September 1, 2014 | 1059 users online

Lip Gloss - Maybelline - Color Elixir (All Shades)

rated 2 of 5 on 8/27/2014 9:24:00 PM More reviews by missmajestic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I purchased this because I'm fairly obsessed with lip products. Though I use them rarely, I have an astounding collection! I prefer glosses and I'm always searching for that one product that is going to be my holy grail. I was hoping this would be it. It is not. Let me explain.
I picked the Nude Illusion and Breathtaking Apricot. I absolutely love the colors. The Nude Illusion is the perfect nude gloss in terms of color. It's just a hint of nude and makes my lips look juicy. The Apricot is more of a pink coral, but still, absolutely a beautiful shot of color on my lips. And it leaves them feeling so smooth and not sticky at all. BUT. The smell and flavor are disgusting. I wish the ingredients had been listed on the product (I know, I should have done more research on it), because it smells and tastes terrible and as soon as I had it open and close to my lips I could smell an overwhelming stench of rose. I put it on anyway, hoping that maybe if it just smelled like it, I could get over it. NOPE. Even applying it carefully, my sense of taste was immediately overwhelmed with the taste of rose. I felt like I had taken a shot of perfume to the mouth. Gag. So. If you can get over your entire mouth tasting like you accidentally sprayed perfume in it, then you may just love this product. Sadly, I cannot. Rose is one of my least favorite fragrances and I can't stand products that taste like perfume. Why the hell don't cosmetic manufacturers use some sense and realize nobody wants their lip color to leave a nasty, overwhelming perfume taste in their mouth?
I will likely be returning this product. Gross, Maybelline. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2014 9:41:00 AM More reviews by loveheartlove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

In Australia this product is not at all cheap - however, the product itself is one of the best I have tried. Even though the price is steep, I will be buying more colours in this range as they are absolutely gorgeous.
Why do I love this product? Firstly, it goes on so smoothly....not in that sticky lipgloss kind of way, but in a silicone-smooth kind of way that makes you want to smack your lips over and over. Secondly, the colours are wonderfully pigmented and one swipe gives you all of the colour you need. Thirdly, the smell is absolutely heavenly - some have described it as floral meets vanilla...however I picture it more as a turkish delight kind of scent and I can't get enough. This lip gloss is wonderful and I will definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2014 10:16:00 PM More reviews by Shanplum

I am a long time lip gloss loather - I hate stickyness, not a fan of shiny goopy lips but this is a gorgeous product - similar to the only glosses I can tolerate (Avon Glazewear) the same siliconey smooth texture which has opacity and shine but stays where you want it - I have nude illusion - a gorgeous very neutral nude shade looks good on me even without a liner for a casual day lip. I still have to wear my hair up with this product as I live in a windy climate but I really enjoy its mostly non stick texture - this is almost like a vinyl finish it sort of sets and stays put for a good couple of hours unlike any other gloss/liquid lipstick I have tried before. Also love the slightly floral slightly vanilla scent/flavour. Feels so nice on and isn't drying at all!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2014 11:10:00 PM More reviews by Gaijin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love the packaging of this, you can clearly see the color since it's clear, and the colors it comes in are gorgeous. I got Signature Scarlet, a beautiful red and Luxe in Lilac. The pigmentation was great, the wand to apply it is a breeze to use and comfy on the lips. The Luxe in Lilac shade was one of the only Lilac shades that stayed true to color on my lips instead of warming up into an orange shade due to my skin tone, like so many other glosses I've tried have done in the past. It was incredibly shiny and lasted a long time on my lips.

However, the smell and taste are awful, and it didn't matter how careful I was with the application, the gloss always somehow migrated to where I could taste it. So unfortunately I won't be buying any more due to the unpleasantness of me having to randomly spit out the nasty flavor.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2014 6:17:00 AM More reviews by searchanddestroy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love! Reminded me of MAC's creamsheen. Great colour selection. Some with shimmer, some without. Not very pigmented, but smooth and creamy. Good choice for someone wanting some colour but not a lipstick wearer. Definitely picking up a few more shades.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2014 11:15:00 PM More reviews by Kerae

I wish I could love this lip gloss, but the taste/smell is too overpowering. The colors are beautiful though.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/13/2014 3:12:00 AM More reviews by Giginessa13

Maybelline Color Elixir The next big thing for lips is the liquid lipstick. The idea is to have a perfect marriage of color, comfort, and shine. After testing out L’Oreal’s Colour Riche Extraordinare and Golden Rose Cosmetics’ Luxury Rich Color Lip Gloss, I decided to try Maybelline’s Color Elixir. Considering Color Elixir came out before the L’Oreal and Golden Rose versions I was curious to try the originator of this trend. Maybelline describes the Color Elixir as, “The color of a lipstick, the cushiony care of a balm, and the glass shine of a gloss”. The line consists of 20 shades which range from natural shades to colors so intense they punch you in the face. Unfortunately the softer, more flattering tones such as “Rose Redefined” and “Mauve Mystique” have very little staying power. They looked amazing when first applied, but within 20 minutes they were but a faint memory. This was a little disappointing because it didn’t disappear after eating or drinking, it was just after 20 minutes of purely existing. I decided to exchange the Mauve shade for something with a little more kick, so I opted for “Vision In Violet”. This color is so pigmented, but it is way too much! I think it would be amazing for deeper skin tones but for me, not so much. I felt like a Bratz Doll. After barely slicking on one coat of this purple madness I blotted it down to a stain. It was much prettier but all the moisture benefits were erased so it just felt like I had paint on my lips. It smelled like paint too. Now let’s talk about the smell. Oh, the smell! Many bloggers have described this lip product as having a “soap” aroma. I would describe it as a strong, chemical scent and I think it actually gave me a headache. The Color Elixir experience had me feeling like Goldilocks. I couldn’t seem to find a shade that was just right in terms of something which is both flattering and long lasting. I loved the “Rose Redefined” shade, but the awful scent lingers longer than the actual color. I suppose I will just stick to my other liquid lipsticks from Golden Rose Cosmetics and the L’Oreal Colour Riche Extraordinaire line. 💋💋💋

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2014 2:29:00 PM More reviews by mrsb622

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I have caramel infused and vision in violet. I love them both. They weren't sticky and very pigmented.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2014 12:35:00 PM More reviews by suzata86

so the one i am going to write about is Captivating carnation, very pretty color indeed. hmmm the bent applicator is easy to use. it does have a faint floral scent that disappears in a while, and tastes a bit weird " buttery" kind. i love my lip product without taste and smell. the gloss is a good one though, shiny with a hint of color and does make your lips look fuller, color stays on, feels good on the lips and if you have a dry lips then well, this does moisturize too. over all its a good product.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2014 9:34:00 PM More reviews by HunnyBear12234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like these. The marketing claim that it is a hybrid product of a lipstick, gloss, and balm seems accurate to me. The color is pigmented and shiny, and it feels moisturizing on the lips. I like that they are not too sticky like a lot of other glosses and they feel nice on the lips. They do not apply perfectly, the color goes on unevenly but that is an easy fix. There is a strange scent to the product...I can't decide if I like it or not. I guess for the most part people will either love the scent or hate it. Despite the uneven application and scent, I have bought multiple colors from this line and plan to buy more. They are a nice product, inexpensive and look great on.