Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet

4.4

on 6/27/2015 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This product has a really big rave in my place. I tried to buy it once in the counter, even Sales Assistant made up a ridiculous rule. She told me that I can get Rouge Velvet only if I purchase it with another product. Come on, there's no such thing. It's not even a GWP product!

I refused to buy there and I finally found it online, the Peach Club one. I understand why it is such a rave. It has a really smooth texture, application is relatively easy, and the color pay off is quite satisfying. You will probably need to apply 2 swipes to get the best pigmentation and coverage, but I mostly use it as stain so I just swipe once and dab the product on the lips to smear it evenly. It feels really light on my lips, and I happily claim that this doesn't dry my lips. It dries quickly, so I think a quicker application is suggested.

Long-wearing? Yes. I took a sip of a cup of coffee 3 minutes after application and it didn't even leave a stain on the cup. After almost 6 hours with oily and spicy dinner, a couple cigarettes and a few drinks, it left visible (and acceptable) stain.

I find that the color changes after a while, but I'm not sure if it oxidises or it just fades away (which reveals a hint of my lips' true color). In the tube, it looks more like a medium coral pink that peach pink. I have purplish pigmented lips and when freshly applied, the color appears as bright reddish-orange. It does flatter yellow undertone and brings a nice contrast for medium skin (NC35). After a few hours, when it looks like lesser pigments stay, the color on the lips turns into rosy pink. Nothing annoying though.

While the price is higher than most drugstore lipsticks, but I find that you will be satisfied for what you're paying for. I would gladly buy them again (in another shade!).

on 6/18/2015 2:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I discovered Bourjois recently & I am glad I did! This is a unique liquid lipstick, it has amazing staying power! I have been out for dinner & drinks but this stays put. I have the darkest shade Grand Cru and Frambourjoise the berry pink which both I get compliments on every time I wear them. The formula could smell better but it is very creamy which is a plus. Like with any matte lipstick, make sure you use lip balm before! I can't wait for more shades to come out because these are affordable & have great packing!

on 6/13/2015 1:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I own the darkest shade and I'm impressed with its staying power. It lasts through an entire meal if the food is not too greasy. I've never owned a lipstick so durable before. It's true it's drying and tends to bleed so I don't give it 5 stars.

on 6/3/2015 4:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I bought 4 shade of this lippy in peach club, ole flamingo, nudeist and happy nude year.
not all of them makes me happy.

peach club - actually it looks more orange rather than peach. idk but this shade made my lips dry and lack of color pay off. i'm quite disappointed with this.

ole flamingo - bright deep fuschia. it's bold color that doesn't suit for daily wear. but pigmentation and lasting power is great.

nudeist and happy nude year - oh these my favorite. perfect for office, quite long lasting, but i found it drying sometimes, even though i used lipbalm underneath.

repurchase? yes for nudeist and happy nude year

on 4/25/2015 10:04:00 AM

LOVE IT

Stays all day, been wearing it religiously and I always get compliments everytime i wear it. I bought in shade frambourjois (no.2) a bright pink one but still okay tho. What I like about this baby bcs it survives lunch dinner snacks water and etc. I rarely wear liptick bcs I am to lazy to reapply lol, so this baby comes in handy. Also, it's not drying on my lips. I give it 4 stars because it has chemical smell, if you can't stand the smell don't buy it.

on 4/17/2015 4:17:00 AM

I love this product, it last all day even after eating food like a burger haha. Ill put it on at 7AM and have a full day of work, get back at 8:30PM and it's still on, not as bright as it was but there is still some product on your lips. The product can be quite drying if you have really dry lips but if u put a bit of lipgloss under or above it then I always find it to be ok. But you use the product in 2 coats so the first one goes on lightly as a base and then u build it up on the second coat. I would really recommend this product and I have done to my friends and they love it too. I'm going back today to buy another shade because its my favourite lipstick so far!

