Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Miracle Complexion Sponge

4.2

on 3/24/2015 8:42:00 AM

let me start off by saying that i have been a faithful user of the beauty blender for about 3 years now. i honestly cannot get the same results from any brush ive tried. it is also amazingly easy to use. however, it was getting a bit pricey, so i decided to give this a try.

in terms of makeup application (i use revlon colorstay), it works very well. it blends out foundation like a dream and i dont think it soaks up a lot of product. i would even say that i like its shape more than my beauty blender.

although, this is a bit firmer than the beauty blender, the results are the same as the beauty blender. i think its added density matters in the way that i clean it. since it is denser and firmer, its a bit more difficult to wash by hand than the beauty blender. more squeezing and more water is required. and i think that is part of the reason why it disintegrates faster than the beauty blender. my real techniques sponge lasted me about 3 weeks and my beauty blender typically lasts me 3 months. given this fact, i think their price point is about the same.

i think, to whoever is thinking of buying this, price is not really the issue, maybe the choice between the beauty blender and the RT sponge is which shape appeals to the user more and if a bit more effort in cleaning it would be a deal breaker.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Let me just start with Ė This is my favorite beauty product so far!
Here is the review on my blog: http://inspiremeland.com/real-techniques-miracle-complexion-sponge/

Itís indeed a miracle complexion sponge! The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge claims that will give you a perfect, flawless base for your makeup, who doesnít want that ?

The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge is a 3-in-1 multi- functional sponge:

* Rounded sides blend large areas of the face with a repeated dabbing or ďstipplingĒ motion

* Precision tip covers blemishes and imperfections

* Flat edge contours around the eyes and nose. The shape allows it to get into all the little nooks and crannies around the nose

I never tried the beauty blender myself so I cannot make a comparison, but I used some dupes that I ordered from Amazon, Ebay, but to be honest, they just donít expend that much when you wet them and they are not soft at all.

After this I purchased the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge and I am so pleased with this products, I use it for my foundation and itís seems like itís giving me more coverage than my foundation brush that I was using.

Lately I tried to use this with my compact powder, basically after I applied my primer/ foundation/ concealer I press the sponge in the powder and then press the sponge with the powder all over my face for a light, glowy finish, I noticed that it works better then using my brush as sometimes I tend to take off some foundation when I am using my brush to apply my compact or powder. I also noticed that my foundation stays in place for much longer when applied with this product, I know this because I work 12 hours shifts so the difference was obvious for me. But please note, you have to use it wet, I tried to use this dry as well, but there is a big difference ladies!

I have this sponge for a while now and the only down side is that every time I cleaned it, it started to deteriorate a bit, which was a shame. but itís cheap, therefore you can always get a new one because itís worth and believe me once you try this out, you would not want to use anything else ;)

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the company mentioned in my post neither paid for the product review. I purchase the product myself for personal use unless otherwise noted. My opinion is completely honest and based on my own experience.

on 3/17/2015 10:32:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Have never used a make-up sponge or Real Techniques product before, saw this in Boots and thought the price was not too bad so decided to try it out. I like the way it blends my foundation and concealer but it does absorb the make-up and get dirty quite quickly, but I just use baby shampoo to clean it, which can take a while but it gets the job done. I would say that I prefer this sponge to other foundation brushes I have used in regards to applying foundation smoothly and evenly.

on 3/16/2015 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Because I found that the Original Beautyblender was far too over priced, I decided to give this product a try. At first I thought this sponge worked great. I liked that i was able to pack on foundation without looking cakey. However, after weeks of use, I noticed that the sponge was absorbing too much product. I also noticed that the sponge started to rip and little pieces started breaking off. This is a cheap sponge so I guess it wasn't going to last me that long.

on 3/14/2015 9:36:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

The thing I don't like about sponges is that they soak up quite a lot of product. So does this one, which is why I only use it to finish my make-up. I apply foundation with a stippling brush and then dab it in with a damp sponge. I really like the shape of the sponge. It's easy to get the product in place around my nostrils and under my eyes. The result is very pretty, natural looking and flawless. People have complimented me on my make-up and asked what my secret was. Well, this is it!

As I can't get sponges clean by just washing them by hand, I put them in the washingmachine (in a washing bag of course) at 60 degrees Celsius and it comes out spotless.

In the Netherlands they don't sell this brand in stores, so I ordered from one of the few small webshops that do sell it. I like it so much I've just ordered four more from a US webshop. I hope I won't get one of those wonky ones I've been reading about here..

Edit: My package from the States just arrived! Nothing wrong with these sponges, they are the same as the one I had, not porous, Yay :)

on 3/12/2015 1:16:00 AM

Loving this so far! I had tried everything to blend my Nars foundation and this sponge so far is the only way I can wear it. It's so so soft and I also applied powder and blush after my foundation perfectly!

on 3/10/2015 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I purchased mine at Ulta this year and it didn't came porous.

This sponge blends my foundation and concealer BETTER than my brushes.

on 3/10/2015 7:53:00 AM

This is the only complexion sponge/beauty blender I have tried, som cannot compare to others, but I really like this one! It applies my foundation evenly and gives a flawless look. Works best with full coverage foundation as it takes away som of the coverage. It also blends my concealer really well.
I use it wet, and my only complaint is that I feel like no matter how many time i squeeze it there is always a little more water to be squeezed out, and it does soak up a bit of the foundation/concealer.
All in all I'm pretty happy with it, you get a lot for little money.
(Having said that, I will by the Beauty Blender as well to give it a try (even if its a lot more expensive).)

on 3/9/2015 2:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

When I first started getting into makeup two years ago I started off with drugstore sponges. After I heard all the hubbub about this one I decided to give it a shot. Well, I wasn't that impressed. First off, I was surprised with how rough it felt (that easily changed though once I soaked it in water). I didn't notice the coverage of my makeup any better than when I used my drugstore sponges. The only difference seems to be that this one doesn't soak up as much product (or at least I don't think it does..), and it's a lot softer when I wet it. That said, I'd say it's a decent purchase for the price. I've heard that some of the newer sponges have been a little funky (i.e. super porous, looking rough and like they'll rip any second) and I do believe I received one of these. In any case, I use this with my thicker foundations so I don't end up as cakey faced. And sometimes I like to use it to apply powder since using a powder brush can leave me overly powder faced.

on 3/6/2015 12:14:00 AM

I really like this! I have never used a beauty blender so I can't compare it to that but this is awesome. When you get it damp it expands and is so soft and fluffy. It blends makeup in beautifully and gives you a natural flawless look. I used to use a brush to apply foundation but since trying this I am hooked! Can't believe I waited so long to try it. Can't beat it for the price either! Don't think I will be purchasing a beauty blender since this is all I will ever need!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools

Derma Roller
the sponge
Mia
Foreo - Luna
Baby Foot

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge (F.I.F) | First Impression by Chloe Luckin

Real Techniques: What's happened to the quality? by Natalee Patel

FIRST IMPRESSION REVIEW: Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge by MyMakeupPerspective

Top Rated Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Products