April 23, 2014 | 2103 users online

Cleansers - Queen Helene - Queen Helene Whipped Cleansing Cream

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2013 1:31:00 AM More reviews by RaeScott

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hi everyone! I JUST got this yesterday and I remember my gran using cold creams as a kid so was a tiny bit familiar with the process. I DID change it a bit though. I take a washcloth and soak it in HOT water and run that over my face first, Then I take a SMALL (MAYBE quarter sized amount) of this and rub it between wet fingers and rub all over my face and neck, Neck I take a washcloth soaked in hot/warm water and make three swipes from hairline down, I rinse between swipes. I then take and use the washcloth again (after being very well rung out) and wipe my face and neck all down and make sure I get all visible traces off. I have oily/combo skin and there is a VERY fine film that is left behind but it quickly absorbes in and isnt an issue.

So far so good except I have a few breakouts showing BUT with any new skin care regime it will happen. It takes anywhere from 30-60 days for your skin to adjust to a cleansing regime change and to settle down. I will check back in then and let you know how it goes.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/19/2013 4:29:00 PM More reviews by Marchoiness88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Normally, I love Queen Helene's products. But this s***. That's all I want to say about it, but it won't be helping anyone. The packaging is similar to their hair products. Plastic jar with a plastic lid, nothing fancy but it gets the job done. The consistency of the product is very solid, more solid than Ponds Cold Cream. Once you get it in your hands, it's wayyyyyyy more oily than most Cleansing Creams I've tired. So I did the usual, tried to take my makeup off...no bueno. My blush came off, but that's about it. Please make sure you follow the directions and take off the product with a warm towel because your face will look like sooooo shiny. So after a night using this product, I woke up in the morning and behold...I had a bunch of bumps on face and neck. I mean tons of them. Long story short, I hate this product...I wanna burn all the jars

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2013 8:46:00 AM More reviews by spinnaker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Vintage! I feel like my grandmother when I use this, but I totally get why she used it. My skin has never looked better.

I have horrible cystic acne, and am 38! Mortally unfair. And I try everything, high and low, to clear it up. Spot treatments (SA, BP) don't seem to have any effect, and cleansers just seem to clean. My doctor suggested that it was hormonal/internal and that a clean diet and exercise would help more than anything else. I've even switched toothpaste in the hopes of getting rid of the painful cysts on my chin. So I exercise and try to eat better but in the meantime...

Enter Queen Helene. We finally got a Sally's here last year. We have those huge Shoppers Beauty Boutiques so I wasn't expecting much but Sally's was awesome. Cheap, cheerful and stocked with traditionally hard to find American brands.
After reading the 4000 reviews of the Mint Julep Masque, I picked it up. And it was amazing (see review). So on a subsequent trip I grabbed the Cocoa Butter lotion and this.

It sat in my closet as I debated - is it too oily? How do you use this stuff anyway? The cleansing creme comes in a massive tub for about $6 CDN, smells strongly of jasmine, and feels oily to the touch. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before.

Last week I ran out of my Lancome cleansing oil and decided to give her a go. After consulting my 65 year old mother on how to use this, off we went.

PM, massage in, leave for a few seconds/minutes, wipe several times with a warm, wet, washcloth.
My makeup/sunscreen definitely slid right off. The smell was there, but wasn't overpowering or bothersome to my eyes. No stinging, even when I slid the creme onto my eyelashes. What was this stuff?!
I wiped it off 3 times with the washcloth, and then rinsed the washcloth really well to get rid of residue. There was a film left on my skin, not alot but definitely something. I decided to go with it, and just lightened up my PM moisturizer. My skin felt soothed, even glowy.

A week in, no new breakouts. Current breakouts are less red. WARNING, grossness: a few breakouts that were just starting, inflamed blackheads really, just opened up. With a very light pressure, this plug slid out and then the redness went down. No 'pop', just this gentle slide.

I have changed up the routine a bit; on the final wipe, I put a few drops of tea tree oil on the washcloth. It helps with the residue and leaves me feeling fresher.

The only problem: how to take this bejeezly big tub with me on Naval training?!

PROS: very cheap, effective, I want this glowy skin permanently.
CONS: strong smell, big tub (some people REALLY hate tubs), and it can take awhile to get the hang of how to use it. Find your oldest living female relative and ask. Bring tea, make an afternoon of it.

PS. According to Mum, most women used cold cream up until the 1970's. She said she stopped because Clinique came to town and it was supposed to be 'modern' and 'scientific'. No actual product issues, just not trendy. Maybe I'm coming full circle on this one. If it continues to leave my skin glowy and healing, I'll bin trendy for proven anyday.

Update: definitely 5 lippies. 3 weeks in, still the very occasional breakout that heals very quickly (breakouts normal for me, quick healing, not so much) and the glowiness is insane. I'm wearing less makeup. I'm suddenly young and dewy. WTF? I love this stuff. If I have another child, I'm naming her Helene. Or Whipped Cleansing Cream.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2013 6:48:00 PM More reviews by Penrattus

This cleanser is actually water soluble and meant to be removed with water, contrary to what some other reviewers have written. I love the scent of jasmine myself, but many may find it off-putting, reminding them of their grandmothers or evoking a whore-house of old!

I think it does a great job of removing even waterproof make-up. Massage in, go over with warm-water-soaked washcloth.

Its only rival for make-up removal is Albolene. Now, Albolene has no scent but is NOT water-soluble. (If you think the QHWC leaves a film, never try Albolene.)

