Holika Holika Aqua Petit Jelly BB Cream

4.1

Water, Titanium Diioxide, hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Acrylates/C10-30 AlkylAcrylaate Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Sorbitan isostearate, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Sodium Hyaluronate, Mentha Piperita (peppermint) Leaf Extract, Codium Tomentosum Extract, Enteromorpha Compressa Extract, Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract, Ecklonia Cava Extract, Gelidium Cartilagineum Extract, Laminaria Japonica Extract, Mentha Arvensis Leaf Extract, Mentha Rotundifolia Leaf Extract, Imperata Cylindrica Root Extract, Caviar Extract, aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Triethanolamine, Steric acid, Sodium Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Aluminum hydroxide, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Isohexadecane, polysorbate 80, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Butylene Glycol, Hydroxyapatite, Agar, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Glycerin, PEG-8, Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate, Glyceryl Caprylate, Atelocollagen, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Chlorphenesin, Propylparaben, potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Frangrance(Parfum), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron oxides (CI 77499).

I ordered this product after hearing about it from loads of people (and because the packaging was adorable) and I've got to say that given what I was hearing I'm dissapointed

A little background on me - I have quite oily skin in the summer but bone dry skin in the winter, I tried this in spring when my skin is pretty normal and to be honest I don't think it's that good

It comes in two shades which is good considering that most BB creams only have one tone, I opted for the lighter shade since most people who wore the same foundation shades as me (I'm sand beige in Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup and NC20 in MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation by the way) but it's a good shade or two too light for me (I look unwell when using it if I'm not careful) so I ended up having to mix it with a foundation to make it work

The coverage is not terrible but it's nothing to write home about, it evened out my complexion somewhat (I have rosy cheeks and a neon red nose) but I found that it settled into my lines quickly and looked kind of cakey each time I used it, you can build it up but it does end up looking really caked on and like a clown mask in my experience

As for staying power I saw a lot of people with oily skin saying it was a godsend but on my NORMAL skin it wore off in about 7 hours, this might be because I'm a guy and I sweat more than most of the other people using this stuff do, I can't be sure

Another thing to mention is the packaging, it is adorable as I've said before, I love the bottle but I wish it came with a pump, that is my one major gripe on that front, other than that I love the pudding cup design they've gone with and I wish more western brands would get on to this type of packaging

This product is pretty cheap (I paid around £6 for it on eBay) so it is pretty good for the money but Holika Holika make much better BB creams for around half the price already (seriously, their moisturizing petit BB is great, better coverage, better blendability, better finish and lasted longer)

In a nutshell while I don't hate this product I wouldn't repurchase it, it did some nice things and it's cute as anything but the actual product inside is just not good enough by my standards

on 4/6/2015 8:42:00 PM

I have this in the lighter shade. I teetered back and forth on the two shades and ended on the one that would arrive quicker for the least shipping on Amazon. This is a bit light for me. I was using the Fit Me matte foundation in 120 which is a little darker. This is OK for winter but I will need a little darker in summer. This foundation is a gloppy texture. I applied with fingers first and it was OK. Then I used the Real Technicques buffing brush which I had only used for powder before. This actually worked well, gave a very smooth finish with moderate but natural looking coverage. Because the brush is soft it did not bring up dry spots, though I am careful to exfoliate regularly. The actual Real Techniques foundation brush is stiff and pointy. Really useless and scrapes up flaky skin. In any case this foundation looked good but did not stay matte. Mature skin was oily at the end of the day and coverage for some minor dark spots did not last. Could use powder but I hate adding extra layers and products. Not too bad overall but not HG. I am going to order the darker shade for summer.

on 3/28/2015 4:20:00 PM

After trying many foundations (drugstore and high-end) I have decided and they don't quite match up to my skintone well. I'm Asian but my skin has a mostly neutral undertone with a slight tendency towards yellow. The only thing I've found that matches my skin the best is Dior Star in #10.

I've tried some CC cushion thing when I went to Korea and I liked how well it suited my skintone. The Missha BB cream in pink packaging is passable in the spring/fall time but it's too dewy for my combination skin.

This, however, solved my problems. I can use this in early winter or early spring and it has just enough yellow undertones to suit my face. I got this off eBay but I know that it's easy to find in Korea/Asia.

The first thing I noticed was the pretty frosted glass packaging. It's heavy so won't be fun to travel with, I suppose. The jar with a spatula is nice since I'm used to no-pump glass bottles. I like to swirl the spatula before scooping some out onto the back of my hand.

