March 2, 2015 | 1799 users online

Fragrances - Elizabeth and James - Nirvana White

rated 1 of 5 on 2/28/2015 10:23:00 AM More reviews by LyrA236

Have some pity here. I am old enough to remember when the materials censors did not exist, and great perfumes were created with now forbidden components. There were white florals, and white florals that contained musk, and they were actually good. Not everyone likes a white floral; they can be piercingly high pitched and indolic on the back end. Even those who hate opera can admire the voice of Jessye Norman, however, and a good white floral can always command respect. And then there is this. Claims to be based on peony, muguet, and musk. This is the olfactory equivalent of a toddler shrieking in your ear. Loud, exceedingly high pitched, prolonged and agonizing. The initial effect is similar to being buried alive in powdered laundry detergent. If you enjoy Jessica McClintock, perhaps there is room in your heart for her overbearing and coarse cousin. I suspect that jamming knitting needles up my nose would hurt less. If this is Nirvana, I pray never to achieve enlightenment.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2015 12:20:00 PM More reviews by Lashaye16

Absolutely love this perfume! I can't describe the smell but its a very mature beautiful scent! I will probably only wear it in the fall and winter. I purchased the rollerball because I do not wear perfume a lot. I've never been through an entire bottle of body mist yet alone perfume. The only thing I didn't like about the rollerball is you can't tell when the product is getting low. But I do like the design very different from other rollerballs.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2015 8:33:00 PM More reviews by thefairestlady1012

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

After liking both of the Nirvanas equally for a long while, this one has edged out as a clear winner for me, solely because there is a licoricey medicinal note in Nirvana Black that didn't harmonize with the rest of the fragrance, making it annoying to me.

Nirvana White may seem the softer, quieter counterpart to her edgier, more extravagant sister (BlacK), but she has a warmth, a musk, and a timeless feminine zen that is neither juvenile, too floaty feminine or hippiesh or too powdery. It's a balance of all of this with a refined sophistication while being modern and clean without being too beachy or masculine or cologney, Awesome and beautiful check it out. WILL repurchase

Notes: Musks, Peonies and Muguet,
Also detect a soft rose and some woody thing too jus to my limitedly intelligent nose! :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2015 10:02:00 AM More reviews by pillager13

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Fragrance is so subjective and depends on a person's body chemistry, so take this review with a grain of salt. I'm not a fragrance kind of person, but picked the rollerball version of this scent up on a whim as I was heading out of town for work. At this point, I had pretty much given up on scents because they either give me a headache or are too overpowering. But I'm happily surprised with Elizabeth and James' Nirvana White. I don't know how it would smell in conjunction with the Nirvana Black (nor do I care to complicate wearing fragrance any more than I have to), but this is wonderful as a stand alone scent. As another reviewer said, it does smell strongly of pepper, but oddly enough this works for me. It also is more long-lasting on my skin than it is on other reviewers, although it does require reapplication about halfway through the day. I'm not sure what all of the notes are, but it doesn't give me a headache and doesn't smell old lady-ish. It's complex, sexy (my boyfriend loves it), and perfect for daytime or evening wear.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2014 2:11:00 PM More reviews by SmokeySings

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

Was pleasantly surprised by this. Has a classy, not overpowering, long-lasting smell that imo is suitable for day into night. Safe for the work place, esp when using a light hand, and can also be worn for a night on the town, so imho it is very versatile. This lasts all day on me. Seriously I can take a shower and still remotely smell this. And yet the smell itself is not too strong nor overpowering. Probably one of the longest-lasting fragrances I have ever worn. It also wears very nicely during the day, stays true to scent without changing scents or turning into any funny scent as the day goes on. I will say if you are looking to get the roller ball as I started off with, to try to get it at the store if possible as opposed to online. The rollerball I received in my online order was a dud and I had to take it back to exchange it. So I would recommend trying the product while in the store before you get it home. Unless maybe mine was just an isolated dud..*shrug*..Packaging on this is okay, it is sleek and classy/classic looking, even if the plastic itself feels like a cheap plastic. Not a fan of the nirvana black, but fell in love with the nirvana white...I would definitely pruchase this again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2014 1:41:00 PM More reviews by Superbeckyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Very glad to get my hands on the full size of this fragrance: I was lucky enough to get it from Sephora in the USA, as it is not available in the UK, nor is it permitted to be shipped internationally. I visited three Sephora stores on my visit to the US and it was well stocked in each. Costing $75 it is fairly pricey (definitely not something I'd purchase on a whim!), but absolutely worth it if you enjoy the scent. I really didn't think I'd like this smell judging by the description (normally I'm a fan of fruity-florals along the lines of Viva La Juicy, or sandalwood scents) but this really is a divine, wearable everyday floral - fans of Marc Jacobs' Daisy will love this too. The white peony and musk scents are the most dominant to me - fresh, modern and not overpowering at all. And I always get compliments from men when I wear this!

