July 26, 2014 | 1017 users online

BB Cream - Maybelline - Dream Pure BB Cream

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2014 4:11:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

Background info: skin is combination, dehydration-prone and can be sensitive to fragrance ingredients (farnesol, lavender etc). In terms of colouring, I have warm golden yellow/olive undertones and am currently around NC35-37ish in MAC (in other brands I wear: Revlon ColorStay in #350 Rich Tan or Nearly Naked in #200 Warm Beige, Maybelline Fit Me in #230, CoverGirl TruBlend in M4, NARS The Radiant Cream in Stromboli , L'Oreal True Match Lumi in W5, L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB in Medium, Bobbi Brown in Warm Natural, UD Naked Skin in #7)

Initially I bought Medium - but I found this seems to run lighter than the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB range, and is also a bit higher coverage and therefore less forgiving. The Medium on my skin was super ashy, pink, and made me look like ghostly, and even worse in photos (a weird halo of pink, pink, pink, yuck!) I went back to the drugstore and there was no Medium-Deep (although I have seen it online) so I picked up Deep and mixed both together for a match, which was ok, still a bit too pink and not yellow enough. Also the deep is not even that dark so I think the shade range here isn't that great for medium/tan to deeper skin tones. I also dislike that it tends to veer on the pinkish-grey side, which adds to the ashy and unnatural look on my skin.

Even with the Medium/Deep mixed, I had to use a bit of MAC's Careblend powder and bronzer on top to make it look a bit less pink. Colour mismatch aside, this is easy to blend and apply and has a satin-matte finish with light coverage. It does unfortunately transfer very easily so may require powder depending on how long you plan to wear it and your skin type. Even when I used powder it would last max 5 hours. It also made my skin feel uncomfortably dry and itchy during the day. I normally use BHA (salicylic acid) products, so I don't think it was that but rather some other ingredient, possibly the kaolin clay.

For my skin, this didn't work out. I have other TM's/BB's that work way better and suit my skin. However - I don't think it's a terribIe product - has nice light coverage, feels lightweight, is slightly buildable and if you have oily/very oily skin and fit into the neutral/leaning pink undertones and limited shade range, this may work better for you.

Ingredients:
Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (2%)

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Isododecane, Glycerin, Diisostearyl Malate, Kaolin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, PEG 9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone/Polyglycerin 3 Crosspolymer, PEG 10 Dimethicone, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Chlorphenesin, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Acrylates Copolymer, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Aluminum Hydroxide, PEG 9, Dipropylene Glycol

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2014 1:43:00 PM More reviews by libbyfranc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my first BB cream, and something I bought to replace my discontinued concealer I had been using for the last few years. I gotta say, i LOVE this stuff!! ^_^ I was a little skeptical at first, but so glad I tried this! :)

I have very acne prone skin, so I can only use skin makeup that has salicylic acid in it (if it doesn't have the acid, I'll break out). My revlon colorstay blemish concealer with salicylic acid was being phased out, and it was getting harder to find online for a good price, hated that i coulnd't find it in stores anymore, the other colorstay concealer broke me out, yada yada. I knew it was time to find a new skin makeup. "Ohhhh here we go again" I thought, lol. more trial and error, I'm gonna break out for months. I saw this advertised on TV one day, and was excited to hear it had salicylic acid in it! :) i'd heard the hype about BB creams, but was scared to try them since I'd heard acne prone skin reacts badly to them. Not to mention Maybelline's skin products have broken me out in the past, so I just stayed away from them (love their eyeshadows, though :P). But I though what the heck, why not give this a try? Only $7, cheaper than my colorstay. Worst case, I get a breakout and just clear it up and start over.

