December 22, 2014 | 927 users online

Fragrances - Monyette Paris - Monyette Paris

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2013 1:05:00 AM More reviews by youwillneverfindme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've never been to French Polynesia, I'm pale, and pink and look nothing like any sort of island girl...but THIS is MY summer scent. Dense, humid, creamy...yes, all of that applies. Given my lack of poetic prowess, I'm just going to give you my scent description straight up:
Monyette Paris is the nicest smelling tanning lotion mixed with that sort of salty-sea-sweat that usually only smells amazing while you're actually on the beach in the hottest bikini and hair all windblown and wavy as the current love of your life tickles your stomach while you're laying under a heavy canopy of the most beautiful gardenia, slightly intoxicated. (NOT the overly green, sharp, synthetic smelling gardenia...no. It truly smells...creamy and luxurious.) I imagine this is the scent that Helena Christensen wore in the Wicked Games video...before she did whatever she did that inspired Issacs to write a song about her characters cruelty. Yeah...it's that good.

So anyway, even though I tried Monyette Paris years go when roller-ball oils were getting a lot of attention and then quickly dumped it when I felt like "everyone" was in on it....I've never smelled it on anyone before. I've only picked it up again a few months ago, and while it's not quite my HG, it is one I plan on having around forever.

Price, amount and longevity:
Yes, expensive: $45 for 1/8 oz. I'm not going to justify price with longevity because if you're wanting Monyette Paris to waft behind you, you'll have to apply every 4 hours or so. (And I can't compare to the EDP yet.) However, if you wear it the way fragrances truly should be worn: only the slightest hint teasing the air around you, inviting others to come closer...then this is your bag...well, perfume oils in general are you bag. MP stays close to the skin, but retains it's gorgeous character all.freakin.day. Yes expensive...frankly, the best ones always are. *sigh*

Packaging:
Cute and it has changed since I bought my first bottle years ago. It's still the same, tiny rollerball, but the tube has changed to light pistachio color with white filigree-type embellishment. I think it's more charming than the bottle of the past.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2013 11:18:00 PM More reviews by Kelly9

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Humid and dense gardenia & cream to my nose, with something that is almost but not quite overripe banana. Very tropical and buttery. My husband says it smells of vanilla and flowers. I find the packaging adorable, it is a small bottle with a tiny little rollerball. This is pure perfume oil inside, so a little goes a long way. I love to take a little bit of Monyette and apply it to the ends of my ponytail, so the scent provides a nice little waft when I move. The formula provides me with just the right amount of floaty sillage--never overpowering to others, but giving them just a tease on the air every so often. I'm crazy about this scent as the weather is warming up, and love it right out of a bath (I apply virgin coconut oil for a moisturizer first--a perfect pairing with this perfume) and even before bed, because even though it has quite a lot of body, it is a gentle fragrance. As always, because everyone has different tastes, give it a try before you buy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2013 1:00:00 PM More reviews by Melloney

Monyette was not a love at first sniff thing. It took me years to come round to it. I loved Kai first. Carnal Flower is probably my *subconsciously* signature scent.
I think the problem I had was with the muguet note on the top which didn't seem to *fit* with the creamy gardenia vanilla . The muguet came off as metallic and high pitched. Then I tried Monyette again a year or so later and I finally got what its about. Sometimes a scent is worth the extra effort to try and understand it.
I find Monyette to be a fragrance that sometimes changes on my skin . Sometimes I get more lily of the valley / muguet and sometimes I just get a creamy gardenia milk . I hardly ever get nag champa with Monyette. There is a delicious element to the composition for sure. I have a bottle of the roll on and will keep on buying it because that creamy gardenia vanilla milk in Monyette is unique. And.. all these years later I can see how the muguet works to lift the milkiness of the vanilla - gardenia into a different place. It really is quite lovely stuff.
Longevity is excellent- truly excellent. I have dry scent consuming skin.
A tiny roll on bottle will last for a loooong time I promise you.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2013 1:39:00 PM More reviews by fergiefergie

