Maybelline Color Elixir (All Shades)

3.9

OCTYLDODECYL NEOPENTANOATE TRIMETHYLSILOXYPHENYL DIMETHICONE HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE HYDROGENATED STYRENE/METHYL STYRENE/INDENE COPOLYMER HYDROGENATED POLYDECENE HYDROGENATED STYRENE/BUTADIENE COPOLYMER BIS-DIGLYCERYL POLYACYLADIPATE-2 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL ISOSTEARATE BIS-BEHENYL/ISOSTEARYL/PHYTOSTERYL DIMER DILINOLEYL DIMER DILINOLEATE CETYL DIMETHICONE SILICA SILYLATE PENTYLENE GLYCOL POLY C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE CAPRYLYL GLYCOL PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRA-DI-T-BUTYL HYDROXYHYDROCINNAMATE CALCIUM SODIUM BOROSILICATE PUNICA GRANATUM SEED OIL ALUMINA CALCIUM ALUMINUM BOROSILICATE SYNTHETIC FLUORPHLOGOPITE LINALOOL SILICA POLYETHYLENE TEREPHTHALATE TIN OXIDE LIMONENE ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE ACRYLATES COPOLYMER DIMETHICONE PARFUM / FRAGRANCE [+/- MAY CONTAIN / PEUT CONTENIR MICA CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE CI 45410 / RED 28 LAKE CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / IRON OXIDES CI 15850 / RED 7 CI 45380 / RED 22 LAKE CI 15985 / YELLOW 6 LAKE CI 19140 / YELLOW 5 LAKE CI 75470 / CARMINE CI 42090 / BLUE 1 LAKE

on 8/30/2015 3:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I purchased Mandarin Rapture and Vision in Violet, these are considered glosses but they have thicker consistency, they're very smooth and not sticky at all. The finish is shiny and glossy but not in the way that little kid glosses are, but your lips just have a wet look. Also they're very moisturizing they're not like some glosses that just sit on your lips or like the glosses that slide around. They are vivid but only if fully applied, so if you're intimidated by bright colors, just a light swipe gives you a nice sheer color. I wear them as a gradient lip and Mandarin Rapture gives me a nice natural color that way. I would say the downside is they don't last long at all so you will need to be reapplying, but they're part of the lip gloss family so what did you expect.

on 8/23/2015 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm not a 'high end snob', but I will admit I'm not usually impressed by drugstore lip glosses. My DS favorite of all time have been the original Revlon Super Lustrous (now DC'ed and revamped with a lesser quality replacement) and the NYX Butter Glosses. However a lot of the cheaper lines seem to either be packed with glitter, lack pigment, or dry my lips out.

I mainly have nice things to say about Maybelline Color Elixirs. The packaging is cute, the price is okay, and the gloss itself is wonderful. I LOVED the original line, to the point where I went out and bought every shade. A few of them looked god awful on me, which isn't Maybelline's fault. But they were all created equally; decently pigmented, SUPER moisturizing, and medium consistency. These passed my chapstick test, meaning I could apply them at night and wake up with buttery smooth lips (rather than completely smearing off onto my pillow or further drying my granny lips out). Petal Pusher is probably my favorite out of the line, as the light pink shade is properly suited for my pale skintone. There IS some shimmer in these glosses. Which is a con in my book, however upon application I do not notice it. The shimmer does not take away from the moisturizing properties.

Now with all that being said - I have a few cons to whine about. I hate seeing Maybelline release so many limited edition shades for the Color Elixirs. I've fallen in love with a few and had to resort to ebay to track them down.

That's not a big deal. However if they replace the original line with their crappy Iridescent formula, it will be a deal breaker. ***The Iridescent Color Elixir line is VERY SHEER and SUPER glittery!!!*** I'm just warning readers because it is a way lesser quality formula and most don't realize the difference when purchasing.

Loreal makes a very similar product (lExtraordinaire Color Riche Lip Gloss). I prefer Loreal's formula to Maybelline's very slightly. However Loreal's version has less shade pale-friendly options.

These are really nice glosses. I have tried everything when it comes to lip stuff, and very few things make me stop in my tracks and go "dang, that's nice". These made me do that.

