July 30, 2014 | 1112 users online

Fragrances - Elizabeth and James - Nirvana White

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2014 4:36:00 PM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I normally don't go for high-end perfumes. But when I smelled this in-store at Sephora and sampled it, I fell in love with the scent and how it evolved on my skin.
It's described on Sephora's site as "a captivating blend of delicate peony, chic
muguet, and tender musk", which I definitely agree with, except on my skin, it tends to pull musk the most with some interesting tobacco-like notes. Very pleasing, very sophisticated and sexy.
However, this does not last on my skin at all. At first, I felt like I got a good couple hours out of this, but now, it seems I get about 30 minutes before the scent is all but gone. I apply this on my pulse points, starting at my ankles and working my way up, and even after all that, it still fades quickly. Very disappointing.
I got the small roller ball of it, which still came to $22. Normally, I stick to less-expensive essential oils and change their notes with interesting body sprays, but I wanted to give this a shot in spite of the astronomical price. I couldn't justify purchasing a full-sized container of it, and I still can't.
The roller ball doesn't really dispense the product too smoothly either. I feel I have to almost press the tip in so it'll release some of the perfume, rather than the product being picked up by the ball and dispensed onto my skin. It makes quick application somewhat difficult. I wish I could empty it into a portable vaporizer or something.
Over all, even though I absolutely adore the scent and will be hard-pressed to find one that suits me so fantastically, I'll have to pass on repurchasing. Hopefully this company will improve the formula to make it longer-lasting, since I don't seem to be alone in my observations.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2014 9:03:00 PM More reviews by LABeautyGal

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My review so far is between 3.5-4 stars. It's based on the rollerball sample from Sephora that I just recently received. I'm not that much of a fragrance afficianado but I do really like this scent on me. It's not too masculine or feminine and most importantly it does not give me a headache. I took a lippie off because it does not last. I'll probably buy the rollerball version; I'm not that much of an Olsen fan to buy the full size. It's a pleasant, light summer scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2014 3:20:00 PM More reviews by lanuzzo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my summer scent this year. I received a sample from Sephora, and babied it until it was all gone :-( So I in the end had to break down and purchase it ;-)

I know scents are subjective, and perfume smells different on everyone, but on me this is a very sophisticated rose scent, sexy, and without smelling like my grandmother.

Yes, it's pricy, which is why it took me so long to break down to buy it. Plus i get tired of perfume easily, so I have a hard time investing in a large bottle, so I opted to purchase the rollerball. If I still love it when this is empty, i'll by the full size.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2014 5:37:00 PM More reviews by talkaboutaddiction

Smells and lasts exactly like D&G light blue on me. Neither is good. Sharp citrus that morphs into bugspray. Luckily it wears off but the sharp drydown lingers yuck. The final turnoff? The Olson skeletons in the ads. Nope.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2014 6:16:00 PM More reviews by AlohaPandaXOXO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Nirvana White was initially ignored by me because I was too busy obsessing over Black and all its sandalwood goodness. Now having properly tried it in store, It smelled much better than my magazine sample had suggested and ended up purchasing it alongside Black in rollerballs so I could mix the two to create more complex, whole scent.

My initial hesitation toward White was also in that I've had a bad track record with peony and lily of the valley fragrances smelling like laundry detergent on me and often getting really overpowering with my body chemistry. White for me has enough of an ozone/water aspect to it that it instead smells like a freshly rained on garden on me rather than laundry detergent. The lack of complexity in this fragrance is kind of disappointing for the price, but I think for me as someone who is sensitive to these notes the editing down actually helped a lot.

As noted in my Black review, I think the fragrances work better paired together which is a bit annoying since you end up spending more money than simply buying a singular, "complete" fragrance. The rollerball packaging has its advantages in being opaque and rectangular, preventing light damage to the fragrance and any potential rolling off of counter tops.

Overall, White is a pleasant surprise and perhaps the underdog out of the two. There are other fragrances similar to this, but I do think the simplicity of the formula give it an edge for those who are looking for something that references older floral fragrances without being too overpowering or powdery.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 7:38:00 PM More reviews by nathaliez

This isn't a bad scent, it is a soft floral with hints of citrus, but for the price you can find better and cheaper..it is light, longevity is poor, so I can't say I like it too much..would I buy it? For $30 maybe , not for $90. It is in the same category as Issey Eau Florale, although the Issey is brighter, and not so citrusy...I think it is kind of nice, but way too expensive for what you get..the scent doesn't open much, and fades so fast... I recommend if you like citrusy/musky scent, Sporty Citrus by Kors, interestingly, the same nose is behind Nirvana White. The Kors is nicer all around.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2014 10:26:00 PM More reviews by lebon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I completely agree with the previous reviewer who likened this scent to Issey Miyake's L'Eau D'Issey Florale, which is one of my HG scents. While I'm a self-proclaimed fragrance whore, I will admit that I'm not as well-versed in articulating fragrance notes as so many of you on this site.

That said: Nirvana White is most definitely a floral in the same vein as the aforementioned Issey Miyake, as well as Stella McCartney's original Stella. Nirvana seems less heavy on the rose scent (which I consider a positive), with a cleaner, sharper edge. I like it very much, but having had the chance to wear it for a few weeks (I ordered the rollerball from Sephora), I'd have to say it's not quite up to par with Miyake's L'Eau D'Issey Florale, which has a softer floral note, less sharp and with less of an edge.

I've not tried Nirvana Black, but I will say that every time I sniff a magazine insert sample of it, I'm immediately reminded of Bath and Body Works' Black Currant Vanilla - a favorite of mine and most certainly one of BBW's most sophisticated fragrances. Perhaps Nirvana Black wears differently, boasts a more evolved drydown, but based on my exposure to it thus far, I'd be inclined to stick with the BBW line - the same rich, intoxicating, sensual fragrance but with a full line for half the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2014 7:34:00 PM More reviews by xylaero

A lot of people seem to be saying that Nirvana White is a "fragment" of a perfume, but I think that's what makes it so nice. You get the distinct smell of peony and a clean musky dry down, which is really quite enough. It's a good, simple scent without a half dozen undertones thrown in unnecessarily. True, you might expect to find this kind of scent in a much less pricy perume, but the upside is that Nirvana lasts a lot longer than most of those cheaper ones would. At first spray it didn't give me a headache and ten hours later I found myself still catching a whiff of it and thinking, "Wow, that still smells good." If it were about twenty dollars cheaper it would be even nicer, but...
Definitely worth a try.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 1:39:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

I was excited to try both Nirvana Black and White and ended up going home with a sample of White (Black was too sandalwood-y/heavy/masculine for my taste). White reminds me of another fragrance I bought a few years ago by Issey Miyake (L'Eau d'Issey Florale - they both have Lily of the Valley) but without the rose notes. Loved the floral notes at first sniff, but as it dried down on my skin, there was a sharper stronger note that surfaced (musk?) that I really didn't like. Fortunately, this EdP doesn't have much staying power at all so it doesn't bother me that much. I do wish that the initial notes lasted longer and would estimate that they dissipated around the 30-minute mark - disappointing!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2014 5:33:00 PM More reviews by tessture

Vanilla, amber paste and creamy white floral something. II's exactly the notes listed and nothing else. Simple, but also sort of boring. It's been done before and it's just not different enough to make it worth the effort. Otherwise unoffensive