April 17, 2014 | 1032 users online

Self Tanners - Banana Boat - Sunless Tanning Creme - Deep Dark

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2014 3:33:00 AM More reviews by BeautyisSubjective

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This review is for Banana Boat Summer Color Self Tanning lotion in Deep Dark. I utilized the entire bottle before writing this review.

Pros: Scent of the lotion is minimal and very tolerable.
The color guide is light and not too dark.
Cost of product is fair and budget friendly.
Color is tolerable, although it is still too yellow/orange.

Cons: I gave this self tanner 4 stars because NO sunless tanner on the market is perfect and can replicate a natural looking tan. My skin still looked yellow/orange even when I applied this lotion mixed with my moisturizer to give my skin a more gradual tan effect.
This lotion was a bit too greasy, which is probably due to the petrolatum in the product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2014 4:07:00 AM More reviews by maddyyquinnn

I have tried everything. I have tried spray tan machines, and custom spray tans. However they all work, but after 3-4 days my whole body is scaly and you can tell my spray tan is coming off. I have gone back to this product multiple different times. I have very very pale skin. Tanning just isn't a option for me because my skin color does not change. The people who have given this bad reviews have not practiced applying it. The first few times you apply this, you will probably notice spots you miss, and find streaks down the back of your legs. Once you practice you eventually learn little tricks. The biggest trick for me, is not to apply a lot. We all want to wake up tan, but if you have that in mind when applying this, you will end up orange and streaky!! Apply small amounts and run in VERY good. Keep rubbing until you don't feel like you have anything else to rub in, and then rub some more!
After two applications you will have a noticeable healthy tan :)
For my face, I mix with regular face lotion and apply all the way down my check onto my arms!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2014 More reviews by hmhanke89

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the ST I keep coming back to! I'm very pale so my favorite way to apply is by mixing it into my regular nightly post-shower moisturizer, about 50/50 of each. It's not an overnight deep dark tan but it's also less mistake-prone this way. Also way less maintenance and time-consuming: exfoliation, gloves, etc, no thank you! After about 5 days I've got a good natural looking color going on, then I just reapply every 2-3 days to maintain. Smell isn't noticeable the next morning.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2014 5:01:00 PM More reviews by snowwgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I keep coming back to this winner. Even now, in the winter so I don't look so garish in the gym lights or ski resort hot tub. Absolutely the best looking tan that fades naturally without scaling. Once a week is all I need. Use latex gloves and you never tan your palms.2 people asked me this last week if I'd "been south" Nope but I don't mind looking like I have.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2013 2:41:00 AM More reviews by yeseniaali

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok, I am of Hispanic decent but was not blessed with that beautiful olive skin tone the rest of my family has. I've tried just about every tanner out there ranging from cheap to expensive and this is is hands down the best out there and for the price its even better. I was blessed with getting the chance to live in Hawaii for a couple of years and while iving there I was a tanned goddess. Unfourtunatley once I moved back to the mainland that tan was gone. This stuff gives me that Hawaiian tan I so fonldy remember.

My tips: shave and exfoliate, I use the st ives apricot scrup to exfoliate with in the shower. make sure you give extra tlc to ankles, knees, elbows. I also wear laytex gloves that I got from sally's for 50 cents a pair, the kind you use to dye your hair with. I start at my calves then move down to my feet and ankles. Then I move up to my upper thighs. Then I move on to my back then chest, stomach, then neck and then face. I do my arms and hands last. You can not mess up with this stuff, no streaking no ugly patchy skin. You can see the tan right away and I'm not sure why people complain about the smell, It smells like regular lotion,kind of powdery. Love it.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/19/2013 12:36:00 PM More reviews by graceeunhyeso

I love being tan in the summer and I have pretty fair skin far from tan.
I wanted a tan ASAP because I just waned it real bad quickly!
Ive used self tanners befor but found nothing that I liked so I decided to try other self tanners.
I saw that this banana boat self tanner had good reviews so I decided to try it. I exfoliated my skin, and put this self tanner on all over. I liked that it was tinted and the smell was actually okay at first. I woke up the next morning and the tan looked nice in the dark. So I thought it was ok and I wore shorts outside and BAAAAAM. oompa loompa.
I looked soooooooooooo orange in natural lighting. I was soo embarrassed I went home and changed to longer pants and long sleeves.
I was very disappointed because it didnt work for me.

But my husband's skin tone is fairly tan(not too tan not too pale, but still tan?). He wanted to even out his skin tone because he had weird tan spots. So I put it on him, and he did not look orange at all! He got a natural looking color from it!

So I wouldnt recommend this to fair skinned people, but would reccommend for a litte tanner skin tones who want a bit more of a tanned glow.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2013 7:10:00 PM More reviews by PianoGirl1985

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. I love the quality of this self-tanner. It still has a slight smell, but not as gross as the old fashioned Jergens. It does not streak at all and is moisturizing. The color does appear the next morning (I use it before bed).
HOWEVER, it contains 5 different parabens!! If you are not concerned about this then go ahead and give this lotion a try because it DOES work fabulously. I am a bit of a health freak and decided not to purchase it again ONLY due to the amount of parabens this product contains.
If the company is reading this: PLEASE get rid of the parabens for crying out loud! Make this product healthier for consumers.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2013 11:23:00 PM More reviews by DanseMacabre11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm pretty fair skinned with freckles, so, as you can imagine, tanning isn't something that comes easy to me. Trying to avoid the whole skin cancer route has lead me to sunless tanners.
Because I'm so pale, the first application looked slightly awkward on me. It wasn't necessarily orange, but almost yellowy brown? Not really dark, just odd. However, after another application which made me a little darker, I think I look like I just have a natural tan, which is wonderful.
Make sure to exfoliate your whole body before using. Rub in really well, and avoid excessive application to areas such as the knees and elbows. It does stain your hands easily, but if I wash my hands immediately after using the product I'm fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 8:31:00 AM More reviews by Jenny1175

Great product for the money. Color came out very natural, deep tan, no streaking or orange. Smell was nice. And contrary to others experiences, mine lasted a week so far and no spotty fading whatsoever! Also Loreal sublime really dried out my skin and my skin still feels soft after using this one. Definately exfoliate before applying (as with all self tanners). Also the trick maybe that kept it to last and soft skin, after i applied and showered off, i applied moisturizing body lotion all over. (Only had to do this once though). This is definately my go-to self tanner now. Love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2012 2:34:00 AM More reviews by katiehunt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Awesome self tanner, probably the best I've ever used & its cheap. only down fall is its not available in Canada. =(