Maybelline Color Elixir (All Shades)

3.8

OCTYLDODECYL NEOPENTANOATE TRIMETHYLSILOXYPHENYL DIMETHICONE HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE HYDROGENATED STYRENE/METHYL STYRENE/INDENE COPOLYMER HYDROGENATED POLYDECENE HYDROGENATED STYRENE/BUTADIENE COPOLYMER BIS-DIGLYCERYL POLYACYLADIPATE-2 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL ISOSTEARATE BIS-BEHENYL/ISOSTEARYL/PHYTOSTERYL DIMER DILINOLEYL DIMER DILINOLEATE CETYL DIMETHICONE SILICA SILYLATE PENTYLENE GLYCOL POLY C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE CAPRYLYL GLYCOL PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRA-DI-T-BUTYL HYDROXYHYDROCINNAMATE CALCIUM SODIUM BOROSILICATE PUNICA GRANATUM SEED OIL ALUMINA CALCIUM ALUMINUM BOROSILICATE SYNTHETIC FLUORPHLOGOPITE LINALOOL SILICA POLYETHYLENE TEREPHTHALATE TIN OXIDE LIMONENE ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE ACRYLATES COPOLYMER DIMETHICONE PARFUM / FRAGRANCE [+/- MAY CONTAIN / PEUT CONTENIR MICA CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE CI 45410 / RED 28 LAKE CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / IRON OXIDES CI 15850 / RED 7 CI 45380 / RED 22 LAKE CI 15985 / YELLOW 6 LAKE CI 19140 / YELLOW 5 LAKE CI 75470 / CARMINE CI 42090 / BLUE 1 LAKE

I had the color petal something-or-the-other. It's a very pretty lip gloss, but it is very strongly scented to the point of triggering a migraine. If you're susceptible to getting headaches from strong perfume scents (I would compare it to an overpowering warm vanilla sugar), I would stay away from this!

on 6/18/2015 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is one of those products I expected to be good, yet was a total zero.

First, there's no color payoff. I bought it in the Caramel Infused color, which looked like a rosy bronze in the tube. Wrong. It went on my lips as a light pink and looked like I had applied Vaseline (and the natural color of my lips is light and not very pigmented so just about any color shows up).
Second, it has a nauseating taste and smell. Like I rubbed a fabric softener sheet over my lips. And that taste doesn't dissipate, it stays awful and strong!
This one's going back to the store. Simply no reason to keep it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I honestly do like this lipgloss! I have Blush Essence (which looks so, so lovely and natural with my colouring and I adore the colour) and Hibiscus Haven (which is not my usual colour, but has a summery sort of pop-art look on my fair skin that I quite like). But, as many others have said, the taste is very unpleasant. Before, I had no idea what people meant when they talked about the taste of a lip product as I never noticed such a thing, but Maybelline Colour Elixir has shown me the error of my ways. It's a bitter chemical taste that isn't overpowering but does linger until the tacky glossiness of the Elixir wears away (about 1-2 hours on me, leaving behind a soft tint). The product also has a tendency to feel gloopy, though as I'm not generally a massive gloss lover that might just be my problem.
I will get a lot of use out of this product, but will try to find the same colours from other brands when I eventually run out.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool

Liked this gloss. The formula is amazing. So creamy and pigmented and long lasting. Extremely comfortable on the lips and the colors are beautiful HOWEVER it smells like perfume and the taste and smell lingers, therefore i will not be repurchasing. I really wish it didn't have a scent and these would be holy grail. Highly recommend these glosses if you dont mind the perfume scent and taste.

Pros: Creamy, pigmented, long lasting, comfortable, beautiful color selection

Cons: Smells and tastes like perfume and it lingers

on 5/12/2015 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

After being won over by the Maybelline Color Sensational lipglosses, I decided to give this one a go. I bought the shade 'nude illusion' and I must say I really like it. I'm not normally a huge fan of lipglosses- just don't like how they feel on my lips. Whilst I don't love this one as much as the Color Sensational one, it is pretty damn decent.
It goes on smooth and shiny, the applicator is a good size and with my thin lips I normally don't need to double dip. It's glossy, the pigment is really good and isn't sticky (that depends how much you slather on). However, I find that if I apply it over a different lipstick, the colours start to separate and go patchy- which is why I gave it 4 stars. It also needs to be reapplied at least every hour, but for the price I won't complain too much about longevity.
Other than that, it's a really nice lipgloss and looks great on its own. I also love the packaging, love how it looks like an inverted lipstick :D
Will definitely purchase other shades!

on 5/2/2015 1:45:00 PM

#010 Celestial Coral - rich pinkish rose in the tube; soft coral-pink on my lips

#020 Sgnature Scarlet - rich tomato red in the tube; a good, bold, neutral red on me

#070 Intoxicating Spice - brownish plum in the tube; plummy-brown mauve or muted ruddy brown on my lips, depending on the light.

Product - I am very pleased with this impulse purchase. The texture is smooth and not too tacky and feels very comfortable on my usually dry lips. Color coverage is very good for a gloss, not too sheer but not quite opaque as a liquid lipstick. Wears well for a gloss, with the glossiness leaving first but the color holding fast much longer. It tastes vaguely waxy/plasticky and has a light artificial vanilla scent - not enough to bother me but YMMV.

Comparisons - Comparable product to L'Oreal Colour Caresse Shine Stain, but I prefer the color selection and wear of the Elixirs much better. The Elixirs go on thicker, creamier, more opaque, and also provide better and more uniform coverage and wear; the Caresse seem thin, streaky, and runny in comparison.

Packaging - Short chubby squared clear tube with a teardrop shaped doe foot applicator attached to the silvertone screwtop. The well of product inside is shaped like a slant tip lipstick. I like that you can see the color of the product in the tube.

Overall - Love the even coverage and wear. continued >>

on 3/17/2015 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love love these!! I have the darkest shade, Caviar Couture, which is a sparkly dark purpley colour! It's non sticky, and is VERY moisturizing. I can get away with wearing just this in the cold windy Canadian winter without my lips getting chapped and burned!It has a light flora scent and a soapy taste. My shade is kinda lip line-y but that's to be expected with this kind of colour. It also lasts about two and a half hours on me!

on 3/2/2015 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

The teardrop wand applicator makes it a breeze to apply this product. Its a beautiful gloss that adds just the right amount of shine. I bought the shade Caramel Infused. Has a sweet scent.
The packaging is nice but it's too bulky for those nights when I use a clutch.

on 3/1/2015 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Been using this since it came on the market, and as it's one of the few makeup products that I replace automatically, thought it deserved a write-up. My color is caramel infusion-- nice shine without glitter, very natural looking, flattering, long-lasting color that is also as moisturizing as a lip balm. What more could you ask for?

on 2/17/2015 3:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

These are available in some gorgeous colors. I have three, and love the color that each gives. It's more than a typical gloss - closer to a liquid lipstick, but still very sticky. The packaging is more elegant than Maybelline typically uses, and the applicator is easy to use (although a little weird looking, like a broken doe-foot).. These stay on for a long time and leave color behind once they've worn off. They're better than average and they're cheap, which is an added bonus. My one complaint is that they are among the strongest scented products I've ever tried. It overwhelms my sense of taste and smell, and it does linger. I'm not sure what they were going for but to me it is like a really synthetic version of Fresh's Sugar EDT. It's so bad that I took of a lippie. If you're not sensitive to that sort of thing though, these are fab.

Recommended for Medium Skin