Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum

4.4

Not tested on animals

Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclotetrasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Fragrance, Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Limonene, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben.

on 4/27/2015 7:06:00 PM

I've been using this for years and I can't imagine not having it. I've tried other serums (I tried to hop on the argan oil bandwagon a while back but that was too heavy for my hair) but I always come back to this. It has a pleasant smell and depending on how thick your hair is you can use quite a bit of it without your hair feeling greasy. I kind of adjust how much I use based on how rough/damaged my hair feels- usually a single pump is good though. I routinely get highlights, and this helps my hair to not feel fried the day after I get them, which is nice! I think this works really well to help detangle hair after a shower.

on 2/10/2015 9:22:00 PM

I have tried so many serums and smoothing products over the years, and I keep going back to this.

It does what it claims and more.
Smooths the hair, keeps the hair sleek, soft, manageable.

Use the pump to pump a drop or two in the palm of your hands, rub your palms together really well, and smooth your hands through your hair. Then use a large-tooth comb (this was very necessary when my hair was really long, due to tangles, this smoothed them out real fast with a large-tooth comb). Then I use a brush to distribute this further and evenly throughout the hair. A little really does go a long way with this.

I am always careful to avoid getting this near my scalp, as my hair tends to get oily fast. I apply this mid-shaft, working it down to the ends.

Has a pleasant smell, not overpowering.
Does it's job and does it well!

Have re-purchased this more times than I care to remember.

on 1/30/2015 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

So I just bought a new bottle of this stuff after not using it for like a year or something, and not so surprised, they changed the formula/ingredients up, which appear like this on the bottle now:
Cyclotetrasiloxane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclotrisiloxane, Isopropylparaben, Butyparaben, Isobutylparaben, Parfum (Fragrance), Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Geraniol, Amyl Cinnamal, Citronellol.

NOTE: They moved all those parabens from last place to like.. fourth place, and they took out dimethicone entirely, which some people might not like, but really dimethicone is one of the reasons people like me were using this sort of stuff.
Cyclomethicones are the only type of silicones used in this now which, apparently, just makes wet hair more slick, then it dissolves in to the air once your hair dries, leaving no silkiness like dimethicone. Parabens are not good either. Don't know why they got moved up so high on the list.

I didn't actually try the stuff this time around, so I can't really give my opinion on how it affected my hair, but after reading about the differences between cyclomethicones, and dimethicones, I decided to return it, and got Chi Silk Infusion instead because the silk infusion formula still contains dimethicone as well as cyclomethicone.

on 1/24/2015 11:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I had used this years ago when it was first released and loved it. I recently had my hair cut and picked this up again. I find this does help reduce the amount of time it takes to dry my hair, always a plus. Both times I have purchased this is when I have a bob and it really helps the cut keep that smooth defined shape, after all no one wants the dreaded shaggy bob circa 1994. This currently runs about $20USD which may seem a bit steep, but there is a lot of product and it only takes a tiny amount to do the trick. Most hair serums are considerably more expensive.

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Amazing serum, it works fantastically on my fine hair. :) I also love the smell.

on 9/24/2014 9:13:00 PM

I love how soft this makes my hair. It allows me to skip conditioner for a day or two. Since I have rather fine hair and too much silicone can really weigh it down, I use the tiniest drop and it works fine! I doubt I will ever run out of this stuff.

on 9/15/2014 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I absolutely love this stuff. My HG hair oil. It is moisturizing and smoothing but helps cut my drying time in half. The smell is kinda fruity and pleasant (at the very least it is tolerable). I use this every time I wash my hair. Sometimes I don't blow dry my hair and this stuff seems to cut down drying time when I just let it air dry. I use it on dry hair and it really tames down my frizzes. My daughters use it in their hair too after a wash. Keeps their hair smooth and cuts down drying time for them too. Love this stuff.

on 9/1/2014 3:44:00 AM

This is a great silicone-based leave-in serum. There are many products like this on the market, but they are not all created equal. PM's Skinny Serum leaves my hair soft, smooth, manageable without any stickiness or weighing it down. Provides heat protection as well. This is a reliable product that I have repurchased many times and will continue to do so. My two favorite serums would be this one and CHI's Silk Infusion.
For reference, I have hair that is thick, dry, wavy-textured, color-treated and I heat-style it regularly. So it's important that I take care of it with the right products. I always use some type of leave-in on my damp hair before blow-drying and this one is a winner. Recommended!

on 8/29/2014 3:58:00 PM

I don't dislike...but very average. I will use this until it's gone because its not a bad product, however I don't know if I would repurchase. It smells amazing, seriously, sometimes I wish all my products smell like this. And it does make flat ironing a bit easier, but no easier than anything else really. I need to use more than a few pumps in my hair (I have very thick, very coarse hair) and it doesn't do enough to justify the price tag. Like I said, not a bad product, just nothing really special.

on 8/21/2014 2:06:00 AM

I love this product. Every time I come out of the shower, I have to put this on or I can feel the dryness of my hair. It smells great & it works great for my long straight hair. & yes, a little goes a long way which is awesome because it means you don't run out quickly. Have bought this product over & over.

Top Rated Paul Mitchell Products