Ordered a decant sample from Lucky Scent. DAMN. This oil is simply gorgeous. Creamy gardenia with a very light touch of spice. So well blended. Can't fault it on anything. I'm taking off a lippie because my dry skin unfortunately devours this like it does just about every other fragrance. But since this so very beautiful and the fact that it's unusually cool right now for early May here in Charlotte, NC, I'm going to order a rollerball of the oil and a spray bottle of the EDP in the hopes that the heat of the coming Summer and putting some in my hair will make it last.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 10:07:00 PM More reviews by stayce

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've never been able to talk myself into $40 for an oil-based roll-on, but maybe I should. This toggles between vanilla sugar, Play-doh, and a soft gardenia-jasmine floral, but I looooove it.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2012 9:01:00 PM More reviews by Lola452

I really wanted to like this, and thought I did when I first put it on - initially, a lush, tropical gardenia scent with hints of coconut. Delicious. However, as this dried, it turned to straight-up tropical-scented bathroom spray on me. I'm perplexed because I haven't seen anybody else mention this. It must just be me. I'm definitely going to give it another shot, but my first impression of this was not a good one, unfortunately.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2012 2:47:00 PM More reviews by yovivbabe

Such a beautiful, subtle floral, but creamy scent. I only use two touches of this oil--one to my inner wrist, one to my opposite ear. Worn that way, it's gentle and understated (more than that on me makes me feel sick--it's a fine line). I'm not normally a perfume wearer at all--in fact, I don't really care for fragrances, aside from Monyette Paris. I don't wear it all the time, but keep coming back to it again and again. Lasts all day and is just lovely. I realize scent is super subjective, but for me, this is the best.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2012 5:24:00 PM More reviews by OneOriginalGal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh my goodness! I received a free sample of this nectar along with an order of Fracas, and at the mere crack of the stopper of the decanted sample, my heart dramatically stood still for a singular instant. My reaction to this scent was very specific, literal and visceral... because it smells PRECISELY like Bora Bora in French Polynesia. This is not a metaphor, it is the scent I had been painstakingly trying to find in order to fulfill my passion and very expensive love of travelling to French Polynesia and her multitudes of unspoiled islands.

Now please understand, I came to this conclusion having known NOTHING about this hand-decanted little tester I had been given, on which someone had hand-written Monyette Paris. It wasn't until I scrambled online to order a bottle of this Monyette as quickly as possible, (for fear this was some trick and that this scent might suddenly vanish!) that I learned Monyette Paris was INDEED created to represent the scent and memories of French Polynesia! BINGO! Perfumiere, Mademoiselle Tristan Brando (coincidence? Marlon Brando having long lived in BoraBora... in fact we have rented his house for our next visit this coming summer!) stole my heart in an instant.

I was transported to an isolated , palm-fringed, white sand motu wearing little more than the skin-loving oil of Monoi, a wreath of Tiare gardenias atop my head, while catching drifts of breeze from countless vanilla plantations along the opposing shores of the azure lagoon at the base of the spectacular green and jagged Mount Otemanu.

THAT is what this perfume is for me. But there are very few people who have ever had the spectactular good fortune of repeatedly travelling in that remarkable part of the world. I'm even getting married there this July! This is scent is now a mandatory part of my life.

Maururu (Thank you in Tahitian)

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/28/2012 1:12:00 PM More reviews by uncomplicated

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Creamy gardenia, slightly green. Light and fresh going on, but dries down to a musty vanilla. Overall, a simple pleasant fragrance. Not overly sweet.

To get the best out of this for me, I have to apply only where it will touch my clothes in order for the fresh floral beginning to stay longer. Also good dabbed behind my ears and back of my neck - I avoid smelling the musty vanilla that way.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/5/2011 4:11:00 AM More reviews by skinnyfooted1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

In a nutshell: this smells like gardenia with a burnt vanilla sugar edge.
If that smells good to you then go for it, but don't take Oprah's advice just for the sake of it. Buy yourself a nice decant and sample it first.
My verdict is that I didn't like it. I wanted to so much though! The packaging is so amazingly beautiful, especially the roll-on parfume with the adorable birdies! It's just that I found out, through this perfume, that I strongly dislike the scent of gardenia when it's a soliflore, which is mostly what Monyette Paris is: very sweet, slightly burnt gardenia.