Despite being my new favourite scent there are a couple of negatives that lose marks. The first - this doesn't seem to last long for me! I feel I need to reapply a little every few hours, since it doesn't stick around long. Luckily Sephora also sell a rollerball version, which is convenient for carrying around, but I'd really prefer a mini spray (or for it to actually last longer)! Though I haven't tried the perfume oil version, it's on the shopping list for my next US trip - perhaps that'd improve the lasting power. The other negative is the packaging! Yes, it is a gorgeous sleek vintage-look bottle with lovely gold detail and looks gorgeous on the dressing table. But it really bugs me when there's no way of seeing how much is left! The bottle is rather heavy, so it would be difficult to tell when you're near the end by weight alone and when to repurchase - something that does irritate me with these kind of bottles.

Although this does have its small faults, it really is a gorgeous scent that everyone needs to try - you could be onto a new favourite! I'll be wearing this all year round and will more than likely need another..

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2014 2:33:00 AM More reviews by pennypencil

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

Living in the UK, we don't have access to the Elizabeth and James line yet, which of course fosters the desire to get one's greedy mits on it.
The bottles are beautiful, like 1920s cigarette cases or whiskey flasks - the epitome of chic. The fragrances, in comparison, seem a little roughly hewn. This one is like a watered down Stella - a simple rose. I can think of many rose fragrances preferable to this one, though as a simple rose, it's pleasant enough.
If I owned a full bottle of this, I would wear it often enough, as the rose and peony combination is pretty and gentle. With the voluptuously pretty Chloe fragrance being a little too ubiquitous, and Stella already being the staple rose on the high street, it's fine to have this as an option - but it's a pity there's not more character to be found here.
This goes from a 3-lippy to a 2-lippy because the lasting power is pretty rubbish. You're left with a lightly sweet and musky base, but little else. I find it a bit synthetic too. I'd be interested to know how high grade the ingredients are as to my nose, 'Black' is quite scratchy too.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2014 6:31:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

Why are these so expensive? They are 3 notes and nothing complex or unique. I think they are seriously overpriced for what they are. Peony, musk, and lily-of-the-valleyÖ thatís it. I personally get nothing more than the peony and a hint of wood? I donít think this is anything special and it smells like something I had years ago but I canít recall it.

This is very white floral and I believe you can get way more for your money with something else from an actual fashion designer. This is expensive for a celebrity fragrance and I think we are paying for the packaging, which is nice.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2014 5:58:00 PM More reviews by HollyWould123

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by this fragrance. I've had samples/rollerball of this and have been using it on and off for months now. I constantly receive compliments on what I originally thought was a run-of-the-mill scent. Typically, floral scents are not my go-to. But this has a little more to it since there are musky undertones. The staying power is pretty amazing. It's feminine and not overpowering but strong enough to wear on a night out!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2014 12:57:00 PM More reviews by majanet

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

A rollerball gamble that pays off. The floral topnote is soft, inviting, and durable. Peony/rosy to my nose, and a little lily of the valley. Not too much, and no contrail. The musk seeps in but doesn't overwhelm. This is a great way to go floral without being like an arrangement.

I don't think I'd buy the big bottle; having the rollerball handy is about right for me wrt making a floral choice for a given day.