I was really surprised at how well this product worked out for me. :) I got the lightest tint they have, and it matches pretty well (just a tiny tiny bit orange, but it blends in and is not noticeable at all once it blends). This formula is very smooth and creamy, I like that :) Much better than the dry colorstay. I tried something new and blended this with my fingers instead of my beauty blender (I was told fingers are better for BB creams), and it blended smoothly and easily. (I don's miss washing out my sponge after each use. I hate doing that, what a hassle, lol). I even used it for my undereyes and it works pretty well. I will say that this light coverage, so it does not cover as well much as my colorstay concealer did, but this actually works out- more on that later :P (the coverage is buildable, though, and I use a colorstay pressed powder over this to set it and give a little extra coverage).

Even after just one day... this actually improved my skin tremendously!! ^_^ not only did my acne improve some in just one day, but my skin actually felt smoother, more hydrated, and less pore/scar marks visible! Best of all, NO NEW ACNE! lol. (which is what I was initially expecting with this product). I wont need the heavy coverage once my skin clears up (which it's well on its way to doing), which is why light coverage will work for me in the long run. :) This stuff does not get cakey at all, even with a setting powder on top. It lasted pretty well, too- wore it for about 4 hours with only a tiny tiny bit that settled a little in my dimples (because I was smiling and laughing a lot while wearing this, lol). But you know what? It was easily blended right back in with a finger tip! no sponge required! :P

My routine is cerave moisturizer first, then the BB cream applied with fingers. Colorstay pressed powder on top of that applied with a kabuki brush, and then a light dusting of ELF's HD powder in sheer (also with the kabuki) to finish with an airbrushed look. :) Light and easy!

My 1st favorite thing about this BB cream is the 2% salicylic acid that makes my skin happy. My 2nd favorite thing about this is how lightweight it feels!! By the end of the night, I actually forgot I had it on and had to remind myself to remember to take it off before bed! :D I've NEVER had a skin makeup that felt that light before (and thought it was not possible, lol). Some people were disappointed that this BB cream did not have SPF in it (which I guess is standard with BB creams), but i'm ok with this since I don't ever go in the sun. (I like to keep my skin as pale as possible, so I rarely go out in the sun, if ever. You achieve the porcelain doll look by staying out of the sun :P).

Maybelline really surprised me with this product. so glad I gave it a try. :) And it's cheaper than my colorstay concealers all put together (the blemish and undereye), and much better feeling on my skin. Love that this BB has the salicylic acid in it that I need. :) Doesn't dry out my face, only makes it better. :P Definitely repurchasing (already bought a backup tube!) The only gripe I have about this product is that I wish it had more in the tube :P I think I've found my new HG skin makeup! ^_^

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2014 12:10:00 PM More reviews by Tinevw00

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually used the Clinique BB Cream in Shade 3. I rant out and i work in car sales so i am in the sun ALL day. I figured ok i need that sunscreen. I went to Walmart and saw this, now i usually veer away from drug store brands. Not knowing what color i am buying freaks me out. I paid $8 if that so i figured id try it. I have been getting breakouts lately which i never do but i recently moved so the heat here is something i am not used to. Long story short i actually really like this product. Its long lasting and does not go on so shiny like the clinique bb cream. Also, it isn't as thick so it feels lightweight. I purchased the medium deep because for summer i like to be tan. I will buy this again. I do recommend this. Oh i forgot to mention i did use powder to set it and bronzer as blush. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/23/2014 11:21:00 AM More reviews by Sarahjeeezy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My friend recommended this for me since my skin is very acne-prone and oily. I never had used any foundation or anything to cover up my face, so I thought why not? I used it the first day and I LOVED it! My redness and oily skin had disappeared that day and I was excited to take it off and see if the 2% salicylic acid did it's job. I didn't see any changes so I decided to use it for the next 2 days. WORST IDEA EVER! My skin was just about ready to clear up after about 4 month of dealing with acne, and this product brought it back and worse! My skin was just pimple after pimple after pimple and even now after five days the pimples are still growing. Hope this helped, but it also might be just because my skin is so oily and very acne-prone, keep that in mind!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2014 5:39:00 PM More reviews by Aznmakeup

