November 24, 2014 | 1225 users online

Self Tanners - Ella Bache - Great Tan Without Sun

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2014 6:16:00 AM More reviews by Vanhusk

Absolutely amazing fake tan in terms of colour, ease of application and longevity. I've tried a LOT of fake tans and this was my favorite for years. Sadly, one day after using it on and off for 5 years my body decided it would become allergic to it, breaking out in a rather nasty dermatitis and that is why I won't be buying it again. The foolproof formula covers evenly wherever it's applied so streaks just don't occur. I would use this over st tropez as it has a bit of a darker colour, which lasts around 3-4 days.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2014 5:24:00 AM More reviews by kahliemacorig

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been fake tanning for around 10 years now, and have tried absolutely every fake tan on the market. This is my absolute favourite one.
I have used it in the mousse and the cream, and find that I prefer the mousse only because it is easier to apply with the fake tan mit. Applying the cream with the mit is a bit tricky, BUT I find the lotion more hydrating and the mousse not as hydrating. That being said, the mousse doesn't dry my skin and is the most beautiful colour. I love that it is tinted, and dries quickly and doesn't have a disgusting smell. I usually apply before bed and wash off in the morning. I have fair freckly skin, and this formula flatters me the most. I also apply to my face, and doesn't clog my pores like most other tans do (ok I get that most aren't designed for face).
I just hate that it is so expensive, but I do get around 3 whole body applications from one foam bottle. Use with a mit for the best result!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2013 10:09:00 AM More reviews by Kminsky

As a self confessed fake tan addict, I hate to admit that this is my favourite tan. Every time a new tan comes on the market I scheme my way to own it, but I always come back to my first love. I bought this particular tan in its lotion form, that way it is smoother and more moisturising which I find helps me blend flawlessly, more so than the mousse type. The colour is as natural as it gets, applying with a deep red tone tan and drying to a beautiful, deep, golden tan, leaving you looking like a naturally bronzed goddess (and smelling like fresh laundry) with no hint of orange. The packaging is Ella Baché's signature blue squeeze tube which allows you to control the amount of lotion you wish to use, which is so handy for touch ups! The only downside is that, being a lotion, it takes a while to dry (5-10 minutes) but trust me, the patience wears off. Xx Tan Queen K

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2012 4:40:00 AM More reviews by emalina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This gets one lippy off for the fact that it doesn't last. It is streak free, smells ok, and best of all it is so DARK! this is what I reach for when I need to look tanned that night. I wear it to weddings etc. but its not great for the beach as it seems to wash off a bit.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2012 11:13:00 PM More reviews by regan_89

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have tried nearly every fake tanning product under the sun - St Tropex, Sun Labs, Fake Bake, Summer Tan etc etc. I finally decided to purchase this after getting fed up with all the old tans. At $40 for a small tube this product is quite pricey. However, after one application I have a beautiful bronze tan that is very natural looking with no streaking! I used gloves with this product (of course), and it applied very easily with a nice smell to it. It did get all over my sheets but that will wash out (and all tans do anyway).
I will definitely go back to this tan. The only negative is that it is so expensive and you can't purchase it in a bigger bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2011 11:38:00 AM More reviews by kristy88au

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm one of those people who maintains a fake tan year round. I buy the mousse tan, liquid tan and face tan. As a very pale person, I have used every product out there, but once I came across Ella Bache I knew my search was over. No tan looks like the real thing, but this is as close as you'll get in terms of a natural colour. I apply 3 layers when I tan, and I still don't look orange. It blends easily and darkens quickly. The body formulas are VERY rich, so stay away if you have easily clogged skin. If you get orange palms, toothpaste will lift it right off.

