April 19, 2014 | 1991 users online

Lip Gloss - Maybelline - Color Elixir (All Shades)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2014 1:57:00 PM More reviews by scs2dd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

[reviewing shade Vision in Violet]

I liked this more than I thought I would. I picked it up because it's hard to find true purple lip colors in drugstore brands and was especially impressed with the hydrating formula and color payoff. This is one of the few formulas that I don't feel like I have to wear balm underneath, as this does actually feel like a balm. It's not weightless but I don't mind because of the hydrating feel. This particular shade does not settle into my lines in the slightest, but it does bleed, albeit in an even way that does not run only into fine lines. Vision in Violet is incredibly pigmented and fades to an even stain after about two hours of nibbling and sipping (a shorter wear time than I'd like). As it wears down it develops a stickiness that wasn't present for the first half of wear time which is a downside for me. A word about the stain: it's serious. I couldn't scrub it all off even with makeup remover and my Clarisonic and I could still see a tinge of fuscia the next morning.
Overall, this is one of the better drugstore lip formulas and I'll probably buy another shade eventually. That being said, I wish there was a wider range to choose from.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2014 12:39:00 PM More reviews by vic3toriac

I have to admit, I was not one of those intrigued by the advertising for this. Why can't I just layer gloss over lipstick? But yesterday, I was at CVS when I saw this. The color selection was amazing! I eventually settled for 035 Dashing Orchid. Not only am I in love with Pantone's color of the year, the packaging is exquisite. It's made to look as if it were a lipstick bullet! I wore it for the first time today and the doe foot applicatir was perfect: no double-dipping required and it felt just like a balm! I also loved the color! It had the pigmentation of a sheer lipstick with the shine of a gloss! I did notice a floral fruity scent at application, which dissipated rather quickly. Over all, I'm really surprised how much I loved this. I'm definitely buying more shades and will wear it all the time. I love this so much!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2014 6:53:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have the colors Amethyst Potion and Breathtaking Apricot. The amethyst shade looks scary dark in the tube but goes on a nice, not too sheer mauve-brown color on my pigmented lips. The applicator brush is angled which surprised me but gives a good amount of product. The apricot shade was my favorite and gave a good tint to my lips. Both of them had about three hours of wear and were not drying at all. I love the clear bullet like packaging so you can see how much product is left. They were BOGO at my local Ulta so I saved a little money since these are less than nine dolllars each. I want to try more colors.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 9:36:00 PM More reviews by Gossijay

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

These color elixirs are really some of the nicest drugstore glosses I've tried in my life.

About two or three weeks ago, my local Wal-Mart had a month-long sale on these glosses. I had seen these glosses around but I never bothered to try them because I thought they were rather pricey for a Maybelline gloss at $8.99CDN. They went on sale at Wal-Mart for about $6.49CDN so initially I picked up one shade.

The selection of colours actually intimidated me. 20 shades! After some extensive research I settled on 010 Celestial Coral. I loved the colour AND the product so much I ended up buying a second tube of Celestial Coral. A week later I went and picked up 020 Signature Scarlet.

The packaging on these glosses is superb. I love the translucent tube with the product shaped like a little lipstick bullet. It's cute. And the metallic cap and square shape adds a nice sophisticated touch.

The brush is interesting. It's a fuzzy, leaf shaped thing that's angled. Honestly, I prefer the standard doe-foot applicator but learning to use this brush was quick and quite easy. It picks up all the product you need to give your lips a good drenching, no double dipping required.

The smell is strange. It's sweet but doesn't have a pleasant sort of sweetness like the Almay Liquid Lip Balms or the NYX Butter Glosses. It's a perfume vanilla-esque sort of smell. It's not very strong and dissipates very quickly after applying. The taste on these are genuinely gross. These glosses taste like soap.

The formula of these glosses is where they shine. Maybelline advertised them as a lip product that gives you the comfort of a balm, the colour of a lipstick and the shine of a gloss. The comfort of a balm thing is right on.They've got this feeling that I can hardly describe. Creamy and cushion-y when you press your lips together. One dip of the brush is all you need to get this luxurious feeling. They aren't sticky at all! And when you wipe the gloss off of your lips they're really quite moisturized.

These glosses are quite shiny. Two dips of the gloss and you'll have a mirror-like finish on your hands.

Maybelline sort of lied when they said these glosses were hyper-pigmented. Yes, they are more pigmented then regular, run-of-the-mill glosses but you are not going to get the pigmentation of a lipstick here. I've got Signature Scarlet. There is no way to get it to be completely opaque like the model in the ads. There's some translucencey to these glosses, some more so then others.

Now, onto the colours!

010 Celestial Coral: A warm pinky-coral with a cream finish. I can see why they called this gloss Celestial Coral! The colour is truly out of this world! This is such a gorgeous shade and looks great on my NW45 skin. It shows up more pink once it's on my lips but I still love it. One dip and I get colour that actually shows on my pigmented lips; a vast improvement over many other drugstore glosses. This colour just looks good. A nice, everyday pink gloss. It stains the lips too! So once the shine wears down there's still a hint of colour.

020 Signature Scarlet: An orange-based red with a cream finish. I was afraid this would be too bright for my skin but I must confess, it's just right. I was afraid it would be too orange-y too (I think look I look better in deep, berry-reds) but my skin can handle a warm red gloss like this pretty well. It's more pigmented then my other elixir, Celestial Coral. This one is pure drama in a tube and I just love it. This also stains my lips.

