Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Miracle Complexion Sponge

4.2

on 2/28/2015 12:12:00 PM

This is the RT dupe for the beauty blender and honestly- it's probably the closest thing to it. The sponge is roughly the same size as the beauty blender when wet though a bit bigger when dry. It's very soft and bouncy but not as bouncy as the original. The sponge definitely soaks up more water and it takes a while for the water to be squeezed out of it. If you wrap it in a towel or paper towel, it works better as the excess water is drawn out of it. Now in terms of the application- it's the same as the original. Soft, dewy and natural finish! However as a warning if you didn't get all the water out that was soaked inside the blender and you applied it right away, your foundation/concealer will be wet and very slippery (it may look nice but it will slide off after an hour) so make sure that it isn't extremely wet still. Cleaning it is just as easy as the beauty blender but foundation will be stuck inside and it does stain it a bit. washing it after every use or every 3 uses is good enough for me. I prefer this one over the original as I don't want to spend $20-$25 for a beauty blender. This particular one cost me $6! So I'm not worried too much about it ripping from constant use (which it hasn't yet and I've had this for 3+ months now) as I can easily buy a new one that won't really hurt my wallet. TLDR; Great dupe for the original beauty blender, soaks up water and foundation easily though. Very cheap at $6 but still performs great!

on 2/27/2015 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I had once bought a cheapie beauty blending sponge from eBay and it was just as porous as the newer version of the Real Techniques sponge people are complaining about... It had put me off as it was absorbing so much product, even when wet. Luckily I purchased the Real Techniques counterpart on Amazon & I must say I must be one of the lucky few to have got a non porous sponge, it blends my concealer like a dream. An absolute staple. Prior to this, I was using my fingers for my concealer but now my concealer looks so much smoother with the sponge.

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Soaks up way too much product, I squeezed the stained part afterwards and globs of foundation came out..for some reason this really grossed me out. Won't be buying/using again.

on 2/19/2015 1:17:00 PM

Not as good as the beauty blender. It says it's good for up to three uses before washing but I don't believe that as being true, I find myself cleaning it after every wash and its time consuming. I don't think it blends out my concealer as well as the beauty blender does. Splurge and get the beauty blender it's so much better.

on 2/17/2015 4:05:00 AM

I came across this sponge about a month or two ago (I think) and I am absolutely loving it. I can't compare it to the original BeautyBlender, but this sponge has made my makeup application so much smoother!

My skin has been acting up lately, drying out due to the products I'm using to treat some spots. This left me constantly frustrated when using my fingers or a brush to apply makeup, as my concealer would look as if "sitting" on my skin; it would leave a sort of flaky film over my skin. So I gave this sponge a go, and I'm really satisfied with how it turns out... It really presses the product into your skin and leaves it looking lovely and dewy and not dry at all.

Looking at recent reviews I've noticed there to be a change in texture; however, the sponge I bought quite recently seems to be one of the older models! Lucky me, I guess. This might have something to do with living in Belgium. Either way, I'll be stocking up in case they make the change out here as well!

As for the price, I believe I paid around 6 euros for it, which is a steal compared to the 22 euros I would pay when ordering an original BeautyBlender online. But if they do start selling the new and less-pleasant models of the Miracle Complexion Sponge over here, I'd probably switch to the BeautyBlender despite the enormous difference in price. It's just such a good application tool! I'm quite sure I'll never convert back to a stippling brush!

on 2/13/2015 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just started using this sponge to apply foundation and concealer. I've always used brushes or just my fingers to apply these previously. It does a great job with foundation, but I was blown away by the results with the concealer. I have dark under eye circles and have never been able to cover them well. When I use the sponge to apply concealer, the circles vanish! I use the flat end for the foundation, and the pointy tip for the concealer. I'm so happy with this product!

on 2/9/2015 9:57:00 AM

I started using this sponge about a year ago. I was blown away at how closely its texture matched the Beauty Blender. It washes well, as long as you're relatively gentle with it, and it lasted me a long time. It also LOOKS like it's soaking up a lot of product, but it's not. I used scissors to cut away about the top 1/10" inch of it, and no product at all was present at that level.

In October or November 2014, I went to Ulta and stocked up on four new Real Techniques sponges. When I opened one of the new ones, I was really disappointed at how rough it was. I've continued to use it because it does the job, but it's no BB. I will probably return the three remaining RT sponges and buy a BB. BBBummer!

on 2/1/2015 6:44:00 PM

I use the older version of this sponge dry to apply my pressed powder (NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Powder) for an even smooth finish. (For foundation, I use a beauty blender.) For that purpose, it does the trick and leaves me with a wonderful, light effect on my skin.

However, I recently picked up a spare as I was traveling & had left this sponge at home. The difference in quality is beyond shocking (see some of the uploaded visuals). The new one is so much more porous, rougher, doesn't bounce as well, just all around disappointing. If I knew how to tell the difference in the box, I would try to buy a back up of the older better versions. But because I can't tell, I will continue using the older version until it breaks down & will look for a substitute at that point.

Pretty poor on the part of the Chapman sisters, very disappointed in this severe drop in quality.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I used to use macs makeup sponge but they seem to be out of stock all of a sudden. My old mac sponge was getting pretty bad so decided to try this one. I use it to apply mac studio fix plus ( the one that comes with the foundation I find to thin). I also use it to blend concealer under my eyes. I was shocked how rough this sponge is! It feels like its exfoliating my face in the process! And under my eyes it's very uncomfortable. I also don't think it gives me very good coverage. I'll be going back to the mac ones asap.

on 1/26/2015 6:47:00 PM

I know there are lots of people out there searching a true duplicate product to the Beauty Blender. Well this is about as close a match as you can find!! To purchase a Beauty Blender in Australia, you will pay over $35 to get one online. This retails for about $15 Australian and is available in a few select places like Priceline. It workes exactly the same as a Beauty Blender and the size and texture are identical, The bonus of this over the BB is the flat part at one end that allows for perfect concealer application. Great value for money!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools

Derma Roller
Mia
Foreo - Luna
the sponge

Video Reviews & Tutorials

FIRST IMPRESSION REVIEW: Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge by MyMakeupPerspective

Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge (F.I.F) | First Impression by Chloe Luckin

Real Techniques: What's happened to the quality? by Natalee Patel