One of the ingredients listed is marine mint water and that gives off a cooling sensation upon application. Despite the thick mousse texture, I don't feel it once it's been blending out (with Sigma 3DHD or Real Techniques Buffing Brush). I have the Aqua Neutral and it's a perfect match for me. At first I was worried that some of the ingredients might bother my sensitive skin but that never happened.

I have quite oily T-zones but also dry undereye areas. This BB worked nicely on all areas on my face. It leaves a dewy finish but with a good powder, it lasts all day. One layer gives a medium coverage but you can built it up to a full coverage. It can even cover acne and acne scars with two or three layers and even that doesn't feel like anything on my skin.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who can get it. It's worth it and I imagine that it would work on most skin types unless you have super oily skin.

This is my holy frail BB cream! I first bought this about a year and a half ago. I tried it, and loved it! Then I made the horrible decision to give it a break and try other BB creams. Nothing could compare! First of all, this BB cream is VERY lightweight. The coverage is light to medium, but you can also build it up without it getting cakey. It does only come in two colors unfortunately for those with darker skin tones. I am in the shade #2 Aqua Neutral. Because of the BB creams jelly-like texture, it blends smoothly and melts right into the skin. This finish is very natural, neither matte nor dewy. It also has a nice, fresh, clean smell to it. Almost floral. That lasting power is also amazing. it stays on without even nudging for about 5-6 hours. After that you may need to touch up in oily parts of the face. However, this BB cream works great with natural oils on the face. So if you have oily/combo skin, this could be for you! Like I said, this is my holy grail BB cream. It is worth every cent! ^-^

on 2/23/2015 10:08:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is a fabulous BB cream. It's water based and includes some great ingredients, including a physical sunblock. I usually add a little bit of my moisturizer to thin it out a bit so that way it spreads more easily. Coverage is medium. My skin is combination and I have acne scars and hyperpigmentation on my cheeks. This BB cream covers it pretty well. By the way, many things break me out, but this BB cream did not. I do find that towards the end of the day my face does get a bit oily but it's nothing too serious. I can't give this a perfect 5 because the shades are very light. I'd say if you are anywhere between an NC 15- NC 25, you should be ok for color matching. I have shade 2 which is suppose to be the darker of the two, but with my NC35 tone, it's just too light. I usually have to mix a darker foundation. Other than the shade, this BB cream is a great deal. Very lightweight and your skin does not feel suffocated. I got mine on Amazon for about $15 including shipping. The glass jar is very cute but heavy for traveling. And for those who don't like fragrance, well, this does have a slight fruity fragrance.

on 2/21/2015 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I'm absolutely obsessed and in love with this BB!❤️❤️❤️ Ever since pimples wrecked havoc on my face, I decided to ditch some of my foundations and powders and shifted to BB and CC creams - as these guys proved to be mild and light on the skin. This guy is so light yet it covers blemishes and redness. Its consistency is gel-like and just glides on smoothly on skin upon application. Once it dries, your skin looks flawless yet natural-looking sans the oiliness. For me this can replace foundations! Will definitely buy more of this on my trip to Hong Kong - I heard these are really cheap there. Truly in love� with this!

This is one of the best BB creams I have used. It has a unique jelly-like texture that allows the product to sink into the skin almost immediately, and it gives a very natural finish. I have normal to combination skin and it lasts throughout the day for me. The only reason why I gave this product four stars is because it is water-based and dries out my skin during the winter. Apart from that, I love it!

on 1/25/2015 3:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I am surprised by how much I like this product, which seems to target teens with it's darling pastel-polka-dotted box and sweet flower-shaped glass jar. This is my favorite weekend foundation since it offers very limited coverage. Here's how it breaks down:

Pros:
- lightest shade is an excellent shade match for my N15 skin tone
- aforementioned adorable cute packaging and heavy glass jar; paddle wand built into the lid is sanitary and works well to mix and access product
- sheer coverage that neutralizes my rosacea redness
- finish is perfectly skinlike: neither too matte nor too shiny
- doesn't oxidize or slide off -- lasts a good six hours with no touchups (as long as I set it with powder in a.m.)
- cheap price
- easily found online

Cons:
- only comes in two shades
- jelly texture is truly bizarre and is even a bit curdled-looking -- for Western tastes, this may be too far outside the comfort zone
- offers minimal coverage
- fairly strong floral fragrance (why does a foundation need fragrance? makes no sense.)