I picked up 3 shades at Big Lots for about $2 each so I believe these were limited edition shades. I have Glowing Garnet (medium rose pink), Luxe in Lilac (beautiful cool toned lavender pink), and Almond Aura (natural looking brown).

I just can't get over how nice they are: feel nice on the lips, nice color payoff, and they smell NICE. This sounds stupid, but the only way I can describe the scent is "fancy". It's a sweet floral scent that smells like a luxury product. It's really pleasant, I love it.

They feel so different from other lip glosses. They feel very creamy and almost like a gel. The color seems almost sheer but it isn't, which sounds confusing but that's how it seems. These are great. One of the best drugstore glosses I've tried in the last few years, I would say.

Yes, I'll be buying more.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

It's a very long lasting lipgloss worth the price. Looks like alittle in the tube, but I was surprised. Brush on application,kinda reminds me of Loreal Infallible, but less tacky slightly only. You need the stickiness an tackyneess to last. I have it in light pink. My new Maybelline favys other than colour-sensatioal and the baby lips formulas I luv. It goes over another similar colour pink lipstick, but wearing it alone or not (which I at times do) doesn't matter

on 7/13/2015 6:16:00 AM

I just love how pigmented this is, I just don't like how it is sticky.

I had the color petal something-or-the-other. It's a very pretty lip gloss, but it is very strongly scented to the point of triggering a migraine. If you're susceptible to getting headaches from strong perfume scents (I would compare it to an overpowering warm vanilla sugar), I would stay away from this!

on 6/18/2015 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is one of those products I expected to be good, yet was a total zero.

First, there's no color payoff. I bought it in the Caramel Infused color, which looked like a rosy bronze in the tube. Wrong. It went on my lips as a light pink and looked like I had applied Vaseline (and the natural color of my lips is light and not very pigmented so just about any color shows up).
Second, it has a nauseating taste and smell. Like I rubbed a fabric softener sheet over my lips. And that taste doesn't dissipate, it stays awful and strong!
This one's going back to the store. Simply no reason to keep it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I honestly do like this lipgloss! I have Blush Essence (which looks so, so lovely and natural with my colouring and I adore the colour) and Hibiscus Haven (which is not my usual colour, but has a summery sort of pop-art look on my fair skin that I quite like). But, as many others have said, the taste is very unpleasant. Before, I had no idea what people meant when they talked about the taste of a lip product as I never noticed such a thing, but Maybelline Colour Elixir has shown me the error of my ways. It's a bitter chemical taste that isn't overpowering but does linger until the tacky glossiness of the Elixir wears away (about 1-2 hours on me, leaving behind a soft tint). The product also has a tendency to feel gloopy, though as I'm not generally a massive gloss lover that might just be my problem.
I will get a lot of use out of this product, but will try to find the same colours from other brands when I eventually run out.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Liked this gloss. The formula is amazing. So creamy and pigmented and long lasting. Extremely comfortable on the lips and the colors are beautiful HOWEVER it smells like perfume and the taste and smell lingers, therefore i will not be repurchasing. I really wish it didn't have a scent and these would be holy grail. Highly recommend these glosses if you dont mind the perfume scent and taste.

Pros: Creamy, pigmented, long lasting, comfortable, beautiful color selection

Cons: Smells and tastes like perfume and it lingers

on 5/12/2015 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

After being won over by the Maybelline Color Sensational lipglosses, I decided to give this one a go. I bought the shade 'nude illusion' and I must say I really like it. I'm not normally a huge fan of lipglosses- just don't like how they feel on my lips. Whilst I don't love this one as much as the Color Sensational one, it is pretty damn decent.
It goes on smooth and shiny, the applicator is a good size and with my thin lips I normally don't need to double dip. It's glossy, the pigment is really good and isn't sticky (that depends how much you slather on). However, I find that if I apply it over a different lipstick, the colours start to separate and go patchy- which is why I gave it 4 stars. It also needs to be reapplied at least every hour, but for the price I won't complain too much about longevity.
Other than that, it's a really nice lipgloss and looks great on its own. I also love the packaging, love how it looks like an inverted lipstick :D
Will definitely purchase other shades!

Recommended for Medium Skin