Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 4/14/2015 9:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Unreal pigmentation, fantastic glide on with a good brush, brilliant staying power even without a primer, brilliant blend ability and sleek packaging.

on 3/30/2015 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

i love mattes and i love neutrals - this is the perfect combo! all of these shades work very well together but the shade i use the most is definitely WOS for when i'm too lazy to do a eyeshadow look but i still want my lids to look awake. i wish UD sold WOS as a single, though. :( but, these are still some very nice pigmented eyeshadows. i've had no problems blending them with a base color underneath.

on 3/20/2015 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this palette because I don't have to feel like I am wasting the other shades I do not use. In the basics palette, i use 4 colors. Pretty much every color except the black. (because I am typically not an out there makeup person) But overall I love all the colors in this palette! I would totally recommend this to anyone who wants a simple palette without paying a ton:)
One concern I do have is Venus is very chalky in my palette. It tends to go everywhere when I use it.

on 3/9/2015 10:02:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

Honestly, I've had this product for a while and even though these are all neutral colours, I just can't seem to make them work for me. The colours all look ruddy on me and they're also very boring. Not worth any of the hype whatsoever.

on 3/7/2015 1:14:00 AM

This is one of my "work horse" products. It doesn't look exciting or glamorous, but I use it at least four times per week. I LOVE this palette. Here's why:

Packaging - Excellent
Sturdy but lightweight. The mirror is huge for the palette size. The case snaps firmly shut, and even takes a little extra pulling to open the first few times.

Price - Excellent
The math works out to a little over $5 per shadow - a bargain.

Quality - Excellent
These are soft, highly pigmented shades. Some don't like UD matte shadows, claiming they are too dry. This isn't a problem for me. If you are (understandably) gun-shy about this, swatch it in the store, or even dab some on your eyelid. I get that, for the price, you want it to be a palette that works with your skin.

Shadows - Amazing
Venus is a lovely shimmer highlighter with a slight yellow tint. In a pinch, I use it on my face as a highlighting powder, applying with my finger.
Foxy and W.O.S. (walk of shame) are good matte lid colors and blending shades, Foxy being warmer and W.O.S. being on the cool side. I use them both.
Naked 2 is a cooler matte tan, perfect for blending into the crease or softening darker shades. This is my favorite color in the palette.
Faint is a gorgeous matte milk chocolate brown. It blends well with most browns, and warms up the greyer ones (important for me, since I have yellow undertones - cool shades can make me look dead).
Crave is a beautiful matte black that can work alone, blended out into a grey, or crank up the depth of any shade you have. It's also my go-to smokey eye black shade.

Less experienced/mature makeup lovers may look at this palette and go, "Boring!" But they aren't seeing its incredible versatility and beauty. Naked 2 and Faint are great brow powders - throw on a bit of brow wax or Vaseline, gently fill in, and your brows will look shapely and neat. Taking this palette along on a trip means you already have your brow powder, highlight shade, and black in one small package.
More on versatility: Take any "scary" shade you might want to try - bright yellow, green, or red, for example. You can use Naked Basics to crank up the glam or make it wearable. One of my favorite ways to use this palette is to take a gorgeous warm shimmer shade (a Milani gel shadow, or my favorite, Coppering by MAC) and blend it into a wearable warm look with Foxy on the lid, Naked 2 in the crease, and a touch of Crave in the outer corner. Yesterday I deepened a purple look (MAC Haux and Cranberry) with Crave, and used Venus as a highlight.
For an elegant no-makeup look, use Foxy on your center and outer lid, Venus on the inner third including the corner, blend Naked 2 in your crease, and softly line with Faint.
The possibilities are endless.
I haven't tried Naked Basics 2; as I said before, cool toned shadows aren't flattering on me, but you cooler toned folks may find it as amazing as I find NB1. I use this so much more than my other Naked palettes, and ALWAYS use it to supplement them when I do.
This palette is varied without being overwhelming, and it will actually help you get more wear out of your other eyeshadows. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

on 3/5/2015 8:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

What I like most about this palette is that it's portable and better quality than drugstore. For the price of $27 I wish I loved it more. Overall I've come to learn that I enjoy my Lorac Pro 2 and Too Faced Chocolate Bar palettes more than my UD Naked and Naked Basics Palette. I just find that the shadows are slightly more dry than I prefer. My skin is very pale right now, about NC15, and the 3 lightest shades don't really show up on my skin that well or make much of a difference. I have Virgin (the shimmery shade) in the Naked palette as well and I don't love it as a highlight, although I still use it out of convenience, but its a little too white metallic shimmery for me. The taupe gray, brown, and black shades are absolutely fabulous in pigmentation and pretty much make up for the disappointment in the lighter three shades. I use the black shade to set my L'Oreal gel liner and it never irritates my water line. The darker shades have great lasting power. This palette isn't something I would repurchase because I like to try out new things but if you LOVE UD shadows this would be something nice to try. My suggestion for how to make this palette better would have been to include a very light matte highlight shade and swapped out either foxy or w.o.s. for a neutral shimmery lid shade.

on 3/2/2015 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Luv this palette. Even though the colours are VERY basic, the quality is top notch. Pigmentation and staying power is terrific. I only wish there were a couple of additional colours to play with to have more variety, then it would reach holy grail status.

I own several neutral palettes but reach for this one a lot.

on 3/2/2015 5:40:00 PM

I do not think these should be looked at as eyeshadows to wear alone, unless you want or prefer a very natural look. I think these are more geared to use in conjunction with the 12-pan Naked palettes, as base shades, transition shades, brow bone shades, etc. I think if you are looking at this palette and expecting a 'wow' eyeshade look alone, you will be disappointed.

That said, I love this palette.
I love using it alone for days I want a more natural look. I also love pairing it with shimmer shadows, so to me, this palette is very versatile. But I think the 'palette' word has connotations for some as being a one-stop-shop-eyeshadow.. and as I said some may very well find these shades "boring" if that is what they are looking for. There is no shimmer, these are pretty matte, which, if that is what you ar elooking for, this palette is definitely worth a look. It seems in general people prefer this or volume 2, and I prefer this, even though volume 2 is touted as cooler toned shades (and I prefer cooler tones), I just prefer this over volume 2.

Anyhoo, these apply very easily for me, blend very nicely, and I get a good 8 hours or more wear from these. FABULOUS!!

I also like the slim package, great for tucking in the purse or for travel!!
Nice-sized mirror, to boot!!

I like these shadows but they are all really basic. Nothing exciting. I do think venus is great for the brow bones and w.o.s is great as a base shade but the rest are just alright for me.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is a good basic palette i use it for a natural everyday look or paired with my single eyeshadows as it gives all the basic shading colors.

Its not crazy pigmented but its good pigmentation and its easy to work with.

A great small sized palette that is easy to travel with too.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Simple Daily Makeup Tutorial (Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette) by Anna Boroshok

Top Rated Urban Decay Products