August 1, 2014 | 1828 users online

Fragrances - Yves Saint Laurent - Cinema

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2014 8:16:00 AM More reviews by kristamb

It took a while for this to grow on me. It wasn't at all what I expected after reading the fragrance description or the reviews. I don't get any real hints of vanilla from this scent. However, it is a nice, soft, comforting perfume. It is more of a wintery perfume for me. It reminds me a being warm and cozy under a blanket on a cold wintery day!! It is powdery and a little spicy to me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2014 10:48:00 AM More reviews by delectante

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Cinema eau de parfum is a lighthearted citrus vanilla-almond perfume. Clean, clear, translucent, and very slightly bitter from the yellow florals, but in the end, the amber benzoin base notes dominate with the almond blossom, leaving the wearer cocooned in a warm, sweet cloud. It feels like you are softly drenched in a feathery golden mist. It is surprisingly versatile and long-lasting, though after the first five minutes, I can not smell it on anymore. However, I know it is there because people are a little more friendly whenever I have it on—even hours after my initial application. Cinema is very well layered atop VS Amber Romance, which slants the perfume more toward a rich ambery gourmand oriental. As an aside, the faceted glass bottle looks like a skyscraper, so it was a great fragrance for my NYC internship last summer. Notes: clementine, almond blossom, amaryllis, cyclamen, jasmine, peony, white musk, amber, vanilla, benzoin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2013 8:08:00 PM More reviews by sillage

Love it!! Cinema is a soft natural golden warm skin-scent that blends so nicely with natural scent -- becomes one with skin. Liquid golden warmth. Not too light, not too heavy -- I'd call it about medium on the oomph scale. More on the light side than heavy -- it does have some freshness.

Contains vanilla & amber, plus some almond, and light florals. Delicious. Soft, mild, smooth, & sensuous - yet tenacious - it lasts very well. Not sharp, not powdery.

Here are notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes: Clementine, Almond, Cyclamen
Heart Notes: Amaryllis, Jasmine sambac
Base Notes: Amber, Vanilla, White musk

I'd put YSL Cinema in the same general category as Armani Sensi, Lancome Poeme, Allure EDT, D&G The One -- in other words, a golden warm vanilla-based floral. So nice!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2013 11:09:00 PM More reviews by SUPAtime

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

If you are expecting something thrilling or theatrical-- cinematic in a word, you will be disappointed. Cinema is a mild blend of mimosa on a vanilla amber base with a touch of spice. Cozy, quiet, and easy to wear, this fragrance seems more suited to every day life than glamorous movie premieres.

Cinema opens with a burst of manderin orange with a slightly aldehydic tone and quickly settles into a mimosa dominated heart which is fresh, sweet and bolstered by a beautiful jasmine tea accord. The base is a transparent oriental: vanilla and sheer amber with a touch of laundry musk and a hint of spice. Overall the effect is charmingly sweet without being jejune or cloying. An interesting aspect of this fragrance is its freshness and radiance: there is something expansive about it that prevents Cinema from being dense, heavy or syrupy. If you're looking for a golden vanillic floral with some freshness that's easy to wear, do try it.

NB: Jacques Cavallier who created Cinema also did Boucheron's Trouble which is a murkier, heavier, and more jasmine oriented take on the floral/vanilla/sheer amber theme. I find Cinema to be the better of the two but I enjoy them both. If you like one, sample the other and see what you think.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2013 11:51:00 AM More reviews by Rosahelen

I absolutely love this perfume, it is my all time favourite. I first discovered this perfume when I went to Dubai for my 18th Birthday; every time I met up with my cousins I kept smelling this beautiful smell until eventually I asked for the name. I told my cousin that I loved it so much and needed to purchase one ASAP. So as a leaving gift she got it for me I literally screamed with joy when I opened it.
To describe this smell i would say it is slightly musky (but in a nice way) with hints of vanilla it is the perfect medium between musky and citrus. I was initially worried that the scent would not last long but it really does I spray a little on my neck and my clothing and I can always smell it the next day on my jacket and it smells just as good as it does when you first spray it.
I find that the smell develops as the day goes on.
I have been complimented many times when I am wearing this perfume and when I am asked what it is half of me feels selfish and doesn't want to share it with others but the other half of me gets excited to tell other women about it.
As for the packaging where do I start it is so classy and beautiful, I love the simplicity of the bottle and the box it comes in.
however if you are a fan of fruity scents this perfume is not for you yet I don't see the harm in smelling it when you are next at a perfume counter.

I would 100% recommend this perfume and I am sure I will be repurchasing it throughout my life.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2013 5:19:00 PM More reviews by DesPi1997

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well to be honest I don't like the top notes very much but the base notes are simply to die for!If you like sweet scents like Candy for example then you are going to just love Cinema's base notes!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2013 11:29:00 PM More reviews by CoRRi

My first sniff of this perfume was at a duty free store at the airport; it was recommended to me because of my weakness for sweet almond scents. However, I was turned off by the orange in the upper registers of the formula.

Years later, I decided to give Cinema another try. This time, I would let my sample linger on my skin until dry down. I am glad I did because it was only then when my nose discerned the sweet, vanilla warmth that emerges in the middle notes. The citrus remains but not in an astringent way; it merges with the rest of the pastisserie notes.. I still do not pick up on the almonds but the rest of the composition is so delicious , it does not matter.

A gourmand perfume for the fall and winter in my opinion although I can't help but reach for it during the summer months anyway.

Lastly, as another reviewer had pointed out, this perfume just blends really well with my natural scent: wraps around my body, stays close and soft, unobtrusive but still detectable.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by GypsyM

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have repurchased this perfume several times. It's a very sexy fragrance and lasts quite a while. I've been wearing it for years and still get complimented.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2013 9:36:00 AM More reviews by stls

Cinema was under my radar for a long time as I was hunting only ''stand-out'' perfumes. But then again comes a time when you can appreciate simplicity and want a soft, cozy mist around you that won't go through many stages towards the drydown.
And Cinema is a darn good one. Not a femme fatale, but certainly has a distinct warm and inviting presence. You get a harmonious mix of fresh clementine, delicate almond blossom on a gentle vanilla /benzoin/ amber base. Stays close to the skin but lasts for a few hours. It's not too sweet or too warm due to the gentle sweetness and the citrusy opening, so it can be worn all year round IMO.
I prefer heavier orientals for winter and most summery fruity florals are not my thing, so Cinema is the perfect compromise between the oriental cozy feel and the citrusy freshness I was looking for alluring summer nights.
Also the bottle is utterly glamorous. Recommended.

Edit: Using the term ''Old lady like'' is frankly a tacky way to describe a perfume and it's not only about taste - it really shows lack of knowledge about perfumery IMHO.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/28/2012 1:50:00 PM More reviews by annetteme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I got this for my birthday in october and i hate it! it smells very much boring and too citrus-like to me, nothing special. the packaging as well.. really boring. i would not by on my own again and hope i get through the bottle somehow.