Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur

3.7

I have numerous 10 ml manufacturers early editions of Musc Ravaguer. Agree that it's a global oriental much in the style of Shalimar - an updated Shalimar with Lavander. (Current Shalimar extrait is too powdery for me; my favorite Shalimar formulation is the less powdery, slightly more citric EdC in the glass disc stoppered bottle, glass stopper from the 1960s).

When I have been in the mood to wear this style of fragrance, I admit that I tend to reach more often for vintage dead stock manufacturers samples of Creed Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie, which, despite its name, is more about creamy sandalwood with lush yet powdered dry down.

People who dislike powdered finishes should IMO avoid Musc Ravageur, Shalimar and Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie.

If you want something like musc ravageur, but less powdery, less feminine, please consider the vintage 1947 Le Galion Special for Gentlemen which is a unisex cross between Jicky and Shalimar. Although, like MR, it has Lavander, IMO it is not an aromatic fougere but rather a light citric Amber oriental. Le Galion reissued SfG last year; I have not tried the reformulation.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

The opening of this reminds me of Shalimar. Same opening without the powder. Then I get lots of clove & spices. it's very nice. However for the price, it didn't WOW me.. It is very warm, sexy, cuddly. It's nice.

Ordered a number of samples from Aedes. Musc Ravaguer was among them and one I'd been wanting to try for quite a while. I had high hopes for this one and was really excited to try it. I'm looking for a musk with some skank to it. What I got from Musc Ravaguer was a boatload of sweet cloves with some powdered sugar and baby powder dumped on top. That's all. Not for me. Next samples order will include Serge Luten's MKK. Hope I have better luck with that one.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I requested a sample of this from another swapper...recieved it with such high hopes, but to me its, just "eh". On me, a glorified Toujours Moi. I will stick to the original TM.

I am on the proverbial fence. Last time I tried MR, it seemed to me to be a dense head shop sort of musk with lots of nag champa and resinous notes. Either my memory is incorrect, or they have reformulated. What I get now is a modern version of Shalimar. The initial vanilla-lemon blast, softened by flowers, against an amber dry down. It is nice. Very nice. But not nicer than Shalimar. There is a bit of a naughty kick at the end, some tiny fillip of animalic pong. This gives it a wry twist, and such a move would be beneath the dignity of Shalimar. It gets points for that.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Oh my, thank goodness I sampled before buying. Upon reading reviews, this should have had everything I love in a fragrance, including being composed by Maurice Roucel. But sadly, on me, all I got was spice, spice, spice and amber. VERRRRY spicy and sweet and bland. Very like Obsession or even Tabu. I got no musk, no dirtiness, no "ravageur". Smells like something a teenager would wear to the Friday night dance at the highschool. So far, the only Malle I've liked has been Carnal Flower. They all seem to lean way too far on the sweet scale and lack complexity. But that's just me perhaps. Try before you buy.

This is a "dirty" fragrance - and I mean that in the very best possible way. Very very sexy.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Ordered some of this from Frederic Malle with quite a few other untried goodies. Of them all, this one captured me. It is downright smoldering sexy musk. Lasts a long time too, so a dab will do you. It smells unlike anything I have ever tried (although for some faint reason, it reminds me somewhat of Chergui). This fragrance is suited more for the colder months than the summertime as it is quite strong. I am definitely going to buy a full-size bottle as it is worth every last penny
Edit 3/20/14: Just got my first full bottle. Yippee!! Watch out world. Here comes the musky vixen!

How is everyone smelling sex in this? It doesn't smell remotely human/animalistic; it smells like the chemicals in Carmex lipbalm.

Skin: Normal, Other, Cool

I'm considering buying it. I have a sample (thank you Robin at Barney's in Vegas) and I enjoy it, but it doesn't last long on me. If its still on me in 8 hours I'll pick it up, because I like the subtle creamy musc and strong vanilla, it smells like winter and cozy snuggling. I do get a strong bergamot splash at first, and it smells like briny pickles! Thank goodness that top note goes away quickly and I'm left with a beautiful scent. My only concern is staying power so I'll see how it turns out. I have until 4pm, when my conference at the Venetian ends, to decide.

Edited to add I put it on at 7am, by 10am only the faintest trace remained. My body absorbs fragrance it seems. I am not spending that much money for 3 hours of perfume. Bummer, once I got past the briny pickles top note, I really liked this scent.

Final edit: I've worn this a few times from the sample I got, and in the end, I really like it. Even the briny pickle smell has grown on me. If I spritz 3 or 4 spots it does last longer, especially if I do nape of neck and behind the knees. Darn, I may have to buy this afterall. When I start to run low on my 30 other fragrances, I will then make the decision to buy this or not. It is pricey.

Popular Fragrances