MAJOR CON: The new 'now next to no odour' range does NOT live up to it's name. The formula is no different: they've just added "parfum", and they've used that word loosely, because it smells like air freshener or toilet cleaner or something really really harsh and artificial. I prefer the icky fake tan smell! Try to get your hands on the old product if you can.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2011 6:19:00 AM More reviews by Casper77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great colour, pity about the allergy!
I bought this whilst on holidays a few years ago and loved it. I also bought the moisturising tan to use as a top up as advised by EB staff. I used the tanning lotion and was so impressed with the colour, no orange at all. I used a small amount on my face too. It was all good until I noticed small bumps all over my face the next day but nowhere else, so I figured it probably wasn't suitable for faces. Then after applying the moisturiser to the rest of my body, I noticed a slight rash on my legs soon after but not enough to worry about. I didn't use it again until a few weeks later. Big mistake! I only used one coat on my legs and they rashed up so badly, it looked like I had some terrible welting disease. I have never been allergic to any tanning product before. I rang EB customer service line to find out what ingredients might cause this, but they said no one had ever reported a reaction!
A waste of $90 that was(no refund). A replacement product was offerered out of good faith by head office, but after stuffing me around for several months...nothing came!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2010 11:01:00 AM More reviews by GlowRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ease of Application: good dark brown colour guide so you can work it in a get an even application. you might notice you'll give this funny pigment build-up that won't rub in, don't worry about it, the result won't be streaky.

Quality of Colour: i've tried quite a few gradual tanning lotions - holiday skin, dove, loreal sublime bronze, model co, st tropez and heaps more that I can't think of and i feel like the ella bache gives a proper sunkissed colour not a yellow-orange colour.

Value for Money: mm... it's expensive yeah but I have an continue to buy it again and again so in other words - it is worth the money.

Overall Rating: 5 star ***** it's a lovely self-tan.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2010 3:51:00 AM More reviews by ozmonto23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is actually a review for the great mousse tan. This is an awesome colour and is very simple to apply without experiencing the evil streak, however sometimes it can get a bit runny and you really need to make sure you shake it properly. It is the most natural colour i have ever come across and i have tried many, however at $50/bottle it is rather expensive.
I really do love this and do highly recommend it, but it does sometimes give me the odd spot if used on my neck. This doesn't have the best longevity but on the other side of the coin it shows up immediately, lasts a couple of days and is easier to remove than others.
I would definitely recommend purchasing this. It is not in the least bit orange:)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2009 10:27:00 AM More reviews by StewieGriffin

COLOUR: Beautiful rich brown colour - both dark and natural. I'm in love with the colour! I didn't feel the need to double layer this one - one coat was sufficient in giving me a nice dark colour.

TINT: Chocolate tint. Washes off in the shower (careful - may temporarily stain bed sheets). I initially panicked b/c the tint is quite dark, but it's a really useful colour-guide.

CONSISTENCY: Thick, creamy.

SCENT UPON APPLICATION:Slightly scented, neither fruity or floral (I can't quite tell what it is, just clean).

DAY-AFTER SMELL: Minimal post-fake tan smell. It's much less offensive and lingers throughout the day much less than other brands.

NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS: I got about 4 full body applications out of this tube (excluding the face, in which I used EB's 'great tan without sun for face').

HANDS or GLOVES: I've tried applying this with bare hands and gloves. Use clear kitchen gloves! It won't stain your hands and you'll maximise the number of applications b/c there'll be no absorption into your palms. Change your gloves once during mid-application to avoid dried residue build-up.

EASE OF APPLICATION: I found it hard to apply, somewhat hard to blend well.

RATE OF COLOUR FADE: Relatively good (not as gradual as Clarins). Staying power is slightly above average in my opinion.

PRICE: $AU39 ...Ah - pricey! But worth it.

NOTE: During application, the tan may appear somewhat "flaky/ residue-like" on some areas of the body if you go over areas twice (which have already dried). The tan actually turns out really well, the patchiness is just the tint. *Phew*

*Edit*
I tried 'Le Tan in Le Can Deep Bronze Glow' for comparison. I found Le Tan to be:

Colour: Natural, but the colour veers more towards the yellow as opposed to the brown of EB.

Smell: Same unpleasant day-after smell, which lingers throughout the day (even after a shower). The spray is vanilla scented upon application - which I don't like!

Number of applications: I got about 2 full-body app. from this as opposed to 4 from EB. As a spray, so much of the product gets wasted.

Price: $16.18

Verdict: Ella Bache!

If you consider tanning once a week (you'd need to buy 1 EB or 2 LT a month), thus it seems more cost-effective to purchase the EB. EB will end up costing AU$6.64 more. However, I like EB better and for such a such a small difference, why not pay more? I just really can't stand post-fake tan smell, which I'm assured EB won't do as much.

Tanning tips to prolong your tan:
Moisturise!
Try to avoid hot showers.