Elizabeth and James - Nirvana White

3.7

on 3/27/2015 9:42:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love Nirvana Black EDP (instant love!) about 10x more than White EDP, but I've slowly warmed up to White. I'm wearing White by itself today. Drydown is definitely key, since it turns (to my nose) from a bold floral (initially) into a yummy delicious musky drydown, after it melds with natural skin scent.

Both launched in 2014, you can wear them together or separately:
* Nirvana White's notes are: Peony, Lily-of-the-valley, Musk
* Nirvana Black's notes are: Violet, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Nirvana White changes a *lot* from start to finish, on me anyway, and my opinion changes from bad to good as it dries down. For some reason, the first spritz brings to my mind Lilly Pulitzer Wink or the d/c'd Pleasures Intense -- ie, a bold floral bouquet -- not shy, innocent, clean, or chic -- rather hard-edged and flowery. The first time I sniff-tested Nirvana White in the store, I thought "not for me" and moved on -- not my type of floral, this was too harsh.

But I've just discovered that later, on skin, Nirvana White settles down into something quite nice, due to the musk note, I think. I don't know what peony smells like, but Nirvana White never smells like a "white" scent to me, imagery-wise -- more like something in the pink-to-fuscia range.

Sometimes I like to test a perfume by applying before bed and then sniffing it on my skin in the morning before I've had a chance to remember what it was that I sprayed. Then it's sort of a "blind sniff test" for me. I did this with Nirvana White last night -- sprayed before bed, and when I sniffed it on skin this morning, it smelled luscious. I started thinking, "Ooooh, what was it that I sprayed?" I was surprised when I remembered it was Nirvana White and thought, "Hmmm, this stuff is much better than I thought! Much!"

It has a pretty great musky drydown, and I *love* a great musky drydown in a perfume -- that's one of my favorite perfume qualities. If you sniff or spray Nirvana White in stores and are tempted to dismiss it outright as "too ... (whatever)" -- as I did -- I recommend you spray it on your skin and wait for the drydown. It changes significantly, I think, from a harsh beginning into a nice musky floral -- but it never really gets terribly innocent -- it stays rather bold in nature.

White is also good when worn together with Black -- they make a good combo. I still *much* prefer Black, mostly on its own, but it's a darker, more boho type Fall/Winter scent -- so White will be more fitting for the Spring & Summer warm weather to come -- I'll probably wear White on its own quite a bit.

I find it surprising that White has a higher rating than Black here, since I would rate Black much higher, personally (I wrote a separate review). But they're definitely both worth having. I'd buy each in the new oil formulations, if I didn't already have them both in 1.7oz EDP spray and EDP roller-ball (they also come in a duo solid compact now). I find both Black and White EDPs to be very nicely strong and long-lasting too -- I even have to be a little careful not to apply too much.

on 3/20/2015 6:23:00 PM

Absolutely in LOVE with this perfume. I first started out using the Nirvana Black rollerball because I thought I liked it better than this one in Sephora when I tested them out but as I would wear it, I would feel it was kind of strong. Then, I tested out the white again in Sephora out of curiosity and I feel in love. I feel like this perfume smells so fresh and clean but also a little floral. I also find the packaging very chic yet very simple and classic looking. The scent and the bottle are both absolutely gorgeous. The only thing I hate about this perfume is the price tag because it is a little expensive but I honestly love it so much that I'm okay with paying the price.

on 3/18/2015 4:24:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is one of my go- to feminine floral scents. Reminds me of Stella McCartney's Stella but has more of a peony note to it. I have the mini rollerball which is nice for work because I can just dab a small amount on and not make everyone choke. I have received a lot of compliments on this from both men/women. It's a versatile scent for any age and any occassion (more daywear). It tends to be more of a spring/summer scent . When I got mine I wore it in the middle of summer and the heat really brought out the true beauty.

Lasting power is amazing! I get a good 3-4 hours out of mine even when I use it sparingly.The scent also doesn't change over time very much like some fragrances do. If you are looking for a more sexy, smoky, mature, confident scent then try the Nirvana Black. Nirvana White is more of the shy, coy scent frolicking around in shorts and flowy tops.

on 2/28/2015 10:23:00 AM

Have some pity here. I am old enough to remember when the materials censors did not exist, and great perfumes were created with now forbidden components. There were white florals, and white florals that contained musk, and they were actually good. Not everyone likes a white floral; they can be piercingly high pitched and indolic on the back end. Even those who hate opera can admire the voice of Jessye Norman, however, and a good white floral can always command respect. And then there is this. Claims to be based on peony, muguet, and musk. This is the olfactory equivalent of a toddler shrieking in your ear. Loud, exceedingly high pitched, prolonged and agonizing. The initial effect is similar to being buried alive in powdered laundry detergent. If you enjoy Jessica McClintock, perhaps there is room in your heart for her overbearing and coarse cousin. I suspect that jamming knitting needles up my nose would hurt less. If this is Nirvana, I pray never to achieve enlightenment.

on 2/5/2015 12:20:00 PM

Absolutely love this perfume! I can't describe the smell but its a very mature beautiful scent! I will probably only wear it in the fall and winter. I purchased the rollerball because I do not wear perfume a lot. I've never been through an entire bottle of body mist yet alone perfume. The only thing I didn't like about the rollerball is you can't tell when the product is getting low. But I do like the design very different from other rollerballs.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

After liking both of the Nirvanas equally for a long while, this one has edged out as a clear winner for me, solely because there is a licoricey medicinal note in Nirvana Black that didn't harmonize with the rest of the fragrance, making it annoying to me.

