December 21, 2014 | 997 users online

Fragrances - Bulgari - Black

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2014 10:35:00 PM More reviews by annewstine

I love this perfume. I also love leather notes, the unusual, and unisex fragrances. I only got the famous rubber/lapsang souchong smell the first time I applied. Since then I've noticed more jasmine, smoke, and sandalwood over an addictive sweet and musky base. In EdT it is unobtrusive enough that I feel comfortable giving myself a couple sprays before work.

There are rumors that this perfume is being discontinued, and I do notice that it is mainly sold by fragrance discounters. Say it ain't so! Sadly, I cannot find EdP, only EdT.

This fragrance is a modern classic, and one of my favorites.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/23/2014 10:09:00 PM More reviews by Aimbl

Apologies, I am one of the few lone dissenters here. Two stars, meritorious, but I visit infrequently because of a plastic note. I do think more highly of BB after having sampled the much more expensive, critically acclaimed By Killian Rose Oud. RO releases so much MORE car artificial scent (plus a disturbing juicy fruit gum sweetness that thankfully, BB does not have), that I felt honor bound to give RO one star in comparison to BB. (The fragrances are otherwise NOT similar, and the end result post dry down is very different). I also get the artificial note in Rochas tocade (artificial plastic vanilla rose) but with respect to Tocade, I wonder if I have always absentmindedly given it a passing score because it falls under the "but it's vintage and so artificial it's almost ironic" category that really doesn't exist for any other fragrance.

If you like Amouage Lyric woman, or Tauer's incense rose, this is a bargain that you should try. In BB, I do get the rubber and the vanilla and some sense of amber woody gourmand. Pre RO experience, I thought those facets of BB just evoked a generic, somewhat plastic amber rose vanilla scent and a sense of new car. I still don't don't get much incense, or a crack of a whip, or smokey lapsang tea, but now I see some of that struggling to get out from under the weight of vanilla amber sweetness. I am not fond of sweet gourmand scents, and perhaps I am tired of modern niches focus on honeyed fruit oriental.

I think the bottle is adorable and because the other reviews are making me think that perhaps in different weather this will work out. However, I also struck out with Bulgari au The Vert (which also seems to be well reviewed), and I loved the bottle design of that one too. So, maybe, I just love the Bulgari bottle designer's aesthetic and not the fragrances. At least, they are extremely reasonably priced on line.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/16/2014 3:06:00 AM More reviews by Milisenta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Other

just got a sample yesterday after being curious about it for months... i love kinky perfumes and, therefore, expected to like it. well, i do, although it IS quite bizzare! i don't smell tea in it-mostly rubber and leather mixed with some femininity:) it is as if you are wearing a liquid tire or expensive leather bag on you:) i know, sounds crazy but for some odd reason it is nice and can be pulled off by a woman although it sounds so masculine. i am still unsure of whether i would go for a full bottle; however, it is a nice thing to have in your collection when you feel different. the thing i dislike most about it, though, is a very poor staying power. other than that, i am not disappointed

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2014 4:34:00 PM More reviews by fionarocks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

For days I don't feel like behaving well, I go for this: the vanilla gets mean with the rubber and tea notes in the best possible way. It smells like a bonfire of Barbies.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2013 10:09:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Bulargi Black is a unique smokey oriental. There is a wonderful rubbery smell paired with a creamy vanilla accord, as though someone smashed an expensive vial of perfume inside a bike shop. At once comforting and kinky. Love.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2013 6:53:00 AM More reviews by berlianips

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I like this smell of bulgari black, and my husband love it too. wanna buy again

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2013 9:49:00 PM More reviews by aquadinka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I went to Sephora looking for something new and once I told the SA about my love for Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille he took me right over to the men's section to try this beauty. I had read the Luca Turin's fantastic review of this in Perfume: The Guide, but this was my first encounter. LOVE. It is just like countless reviews have said, rubbery, leathery, vanilly heaven. I didn't buy a bottle because this is not a hot humid summer type of perfume but I will absolutely be buying one for the fall. I've been using my sample on cold rainy nights and it just drips sex appeal even though it is just like sitting in a car with leather seats and a vanilla pine tree air freshener. I would love to smell this on a man, but smelling this on myself makes me feel pretty darn hot too. Definitely not for the weak willed.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2013 3:58:00 PM More reviews by aniliini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have a miniatyre bottle of Black and it's... strange. It has this funny rubbery, oily feeling like freshly laid asphalt but deep down it's also warm and soft and very much vanilla. I don't like vanilla in perfumes so I seldom use it, but if vanilla is your thing then this has the kinky vibe to take one step from girl next door to sinful.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2013 2:52:00 PM More reviews by gmstrack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is naughtiness in a bottle. The vanilla is sweet and bossy at first and then dries down to a slightly powdery “skin, but better” routine. The leather cracks the whip early on, but calms down after rubber shows up. And then, there is something else. At first, it is difficult to place, but suddenly the answer appears…oh no they didn’t. Animalic. Salty. Metallic? Maybe buckles and chains? Is someone smoking in the corner?
During my next trip to New Orleans, I plan on drenching myself in this stuff. Well, maybe more than four sprays.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 4:33:00 PM More reviews by amv10

Colosal !!! Black is just as much the masterpiece that I expected (hoped) it to be after all the reviews I read on it since years. What a surprise where on the bottom of a shelf in Munich airport my eyes suddenly set on....Black! After all the time I was looking for this perfume, not being able to find it where I live or around (for some reasons, I noticed that you can have in all the fragrance shops the entire Bulgari fragrance collection - except Black!). I love leather and smokey fragrances so the opening of Black is everything you can hope for on the smokey side. A deep leap in a teapot of a Lapsang Souchong and I can clearly see the references to the note of "burnt tires" but it is more smoked tea than tyres, without the chemical fumes. Then what surprised me even more it was how it settled, from that smokey, dry, dark grey, pretty masculine opening, into a radiating warm, amber (with a bit of vetiver maybe) note that lasts until its end, but where you still recognize in the background, very shy and diffused this time, the initial smoky note. If you think about it, you have two of the most opposite notes, blended together like by magic. If it were an image, to me it evokes a flash of black-grey, smokey cloud, through which when it clears out, you see glowing embers. But let's be clear, if you're not attracted by atypical, definitely not "nice and pretty" or polite fragrances, you should pass your way because either you will be disappointed or you will try to place this perfume in a category where it is not meant to be.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No