April 18, 2014 | 1346 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Miracle Complexion Sponge

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2014 9:35:00 PM More reviews by michellerodgerscts

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

So for the record, I have only used this for a month...it think it's an amazing product, and I will repurchase as needed as long as I enjoy the finish this gives to my foundations. I do however see some of the issues people have with this and I will attempt to speak on those in this review.

I used this sponge with a normal liquid foundation (Maybelline SuperStay and MAC ProLongwear... Garnier BB creme and MAC tinted moisturizer), a mouse foundation (specifically Revlon ColorStay Whipped), and a creme foundation (Dermablend Cover Creme). This foundation worked beautifully with a liquid foundation and creme foundation, it blended the foundation until it was undetectable and still provided amazing coverage. My foundation looked like my skin, which is sometimes difficult. For the liquid, u dotted it on my face, then blended out with a damp sponge. For the creme foundation I applied it to the spots I needed to cover (dark circles under my eyes and any tiny blemish marks that I want to erase) and patted it out with a damp sponge until it was undetectable. It did not do very well with the whipped foundation...I usually put a little on the back of my hand and then use a brush to apply it to my face little by little...so I used the same technique with this sponge...and my makeup was splotchy and took forever to blend out. I should have applied it in small dots all over my face then used a really wet sponge to blend it. After I figured that out it was fine but it still look longer than I usually take on my foundation, which I don't like...it also looked thicker than I like. Also, I think long wearing foundations will stain this product. My MAC pro longwear concealer stained this (it eventually washed out but it took a while), and so did my Revlon colorstay whipped but the other liquid products did not at all. If u are trying to keep the product from staining u either need to use non-long wearing products or wash it immediately. Washing a sponge is about disinfecting it...getting out the bacteria...and running it under hot water to sanitize it...people that are trying to get all of the color that was deposited out the sponge are probably washing it too hard, which is why it is falling apart very quickly.

Also...if using a really liquid foundation (ie Garnier BB cream, or a face and body foundation....make sure your sponge is really wet, and then add the product to your skin in layers if need be...add a layer, let it dry, then add more. If the sponge is too dry it will soak up the product...

I used Tone Body Wash to wash this (that is my hands down favorite makeup cleaner, it's cheap, it works well, rinses clean, and has never irritated my skin when I clean my brushes with it). It washed clean and there was only a little staining, so that was good. I can see how some people will say this will fall apart quickly. It is not a tough as the BB, and the pores are a lot move fine. This means that it will feel wetter, and be harder to clean. When I cleaned this I just rolled it around in my palms and squeezed the water out of it and filled it with water until all of the foundation was out...I did not massage it with my fingers bc I think that will put tears in it over time.

The price is cheap and it applied makeup more flawlessly and quicker than a brush...for that reason I will continue to buy and use...bc of the price point I also think it's comparable to the Beauty Blender...A BB needs to be replaced every 3-4 months with daily use and washing...this sponge may need to be replaced monthly with daily use and washing but it's 1/4th the price. I think that makes it a winner. I have been using the exact same sponge daily for over a month (washing 4-5 times a week) and it's just now starting to get small tears on the flat side....but the rest is perfectly fine. I am more that positive I will get at least another month out of it with similar use before it needs to be replaced.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 5:03:00 AM More reviews by AlisonB

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Finally found a foolproof way of applying foundation, etc.

The shape of this sponge suits me down to the ground and in particular, it is perfect for applying product around my nose and eyes. The straight edge and gentle point is far better than the regular shaped beauty blenders. It is easy to dab on product and to blend it out and can be rolled too if needed.

I put product on the back of my hand and start by dabbing the flat surface of the sponge and then lightly dab it on my face. How sheer a finish you want is so easy with this blender and I use far less product now to get the look I want.

My big tip is that when you wet it, don't squeeze out the excess moisture with your hand. Roll it in a face fannel/towel and the result is perfect. I store it in the little plastic mould it comes in.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2014 1:43:00 AM More reviews by tiny101

I decided to give this product a try when I heard it was a dupe for the beauty blender. The beauty blender gave a beautiful finish to any liquid/cream foundation and was easy to manipulate, but the price tag was certainly steep, so I opted to try this!

[ PROS ]
- Creates a very natural finish for my liquid foundations
- Can be used to sheer out a heavy foundation or build up a sheer one for more coverage
- Does not suck up too much foundation when used wet (which is how it is used best, IMHO)
- Fairly easy to use
- Inexpensive
- Did not leak orange or any kind of dye upon washing (unlike the original beauty blender)

[ CON ]
I got two of these and used them in rotation, but noticed that after washing once, one had lost it's bounciness/shape every time I squeezed out the water; the consistency and feel was almost like a molded piece of wet foam that doesn't return to the original shape when wet! This made it very difficult to use so I had to toss it. Perhaps it was a lemon, but I did feel a little annoyed having to throw it out after one wash. The other one was fine and retained it's shape quite well though! I am still using it on a regular basis now, after a month.

All-in-all, it's a great dupe for the beauty blender, despite not feeling exactly the same in the hand. The price, application, and finish are all better than the other "dupes" on the market. However, because I got a lemon and it wasn't able to retain any shape when wet, I am hesitant to buy another at the moment.