Nirvana White may seem the softer, quieter counterpart to her edgier, more extravagant sister (BlacK), but she has a warmth, a musk, and a timeless feminine zen that is neither juvenile, too floaty feminine or hippiesh or too powdery. It's a balance of all of this with a refined sophistication while being modern and clean without being too beachy or masculine or cologney, Awesome and beautiful check it out. WILL repurchase

Notes: Musks, Peonies and Muguet,
Also detect a soft rose and some woody thing too jus to my limitedly intelligent nose! :)

on 1/21/2015 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Fragrance is so subjective and depends on a person's body chemistry, so take this review with a grain of salt. I'm not a fragrance kind of person, but picked the rollerball version of this scent up on a whim as I was heading out of town for work. At this point, I had pretty much given up on scents because they either give me a headache or are too overpowering. But I'm happily surprised with Elizabeth and James' Nirvana White. I don't know how it would smell in conjunction with the Nirvana Black (nor do I care to complicate wearing fragrance any more than I have to), but this is wonderful as a stand alone scent. As another reviewer said, it does smell strongly of pepper, but oddly enough this works for me. It also is more long-lasting on my skin than it is on other reviewers, although it does require reapplication about halfway through the day. I'm not sure what all of the notes are, but it doesn't give me a headache and doesn't smell old lady-ish. It's complex, sexy (my boyfriend loves it), and perfect for daytime or evening wear.

on 11/13/2014 2:11:00 PM

Was pleasantly surprised by this. Has a classy, not overpowering, long-lasting smell that imo is suitable for day into night. Safe for the work place, esp when using a light hand, and can also be worn for a night on the town, so imho it is very versatile. This lasts all day on me. Seriously I can take a shower and still remotely smell this. And yet the smell itself is not too strong nor overpowering. Probably one of the longest-lasting fragrances I have ever worn. It also wears very nicely during the day, stays true to scent without changing scents or turning into any funny scent as the day goes on. I will say if you are looking to get the roller ball as I started off with, to try to get it at the store if possible as opposed to online. The rollerball I received in my online order was a dud and I had to take it back to exchange it. So I would recommend trying the product while in the store before you get it home. Unless maybe mine was just an isolated dud..*shrug*..Packaging on this is okay, it is sleek and classy/classic looking, even if the plastic itself feels like a cheap plastic. Not a fan of the nirvana black, but fell in love with the nirvana white...I would definitely pruchase this again.

on 11/13/2014 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

Very glad to get my hands on the full size of this fragrance: I was lucky enough to get it from Sephora in the USA, as it is not available in the UK, nor is it permitted to be shipped internationally. I visited three Sephora stores on my visit to the US and it was well stocked in each. Costing $75 it is fairly pricey (definitely not something I'd purchase on a whim!), but absolutely worth it if you enjoy the scent. I really didn't think I'd like this smell judging by the description (normally I'm a fan of fruity-florals along the lines of Viva La Juicy, or sandalwood scents) but this really is a divine, wearable everyday floral - fans of Marc Jacobs' Daisy will love this too. The white peony and musk scents are the most dominant to me - fresh, modern and not overpowering at all. And I always get compliments from men when I wear this!

Despite being my new favourite scent there are a couple of negatives that lose marks. The first - this doesn't seem to last long for me! I feel I need to reapply a little every few hours, since it doesn't stick around long. Luckily Sephora also sell a rollerball version, which is convenient for carrying around, but I'd really prefer a mini spray (or for it to actually last longer)! Though I haven't tried the perfume oil version, it's on the shopping list for my next US trip - perhaps that'd improve the lasting power. The other negative is the packaging! Yes, it is a gorgeous sleek vintage-look bottle with lovely gold detail and looks gorgeous on the dressing table. But it really bugs me when there's no way of seeing how much is left! The bottle is rather heavy, so it would be difficult to tell when you're near the end by weight alone and when to repurchase - something that does irritate me with these kind of bottles.

Although this does have its small faults, it really is a gorgeous scent that everyone needs to try - you could be onto a new favourite! I'll be wearing this all year round and will more than likely need another..

on 11/7/2014 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

Living in the UK, we don't have access to the Elizabeth and James line yet, which of course fosters the desire to get one's greedy mits on it.
The bottles are beautiful, like 1920s cigarette cases or whiskey flasks - the epitome of chic. The fragrances, in comparison, seem a little roughly hewn. This one is like a watered down Stella - a simple rose. I can think of many rose fragrances preferable to this one, though as a simple rose, it's pleasant enough.
If I owned a full bottle of this, I would wear it often enough, as the rose and peony combination is pretty and gentle. With the voluptuously pretty Chloe fragrance being a little too ubiquitous, and Stella already being the staple rose on the high street, it's fine to have this as an option - but it's a pity there's not more character to be found here.
This goes from a 3-lippy to a 2-lippy because the lasting power is pretty rubbish. You're left with a lightly sweet and musky base, but little else. I find it a bit synthetic too. I'd be interested to know how high grade the ingredients are as to my nose, 'Black' is quite scratchy too.

Popular Fragrances