In short: these are great glosses and are even better on sale. I love the formula and I really can't wait to try other colours. I've got my eye on Intoxicating Spice, Amethyst Potion and Dashing Orchid. I'd definitely repurchase! I don't want to be without Celestial Coral!

Update (April 18th 2014): The elixirs went on sale again so I snapped up Dashing Orchid. I love the colour and I'm glad I bought it! It's a cool-toned plummy pink with pink shimmers. I HATE lip products with shimmer in them because they always end up feeling gritty and rough but not Dashing Orchid. It's as creamy, smooth and cushiony as the cream shades. Probably because the shimmers are so fine. Anywho, Dashing Orchid is lovely and I have a real Color Elixir addiction (I don't reach for any other glosses but these!)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by bhindhazeleyez

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So this is my favorite drugstore lipgloss formula right now :) The formula is SO smooth and creamy. It feels amazing on the lips and I find it very moisturizing-like a lip balm but with great color. The packaging is adorable-it looks like a lipstick, but it's really a gloss! I like the applicator-the size and the shape makes it so easy to apply. I know some people complain about the smell, but it really didn't bother me. While it definitely has a scent, I don't love it and I don't hate it-I don't really feel strongly about it one way or the other. The pigmentation is great! I have 3 shades right now: Raspberry Rhapsody, Breathtaking Apricot, and Petal Plush.

Raspberry Rhapsody looks like a scary purple color in the tube, but it's a gorgeous berry on the lips. This one is a cream finish without any shimmer. Even though it's not marketed as a stain, I find that this *particular* color (but not any other shades that I have) actually leaves behind a stain on my lips and lasts a really long time on me.

Breathtaking Apricot is probably my most worn of the shades that I have currently. It is a beautiful pinky-coral shade with some fine shimmer. It's gorgeous for spring and summer! This one lasts about 3-4 hours before I have to reapply.

My least used shade that I have is Petal Plush. It's a sheer cool toned pink shade. It also has some fine shimmer. I have decently pigmented lips, and this shade is just too light for my lips (even though I'm very fair skin toned).

Overall, I love this lip product and I can't wait to try more shades! I want to get Caramel Infused, Signature Scarlet, Caviar Couture, and Fuchsia Flourish.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2014 9:21:00 PM More reviews by BEjunkie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay, I bought two of these when they first came out. I'm not even a gloss wearer but the commercials had me so sucked in that the minute my small town CVS had the display set up, I was in INSTANT freak out mode over all of the colors. I chose two (they were BOGO1/2off) and I even had extra bucks so I paid next to nothing. The colors I chose were Blush Essence and Signature Scarlet. Blush Essence is a cool-toned, medium pink with soft white shimmer. Signature Scarlet is a warm-toned, slightly orangey red cream. Both are stunning. They wear beautifully and are a dream to apply. The doe foot applicator is luxurious (reminds me of my Chanel Rouge Allure Lacques) and the packaging is lovely. The smell of these glosses are somewhat floral perfume-y (again, reminds me of Chanel lipsticks) but I'm not put off by it. I actually kind of like it. Taste is an all together different thing for me. I do not much enjoy getting this gloss inside of my mouth, as it kind of tastes soapy. Still -- not bad enough for me to not want to wear them. I generally wear creamy, opaque lipsticks and have a lot of hatred for sticky glosses like MAC lipglasses. These do not peel on my lips (unlike lipglasses) and they don't dry my lips out. They create a little layer of moist, slick wonderfulness that makes me feel sexier than my standard lipstick. I have used lipstick exclusively for the past five years and I think I am going to branch back into glosses. I can't believe I'm even saying that. I love these. I think I'll purchase more...especially the Orchid one, since orchid is the Pantone color of the year now. I love purple anyway.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 7:35:00 PM More reviews by trillium13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't generally like lip glosses, but I have become obsessed with these! I think I have about 6 colors and I'm planning on getting more. The formula is fantastic, and feels really great on the lips. It's moisturizing and stays where you put it. It's definitely a cross between a gloss and a balm. Some colors are more sheer than others. I recommend checking out swatches before you buy, there's a ton of them on the internet. My personal favorite is Caramel Infused; it's the perfect MLBB on my fair cool-toned skin. Overall I think they are more on the sheer side, so if you're looking for a super opaque gloss, these are not it. I even love the applicator, it fits my lips perfectly! I can't rave about these enough, I love them!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by Msumpter119161

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Loved it surprisingly had to re apply but thats not a problem for me because i enjoy applying lipgloss. The darkest color "couture caviar" was my first dark shade of lips ever and its gorgeous. Highly recommend

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2014 12:54:00 PM More reviews by aquaprincess

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this as a present and the formula and color is great. The smell isn't however. The color I got is caramel infused which is a medium rosy pink that looks very pretty and natural. The formula is thick and creamy but not sticky one bit. If I press my lips together and pull them apart, I feel no stickiness. The packaging is really cute and it has a teardrop applicator that picks up a lot of product. The applicator is very soft and cushiony which is nice. They're like feather hairs. It's not drying and the finish is shiny and cream (no sparkles). The scent. It's terrible. It smells like perfume. I don't like the scent of perfume on my lips. It travels into my mouth is tastes very unpleasant. The lipgloss would be 5 stars if it was scented vanilla or unfragranced. So I would not buy this for myself, but will finish the product that I have. Overall it is a great lipgloss if you're not bothered by scents.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/10/2014 8:23:00 PM More reviews by lulu56

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

While the color is pretty, Blush Essence, it is the taste of this that is turning me off, preventing me from buying anymore of these. Definitely not vanilla. More like a rose soap.