Oh yes, this should be washed well after each use or mold/bacteria can grow. I have always used Dr. Bonner's castile soap and finished it with a soak in rubbing alcohol, which hasn't caused any problems. After squeezing out as much of the liquid as possible, it is good to leave this sponge to dry out completely (elevated on a container in an area with good circulation) before using again to prevent bacterial growth.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 12:26:00 PM More reviews by nrokita

This product changed my life. I suggest trying out all those old foundations and concealers stuck in your drawer that you disregarded before because this sponge will change the way those foundations look on your face. I am a beauty girl on a budget and I cringe at buying a sponge for $20 (aka beautyblender) and this product sells out at most the ulta stores around my area, it is that popular. It actually took me 3 weeks to hunt this sponge down. I highly suggest dampening this sponge for the best results. I do not think I will ever use a brush for liquid foundation again.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/2/2014 8:22:00 AM More reviews by mka87

I was originally using the pink Cosmo sponge but thought I'd throw my hand to this one when I couldn't pick up the Cosmo one in town.

(For reference I use MAC SFF with the sponge.)

This is not the same. So much so it takes a different technique to use it. With the pink Cosmo sponge, I bounced it off my face, whereas with this, I have to swipe it. Due to this, it works more effectively dry as opposed to damp. It took some adjusting in order to achieve it's potential - it must be the shape that is harder to get to grips with. The flat side is the easiest side to work with. The Chapman girls market this as a sponge you can use wet or dry. I would disagree. If you want a long lasting full coverage effect, swipe it (dry) across your face. If you want a sheerer coverage, invest in another sponge.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2014 8:19:00 PM More reviews by YellowSourFruit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I have been using the beautyblender for about a year. I was given my first one as a gift and just loved it so naturally I bought another one when it died. When I had to go shell out $20 for a SPONGE I loved it a little less. I vowed to find a good dupe. This is it. It's amazingly comparable. I love it. It does take a little longer to rinse whe. I wash it but otherwise it's perfect. And the tiny price tag makes it even more perfect. I will never buy another beautyblender.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2014 11:33:00 PM More reviews by Paperfrost

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I really love this little sponge. I own a $50 foundation brush and I like this $5 sponge better. It's really soft and feels...well...like a sponge. That being said, I couldn't ask for a quicker way to put my foundation on evenly and without streaks. I will definitely be buying it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by vwzen81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Let me start by saying that Iíve never used a sponge to apply my foundation before; Iíve been a devout brush user. I was in Kohlís and had a coupon, saw this sponge and thought what the heck; it cost me a whopping $4.20 after the discount. Well, I am now a total and complete sponge worshipper! This sponge is amazing; I use it with my Rimmel 25 hour foundation and it blends it like no brush ever has. This sponge makes it look like the foundation is just part of my skin, like I donít have anything on. The sponge also gives this foundation more coverage than when applied with a brush. I also use the sponge to blend out my undereye concealer; I use the Mac pro longwear concealer and this sponge makes applying it and blending a dream. The sponge applies and blends my foundation and concealer so much faster than when I do it with a brush. So far, my only gripe is cleaning this sponge; no matter what I use to clean it, I feel like itís never clean enough. This is something I guess Iím gonna have to work on and keep experimenting with.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/20/2014 4:30:00 AM More reviews by zerotic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Since my BeautyBlender died a couple weeks ago, I decided to try this Miracle Complexion Sponge out to see if it's as good as the BeautyBlender. Unfortunately, they aren't comparable at all.

The BeautyBlender makes every foundation and every concealer looking flawless on the skin. The Miracle Sponge makes the concealer look quite well, but it's impossible to apply foundation with it. I've been trying it out with my Urban Decay naked skin foundation, and it takes 5-10 minutes to blend the foundation completely, making it look even on my skin. With the BeautyBlender, it doesn't even take 2 minutes.... It's hard to work with and the sponge is really hard and not soft at all. It's much easier to clean it than the BeautyBlender though, and using the flat side of the sponge for concealer works really well - but I won't repurchase this when it's starting to look shabby and not possible to use anymore. To be honest, this is not a good dupe for the BeautyBlender, not at all. They are not similar at all.

PROS
- The flat side is great to use for concealer and it also blends the concealer quite well.
- It's easy to clean and the foundation and concealer doesn't stain much on the surface of the sponge.

CONS
- Unpossible to use for foundation.
- Doesn't blend foundation well AT ALL, takes way too long to blend it out and make it looking even.
- If the concealer I'm using is thin in consistensy, it will suck all the concealer up into the sponge, leaving no trace of the concealer on my skin. Works well with MAC Pro Longwear - but that's a thick concealer. Does not work well with for example Maybelline Fit Me concealer, which is a lot more thinner.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/18/2014 7:57:00 PM More reviews by Caish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the one RT product that i dont like. I havent used the beauty blender but i was using manicare's purple sponge dupe and wasnt minding that and thought i would see how this one goes. I use mac face and body which is water based and this sponge didnt really apply it, it took it off and made it blotchy. It doesnt really work with my nars concealer either. So I'm using the real techniques face brush instead to apply my foundation