December 19, 2014 | 1070 users online

Lip Gloss - Maybelline - Color Elixir (All Shades)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2014 12:51:00 AM More reviews by Heechul

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

These look like the drugstore version of the Dior fluidsticks in my opinion.
Surely, there are many different tones it seems in this range (based off of the few swatches I did w/ testers in the store.) I toted two back home with me: Amethyst Potion, and Mandarin Rapture.

I've test ran Amethyst Potion and it was a creme plum that lasted for quite some time, not necessarily the same tackiness or longevity as YSL glossy stains, however these are less drying. These are probably one of my favourite formulas of the long-wearing gloss product type that have come to be very hyped in the past year or few.

I like these infinitely better than the L'oreal Wet Shine stains, and possibly more than the Dior Fluidstick (as the Dior Fluidstick seems to be a little finicky on my lips.)

The applicator is quite lovely, and leads to a decent application. I like the color range, and may invest in more when they are on sale in Canada, since it seems that $5.79 is the cheapest I could find them at anywhere :/

I haven't worn Mandarin Rapture alone yet, but it was sheer and sparkly so I am unsure how long this would last. I have worn it as a topper for some red orange lipsticks, and that was quite nice.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2014 4:40:00 PM More reviews by skim6926

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a nice hybrid lip product, a cross between a lip gloss and lipstick. Longer lasting than some and more pigmented than most lip glosses.

Pros:
-It makes my lips feel nice and moisturized
-Not overly sticky
-Lasts two to three hours (even after drinking beverages)

Issues:
- I haven't found the perfect color. I purchased two - intoxicating spice and caramel infused and I look better with other lip glosses/lipsticks.
-The intoxicating spice leans towards a burnt red, not too pigmented and the caramel infused is sort of a rosy-brown and these are colors I normally buy but they are just aren't the most flattering

In summary, nice lip gloss but I'm having issues with finding the right color.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2014 3:55:00 PM More reviews by Ellaxox

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If you went down to the drugstore to buy this in Australia, they are $17.95. In other words, an utterly RIDICULOUS price. So I purchased one when it was on sale, in Rose Redefined. And I am in love. It is seriously like Maybelline smashed up a lipstick and put it in this lipgloss tube. It feels really nice on the lips and the packaging is so nice. I would love to purchase more!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2014 4:17:00 AM More reviews by lozzie88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

These sell for $17.95 full price in Australia, which is ridiculous for a Maybelline lip gloss. The lipsticks don't even cost that much. So I waited until it was on sale, and I got it for about $10 (more than enough, it's only a small gloss). The packaging is qutite pretty, and the wand is a nice shape, easy to apply to the lips. I bought the shade Raspberry Rhapsody, whcih is a berry orchid type colour. I thought it would look similar to how Benefits Lolli-tint looked on my lips, a colour I love to wear, but can be drying. It looks more red on the lips than in the tube, but it's still nice. It's not too sticky, and very comfortable to wear. It wore quite alright, for a gloss, similar to the NYX butter glosses if you are familiar. I would buy a few more shades when these are on sale again. They are very pigmented, don't need to build up to a strong colour, they are strong from the start, which is very convenient.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2014 9:01:00 PM More reviews by MapleBlossom2

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have this in Intoxicating Spice (dark brownish red); Mauve Mystique (light-medium plum); Caramel Infused (light nude); and Rose Redefined (light-medium pink). I am about NC30 w/dark hair and eyes, and Mauve Mystique is the most MLBB for me, followed by Rose Redefined, which is fairly pink but not crazy. The Intoxicating Spice for me is a little too dark and too red (but has amazing lasting power), and the Caramel Infused is a little too nude and blah on me. I keep buying them thinking I will find the perfect shade, and so far, Rose Redefined is the one!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2014 11:59:00 PM More reviews by Art4Cara

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm new to liquid lipsticks but I think this class of product is just what the doctor ordered for mature lips! I just picked up one of these, in Intoxicating Spice, a beautiful browned-down red with a bit of berry in it. Although it goes on like a gloss, it settles on one like a cross between a lipstick and a gloss and is very hydrating. The applicator picks up just enough product to for a full application which is nice too.:) A keeper! Nice range of shades too.:)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2014 11:35:00 PM More reviews by starlette17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

These are my favorite drug store lip glosses! I have the colors "Caramel Infused" , a neutral pink.. it's not super pigmented but it is a nice neutral gloss for everyday.. I also have "Captivating Carnation", which is a coral pink (perfect for spring) and I just picked up "Intoxicating Spice" which is a pretty reddish/brown color perfect for fall! I love these because of the plush feeling on the lips, I don't feel like I need a balm and these actually stay on the lips and don't "slide off'. The only thing I am not a fan of is the scent/flavor, it's very odd. But I can get past it because I love the formula!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2014 3:49:00 PM More reviews by 4reviewsonly758

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this product thinking it was a high shine lipstick, by the look of the packaging. When I opened it, I was terrified to find a gloss type-product because I tend to be picky about glosses.
I hate the sticky/goopiness of most glossses. I hate that they transfer everywhere and feel heavy on the lips.