Overall this is an excellent product for people with fairly good skin -- highly recommend!

on 12/1/2014 5:17:00 PM

I have mixed feelings about this product. I love the outcome (color) that is on my face but in a few hours my face would look dry and flakey (which I absolutely hate).

on 11/12/2014 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I lived in Korea for a few years and have tried many BB, CC, and cushion makeup products since they are so popular and affordable. The only two I’ve kept are the Holika Holika Aqua Petite Jelly BB Cream SPF 20 PA++ and the Skinfood Red Orange Jelly BB Cream SPF 20 PA++. Both are very similar in texture (water-based gels) and coverage (light, buildable to medium) and differ only in packaging and smell. Both products come in two shades and do not have that color matching technology some BB creams do, so what you see is what you get. I use the darker color, #2, in both.

I am Asian and have oily, NC25 skin that is prone to breakouts. My skin will let me know immediately with little bumps under the skin if a foundation is not right for me. My skincare routine consists of brightening products which make my yellow-toned skin lean neutral and prescription acne medication which can make my chin dry. When buying base makeup, I like dewy foundations that feel light on the skin with no fragrance and light to medium coverage. From my experience, BB, CC, and cushion makeup products are generally a miss because they are thick, sticky, and far too light and ashy. These two BB creams are the only ones I’ve liked.

----------

The Holika Holika Aqua Petite Jelly BB Cream SPF 20 PA++ (40mL) is $13 CAD and $7 CAD during the monthly Holika Holika sales. The BB cream comes in a heavy, glass, frosted bottle with a spatula cap, and a free makeup sponge. The jelly cup shaped bottle is cute but not good for travel. When you open the bottle, the product wiggles. When you scoop the product out with the spatula cap, the product retains its shape. Upon application, the product feels cool to the skin due to the peppermint. It has a mild fragrance and the texture is light and spreads like water. You cannot feel the sunscreen at all. Because of this watery texture, it dries very quickly, can look streaky, and can cling to dry patches. Unlike most Korean base products, this BB cream has a semi-matte finish that gives a beautiful glow with wear. Because of this semi-matte finish however, the BB cream starts looking white when you build it up. On my NC25 skin, I can only use this during the winter. Even then, I do rely on bronzers and my natural oils to oxidize the product for a better color match. I wish it came in darker shades because the light gel texture and semi-matte finish would be great for the summer.

The Skinfood Red Orange Jelly BB Cream SPF 20 PA++ (25g) is $10 CAD. The BB cream comes in a pot so spatulas and Q-Tips will need to be used to keep the product sanitary. Like the Holika Holika Aqua Petite Jelly BB Cream, the product wiggles, retains its shape, and has a light gel texture that spreads like water. The orange smell is pleasant in the pot but bizarre on the face. Luckily, the smell dissipates fast. Compared to the Holika Holika BB cream, the Skinfood one is dewier and a touch darker. The color is therefore more forgiving in the summer but I would still recommend it overall for winter because of the dewy finish.

In summary, I like the semi-matte finish, scent, and buildable coverage of the Holika Holika Aqua Petite Jelly BB Cream but the color of the Skinfood Red Orange Jelly BB Cream. Neither products are perfect but fair for the price tag. I think fairer skinned girls will have better luck with the product.

[Overall rating for the Holika Holika Aqua Petite Jelly BB Cream SPF 20 PA++: 3.5 | Price 5.0 | Packaging 4.0 | NO, I will not repurchase]

[Overall rating for the Skinfood Red Orange Jelly BB Cream SPF 20 PA++: 3.5 | Price 4.0 | Packaging 3.5 | NO, I will not repurchase]

----------

Foundations I like and have in rotation include: YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat Illuminating Foundation with SPF 19 (B30), Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation with SPF 15 (200 Soft Beige), Everyday Minerals Foundation (Original Glo formulation discontinued, now using Jojoba formulation in assorted colors), Holika Holika Aqua Petite Jelly BB Cream SPF 20 PA++ (#2), Skinfood Red Orange Jelly BB Cream SPF 20 PA++ (#2)

Foundation I have used and may repurchase in the future: NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (Alaska, Groenland), Armani Luminous Silk (4.25), Shu Uemura Face Architect Smooth Fit Fluid Foundation (774)