August 1, 2014 | 1782 users online

Cleansers - Queen Helene - Queen Helene Whipped Cleansing Cream

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2014 6:07:00 AM More reviews by kittyinglasses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Right, so this and other cold creams are fairly controversial.

And I can see why, the packaging isn't something everyone is okay with (though really, its not like you can't SEE the packaging, so complaining about it or knocking it down more than one point for it is pure childishness. People are also very set in their ways, they like a 3-step solution to their skin troubles (the more products the better, right? Not in my experience.) They are also very used to the sort of dry, stripped feeling that most (if not all) cleansers leave, so something like this, that leaves your skin feeling moist, dewy and soft is usually thought to not have cleaned it well.

That said, I have been using this cleansing cream for one and half (1.5) months, and I must say, this stuff is amazing. The following pros and cons (in no particular order) are based on my own 1.5 months of experience with the product.

PROS:

1. Pore. By functioning in the same way as an oil cleanser, it dissolves oil/other crap in your pores and makes them look less blocked/enlarged. The pores on my nose/cheeks have dramatically reduced in appearance (most notably my cheeks, which even primer couldn't make smooth.

2. Easy. Although the product is time consuming, it's easy and (relatively) mess-free. You can smear this on your face, and walk around the house if you need to, and it won't burn or itch.

3. Sensitive. This cleansing cream is great for people who find cleansers like Cetaphil or Cerave make their skin itch/burn/feel unpleasant. I used Cetaphil for over 6 years, and found that it always gave a slight burning sensation to my skin.

4. Acne. I have very acne-prone skin. In fact, my skin breaks out within hours of using something it disagrees with. This did and does not make me break out, it didn't make my skin purge, or turn into a horrible cystic battlefield. It has actually improved my acne immensely.

5. Moisture. I feel like I don't need a moisturizer when I use this. My skin feels sufficiently moisturized all day when I use this. I also have not had any issues with dryness/peeling/scaliness which is usually an issue in the summertime

6. Multipurpose. I have also used this in very small quantities to moisturize my nails which I have issues with drying, peeling and ridginess, my nails have never looked so healthy! I also use it as a very good makeup remover.

7. Quantity. The amount that you get (15 oz) for the price ($5-9, depending on where you live) is great, especially considering how little you really need. I would say that this jar will last about 3 months with daily, morning and night use.

8. Scent. I don't know what the scent is supposed to be, some have said Jasmine, but whatever it is, it smells lovely.

9. Hyper-pigmentation. I had terrible, dark, purple/brown hyper-pigmentation due to clusters of acne below my cheekbones, and I truly believe that this cleansing cream has contributed to the fading of these splotches.

CONS:

1. Availability. You can't get this easily--at least not in Canada-- it is only available online or at Sally Beauty Supply, which is not a common store altogether. As I understand, QH products are available at Walmart in the US, so if you are lucky enough to find it at your local Wally World, pick it up and give it a try.

2. Packaging. Some people (picky people) don't like the jar packaging. The only time I find it an inconvenience is when I have a little product on my hands and need to pick the jar up. It's quite large, so if you don't have big hands it can potentially be hard to hold.

3. Removal. Though it is easy to use, and generally to remove, it is obviously not something that you can just wash off. You must use a washcloth/cloth/tissue to remove it which is inconvenient if you happen to be short on them. You can use soap to remove it from your hands, however I would never recommend using soap on your face.

I feel that the pros for this product outweigh the cons, and I ABSOLUTELY will be restocking my supply when I run out. Hell, I wish I could buy big, Costco-sized barrels of this stuff.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2014 2:37:00 AM More reviews by kimmaria

This product is my HOLY GRAIL! I've tried A LOT of cleansers (drugstore stuff to Sephora stuff)...and omgsh this stuff is seriously impressive..plus inexpensive. I go back to this stuff all the time after being dissapointed with my other cleansers.
It removes all my makeup, the scent is sooo so good (jasmine), and it leaves my skin feeling clean and mosturised! I sometimes skip moisturising because I feel like this product cleanse and moisturises perfectly...I usually put additional moisturiser during winter.
The only con I have with this is the ugly packaging...it'll be nice if it was a pump so it's more cleaner..but whatever. Its cleaning/moisturising job is too die for.
I have sensitive/acne prone skin and I never ever broke out from this (so I don't know why people are complaining.. unless they're not doing it properly ). I usally put a small amount on my dry face, work it in, and slowly add warm water to form a nice paste until it becomes clear and wipe it with my face cloth with warm water.

