December 19, 2014 | 1671 users online

Top/Base Coats - Orly - Nail Armor

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 4:45:00 PM More reviews by eko99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was looking for a ridge filler. My biggest problem with those was that they never EVER dried. I've got pretty lumpy nails and in order for those to be smoothed out, it takes quite a lot of product, which then pools up and makes for little smudge pockets. They also seem to mess with the color, most of them are either white or pink, and/or application of polish. Never found one I could stand. I picked this up at Sally's for strengthening and because I liked the neutral beige color of it. Turns out that this is super quick drying and seems to level out my nails, even with just a couple thin coats. Polish application over the top is really clean and for my sheerer nudes, I can go with one coat and that's enough. I'm really happy with this.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/13/2013 9:07:00 PM More reviews by POPOK1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product chips like crazy from the first day of wear and doesn't really do much towards strengthening your nails. I wouldn't get this again even if someone were handing it out for free.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2012 5:48:00 AM More reviews by SilentPerfection

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Fair warning I am basing part of this review on past experiance so I may be back to update.

I initially got this on a dollar bin sale at a now closed local beauty supply/salon. That was many years ago and I dont know if it was before orly went big 3 free. My experiance then was great when I used it. I was going through a french tip phase (I do the acetone/paintbrush method) so I didnt use it very often. But when I did do full nail polish it held well and I had less breakage issues (I was working with children and horses at the time so that says something).

I got out of the habit of doing my nails for quite a while and it kind of went to the back of my mind. Now that im back in the habit i decided to give this another go given how much I remembered liking it. Only had it for 4 days but thus far its helping my manicure last longer and my tips dont soften as much when exposed to water. As for anything else its watch and wait.

One huge plus to orly for me is that well shaped rubberized cap. Makes doing my nails much easier with my bad joints, ive never dropped an orly cap yet!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2012 3:22:00 PM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

L'oreal used to make a fantastic base coat called Mega Hard, I believe. I loved it, and of course they discontinued it. I managed to hoard half a dozen bottles but they're all gone. This is the closest thing I could find to replace it. Of course, it's not as good, but it's pretty close. It dries fast and protects my nails. I also love the easy-to-open grippy top. Good product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2012 5:44:00 PM More reviews by IslandGirlSPN

Using two coats of this as per instruction works fine if I just want to wear something to protect my nails hence the name BUT I find that I cannot wear this with nail polish for very long. I never really had a problem with my polish chipping heavily the very next day until I used this as a base coat. I would usually use my cheaper Sinful basecoat ($4) and it does its job much better than this($7 @ Sallys). For simple nail protection I would get this again but with the amount of polishes I own I really should stick to wearing a new color often. (Plus I want to!) I honestly am not sure if I would buy this again. Maybe.... if its on sale. Then id give it to someone who just wants nail protection. haha. OH also I feel that the silky threads that are visible are more of a stab at a physical type of protection than chemical (even though this base coat smells a bit on the strong side) but because the bits are so small I really dont think it makes a real difference. I have a gut feeling this may be more of a gimmicky type nail treatment because Im just not convinced of the power of those miniscule silk threads.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2012 9:42:00 PM More reviews by bhe

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Really worked well with 2 coats to fill in the ridges. Nice whitish color made my nails look cleaner, too.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2012 3:40:00 PM More reviews by Anya1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have an old bottle of this (probably from b4 all companies were going b3f)
I have been using this on top of 1 coat of nail magic (original) & orly bonder (also old b4 b3f). My nails have felt very strong. I have a couple patches on but that was b4 I started using this again. I have kept my nails shorter just because with weekly filing they grow so much quicker and since I have patches on I want them to grow out quickly. I recently took off a patch that had grown out and the nail under it was strong, not weak like sometimes happens after you take off a silk wrap, nail glue and glue resin.
I have been doing at least 3 coats of color on top of my base coats and then a coat of seche vite my polish has been lasting at least 6 days without chips.
I should look at the ingredients on the label to see if this is the old formula but i would def buy again. I hope the newer version is as good as the one I am using.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2011 7:08:00 PM More reviews by sll74

my nails aren't really weak but i'm hard on them and i have been wearing colored polish and don't want stains so i like a nice basecoat. i like this one a lot. it feels like it's strengthening and i can see little fibers but my nail is smooth to the touch. also, the color isn't so white that it makes me have to use more polish to see the color boldly. i like this more than the other ridge filler base coat by orly and even some other brands i've tried. it's sort of light tan in the bottle but it looks almost clear, but not glossy on my nails. i'll stick with this for awhile and don't feel the need to look for something else.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2011 6:55:00 PM More reviews by JordanGalore

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Nail Armor is a great nail strengthening and ridgefilling basecoat. I apply two coats before my nail color and it keeps my nails hard and stops them from peeling or splitting. I noticed tiny fibers which I believe are great and the reason why my nails are so strong when wearing this. I recently removed my acrylics so Im definitely enjoying this product to help strengthen my weak nails. I will be repurchasing.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/30/2011 10:01:00 PM More reviews by RaiinbowEyes

Dries quick so you can put on the two recommended coats quickly, but I find that it's hard for polish to "grab" my nail afterward. Even with polish I use that is usually full color first coat, this makes it difficult to apply evenly and make the color tend to just "smooth away" from spots- mostly near the base of my nails. Even after 2-3 coats of color and a top coat those spots will show through and it does NOT look good!

On top of that it doesn't seem to do anything for my nail health. I plan on giving this to someone else because I'm not going to use it anymore.