Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Miracle Complexion Sponge

4.2

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Recently coverted to using this sponge after I saw a MASSIVE hype about beauty blenders. I wasn't willing to pay the price of a beauty blender and found this was a perfect alternative.

Pretty much the same as a beauty blender, although one end is flat, which is excellent for buffing out your foundation to ensure a smooth coverage.

I have owned this sponge for a couple of months now and it hasn't lost it's shape or ripped in any places. I use it every day when applying my foundation and love the way it blends into my skin. I used to use a foundation brush but found it was allowing my foundation to sit on top of my skin without being properlly blended.

If you are thinking, how is this different to a normal flat square sponge, my answer is it is different in everyway!! Instead of swiping makeup on, this sponge allows you to dab in a stippling motion leaving you with an "air brush" finish.

The packaging is terrible though & took me forever to get the sponge out!!

The only other issue I have had is it can be hard to clean. I attempted it once and due to the flowing water the sponge ballooned on me, however once dried it reverts back to it's original shape.

But considering they aren't all that expensive, if I had any issues, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a new one. Great product!!

on 7/13/2015 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I contemplated getting a beauty blender but not after I saw all the good reviews on this.
I couldn't find it on the shelf of any Walmart or ulta that I went to. ..even when the computer said a particular Walmart had it in stock, they didn't.
I just ordered it with my Amazon Prime..paid a smidgen more but worth it.
I like this sponge a lot.
I use the flat surface 99% of the time so just for that reason alone, I know I would prefer this shape over the beauty blender.
I was using my fingers to apply my foundation...never tried a foundation brush before.
This does make my makeup go on quicker and blends it in like a dream!

on 7/7/2015 2:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

In all honesty, this is the exact same thing as the beauty blender. Besides the shape, it gives me the exact same finish a beauty blender would and i love the shape of this sponge better than the Beauty blender. It's great and blends out your foundation so so well. It does retain a little bit more water than the beauty blender does but it really does the exact same thing a beauty blender would do. If you don't want to splurge, get this product. It's $6 for goodness sake. Definitely worth more than the price.

on 7/6/2015 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Because so many reviewers have noted that there seems to have been a real drop in the quality of this sponge (they were great when first released but not so great recently), I was a bit reluctant to buy it but as it is always, ALWAYS sold out at Walmart in Canada (if they even get it - I've never actually seen one in-store, just an empty peg where these are supposed to be) and because the price was right, I figured I had little to lose so I got when when we were in the US a few weeks ago.

I really like this sponge and now regret not having got more (though I got the last one at the ULTA store I was in). I really love that it has a flat side as well as more rounded and pointed surfaces for applying foundations and BB/CC creams flawlessly. My only complaint is that this seems to soak up a LOT of product. I usually dot my foundation or CC cream all around my face so that product doesn't get wasted as it would if I dipped a sponge into a "pool" of it on the back of my hand or on a makeup palette. And generally, I find very little product on my Beauty Blender or other makeup sponges. But with the RT sponge, there is a LOT of product that seems to get into the sponge and, what's worse, it STAYS THERE. I find it impossible to get the sponge looking even remotely clean. I wash it and it is clean but it doesn't look clean. But this is the only shortcoming and I love how it makes my foundation or other skin products look flawless and it is very easy to use.

on 7/1/2015 5:50:00 PM

Love this sponge! I purchased mine at Ulta it came with 2 in a pack for the price of one so I decided to go ahead and try for back up for my original BB. I started using this sponge once my BB was old and needed to be repurchased and I fell in love. I even reach for this one more now even though I have already purcahsed a new BB. I know alot of people arent a fan of the shape but I like it better. It helps me apply my makeup so effortlessly and it comes out flawless. If you are hesitant about the original BB because of the price point I would just skip it altogether and go stright for this one. You can't beat the price and it works just as great, if not better.

on 6/30/2015 11:19:00 AM

I bought this sponge because the beauty blender was too expensive. Later that month my mum bought me the real beauty blender so i had both to compare. I do prefer the beauty blender because the real techniques sponge does soak up the foundation a little more and it is slightly harder to clean. I would repurchase the complexion sponge instead of the beauty blender because it is really inexpensive and the beauty blender isn't. It costs around 7.00 whereas, the beauty blender is around 25.
Overall, i love the sponge because it has a pointy edge to get under your eyes for your concealer and a flat edge for your face. There is also the curved edge to make sure all the foundation is flawless.
Great Sponge, highly recommend!

on 6/27/2015 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I had a BeautyBlender and loved it but the price was insane for how long it lasted. I decided to try this one out and am so glad I did. When damp, it blends just as well as the BB. I also really like the flat side on this one. This sponge is a little denser; the BB feels more light and bouncy, however I think the Real Techniques one is durable (the material of the BB tore very easily and left little holes). I find it soaks up less product than the BB; I'm only using 2 small pumps now, I was using like 4 before. All in all, this is a fantastic dupe for someone who cannot bring themselves to shell out $20+ for a sponge that lasts maybe 3 months. Blends foundation and concealer beautifully. I will buy this again and again.

on 6/25/2015 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

So...I purchased this for $5.99 at Walgreens out of curiosity. I have a couple Beauty Blenders and I love the results they give. I gave this a try and it is a decent sponge, however it does soak up product. I wet the sponge prior to application and it did swell, which should have reduced it soaking up product but it did not. My biggest complaint is that after I applied my makeup, I washed the sponge and it RIPPED!!! There is a huge tear on the side. It should be more durable than to rip on first washing. I have old Beauty Blenders with small tears, but nothing like this.

on 6/24/2015 4:25:00 AM

Urgh this thing is awful it soaks up all the product. My one pound primark one is way better

on 6/16/2015 4:26:00 PM

I love this thing. I was very hesitant to buy a sponge after using brushes for my base makeup for so long, but now I find myself reaching for this more often than any other tool. It is so soft and easy to work with, and I love the dewy, natural coverage it gives me. It's a bit of work to clean, but that's to be expected with a sponge I guess.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools

Mia
Foreo - Luna
Foreo - Luna

Video Reviews & Tutorials

FIRST IMPRESSION REVIEW: Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge by MyMakeupPerspective

Real Techniques: What's happened to the quality? by Natalee Patel

Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge (F.I.F) | First Impression by Chloe Luckin

Top Rated Misc Beauty Tools