I tried it on and was pleasantly suprises that this product is virtually weightless. It is not heavy, oily or suffocating like most glosses. In fact, I can't even tell I have it on unless I rub my lips together. And even then, the viscosity is just enough to make it wearable and almost natural feeling.

For reference, I am about NC 37 right now, I think - Urban Decay Shade 5.0 and have pale lips. I bought this in Blush Essence which is a great MLBB shade. The next day I bought two more.

I think that these are the gloss version of the L'Oreal stains because I have found nearly identical color dupes that differ only in consistency.

At $9.99, they are at the top of my range for a drugsture product. Honestly, I would not pay a penny more for a drugstore lipcolor. But I feel that this is a great product.

I also feel that if this *same, exact* gloss was made by Tom Ford, Suqqu, CdP or the like, it would be exponentially more popular and people would be on waitlists to get it.

For reference, my HG is the L'Oreal Caresse Lip Shine Stain in Lilac Ever After. And a sadly D/C an Yves Saint Laurent lipstick in a mauve, buildable shade that is impossible to obtain now.

Blush Essence is a mauvey MLBB
Celestial Coral is not really a coral :/ but rather a slightly warm, medium tone rose. Gorgeous! - but not coral in the least. leaves a nice stain on the lips after eating.
Hibiscus Haven is a very blue based pink

I prefer my lip color to be a mauvy tint of MLBB with a light feel, great translucency and consistency. This product delivers.

This product is offered in a good range of shades and I plan to get a few more. The colors don't apply close to what they appear on the tube because of their translucency and slight micronized shimmer, so I suggest that you Google for swatches before buying.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/6/2014 10:48:00 AM More reviews by krberrios

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Bought the Blush Essence. Nice feel, nice color, nice look but love the size of the packaging for my bag. Who says all lip glosses have to come in a long tube? When I first went to purchase, I could have sworn this was tube of lipstick but thank goodness it was the gloss I wanted! Not a fan of traditional lipstick. It was worth the price I paid (6.99) and u will probably try another color later.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2014 6:52:00 PM More reviews by joannascully1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After seeing these on sale at Target last week, I decided to try them out. I am usually a huge fan of Nars pencil lips (both satin and matte) but was looking for something with a bit more shine to it. I find most glosses fade really quickly and are not pigmented enough. This is not the case with these Color Elixir's from Maybelline!!

I bought the colours Intoxicating Spice, Fuchsia Flourish and Breathtaking Apricot. My favourite would have to be the Fuchsia shade. It is a super pigmented hot pink which is amazing. I am interested on trying out their other red shades as Intoxicating Spice just did not work for my skin tone (luckily it suits my mother perfectly!) as I am quite pale with golden undertones, with red hair and it just clashed horribly. I don't mind the Apricot shade, but rate their more vibrant pinks more.

The staying power for these glosses are truly several hours (depending on if you're eating, drinking without a straw etc in that time).
I did actually like the packaging. For such a thick wet gloss I found the applicator brush useful and works best if you use the tip of the brush to outline your lips first, then the wider part of the brush to fill them in. Because of it's staying power, i found this way best to make sure none got on my foundation as it required concealer and more foundation to cover up the pink spot!

They are super thick on the lips! The texture of these is smooth, albeit sometimes a little sticky after you've been wearing it a while, and I don't mind this so much as I'm used to having product on my lips. If you're after a barely-there feel though, these aren't for you.

The price for these glosses is OK here in Australia, but makeup in general is quite expensive. I would probably buy a few more as I feel they are one of the better glosses available that are this pigmented so don't mind paying $25+ for them.

My own drawback for these though is the smell. It's very plastic-y and smells like cheap hairspray to me. I don't notice this when I'm wearing them, just in the application so it isn't enough to make me boycott them, but I still don't like it haha!

Overall 4 lipsticks because of the smell as a drawback but otherwise love these!