October 25, 2014 | 1709 users online

Hair Color - Amphigory - Special Effects in Deep Purple

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2013 11:01:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I loved the color this gave me. Yet I tried just about everything under the sun to get it to not bleed out. It'd bleed onto EVERYTHING when wet or dry. I don't know if I used too much or what I did. I'm just so sad that I couldn't get it to work for me.
I'm still on the lookout for a purple that doesn't bleed :(

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2012 12:58:00 AM More reviews by AudillaJones

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried Manic Panic and Adore hair dye. Adore has a more liquidy substance to it. Special effects is like Manic Panic, but it's a little bit thicker. It is soooooo well pigmented and it lasts for a long time. Well actually if your in California and you wash your hair everyday, it wont last that long, but it last much longer than the others. I love it the first time I did stain my tub :/ but a little...scratch that a lot of hair spray always gets rid of it. It runs a lot, so be careful. I recommend using a towel on your pillow if you use this shade, when I used atomic red it did not get on my pillow so I was okay. (hehe currently I'm not using a towel bc my pillow cover is blue LOL) It's such a pretty shade you can put it lightly and get a nice dark purple or you can saturate your hair in that stuff and get a purple that's so dark it's almost black, but in the sun it's a nice purple hue. I love it :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by klpezl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this color soooo much! I bleach my hair and leave this in for half an hour. It turns out an amazing deep purple, and I get compliments on it every time I go out. I even had a guy say that my hair was "the perfect shade of purple" Out of all of the colors I've died my hair, this is my favorite by far, I've been using it for months.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2010 12:56:00 PM More reviews by colleen_co

I use either Special Effects or Jerome Russell Punk Color on my hair. As far as purple shades go I think Special Effects wins that category hands down. This Deep Purple color goes on as a deep dark purple but after a few washes shows up like a true vibrant dark purple. As it fades, it stays purple but fades to more of a dark lavender. The less you wash the longer it stays bright. I like mixing this color up with a dark blue and/or a dark bright pink. I think it is my fave SE purple, although Pimpin Purple is pretty, too.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2010 6:12:00 PM More reviews by f33xc0re

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am giving this product a 5 because I absolutely LOVE what it did to my hair (let's just not mention the bathtub or my body!). The color is GORGEOUS..... A deep non-reddish purple (a lot of purple dyes are on the red side). Special Effects is widely known for its vibrant long lasting colors, and so far the reviews have been proven 100% right, it's like no other! I've been looking for a purple hair dye that will actually dye my dark brown hair, and last more than a wash or two... Well have I found it, and I'll never switch! The color faded gradually over a period of a few weeks. It became a lovely lighter purple before the brown came through. I also noticed that while I was dying my hair, there is a green iridescent shimmer to the dye (don't worry, just the dye) when it is dry. NOW, as far as "side effects" of using the dye- ONLY from rinsing my hair out in shower, my whole back, face, hands, and oddly enough, finger and toe nails were dyed purple.... And even though I scrubbed a lot of it off (and nail polish remover did the trick on my nails), the next few washings just restained my skin! This was no matter of vaseline or not! ALSO there were a couple drops on the wall which stained, and my bathtub and shower curtain were dyed light purple. With bleach I managed to get it off the bathtub but WOW this dye is potent. It also made my back break out with acne, and I got eczema on my neck (but I'm prone to both).

HOWEVER, overall, it was very much worth it and next time I will take appropriate cautions!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2010 12:25:00 PM More reviews by jones

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

I finally convinced my mom to let me dye my hair purple, it was exciting! After doing a lot of hair research (which I always do) I chose the SFX brand, since it seems to have great colors and great reviews. I pre-bleached my hair and this stained EVERYTHING. My shower is totally soaked in purple! If you care about your bathroom at ALL don't use this product! This is the runniest dye ever! The color did turn out amazing though, but i wont be using this again, super disappointing :(

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2009 12:34:00 AM More reviews by thepuckjdw

This is THE purple. I bleach my hair for dye, but when I want to give my hair a break, this covers my dark brown roots for weeks on end. It's a Gorgeous DARK almost black purple that just lights up in sunlight! I lovelovelove it. It will stain everything in the world for a few days, depending on your shampoo- I find that gentle non-sls shampoos work best, where solid shampoos ala LUSH will pull the color right out.

I buy on eBay, and can usually find SE for $8-9 a bottle, about what I pay for Punky Color at Ulta.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2008 4:43:00 PM More reviews by rubie

Along Devilish (former Ruby Red) this is my very first try of Special Effects hairdye. I mixed Deep Purple & Devilish 50/50 and applied on my unbleached very dark brown hair as I didn't want anything too dramatic this time. With a ton of coarse, mid-length hair, I usually sleep in with the dye on the hair, let it process whole night. My hair turned into gorgeous color--looks almost jet black but with bluish purple tint/glow! The purple really comes out under the sunlight. The dye also successfully covered my 15+ grays. Previously I have used some of the Manic Panic (e.g., Purple Haze, Vampire Red) and I feel that Special Effects dyes are more intense and have more depth in color, and I hope that it would last on my hair longer as many other reviewers claim. One drawback is that it took FOREVER for me to wash off the dye--and very hard scrubbing of bathtub with bleach--, even longer than the Manic Panic. But it's the same for any semi-permanent dyes across the board, so it's a minor sacrifice for having a gorgeous, non-mainstream hair color AND for healthy hair without harm caused by PPD, ammonia, etc. contained in permanent dyes. Next time I would add some streaks with bleaching strands of hair--putting Devilish only.
***Addendum*** It has been more than two weeks since I dyed my hair and the color is still going very strong! though I shampoo every other day. Now I see more red especially under the sunlight--turning into warm toned purple. Color seems to become more vibrant as it fades. Wonderful.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2007 11:42:00 AM More reviews by jto5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i apply this dye my half bleached hair, its amazing color and long-lasting. i washed my hair 5th times in 3 weeks color looks still beautiful. but it stains my everything, my shirts, ears, pillow, my fingers.. everything is looking purple with my hair! i can't stop the stain, i haven't any idea when this problem finish:(

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2006 7:33:00 PM More reviews by PixieGlitz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not very experienced when it comes to hair dyes, but earlier this summer my best friend's mom wanted to get me a grad present, and my friend had always known I'd wanted purple hair, but was too lazy to go through with it myself, so her mom took me to her hair salon, spent a whopping $350 to get someone to bleach my dark brown hair and dye it purple.. it faded within 2 weeks.. to an awful gray colour, this being some high quality dye mixed by the hairdresser herself.. so I pick up some Special Effects in Deep Purple... for $12, and it is the most vibrant, beautiful hue of purple you can imagine. And it LASTS.. I've never gotten so many compliments on my hair as when using this dye.. and add a squirt or two to your conditioner and use that once a week for continuing vibrance.. I'm really digging the purple right now, but if I ever want to give any other colors a shot, I'll be sure to try Special Effects first..