my new favourite!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2014 12:37:00 PM More reviews by therose12

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

PERFECT...Cleanses better than anything I have ever used.

I apply a dime size amount and It melts the makeup off, I then tissue off and then use a cotton ball damped with Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel, to remove any traces of makeup left behind.
I have very sensitive skin and this cleanser is great!!!

Pros: No breakouts or irritations
Cleans all traces of foundation off face

Cons: NONE

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2014 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Lms526

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I recently started using a Merle Norman long-lasting foundation. I was finding that it was hard to remove with my trusty makeup removing wipes. I recently returned a foundation from Sephora. I didn't have a receipt, so they gave me the refund on a giftcard. I had some time after work yesterday, I decided to go to Sephora to see if I could find something to use it on. A very helpful and friendly SA asked me if she could help me. I told her that I wanted to find a new makeup remover. She recommended this cleansing balm from Clinique. She also told me how to use it. Which was helpful. If she hadn't, I wouldn't have had a clue how to apply it. When I opened the container, I was expecting a cream. But it's actually a solid. But once you rub it on your face, it turns into a liquid. I was amazed how how well this makeup removed everything. With my makeup remover wipes, I was having to scrub to remove the Merle Norman foundation. The Merle Norman is my HG foundation, so there is no way I was going to quit using it. I was also a little concerned that it would leave a residue on my face, or be too drying on my face. But it wasn't at all. I splashed some water on my face and it came right off. My face felt clean and smooth. It didn't feel overly dry or tight. Yes, this balm is a tad pricey at $28, but in my opinion, it is worth every penny. I will definitely purchase this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2014 6:29:00 AM More reviews by aizmaskas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

This was my first cleansing balm and I have run through 3 jars. It is a very luxurious feeling and rich cleansing balm without any smell, excellent for removing makeup, cleansing my face and giving myself a facial massage.

Pros: doesn't give me any breakouts
excellently removes makeup and cleans skin
excellent for facial massage
just feels good

Cons: price a bit high for a facial cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2014 2:13:00 PM More reviews by Catfink90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I have only been using this cleanser for a week but so far I am amazed with the results. I didn't need to powder my face at all at work today (I usually need to several times due to how oily I get) so I feel like it is helping to balance out my oil production. This removes every trace of makeup and leaves my skin feeling squeaky clean but not dry or tight. It's also started diminishing the appearance of some blocked pores on my nose that I thought I would never get rid of, and people at work are commenting on how clear my skin looks! I have never paid this much for a cleanser before (it is $55 in Australia), but if it continues to give me these results I will continue to purchase!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2014 9:46:00 PM More reviews by dibbun

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I travel and spend the night at work a lot, so I wanted a make up remover that wouldn't spill all over and would take off my eye make up; this fits the bill.

The first time I used the emulsifying oil my mind was kind of blown, and this was no exception. I think it does take off more if you put it on dry, work it into a liquid on your skin, wet your hands a little, and massage on your face till it turns milky. Don't just rub it on dry and then splash it off with a ton of water (like I do if I'm tired and just want to go to bed).

There is also no lingering scent, a big gripe I had with Origins cleansing oil. And unlike DHC you don't have to order online; Cliniques can be found just about anywhere.

I always use baby was after this stuff so I can't speak to how it'd be if you used it on it's own.

That said, wow this stuff is expensive! I'm not convinced it's worth the price, but I love that it travels so easily as it's a solid.

At home I will continue to use my jojoba oil at home, but use this for away.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2014 2:22:00 AM More reviews by wendella721

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an amazing product. very gentle, hypoallergenic, unscented and perfect for sensitive skin. does irritate the eye area, and doesn't dry out my skin. A small amount lifts off all traces of make up on the face.

the product is a bit expensive. $35 but it is the best make up remover I have come accoss.

Clinique take the day make up remover for lids, lashes , and lips is very good too. for a slightly less price.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2014 11:56:00 PM More reviews by tallwithglasses

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a great balm. It takes off all my makeup easily, including any sort of mascara. I like to use it as do face massage, and it's just right. There's no scent and no residue left after removing it. Love.
I don't like jar packaging, but it doesn't matter so much in this case.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2014 6:43:00 PM More reviews by buytoomuchmakeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

HOLY GRAIL.
This product is just amazing. It cleans very gentely yet it's effective. My skin feels nice and smooth after using this, doesn't break me out, feels amazing on the skin.
I use this as my second step in my routine after I've pre-cleansed my face I follow up with this product and I can be sure that everything is removed from my face.
Wouldn't want to live a day without this.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2014 9:50:00 AM More reviews by formika8476

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

*HG* Highly recommended for oily skin and sensitive skin.

Recently confirmed that this is a must-have for me when I went without it for two weeks, relying on cetaphil and foaming cleanser. Within days, my skin started to feel scaly and bumpy, and I developed an outbreak of cystic acne on my chin. I haven't had a break-out in 15 years. It only took a few days back on the Cleansing Balm for my skin to feel baby-smooth again, and the zits are clearing up quickly considering they were pretty deep.

I have extremely sensitive, reactive, dehydrated, oily skin. For as long as I can remember, I've used long-wearing foundation to stand up to the oil, starting with Revlon ColorStay and ending with my favorite, MUFE Face & Body. Washing that off is not easy with a foaming, soap-based cleanser; I often had to wash twice to get the makeup off, which seriously stripped my skin. This Balm is thorough and gentle. I do use a gentle foaming cleanser or dove soap afterwards, but many have done well without this extra step.

***Major Bonus*** Since I started using this, my lashes are longer and have noticeably more body. I also seem to have grown a second tier of upper lashes. I know, amazing. I did not get this from the DHC. Works even better if I start massaging the balm into my lashes before moving on to the rest of my face, then avoid the eye area when I use the foaming cleanser. I'm guessing it's something about the safflower oil in this.

*On cleansing oils*
I don't know how I got by before I discovered cleansing oil/balm. For the uninitiated, this is distinct from the oil-cleansing method (OCM), which calls for a straight-up oil like olive or coconut. The Cleansing Balm/cleansing oil is based on the same principle of like-dissolves-like : oils dissolve oils, water dissolves water (think of how much gentler and more effective an oil-based eye-makeup remover is than one that is oil-free). Unlike the OCM, though, the Cleansing Balm is engineered to dissolve in water as well, which means that after dissolving all the oil and makeup in the dry phase, it rinses clean once you add water, washing everything away. Meaning no pore-clogging oil particles. It does help to be fairly meticulous about using totally dry hands on a totally dry face in the beginning. I can't emphasize this enough. Blot your lips/eyes/nose right before if necessary; the technology just doesn't work as well if there's any kind of water when you first put it on.

*Compared to DHC Deep Cleansing Oil*
I was a longtime DHC deep cleansing oil user until one day last year, when I didn't feel like waiting for the mail...I'm thrilled that I gave this a shot, because as much as I like the DHC, I was getting annoyed with the mail-order-only aspect-- the waiting, the shipping charges, feeling like I had to bulk order to save on shipping, etc. The Clinique Cleansing Balm works just as well as the DHC in terms of gentle but thorough make-up removal, and I find that the solid form is easier to deal with (travels better) and more shelf-stable than the liquid-and-pump situation (I've had the DHC go off).
The DHC rinses to a squeakier clean, but like I said, the Clinique has done great things for my skin and my lashes -- without the hassle. I also think it lasts a bit longer b/c you have more control over how much you use.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No