July 31, 2014 | 2009 users online

Lip Gloss - Maybelline - Color Elixir (All Shades)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/27/2014 1:22:00 AM More reviews by chixxle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ewww. Got this in the colour Blush Essence. Wish I could love this lip gloss but I just can't. It tastes disgusting like rose flavoured soap. I do not lie. Every time I put it on (I believe in second... or fifth chances), I have to rub it off. It is grosssss. Otherwise it's really nice. Smooth, glossy, not sticky, nice color, super cute packaging, nice applicator, and feels like lip balm. If you can handle the taste/smell you should totally try this out. So sad I wasted my money cause I'm never going to use this. :(

rated 2 of 5 on 7/23/2014 6:30:00 PM More reviews by SmaugtheMagnificent

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had bought this in petal push last night, when i got home i was excited to test it to see if i liked it. It was hard to get a even color, after many many coats i finally had a nice color. it sure was a nice bright purple, i liked it but it was a bit too shiny for me but i could have lived with it but my lips started to tingle and go a bit numb which scared me. i don't believe that was supposed to happen so i took it off right away and will be returning. so disappointed! i liked the color very well.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 2:14:00 PM More reviews by CupcakeKiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

Amazing drugstore product. Best glossy color for your money. So smooth that the color can slide off a bit (I clean up using a q tip) so I like using a clear lip liner first, but this is seriously like a luxury product. Only downside is I'm not crazy bout the taste. I use "blush essence" and I feel like Elsa from 'Frozen' (I also have long blonde hair always in a side braid hahaha). I got these for stocking stuffers for all my sisters. LOVE!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2014 9:25:00 AM More reviews by Jeng1128

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Although the color I bought(hibiscus heaven)was totally wrong for me, the lipgloss is great. I usually wear pink's but this color was hot pink!! Maybe for someone under 24 could pull it off, but it was too neon for me. But I'm exchanging it for a different color asap.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2014 6:09:00 PM More reviews by maybellinehoarder

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I love the packaging, especially the way it looks like a lipstick! The applicator with the doe tip is wonderful and I win in that department, but I found the overall product sticky, and cheap. It has a nice shine, but it reminds me of the Victoria's Secret glosses. The color I bought, Signature Scarlett, looks bad for my skin tone if the product wears off a little. I'm going to try a new color, but for now I'm displeased with the buy.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2014 5:09:00 PM More reviews by CombatWombat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've purchased several of these glosses over the last few weeks and am mostly satisfied. The clear packaging looks much nicer than the usual drugstore fare, and I have found the diamond doe foot applicator very easy to work with. I did discover that one applicator was curled back over on itself - it was still usable but there are a few quality control issues. The level of pigmentation is moderate to high for a gloss, on par with many sheer to medium lipsticks. Lasting power was somewhat better than traditional glosses - 3-4 hours, less with eating and drinking. The formula faded evenly from my lips and left a subtle stain. The scent is not especially strong, but I am finding it increasingly unpleasant the longer I wear these glosses. I always end up with some of the fragrance/flavor in my mouth, and it reminds me of getting sunblock in my mouth, and feels slightly numbing. Very strange. I'm sure we'd have to pay way more for a fragrance-free version, though.

Breathtaking Apricot: a bright, cheerful, warm coral pink with shimmers. I somehow did not notice when I was swatching in the store that this had shimmers - they are not big, but they are visible and eventually ended up all over my chin somehow. Had I noticed the shimmers in store I would not have bought this color. Too bad, because it's a very cute, summery pop of color.

Mauve Mystique: plum with nude undertones, no shimmer. Somewhat glossier and less opaque than other colors in the range. Goes on a little dark but the color changes, relaxes, and looks much better on me after 10 minutes or so of wear time.

Captivating Carnation: medium neutral pink, no shimmer. A little too pink to be MLBB on me, but a very unfussy, well-balanced color that I imagine many people would find comfortable to wear. Probably my favorite of the bunch.