on 4/12/2015 5:29:00 PM

Although I love matte finishes, I hate the way they dry out the lips and settle into the fine lines. Not with these! I bought the shade 07 Nude-ist and it glides on like a dream and actually does feel velvety. It reminds me of the Collection Cream Puffs but more opaque and not streaky. I have found that this transfers but there is no obvious colour loss. This wears well and is comfortable on the lips, does not bleed and fades nicely, leaving a gorgeous, subtle stain. I took one lippie off because although I do love the colour, the name Nude-ist is misleading as this colour is a medium but quite dark pink. I also love the colour Don't Pink About It which is a lovely soft pink and perfect for this time of the year. At £8.99, these are a steal - especially because Boots almost always has 3 for 2 offers on.

on 4/12/2015 8:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

If you like bright matte lips super duper long wear hours, I'd say this lipstick is for you.
As far as any long wear matte lipstick goes, they tend to drying your lips and crackle. Not this one.

Bourjuis Rouge Velvet Edition has superb pigments, they're good in one swipe, or two at max and you have solid colour.
I only need to apply it 8AM when I off to the office, and it didn't budge even a bit. It only goes off at 9PM when I finally take off all my make up. Yes, they're that good. Although, they took a bit longer to set down, but I don't really mind since once it set, it stays there until you take it off. It survives eating from cute snacking to ridiculous 5-course-meal, drinking even an aerobic class (it was one time I forgot my make up remover when I go to the gym). I constantly licked and smacked lips, yet it stays there. Not to mention that I live in a tropical climate, and it didn't melt at all. I can't never forget how my office mates envy my always on-top lips all day long.

At the end of the day, when I about to wipe them off, I admit it is quite hard to remove. With Bioderma it took the whole cotton drenched in it pigment.
Also I recommend to regularly scrub your lips so any pigment residue won't darkened your lips. Beside, it didn't hurt to always prepare your lips, have it smooth so the next wear look perfect. Not that it is necessary because the product settle just fine in between those lines but I always find it settle best when I scrub my lips regularly so it is really really smooth (me and my obsession)

At first I content own 1 shade, Framboujuise ones, my favourite kind of red lipstick with pink undertone. Almost fuchsia in the slightest. This one I wear it on heavy rotation.
Then I regret it only buy one and plan to buy another two, Personne ne Rouge, the all classic true red which has this vintage old Hollywood glamour vibes and Peach Club which I'd say the wildcard of all. The name may say Peach but on me it is more like orange than peach. This one has the most difference between in the tube and on lips.
I fell too hard, so I need to buy another one so now I have 4 shades. The latest is Grand Cru, a deep-almost-wine-and-vampy-ish red. Grand Cru has more tendency to blotchy than the other three but easily fixed by swipe another layer quickly.

So matte lips lover, long wear lipstick worshipper, if you haven't got this lipstick yet, go run to your nearest drugstore and get this lipstick A.S.A.P!

on 3/23/2015 3:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have this in 2 shades and find both are extremely pigmented , even the nude shade has quite a bright initial application. It is matte , but it doesn't set on the lips so it does transfer and does wear off - like most lipsticks. It is drying and wouldn't do your lips any favours if you were wearing this every day but if like me you wear a different product every day you may find the dry effect manageable. I think this does look sophisticated once on the lips and I will certainly repurchase

on 3/20/2015 2:39:00 PM

I find this very drying. It looks good for about two minutes then it seems to shrivel up and separate on my lips, turning from a plush velvet finish to a patchy mess. It's tolerable with balm on top but then it's not velvet or matte. I do have dry lips though so
YMMV. On the plus side it's easy to apply.
I prefer laura mercier lip paint though it's nearly x3 the price.
EDIT: shade 07, a pink nude makes for a nice matte but not dry-looking cream blusher. You only need a spot. It blends well, but work fast!
10, an orange red also works as blush but a little harder to blend. Do not use too much, once it's on there is no going back.
Finish as a blush is very natural but still "there".
So, Iíve gone from 2 stars to 3 because at least now I see myself using these.

Recommended for Medium Skin