August 29, 2014 | 1341 users online

Fragrances - Frederic Malle - Musc Ravageur

rated 3 of 5 on 12/29/2013 7:06:00 PM More reviews by perfumefanatic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I requested a sample of this from another swapper...recieved it with such high hopes, but to me its, just "eh". On me, a glorified Toujours Moi. I will stick to the original TM.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2013 9:32:00 AM More reviews by LyrA236

I am on the proverbial fence. Last time I tried MR, it seemed to me to be a dense head shop sort of musk with lots of nag champa and resinous notes. Either my memory is incorrect, or they have reformulated. What I get now is a modern version of Shalimar. The initial vanilla-lemon blast, softened by flowers, against an amber dry down. It is nice. Very nice. But not nicer than Shalimar. There is a bit of a naughty kick at the end, some tiny fillip of animalic pong. This gives it a wry twist, and such a move would be beneath the dignity of Shalimar. It gets points for that.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2013 11:24:00 PM More reviews by CobraRose

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

There is a really unfortunate urine-on-tinfoil accord I get a few minutes after applying this. Luckily, that aspect doesn't last long. However, the scent gets very dense and heavy on me, in a flat, dull, smothering sort of way. I gave it a 3 because the far drydown is a lovely sweet-cream kind of scent, but I'm not willing to wade through the rest of it to get there.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by hollyc01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh my, thank goodness I sampled before buying. Upon reading reviews, this should have had everything I love in a fragrance, including being composed by Maurice Roucel. But sadly, on me, all I got was spice, spice, spice and amber. VERRRRY spicy and sweet and bland. Very like Obsession or even Tabu. I got no musk, no dirtiness, no "ravageur". Smells like something a teenager would wear to the Friday night dance at the highschool. So far, the only Malle I've liked has been Carnal Flower. They all seem to lean way too far on the sweet scale and lack complexity. But that's just me perhaps. Try before you buy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2012 6:49:00 AM More reviews by tabloid

This is a "dirty" fragrance - and I mean that in the very best possible way. Very very sexy.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2012 6:03:00 PM More reviews by tecumsum

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Ordered some of this from Frederic Malle with quite a few other untried goodies. Of them all, this one captured me. It is downright smoldering sexy musk. Lasts a long time too, so a dab will do you. It smells unlike anything I have ever tried (although for some faint reason, it reminds me somewhat of Chergui). This fragrance is suited more for the colder months than the summertime as it is quite strong. I am definitely going to buy a full-size bottle as it is worth every last penny
Edit 3/20/14: Just got my first full bottle. Yippee!! Watch out world. Here comes the musky vixen!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2011 9:44:00 PM More reviews by fabulyss

How is everyone smelling sex in this? It doesn't smell remotely human/animalistic; it smells like the chemicals in Carmex lipbalm.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2011 12:29:00 PM More reviews by rebemdee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm considering buying it. I have a sample (thank you Robin at Barney's in Vegas) and I enjoy it, but it doesn't last long on me. If its still on me in 8 hours I'll pick it up, because I like the subtle creamy musc and strong vanilla, it smells like winter and cozy snuggling. I do get a strong bergamot splash at first, and it smells like briny pickles! Thank goodness that top note goes away quickly and I'm left with a beautiful scent. My only concern is staying power so I'll see how it turns out. I have until 4pm, when my conference at the Venetian ends, to decide.

Edited to add I put it on at 7am, by 10am only the faintest trace remained. My body absorbs fragrance it seems. I am not spending that much money for 3 hours of perfume. Bummer, once I got past the briny pickles top note, I really liked this scent.

Final edit: I've worn this a few times from the sample I got, and in the end, I really like it. Even the briny pickle smell has grown on me. If I spritz 3 or 4 spots it does last longer, especially if I do nape of neck and behind the knees. Darn, I may have to buy this afterall. When I start to run low on my 30 other fragrances, I will then make the decision to buy this or not. It is pricey.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2011 2:15:00 AM More reviews by sassykzt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Skanky, foody, bodily musk. Still, there's more to Musc Ravageur. The skin scent is more sharp and dry and spicy, almost vintage-like, from the cinnamon. At first I thought almost too much so, but then it mellows into a wonderfully spicy, warm and cozy scent, sweetened by musk and vanilla.

It's not ladylike, it's not for girls--It's disgracefully good... If I know that I am going to be up all night, and that in the morning I am going to be lying there; exhausted, sweaty, filthy, and with pillows and clothes thrown all over the room, then this is the fragrance I wear because it compliments that situation perfectly, and also because it will last until the next morning too, hehe. Divine.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2011 9:17:00 AM More reviews by awesomeness2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wow. Musc Rave is a purring kitty ... animalistic, somewhat dirty musk.

I'm all for a good perfume skank-fest once & awhile, but even Musc Rave is a bit too much for me. I know there are other notes in this, but all I get is musk, a sweetish musk ... kitty musk, if you know what I mean.

Agent Provocateur, yes. Boudoir, yes. Tabu, yes. Musc Rave, no.

I have a small (5ml) decant, and let me tell you - that will last me 10 years. Try this before you buy this, even if you like musks.