Lancome Poeme

3.9

on 5/5/2015 2:59:00 PM

Love love love this! I just love it fullstop.

on 3/5/2015 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My all-time fave Lancome perfume, I was addicted to Poeme one cold January approx 10 yrs ago -- I found it very comforting, wore it day after day, and went through a couple of bottles. Don't wear it much any more, but still keep a half-empty bottle around, as I do most of my past favorites.

I'm not a floral fan except when they're soft &/or musky &/or contain vanilla -- as Poeme does. It's the vanilla blossom note that won me over to this perfume. It dries down golden warm, soft, feminine, a little powdery, sensuous -- and I've gotten compliments.

Launched in 1995, here are the notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes -- Bergamot, Blue poppy, Angel's trumpet, Green notes, Mandarin, Narcissus, Peach, Plum, Black currant

Heart Notes -- Freesia, Heliotrope, Jasmine, Leather, Mimosa, Orange blossom, Rose, Tuberose, Vanilla blossom, Ylang-ylang

Base Notes -- Amber, Musk, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Cedar

I'd put Poeme in the same general golden vanilla-based category as Baiser Vole Essence, YSL Cinema, D&G The One, Allure, Burberry Classic (pebble-shaped bottle) -- ie, warm vanillic florals that meld well with natural skin scent. I've loved all of these mentioned at various times, and I still have them all in my collection.

Tresor never worked for me, it had a sharpness about it (always reminded me of sour rotting orange peels), Tresor flankers meh, Oui meh, Magie Noire too strong & vaguely stomach-turning, Hypnose was just fair, La Vie Est Belle is gaggingly too sweet, the other LEs in the Lancome line have always been just meh, meh, meh ......

For me, Poeme is the all-time best perfume in the Lancome line -- and for reference, my all-time favorite in the Chanel line is Allure EDP -- another golden perfume that contains a prominent vanilla note.

on 2/6/2015 6:29:00 PM

This scent is strong and is either a love it or hate it one but I really adore it. You need to ensure that you don't over spray as one spray is usually sufficient and it has good longevity. I can smell this on myself all day and have had several comments on how nice it is. Others have said it is a retro scent as it definitely is not a sugary sweet fragrance so favoured at the moment. It reminds me of Amarige. I will buy this over and over again.

on 12/26/2014 1:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I was looking for a perfume with similarities to Brit Gold and the salesperson recommended poem,I'm 28 years old and first I thought well its too mature but for the last 3 days around eight or ten people has told me you Smell beautiful,you smell so charming...
It's not something like manifesto or flower bomb which I used to wear,it has some kind of originality ,it's a real perfume,they have not tried just to make some good smelling stuff,...
The drydown?The most amazing part of it and lasts the whole day

on 10/18/2014 12:33:00 PM

Poeme is quite an intense and rich floral perfume that is definitely not for teenagers. You need a very light hand with this, once spray and it is best worn in the winter. Unique scent, and nothing on the market is like it. Sumptuous, but it doesn't smell like food. Probably not for most offices, unless you own the company.....and with the help of the confidence boost you get from Poeme, you very well may!

on 9/23/2014 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

This is a gorgeous perfume. It is warm and pretty. At times, it reminds me of Jean Paul Gaultier's Classique EDP. Occasionally, it reminds me of a soft Norrell by Revlon (the original). Poeme's sweet-powderiness reminds me of L'Instant by Guerlain. I like the make-up scent I detect at times, because to me, this scent is oh-so-feminine. I wear this perfume to bed at night. During the day, I wear Lancôme's La Vie Este Belle. Both perfumes last a long time, smell of quality, and make me feel fabulous.

on 5/23/2014 12:36:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

Screaming scrubber. Eau de furniture polish. An industrial accident in a plastics factory. Sure-fire migraine trigger. Should be marketed as an emetic by a major drug company. Possibly the worst perfume ever made, and certainly the biggest misnomer. Pass the sick bag.

on 1/15/2014 8:00:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

It's deep and rich and very sexy - but experienced and classy kind of sexy - not cheap and flashy kind of sexy. Everyone who has ever hugged me or got close to me tells me I smell incredible when I wear this scent. It is my winter signature scent. I would say it is for the more experienced woman - late 30's onwards. She knows her own mind and knows how to go about getting what she wants.

on 8/23/2013 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Poeme is one of those fragrances that hit me immediately as my kind of scent. I'm not good at describing the notes, but the orange/amber and vanilla come to mind. I've always loved it and used it for about 20 years. It's particulary wonderful in winter and leaves me feeling happy and warm whenever it wafts in my direction. Here is what a Fragrantica says about it:

"Poeme does not follow classic structure of top, middle and base notes. The notes of the composition are appearing alternately, like echo. The composition features intoxicating Himalayan blue poppy, white and yellow flowers (mimosa, rose, freesia...) and vanilla flower. Poeme is a poem in the world of perfumes; the contrasts of bitter and sweet create a special sensual aura. "

I would say it is intoxicating for me and always puts me in a good mood. A little goes a long way so no need to over apply.

I tend to like the more complex fragrances and the warmer, oriental ones as well. For a long time, I was getting by on samples when I'd buy other Lancome skin care products, but finally bought a bottle of my own.

I gravitate towards Chanel (Coco), Boucheron, Burberry (the original) and newer ones such as Gucci Guilty and Bright Crystal so my taste is pretty widespread, but I don't like overly sweet, light, powdery floral-ly and fruity perfumes. Hope this helps!

on 7/28/2013 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Ah, Poeme... Mimosa, narcissus and a voluptuous bouquet of flowers in all their glory. Very deep and voluptuous. It's not daring but quite an old romantic at heart and positively womanly.

Seriously, there are a million notes in there: blackcurrant, Himalayan poppy, plum, green notes, mandarin orange, narcissus, bergamot, peach, datura on top.
Mimosa, leather, orange blossom, freesia, jasmine, heliotrope, ylang ylang, vanilla, rose, tuberose in the middle.
The base consists of tonka bean, amber, musk, vanilla, more orange blossom and cedar.

Jacques Cavallier did a wonderful job. This flood of powerhouse florals wouldn't possibly be anything less than intoxicating. Tenacious sillage and longevity.
Unfortunately I'm not a fan of bold floral perfumes and although I appreciate the craftsmanship I wouldn't wear Poeme - the queen of yellow florals. If this is the type of perfumes that wear well on you don't miss it.

Popular Fragrances