Signature Scarlet: warm red, no shimmer. I don't wear reds easily, and after I applied this color the first time I thought I'd found an HG. I have yellow and green undertones, but with a fair bit of red on my face and blue eyes, and this color did not make me look sallow or red and splotchy, and it did not make my teeth look yellow. I was thrilled with the result and with the buttery, not quite opaque finish and crisp edges. Perhaps 2-3 hours later, I looked in the mirror again and discovered that this gloss had bled very noticeably from my lips to form a fuzzy ring around my mouth. I looked like I had a ring of chapped skin around my lips. Too bad, as it's such a beautiful color and looks great freshly applied, but I would need a reverse lip liner to make this formula wearable. The only true dud for me.

Caramel Attraction: medium nude, no shimmer. A slightly brown MLBB shade, did not make my teeth appear yellow, would be a great foil to a smoky eye. Unfortunately I only got one use out of this gloss before I lost it.

Glowing Garnet: medium warm to neutral pink, no shimmer. Another easy-wearing rose pink, similar enough to Carnation that you don't need both, although this color is somewhat lighter, brighter, and warmer.

Radiant Raspberry: medium to deep warm pink, no shimmer. This color reads as brighter and more saturated than the Garnet or Carnation glosses, although I think the Garnet is slightly more opaque. Another "pop of color" shade, suitable for a bright lip look.

Overall, I would give these glosses a 3.5. The range of colors is quite sophisticated for the drugstore, and I'm pleased with the coverage, the non-drying formula, the buttery rather than oily glossiness, and the even wear and even fading. I docked points for inconsistencies in quality control - the curled-over applicator, the bleeding red formula - and for the unpleasant taste and weird "mouth feel." I'm pleased with most of the colors and formulas, and will probably be adding to my collection.

As a note: these glosses were relatively expensive - roughly $12CDN at Shoppers, and $10 at Walmart here in nothern Ontario. The price is better at Walmart, but choose carefully as almost every tube I handled had already been opened. I would stock up during a sale at SDM or Rexall, or buy across the border.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2014 3:40:00 AM More reviews by Adeoluwa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm absolutely in love with VISION IN VIOLET. The colour is so bold and it looks amazing on my skin tone (WOC). I get a lot of compliments whenever I wear it and it's become my staple lipgloss. I love that it is extremely pigmented and long lasting. I had it on for about 5+ hours (eating + drinking and no touch ups) and you could still see the colour on my lips! In my opinion, it's a moisturizing gloss and I have no problem at all with the smell. I'm not a huge fan of lip sticks so this is perfect for me.They were on sale recently at Shoppers Drug Mart and I'm in love with the current shade that I ended up buying 3 more.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2014 10:46:00 PM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is plush - a very, very, cushiony, smooth gloss. It feels very soothing and packed with moisture on the lips. I have a neutral pink shade (can't recall the name off hand) and it livens up my natural lip color while adding lots of shine. As it wears it does not get tacky or thicken up. I could see how bolder colors might now wear as well, but I'm happy with the MLBB shade.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2014 10:31:00 PM More reviews by Ashleem44

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this stuff! 👏👏 I have it in Petal Plush. It has quickly become my favorite lipgloss, I find myself reaching for it more often than my NARS Turkish Delight which is a long time favorite of mine. It's incredibly pigmented, long lasting & most importantly in my book, NOT STICKY! I love it! Definitely gonna grab me up a few more colors. Go give it a try ASAP!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2014 11:14:00 PM More reviews by Jxcion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this product! As a student, I don't want to look like a try hard when it comes to make-up. This product is the perfect balance between looking chic yet classy. It goes on extremely smoothly and the color pay-off is great, the best part about it IMO is that I leave for class and when I come back (about five hours) you can still see the color shade on my lips beautifully. Would def. recommend to anyone! The smell isn't that bad, I actually kind of like it.