Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Miracle Complexion Sponge

4.2

on 4/25/2015 2:18:00 PM

I picked up a package of two of these at Ulta and they are as good as I've read. Very happy I grabbed these! Once you dampen it, it does increase in size, which is nice. It's a very good sponge and blends foundation and concealer very well. I would definitely buy more of these - without hesitation! I know the Beauty Blenders are supposed to be the best, but I'm not spending that kind of money on a make up sponge. For this price, you simply cannot beat it!! Great find!!

on 4/23/2015 3:21:00 PM

I've heard great reviews on this sponge and a good # of people are saying that it's a great dupe or alternative from the beauty blender. Though I've never owned the beauty blender bc of the price tag, i researched and came across real techniques sponge. Boy was I happy about my purchase! I bought it form Ulta for $10.99-2pk and used my $3.50 coupon. So after taxes I paid just slightly over $8! I was excited to use it so I used it with Maybelline Fit Me Matte and WOW was it just FLAWLESS! The sponge expands and softens up. I use the flat side to blend my entire face, then I use the pointy side to blend around smaller areas like my eyes or nose. It blends beautifully and evens out my complexion. The finishing is just beautiful and natural! I would highly recommend this sponge to anyone!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Man oh man, do I ever love this sponge. It's become a staple beauty product for me. I own two of them, and although I can't attest to their positive performance in comparison to the famous Beauty Blender (never tried that one, not yet anyway), I'm not even tempted to buy the BB because I love this so much.

Pros:

- So inexpensive at $7 CAD. You can buy them directly from the Real Techniques website (I did, and the shipping is SO reasonable for Canada, I think it was like $2), or you can often find them at Winners (Canadian version of TJ Maxx) or Marshalls.
- Blends like an absolute DREAM. It blends better than any brush I've ever had, even better than my UD Optical Blurring Brush. And the blending process is so easy and fast with this.
- Mine has lasted for months and months, through wash after wash.
- It's soft and feels like it's of good quality material.
- Doesn't soak up foundation (but soak the sponge thoroughly first and squeeze it out, because if it's dry, it tends to soak up more product and not perform as well---certainly best used damp).
- The flat edge on it (which the BB does not have) is SO useful for applying liquid foundation to large areas of the face, for applying powder, etc. The small tip at the end is great for blending out undereye concealer, and for smaller areas.

Cons:

- Only one, really. The cleaning method for this can be somewhat hard to figure out at first, at least it was for me. It doesn't clean very well with traditional cleansers or shampoos. I used everything I normally did---baby shampoo, facial cleanser, diluted dish soap---everything that usually gets my brushes and other beauty tools squeaky clean. It did clean it up a bit, but a lot of product remained. It really needs to be cleaned with old-fashioned bar soap. As soon as I wet it and rubbed vigorously (but carefully) on a bar of soap, it was like magic: absolutely squeaky clean, both sponges looked brand new! Definitely requires a solid cleanser (much like how I've heard the BB is much better suited to the bar cleanser than the liquid you can get for it).

on 4/14/2015 11:38:00 PM

I'm happy and sad! ): I don't know what happened but omg..

FIRST OF ALL THIS BEAUTY SPONGE DOES AWESOME RESULTS LIKE HANDS DOWN LOVE IT FLAWLESS
But....
my sponge started to get dirty so I decided to clean it... and omg worst cleaning experience *noting that it was my first wash ever* I cleaned it with some dawn antibacterial soap and luke warm water like the tutorials I've been watching and theirs turn out flawlessly clean! When I cleaned, mine still had some product on it!! I spent 10mins trying to make it all clean and it just still had some product on it! It also started to break and rip omg that was the worst part! And this is only the first wash!! So I feel as if there's no other way to clean it ): wah help

on 4/14/2015 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I use this dry and it provides a very full coverage that is flawless, better than any brush application, easy to use, you can pat it on or spread it over areas and then pat in. I also use the narrow end to apply concealer, and I use the rounded back of the product to roll very lightly into pressed powder and dab onto my nose and this allows the foundation to set and stay on my nose, nothing normally sticks. I have very oily and sensitive skin and I can't say enough good things about this product, definitely want to buy more, for when my current one is still drying after being cleaned. Mine has stained but that doesn't concern me at all, as that's not an issue for me, for the product truly works, I'm not going to bother buying the Original BB as this is HG for me already

UPDATE: I used this today damp as I only washed it last night and it wasn't dry, so I thought it would be a great opportunity to test it out damp; it still applied a full coverage, but I felt it applied the foundation a little patchy between my jawline and cheekbone area which I hadn't had an issue with before with this sponge. It also gave the foundation a very dewy/oily look which I wasn't aware it would do, after setting it as I normally would (definitely needed it today) it was fine but after a few hours I was looking extra oily again. Will definitely be using this dry ALL the time

on 4/11/2015 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Deep Dark, Not Sure