If the film from QHWC bothers you, I suggest a light washing with Pears Transparent soap, but don't get the Pears in your eyes!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2013 12:47:00 PM More reviews by FlawedAngel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product works great if you want a cleaser that is really and truly moisturizing. I use a small blob massaged across my face with warm water, light swipe with a tissue or saluxe clothe, and this stuff removes even the most tenacious makeup. Feels like a tradtional cold cream, but it contains sodium borate, which is probably why it removes product so efficiently. It does leave a serious layer of residue, which feels moisturizing and leaves my skin very soft. However, I don't use this on nights I use skincare products w/actives b/c I think it probably leaves a barriar film. Smells strongly of jasmine, which doesn't bother me, but may bother some. I'm an esthetician and I like to use this for facials on clients with dry/mature skin. It is perfect for the the first cleanse in a tradtional facial as the residue comes off by the end of the treatment. Comes in a huge tub. Hate this. Tube packaging much preferrred. Still a great product for estheticians though b/c it feels and smells very luxe, but actually costs about $5.00 at Sally's. Will repurchase though I certainly don't like to use this every night.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2012 12:45:00 AM More reviews by alyciagibson

In order to appreciate ANYTHING from Sally's Beauty Supply, you should be a cosmetologist or at least learn about your products before giving a bad review. this product is absolutely amazing. Cleansing Cream is meant to clean your skin of impurities and dirt. Yes, it removes some makeup but that isn't it's purpose. Massaging it gently into your skin and rubbing off with a wet, warm washcloth is the best way to use it. Afterwards, use astringent. And if you're complaining about acne, it's simply drawing up the dirt in your pores- which is a GOOD thing. After awhile of use, the skin will clear out and your face will be nearly flawless. I stand by this stuff. Always have- always will :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by kim316

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff takes it all off. Remember, this is a cold cream and it is meant to be removed with a wash cloth, not splashed off with water. The smell is light and clean. I splash with warm water first, work some product in, take a warm wash cloth and wipe off product, rinse wash cloth and repeat. Then I splash with warm water. Sometimes I follow with a foaming cleasner, especially in summer months. It leaves your skin so soft and really clean, never dry and tight. Pluses: it's an excellent cleanser that's been around forever, it's cheap, easily accessible (Sally's) and Cruelty free :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 5:45:00 PM More reviews by FrogPrincess1987

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had to rewrite my review based on the time period that I have used this product. I love it and will never stop using it to remove my makeup. I feel as if my extremely dry skin craves this stuff.

To avoid an oily, residue feeling that others complain about, I massage in and remove with a very warm, wet washcloth. I let the washcloth sit on my face for a moment and let the steam and the warmth open my pores and then wipe the product off of my face. I repeat this a couple of times until I am sure there is none of the heavy cream left on my face. It leaves it my face moisturized and the small amount that is left acts as my nightly moisturizer that soaks in and by morning is completely gone. I am left with soft, healthy, moisturized skin.

The scent is very light and slightly floral (I can't quite place my finger on the scent maybe a very light jasmine) and I can't get enough of it. Its a clean, pretty scent. The fragrance does not bother my extremely sensitive skin. I have tried other cleansing creams and they burn my baby like sensitive skin! This does not. It does not break me out (I get a couple of breakouts monthly. Also, some products may give me a pimple but this doesn't) and removes my eye makeup with little effort and withought stinging or blurring my vision.

The price is excellent $5.49 with Sally's card at Sally's Beauty supply. It lasts a very, very long time. About 3-5 months depending on amount used daily.

Love this stuff and would recommend to anyone who cream cleanses or has problem dry skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/22/2012 1:23:00 AM More reviews by mellyru

Do not like and do not recommend.

When I first started using this product, I was excited at how soft my skin was and well it removed my eye makeup. But after two months, it was becoming too much of a hassle. Once you put this stuff on, its IMPOSSIBLE to get off unless you repeatedly wipe over and over again.

Also, my recent endeavors have come to horrify me. I attempted to remove my face make-up, only to find with my toning routine that there were STILL a good amount of make-up residue coming off of the cotton round =O Not only that, but my face has been breaking out, swelling up and turning red. I originally blamed other products for the flare-ups, but after reducing all product usage and narrowing it down, this ''cleansing cream'' was the culprit after all. I have never had a breakout or a reaction that was this bad before and am completely bummed at the end results!

I don't know what to do with the rest of the jar. =(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2011 10:28:00 AM More reviews by blueelm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this unpretentious tub o' goo. I picked it up at a beauty supply store to keep for the gym as I some times forget to put my cleanser in there when I use the same one at home as I put in the gym bag.

As I approached 30 and used retin a my skin became amazingly dry, even developing eczema that just wouldn't go away. I started using Ponds cold cream at home, but this is what they had at the beauty store so I bought it instead of Ponds.

It's awesome, and I plan on continuing to use both. The trick here is to remove it with warm water, and to make sure you have really rubbed it in before removing it. I massage a little into my face before going into the dry sauna to keep my face from being overdried (it sweats off nicely) or before going into the steam room where I then rub it off with a towel for an easy facial.

It is much thicker than Ponds, and has a very different scent (jasmine and marshmallows?) which I worry about. It some times makes the skin on my nose itch just a little so I hope I don't develop an allergy to it. In general, since using cold creams my skin has been better and better, and even breaks out less. Nothing removes stubborn eye make up like creams, and with so much less rubbing. I wish I had figured it out earlier! My poor skin.