November 23, 2014 | 1196 users online

Top/Base Coats - Christian Dior - Gel Coat

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2014 12:41:00 PM More reviews by Popinoslo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've found that if I don't use this the nail polish will wear off faster. With this my nail polish stays on for up to a week. I also like the feel of it. And it dries fast.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2014 6:41:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

This topcoat dries almost immediately to the touch and has a long-lasting shine. The brush fans out and spreads the top coat evenly. I use two coats and my manicure looks good for at least one week.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2013 11:02:00 AM More reviews by Jams19

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Trying to move away from Gel manicures and tried this top coat. Very happy and surprised! Dried very quickly TO TOUCH but still give it some time before putting on gloves.....lasted much longer than any other manicure I have had.....really good product. Worth the mine!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/18/2013 8:57:00 AM More reviews by goodie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Utter disappointment. 2 days! Chipping on 5 fingers. I will redo tonight and see what "take two" does. They are still glossy looking, but pretty badly chipped. :(

Update: after 4 attempts at making this work, I have to say it doesn't. Chips in 1 day. It's just not working for me. I've tried it with 3 different brand of high end polish.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2013 6:39:00 AM More reviews by 7Out7

The first reviewer for this product experienced "shrinkage" the day after using this product over her manicure. I did too. I noticed some premature tip wear and a few layers near some of the cuticles had pulled away, leaving the nail polish shade looking uneven. My routine was base coat- two or three shades of polish - Manicure Extender - Seche Vite for quick dry. Next day, this top coat was applied.

I tried it again but this time applied it over dry nails, before using any other top coats. The following day I had no shrinkage or tipwear whatsoever. Maybe that's the key. So, it's base coat - two or three shades of polish - let dry several hours (or overnight) and then use this topcoat. Voila! No next day Seinfeld experience with shrinkage.

The result was a manicure with depth, if that is the right word to use. I noticed high shine too on all of the colors I tried with it. The overall look is the squishy one you get from gel manicures, but this one removes with no extra fuss; it comes off like any topcoat when acetone hits it.

If you use this exclusively, then you won't need Seche Vite anymore. Normally, I use Barielle's Manicure Extender the day after a manicure and then again every other day. That extends the life of a manicure plus it re-invigorates a color. I tried ME over this Dior and frankly, didn't see that it made the nail polish any shinier. It stayed shiny without any assistance.

I have gotten at least 5 full days without a chip, nick or tipwear with this product. I have gone as much as 8 days with it looking pristine, but by then I'm either tired of the shade or it has grown too far from the cuticle; I can't stand a huge gap there.

Bottom line: if you are willing to cough up the outrageous sum of money required to own this product, it does perform admirably, that is, if you figure out how it will best work on you. I have for me, but we're all different. Try it my way if you're getting tip wear or shrinkage.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2013 12:32:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

HG topcoat for me! QUITE expensive, but it's worth it for me (I had to hunt it down, it's been sold out every at Sephora store I visited). I finally scored the last bottle at one store, unhappy that the box was a ittle tattered but the product inside was unused (clean bottle neck).

The consistency is viscous & a little bit thick, so application needs to be mindful more so than with my usual quick-dry topcoats. I apply this over a fully dry manicure (I think that's the instructions) rather than wet polish, which is different than what I'm used to. On dried polish it itself dries faster than I expected (about 10 minutes rather than the 1 hr or more that I expected), it dries to a rock-hard durably shiny finish that doesn't dull & it (thank God) doesn't bubble as long as I apply it patiently - if any bubbles form at all, it's b/c I rushed my application process & even then any bubbles were so surprisingly tiny as to not even be visible enough to ruin my manicure (however, visible with 10X magnifying lens, lol, I had to check to make sure). I had used Nails Inc Gel Effect (fairly new) and SH Hard As Nails Powerful Acrylic Gel (clear blue bottle) and SH Triple Strong (green bottle) which all have that nice thickness which I prefer in a clear polish BUT they all bubble massively & ruin my manicures, so I had to stop using them.