I got this product from a friend as a gift, can i just say the best gift ever!! I have extremely dry skin, if i'm not drinking enough water I start to get dry patches ugh don't get me started. I was looking for a sponge that would glide foundation and create a perfect canvas for the rest of my makeup. This sponge is amazing!! It covers all the rough patches, without being a scratchy product, pretty soft. If you're looking for a sponge that is soft, and gets the job done I would recommend this.

on 4/8/2015 11:17:00 AM

As I lost my Real Techniques expert face brush, I decided to try something a little bit different from the real techniques range. I've tried make-up sponges before, and they have never seemed to work for me, but this sponge is fantastic!
Personally, I don't need to wet the sponge as I find my make-up suits me better with a matte style effect. At only 5.99, I think this sponge is amazing value for money as it's not just a 'one use' thing.
What's great about this particular tool, is that it has all the right angles and points in order to get an even blend across the face, without creating orangey streaks or lines. The sponge is very soft too, so it's not harsh on dry skin.
This sponge is a fantastic alternative to more expensive sponges such as the Beauty Blender as it does the same job.
The only downside to this sponge is that it does tend to really spread out your make-up so that you only have a thin covering left. However, this is to be expected as it gives such a naturally flawless, even coverage. I don't have a naturally great complexion, but I still find that this sponge gives an amazing finish to my make-up routine. To combat this problem, I blend my make-up after each layer and give it chance to set, so I can see how much more I need to put on before I am happy with how it looks
e.g. apply layer of foundation then blend. Then apply a second layer to get the desired coverage.
Don't let this put you off though! I would certainly recommend everyone to give this one a try!

on 4/7/2015 1:49:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

This is a great alternative to the beauty blender. I bought it off iHerb and it was really worth it! Perfect for those who don't want a cakey or extremely heavy finish. Depending on how wet you use this sponge, the product will be relatively dewy on your skin- so top it off with some powder. I've used it for nearly a year now and it's still in very good condition.

on 4/5/2015 6:15:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So heard so much about make up spongers lately and the beauty blender being the popular one but no way was I paying for something I'd never tried....so decided to buy this dupe by real techniques first as its had great reviews.
I have had awful acne on my chin abd jaw line and although its not as bad now its left some red scars....also have dry skin.
I like a full coverage foundation and still a natural as possible complexion.
So onto the review...the sponge feels nice and soft....looks the part I guess...
so I ran it under the tap and it expanded to a good size....I squeezed as much water out of it as I could and also used a towel to squeeze out some more as this sponge holds water a lot.
I moisturised and primed...and began application of my full coverage foundation.....this is not going to give you full coverage at all....it really sheers out the foundation...it feels lovely on your skin...but even stippling it on pressing it into the skin still sheers it out...This would be ok if you had great skin and not alot to cover up...but I prefer the real techniques expert face brush for foundation application. ...that gives me a great flawless cover...
so I used my brush to apply my foundation the next day...and when I was happy with the coverage I used the sponge to dab over my face and take of any excess or brush lines. ...this is how I'll use this sponge from now on....
its actually not bad to blend concealer under the eyes....but for a really good coverage application. ...this sponge technique isn't for me so glad I didn't buy the famous beauty blender first....as I'd have wasted money!
If your a woman who likes a full coverage foundation this isn't for you as it will sheer your base out alot....if your lucky enough to only need a light natural base...this is ideal....if you want something to blend consealer this is good for that....
4/10...I would not buy again....so if you have not tried a sponge applicator before try this before you buy the beauty blender. ...could save you some cash ;)

on 3/24/2015 8:42:00 AM

let me start off by saying that i have been a faithful user of the beauty blender for about 3 years now. i honestly cannot get the same results from any brush ive tried. it is also amazingly easy to use. however, it was getting a bit pricey, so i decided to give this a try.

in terms of makeup application (i use revlon colorstay), it works very well. it blends out foundation like a dream and i dont think it soaks up a lot of product. i would even say that i like its shape more than my beauty blender.

although, this is a bit firmer than the beauty blender, the results are the same as the beauty blender. i think its added density matters in the way that i clean it. since it is denser and firmer, its a bit more difficult to wash by hand than the beauty blender. more squeezing and more water is required. and i think that is part of the reason why it disintegrates faster than the beauty blender. my real techniques sponge lasted me about 3 weeks and my beauty blender typically lasts me 3 months. given this fact, i think their price point is about the same.

i think, to whoever is thinking of buying this, price is not really the issue, maybe the choice between the beauty blender and the RT sponge is which shape appeals to the user more and if a bit more effort in cleaning it would be a deal breaker.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools

Derma Roller
the sponge
Mia
Foreo - Luna

Video Reviews & Tutorials

FIRST IMPRESSION REVIEW: Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge by MyMakeupPerspective

Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge (F.I.F) | First Impression by Chloe Luckin

Real Techniques: What's happened to the quality? by Natalee Patel