Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 8/26/2015 11:47:00 PM

This is a review on BOTH the naked basics 1 and 2

GET THEM! You won't regret it, seriously

BASICS 1
I am very pale with cool undertones and I definitely lean on the pink side and this palette works so well for me! It is definetly warm but in a weird way it would work for any skin tone honestly. The colors blend flawlessly and you can go subtle or build it to be darker. I don't use foxy at all and barely use WOS but the highlight she'd is awesome and I'm obsessed with the last three shades. It creates the best smokey eye even for my pale self.

BASICS 2
I love this palette just a TAD bit more than the first one just bc it's cooler. This is a very cool toned palette but just like the other palette, would work for any person seriously. I'm absolutely in love with this palette. I think it makes me skin and green eyes look amazing! I don't care for skimp or starke. I LIVE for frisk and cover and I love that undone is a great option for a darker color that's not black or too harsh.

I would love for UD to come out with a naked basics that had purply mauvy colors. I'd die!!!

Pros:
$29.. I'd pay 50 for these!
Creamy/blendable mattes
Both will work for cool or warm undertones
Best nude palettes
Great color payoff and lasting power

Cons:
None!!!!!

Do you NEED both of them?? You don't need any makeup! But if you can afford them or get them as gifts them yes! They are completely different and give completely different looks and you can play them off eachother.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

YASSSSSS! Finally, some mattes! I love this warm-toned neutral naked palette. I love to mix these shades with the original Naked palette to get more daytime, matte looks that don't OD on shimmer. My one complaint is that the lightest shade in this palette is a leeeeeetle too yellow for my taste. Doesn't work great on my skin tone, but it's good for those with more warmth in their skin. Other than that, A+!

on 8/22/2015 7:05:00 AM

My first UD palette and no regrets at all in purchasing this.
So creamy and blends like a dream. It gives me a great no makeup makeup look.

on 8/20/2015 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I adore urban decay palettes they were my first high end makeup palette and they never fail me they are my go to palettes. The basics palette in particular in one of my personal i love it for creating a simple everyday and as a added bonus all the shades are matte and very easy to use and super blendable. I am almost out of a few shades and i will not hesitate to repurchase them.

on 8/20/2015 5:37:00 AM

Below average. Don't recommend this because you could spend $45 towards much better eye shadows!!

on 7/13/2015 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I think I may be the only girl who doesn't like the Urban Decay NAKED Basics palette. It was expensive (about $30.00 in Canada) and the colour pay-off and staying power was awful for the price. I could've gotten the same quality from a drugstore brand and for cheaper. In my opinion it was NOT worth the money and I don't think I would repurchase any Urban Decay palettes again simply for the reason of how junky they seemed. Perhaps I got a dud? I'm not sure but I was not impressed. If you are looking for a higher quality eyeshadow palette I would highly recommend the LORAC Pro Palettes (I use the #1 palette) as they are amazing! This is drugstore quality at best.

on 7/12/2015 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Naked Basics is probably one of the best palettes Urban Decay has to offer. Why they don't focus on producing more matte shades is beyond me, because these aren't bad and work better than a lot of shimmers in the Urban Decay permanent line.

The palette itself is very sturdy and closes tightly. You don't have to worry about this one opening up without warning and getting all over everything in your purse or kit. It also comes with a mirror, though, it gets dirty after use.

Being that it is Urban Decay, there is a shimmer shade in Venus, but it's light enough and in my experience, does not produce any fall out. It's particularly good for applying to the inner eyes to brighten and widen, especially for those of us with eyes that are close together. It does a solid enough job of that.

The two "nude" shades of Foxy and W.O.S. are nice, as it provides options for both pink undertones and yellow undertones, and are versatile enough to be used on either skintone. The pigmentation on W.O.S. was a little more difficult for me to work with than Foxy (which I also used to set concealer as it worked very well with my skintone.)

Naked2 is a lovely crease shade and probably the color I used the most. It's neutral and again, works for both skin tones nicely.

Faint is probably the best pigmented of the bunch and works well as either crease (especially for cut-creases) and outer v deepening.

Crave is my least favorite in the palette for several reasons: one, it's not pigmented well. As a black shade, it's not a true black (it tends to lean more charcoal/slightly gray) and is difficult to work with. As another reviewer suggested, this palette would be so much better had they removed the black shade and substituted with a darker brown.

The palette itself is probably the one I would recommend for anyone looking to upgrade and start a middle-to-high end collection of makeup. It's a great workhorse palette. I did not experience fall-out with it, but I also tend to take a lighter hand with eyeshadows in general and always tap my brush before applying. I would advise not getting the eyeshadows wet, as if you do spray water onto your brush and have to dip back in for more, the shadows do not take well to being wetted and the colors in the pan "warp" a bit.

I did not have the issue of the eyeshadows becoming muddied, though, it may fade in pigmentation throughout the day if you don't wear a good base or primer. I would also question how this would fare on darker skintones, seeing as how some of the colors appeared ashy on
Pros:

- Great neutral matte formula
- No fall-out
- Offers nude shades for both yellow and pink undertones
- Great multi-tasking product (I used Foxy to set my concealer, for example)
- Sturdy packaging that would hold up in traveling
- (For those that like it), does contain one shimmer shade

Cons:

- Pigmentation can fade throughout the day if not primed/applied to base
- May not work well on POCs
- Crave has mediocre pigmentation and would work better with a dark brown shade
- (For those looking for one), it is not an all-matte palette; does contain a shimmer shade
- Do not take to being wet very well in the pan

on 7/10/2015 12:33:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This palette is PERFECT for everyday use! I would say that my favorite color here is the "Naked 2" because it's practically gone! It contains all your basic necessary colors and of course the shadows itself are the best quality!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

If you're interested in buying one of the naked palettes but not sure of the price, I'd recommend trying out this palette so you can test for yourself whether you think the quality of the eyeshadow is worth it!
This palette does what it says on the tin - it's 6 basic and very versatile shades of eyeshadow. It's ideal for if you're going on holiday/away for a weekend and don't want to be packing loads of makeup. As well as them being used as eyeshadows, they can also have other uses - for example, Naked 2 is a great shade for filling in my brows, and I can use a bit Crave or Faint to line my eyes. Would definitely recommend!

on 7/6/2015 8:58:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

i bought this palette because i really loved the naked2 basics, and i actually prefer the original now. i either use it on its own or in conjunction with other eyeshadows, and it's great for a very toned-down look, or for a smokey eye. i wouldn't use it every day, i like colours too much! but i enjoy it for those days when i want to play up other parts of my face and leaves the eyes almost bare but with a bit of definition. do recommend!

Popular Palettes

NAKED
PRO Palette
PRO Palette

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Simple Daily Makeup Tutorial (Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette) by Anna Boroshok

Top Rated Palettes