The Dior brush looks ordinary in the bottle but flares out nicely on the nail - it is flat but not giant like the one in Dior Nail Glow (transparent pink polish). The finish is amazingly shiny, incredibly durable, surprisingly scratch-resistant, chip-resistant, dull-resistant, yet easy to remove. It makes ALL my self-done manicures (so far) last many days longer than usual. My typical 3-day manicure experience now extends for a full wk without chipping, at which point I need to change polish to nail growth. What I really wanted was the beautiful cushioned LOOK of a shiny gel manicure (happily I get that with this), but this product also makes my polish WEAR similar to a gel manicure (though I'm not the type to stick it out for 2 wks to see how long it will last). The durability is really happily surprising, I generally don't expect any regular polish to behave like salon gel w/o a difficult removal process. This is so easy-peasy, I'm still kind of waiting for this happy bubble to burst.

Except for the smaller size bottle (1/3 ounce as opposed to the traditional 1/2 ounce size....seems to me like everybody's packaging less product these days for more $$) & the higher price ($26 post-tax), I'm in love with this new topcoat. For me it's worth the expense (though of course I wish it cost less) & will absolutely buy again. While I've tried manyyyy brands, I never thought I'd buy something as high end as Dior, but item sucked me in - I've always been on the hunt for the look of shiny gel nails without having to actually get a gel manicure. Seche Vite is wonderful but the shrinkage is a major deal breaker. Seche Vite's baby sister Invincible II is my go-to quick-dry, super cheap too, but only avail. online. Deborah Lippmann is great but also expensive & very thin formula. Poshe is ok but not exciting. Other drugstore brands have fallen short. I've had problems either with shrinkage, peeling, cracking, dulling, clouding, discoloration, goopiness, & (most hated) bubbling.

UPDT 12/18/13 (6 months later) -
I'm well into to my 2nd bottle of Gel Coat now & am still amazed by this product. NO manicure I wear looks polished without it. I'll do a regular manicure at home with a quick-dry & it looks ordinary. Then I'll add a nice coat of Gel Coat & my manicure looks so luxe. Still good stuff!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 9:09:00 AM More reviews by Ranaz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It's a great top coat and although someone said that it doesn't dry fast..I find that it does! And my nails look shiny and beautifully thick as if They were professionally done! It's a little pricy though And having tried sèche vite I would say this last one is a better bargain! But since sèche vite is hard to come by where I live..I am sticking to Dior's Gel Coat for now!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2013 1:38:00 PM More reviews by Elisy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this stuff! I went to purchase another bottle (for my mom) and the salesgirl at the pharmacy couldn't believe how shiny it was. She had remembered me purchasing it for myself 8 days earlier and that's how long it's been on my nails-still shiny, no chips! It is not a fast-dry topcoat that you apply over wet nails like Seche or Essie Good To Go, but for me the extra drying time is worth having great-looking nails for this long.

12/6/2014-Just editing to add that I was able to use regular acetone nail polish remover to thin this stuff. It got a little too thick to use 2/3 of the way down the bottle. The thinned product now looks slightly cloudy, but it still goes on clear and is as shiny as ever.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2013 1:14:00 PM More reviews by KileyMc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Woot! I'm first-- yea!! So on to the review. Just had to try this after reading bloggers and other reviews. I have used this on many different brands such as Chanel, Zoya, Essie, OPI....tons. Although this does not claim to dry fast, I find it does. Definitely slower than SV but still pretty quick. It's thick but not unmanageable and smoothes out bumpy glitters really well. But-- and it's a big one-- major shrinkage. Day 2 of any mani with this and the tips have totally peeled back looking like I'm a professional typist or dishwasher. Just can't recommend this due to that. But it does give great shine and does leave your nails with a kind of thick look. I think I'll try this next as a glitter tamer followed by a different QDTC and will let you all know the results. Bummer though, right?!?!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No