August 30, 2014 | 915 users online

Treatments (Face) - Garden of Wisdom - Natural Majik Green Tea HydraGel

rated 5.0(1 review)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2013 3:52:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Good antioxidant serum: the main ingredients being green tea and oat extracts, and caffeine, in a liposome base. A dark cream to yellowish colour, somewhat opaque, cream-gel in texture. Smells of green tea; no added scent.

PURPOSE:

As a heavy-duty antioxidant sunscreen-booster; I first tried this out as I was looking for a cheaper antioxidant serum to replace the Topix Replenix Power of Three serum. See JoshuaP and his notepad for further details on using antioxidant serums for sun protection...

APPLICATION: on skin all over: eye area, face, neck, throat, hands, arms, rest of body--all areas that are exposed to sun, plus some that are covered up but right under The Glare From Above (shoulders, upper arms).

Applied in the morning after washing. Followed by moisturiser (plain oil) and sunscreen. When using this, I often mix it in with GoW Matcha Green Tea HA Serum (ratio of around 1:2 Majik GT:Matcha).*

I also just use the Matcha serum alone, in damper weather (my skin gets very dry with HA otherwise). For more on it, see its product review(s): http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=164192

Colder or drier weather, drier and/or more reactive skin: GoW oat serum.

COMMENTS:

Have used this for a short while now: long enough to be able to say there's no irritation or clogging with it (i.e. more than 6 weeks). I like it fairly well so far. This feels (on my skin, anyway) very like the Power of Three serum; it does have a similar base, and several functional ingredients in common. Both companies are cruelty-free.

Differences:
---Majik GT is less than 1/3 of the price of Po3
---Po3 has resveratrol and hyaluronic acid, this doesn't
---Majik GT has oat extract, and Po3 doesn't; all things oaty are ace on my skin (dryish, eczema occasionally), but NB not on all skins.
---Po3 has other soothing ingredients: cucumber and chamomile extracts (inc. bisabolol); but NB chamomile extracts can irritate, worth looking out for if you have allergies (especially severe) to any plants in the ragweed family.

Majik GT is nice, feels pleasant, sinks in straight away. I didn't find it immediately drying--unlike many serums on my skin--but on the other hand, I didn't find it (or indeed the Po3) particularly hydratingly skin-plumping.

My compromise: mixing Majik GT (for its green tea and oaty marvellousness) with one of the GoW hyaluronic acid serums, the Matcha Green Tea HA Serum.* If needing more moisture: the GoW oat serum.

The Majik may be helping sunscreen to work by adding that antioxidant layer underneath. MAY, that's all: I can't honestly say more than that.

I haven't done proper scientific testing so can't give you side-by-side results for antioxidant protection on skin. In that while I haven't burned this year, or seemed any more wrinkly, I've also used sunscreen, clothing, hats, sunglasses, etc. so couldn't claim any one of these factors to have been the principal one in protecting skin. And I haven't done good sample testing, double-blind with controls.

INGREDIENTS: Green Tea Infusion, Liposome Base (soy based), Green Tea Hydrosol, Oat Beta Glucans, Caffeine, Cosmocil CQ, Cellulose Gum, Geogard

Garden of Wisdom product information: http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/8295308/9037512.htm

$5.90 / 0.25 oz
$18.60 / 1 oz
+ shipping: I'm in Canada and usually get enough GoW stuff to fit in a Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope, so $12.95 for 4 lbs. That takes somewhere in the region of 1-3 weeks, depending on time of year and our lovely friends at the border and in Canada Post. For other international locations, that's $16.95; US rates are lower, being domestic... See here for full information: http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/shippingpolicies.html

FOR COMPARISON: TOPIX REPLENIX POWER OF THREE SERUM

INGREDIENTS:
Purified Water, Caffeine U.S.P., Sclerotium Gum, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Polyphenols, Sodium Hyaluronate, Resveratrol, Bisabolol, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Chamomilla Recutila (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Glycolic Acid, Polysorbate-20, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol.

$62.00-68.00 for 1 oz
often with 20% off at various etailers, bringing the price down to $50.00 or so.
+ shipping if you're in Canada or elsewhere outside the US: add US$15.00 - 40.00 (bah humbug)

* I tried some other ratios, that one seems to work out best for getting / not reducing excessively the full hydrating effects of the Matcha serum. The reason I do this is to add a hydrating layer to skin. My skin is dryish and dehydrated, irritably, damage-prone (it's thin), and has had on-off eczema all my life. This skin works best with layers of hydration and moisture slapped on top. By "works best" I mean: I don't feel anything and can get on with life; skin doesn't flake, split, crack up, feel tight, and hurt.

GoW MATCH GREEN TEA HA SERUM INGREDIENTS: Distilled Water, Matcha Green Tea, Hyaluronic Acid 1% (bio-engineered source), Optiphen

Garden of Wisdom product information: http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/7436406/7793129.htm

PRICES:
$ 4.85 / 0.5 oz = good size sample, probably around 2 weeks' worth with generous use
$12.90 / 2 oz = full size continued >>