From a broke university student.
P.s. my skin looks healthy thanks to this product...and my change of diet and exersise lol.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2014 6:15:00 PM More reviews by mkinthecity

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow! Really like this cream cleanser! If you do not like the Pond's cold cream fragrance, try this one. I had an allergic reaction to Pond's so had to find alternatives. You must remove this with a warm wash cloth as it does not rinse off (like Pond's). This is also cruelty free and made in the USA. It has a light refreshing jasmine scent. Great for those with dry skin. Left my skin clean and smooth:)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2013 1:31:00 AM More reviews by RaeScott

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hi everyone! I JUST got this yesterday and I remember my gran using cold creams as a kid so was a tiny bit familiar with the process. I DID change it a bit though. I take a washcloth and soak it in HOT water and run that over my face first, Then I take a SMALL (MAYBE quarter sized amount) of this and rub it between wet fingers and rub all over my face and neck, Neck I take a washcloth soaked in hot/warm water and make three swipes from hairline down, I rinse between swipes. I then take and use the washcloth again (after being very well rung out) and wipe my face and neck all down and make sure I get all visible traces off. I have oily/combo skin and there is a VERY fine film that is left behind but it quickly absorbes in and isnt an issue.

So far so good except I have a few breakouts showing BUT with any new skin care regime it will happen. It takes anywhere from 30-60 days for your skin to adjust to a cleansing regime change and to settle down. I will check back in then and let you know how it goes.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/19/2013 4:29:00 PM More reviews by Marchoiness88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Normally, I love Queen Helene's products. But this s***. That's all I want to say about it, but it won't be helping anyone. The packaging is similar to their hair products. Plastic jar with a plastic lid, nothing fancy but it gets the job done. The consistency of the product is very solid, more solid than Ponds Cold Cream. Once you get it in your hands, it's wayyyyyyy more oily than most Cleansing Creams I've tired. So I did the usual, tried to take my makeup off...no bueno. My blush came off, but that's about it. Please make sure you follow the directions and take off the product with a warm towel because your face will look like sooooo shiny. So after a night using this product, I woke up in the morning and behold...I had a bunch of bumps on face and neck. I mean tons of them. Long story short, I hate this product...I wanna burn all the jars

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2013 8:46:00 AM More reviews by spinnaker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Vintage! I feel like my grandmother when I use this, but I totally get why she used it. My skin has never looked better.

I have horrible cystic acne, and am 38! Mortally unfair. And I try everything, high and low, to clear it up. Spot treatments (SA, BP) don't seem to have any effect, and cleansers just seem to clean. My doctor suggested that it was hormonal/internal and that a clean diet and exercise would help more than anything else. I've even switched toothpaste in the hopes of getting rid of the painful cysts on my chin. So I exercise and try to eat better but in the meantime...

Enter Queen Helene. We finally got a Sally's here last year. We have those huge Shoppers Beauty Boutiques so I wasn't expecting much but Sally's was awesome. Cheap, cheerful and stocked with traditionally hard to find American brands.
After reading the 4000 reviews of the Mint Julep Masque, I picked it up. And it was amazing (see review). So on a subsequent trip I grabbed the Cocoa Butter lotion and this.

It sat in my closet as I debated - is it too oily? How do you use this stuff anyway? The cleansing creme comes in a massive tub for about $6 CDN, smells strongly of jasmine, and feels oily to the touch. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before.

Last week I ran out of my Lancome cleansing oil and decided to give her a go. After consulting my 65 year old mother on how to use this, off we went.

PM, massage in, leave for a few seconds/minutes, wipe several times with a warm, wet, washcloth.
My makeup/sunscreen definitely slid right off. The smell was there, but wasn't overpowering or bothersome to my eyes. No stinging, even when I slid the creme onto my eyelashes. What was this stuff?!
I wiped it off 3 times with the washcloth, and then rinsed the washcloth really well to get rid of residue. There was a film left on my skin, not alot but definitely something. I decided to go with it, and just lightened up my PM moisturizer. My skin felt soothed, even glowy.