My favorite drugstore bb cream! And way better than the first bb cream maybelline came out with. Targeted for oily combo where the first bb cream was targeted to dry skin. I have acne scars and it doesn't cover them up completely, but blurs them out a little bit while evening out my skin tone. I have oily skin and it keeps me matte for about 3-4 hours with a setting powder. It lasts a very long time, haven't seen any improvements on my skin yet (it does have acne medication) but that could be because I don't use it everyday. Only con is the shade selection

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2014 4:24:00 PM More reviews by TheGingerSnap

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was in the search for a good BB Cream and after doing some research I decided to give this one a try.
The availability of this product is great. You can find it at pretty mush any drug store/market.
I bought the lightest shade available in this product, but it was still far to dark for me. It oxidized on my skin and became very orange colored. Though, my skin is more pale than most, the level of oxidation was surprising. It was unwearable due to the coloration difference.
Also, this BB Cream caused my skin to break out, which was a complete deal beaker. If you have sensitive skin, use caution.
In the end, I found a BB Cream from a different brand that is much better suited to my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2014 3:41:00 AM More reviews by johnnsmithh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been trying to decide on 1 bb cream to buy, this had the highest review so I decided on this. It is the perfect colour maybe a little bit dark (I bought the light) but during summer it will match my skin perfectly.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2014 12:35:00 AM More reviews by Andtaylorr

Love this bb cream! I have really oily skin and I wore this all day in the sun and had water misters go onto my face and it didn't streak, smudge, or rub off! It looked amazing. The coverage is build able to sheer to medium coverage.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2014 12:17:00 AM More reviews by juliackendall

I recently stopped using foundation. It was a huge change for me. I decided to swap my foundation for some kind of BB cream, and kinda bought this product on a whim. It's gentler on my acne and doesn't make me break out. In fact the texture of my skin has improved. The coverage could be better, but with a good concealer it's perfect. Before this product I was using a foundation that supposedly was good for acne. I noticed a huge difference in my acne once I used this BB cream. This product won't get rid of your acne, but it certainly won't make it worse, and it gives your skin a little boost I think. All in all this is a great product!! So happy I made the switch!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2014 4:50:00 PM More reviews by fierymermaid

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I went to the store to buy more of the regular Dream Fresh BB, and saw this one. Salacylic acid? Since I'm an adult with the skin of a 13 year old, I figured that could help me out, and I tossed it in my basket without a thought.

However, heartbreak at home: I realized this didn't have sunscreen in it. Bahhhh, isn't that one of the biggest selling points of these BB creams? I loved the original Dream Fresh BB because I could carry it in my bag and use it as my face sunscreen for summer days. Dream Pure BB doesn't offer that ease of use; I'm back to having to layer multiple items (sunscreen and Dream Pure BB). To me, this product defeats the purpose of a BB cream--ya know, only having to put one product on your face (other than powder, if you want). UGH.

Other than that problem (which to me, is a deal-breaker for repurchase), the formula is good. It is definitely thicker than the original Dream Fresh BB, and--in my opinion--has better coverage but still feels like happy nothingness on my face. I saw some reviews saying this was orange, but I did not have that problem...then again, I don't use a whole bunch of this product. Maybe if I slathered a lot on, I'd have a problem? Dream Pure BB lasts decently for the day (6~8 hours) as long as I'm inside; I haven't tested it outdoors for long amounts of time, but it did fine during a 40 minute afternoon walk in the Texas summer heat, so there's that. I'm not entirely sure it's helping with any acne I have, but I will say it's not hurting the problem, either. My face has continued with its own mildly hateful agenda, irregardless of the product.

If it were wintertime and the days were stuck in perpetual cloudiness, I'd probably have no problem with this. To me, however, BB cream = lazy day make-up. An included SPF is essential for lazy summer make-up here. If you are the type of person who has ill reactions to sunscreens, though, then this is a stellar product to use! For my personal uses, it just didn't fit the bill, though. Not at all a bad product, though.