A week in, no new breakouts. Current breakouts are less red. WARNING, grossness: a few breakouts that were just starting, inflamed blackheads really, just opened up. With a very light pressure, this plug slid out and then the redness went down. No 'pop', just this gentle slide.

I have changed up the routine a bit; on the final wipe, I put a few drops of tea tree oil on the washcloth. It helps with the residue and leaves me feeling fresher.

The only problem: how to take this bejeezly big tub with me on Naval training?!

PROS: very cheap, effective, I want this glowy skin permanently.
CONS: strong smell, big tub (some people REALLY hate tubs), and it can take awhile to get the hang of how to use it. Find your oldest living female relative and ask. Bring tea, make an afternoon of it.

PS. According to Mum, most women used cold cream up until the 1970's. She said she stopped because Clinique came to town and it was supposed to be 'modern' and 'scientific'. No actual product issues, just not trendy. Maybe I'm coming full circle on this one. If it continues to leave my skin glowy and healing, I'll bin trendy for proven anyday.

Update: definitely 5 lippies. 3 weeks in, still the very occasional breakout that heals very quickly (breakouts normal for me, quick healing, not so much) and the glowiness is insane. I'm wearing less makeup. I'm suddenly young and dewy. WTF? I love this stuff. If I have another child, I'm naming her Helene. Or Whipped Cleansing Cream.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2013 6:48:00 PM More reviews by Penrattus

This cleanser is actually water soluble and meant to be removed with water, contrary to what some other reviewers have written. I love the scent of jasmine myself, but many may find it off-putting, reminding them of their grandmothers or evoking a whore-house of old!

I think it does a great job of removing even waterproof make-up. Massage in, go over with warm-water-soaked washcloth.

Its only rival for make-up removal is Albolene. Now, Albolene has no scent but is NOT water-soluble. (If you think the QHWC leaves a film, never try Albolene.)

If the film from QHWC bothers you, I suggest a light washing with Pears Transparent soap, but don't get the Pears in your eyes!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2013 12:47:00 PM More reviews by FlawedAngel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product works great if you want a cleaser that is really and truly moisturizing. I use a small blob massaged across my face with warm water, light swipe with a tissue or saluxe clothe, and this stuff removes even the most tenacious makeup. Feels like a tradtional cold cream, but it contains sodium borate, which is probably why it removes product so efficiently. It does leave a serious layer of residue, which feels moisturizing and leaves my skin very soft. However, I don't use this on nights I use skincare products w/actives b/c I think it probably leaves a barriar film. Smells strongly of jasmine, which doesn't bother me, but may bother some. I'm an esthetician and I like to use this for facials on clients with dry/mature skin. It is perfect for the the first cleanse in a tradtional facial as the residue comes off by the end of the treatment. Comes in a huge tub. Hate this. Tube packaging much preferrred. Still a great product for estheticians though b/c it feels and smells very luxe, but actually costs about $5.00 at Sally's. Will repurchase though I certainly don't like to use this every night.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2012 12:45:00 AM More reviews by alyciagibson

In order to appreciate ANYTHING from Sally's Beauty Supply, you should be a cosmetologist or at least learn about your products before giving a bad review. this product is absolutely amazing. Cleansing Cream is meant to clean your skin of impurities and dirt. Yes, it removes some makeup but that isn't it's purpose. Massaging it gently into your skin and rubbing off with a wet, warm washcloth is the best way to use it. Afterwards, use astringent. And if you're complaining about acne, it's simply drawing up the dirt in your pores- which is a GOOD thing. After awhile of use, the skin will clear out and your face will be nearly flawless. I stand by this stuff. Always have- always will :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by kim316

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff takes it all off. Remember, this is a cold cream and it is meant to be removed with a wash cloth, not splashed off with water. The smell is light and clean. I splash with warm water first, work some product in, take a warm wash cloth and wipe off product, rinse wash cloth and repeat. Then I splash with warm water. Sometimes I follow with a foaming cleasner, especially in summer months. It leaves your skin so soft and really clean, never dry and tight. Pluses: it's an excellent cleanser that's been around forever, it's cheap, easily accessible (Sally's) and Cruelty free :)