ipsy

2.8

on 2/24/2015 12:01:00 AM

I love ipsy! For $10/month people shouldn't be complaining about it. It's a nice surprise in the mail and you get to try new products! It comes in an adorable pink bubble mailer and you get a cosmetics bag with 4-5 samples or full size products. This month (Feb 2015) the retail value of my bag was $73 and I only paid $10! I got to try several new brands that I have never heard of and ended up loving almost everything in my bag! If you don't love some of the items you get simply put them in a separate bin so if you ever need an little extra something for a gift or have a makeup emergency you are covered! If you want to sign up up follow my link! http://www.ipsy.com/r/2gvsf?sid=ipsypoints&cid=general

on 2/19/2015 12:51:00 AM

For 10 bucks a month... The price is not bad, I guess. HOWEVER, when you are only satisfied 1 out of the 15 products you received, it's a bust. I subscribed to Ipsy's Glam monthly glam bag 3 months ago and was not impressed with the quality or name brands of the things I got. The majority of the make-up was not pigmented and the ones that were did not even suit my complexion--I kept getting pale pink everything. Ridiculous... What was the point of even taking the customization survey in the beginning? I cancelled after giving it 3 tries; will be sticking with Birchbox. You don't get "full-sized" items, but at least you're more prone to using their items than Ipsy. Plus, the redemption point system is better anyways!

on 2/11/2015 11:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I received three Ipsy bags before I decided enough was enough! The product cost $20 a month for small, cheap, one-time-use, "made-in-China" products. They're missing or broken half the time, and the other half of the time they're sending you things you specifically didn't ask for.

The concept is good, but the follow through falls so short.

Will not be subscribing again.

I have had an "ipsy glam bag" subscription for $10 per month for about four months... It's definitely hit or miss- I've gotten some good(ish) things: a J Cat gel eyeliner and an eyeliner brush, a pixi eyeshadow in a pretty bronze color, an impossibly small but cool Manna highlighter in Sheer Glo, a Beauty Without Cruelty face wash that I actually really love...but I've gotten some things I immediately give to my mom: a tiny tube of some olive oil eye cream (I've got a ton), a shimmery, champagne colored shadow in a cheap compact....honestly it's worth $10 to me. I mean c'mon, it's not top shelf products and the makeup bags are garish at worst and regiftable to a pre teen at best, but it's just ten bucks. I lose more than that in pocket change every month I'm sure. It's a nice little surprise in the mail beside the bills every month.

*UPDATE*

Still love Ipsy! I've since received tons if stuff I love! A Clarisea Sea Salt exfoliator (basically this nifty, tiny jar of sea salt and minerals that you mix with your face wash to slough off dead skin) a First Love roll on oil perfume by Demeter (I love the refreshing, singular floral/rose scent), a Model Co blush with an AMAZING color payoff, an adorable pink handled Luxe Large Angled makeup brush, a Medusa eyeshadow, a Mitchell and Peach Flora No 1 Fine Radiance Face Oil, a Real Techniques Fine Liner Brush, and a few other things, none of the rest really were that useful or interesting to me so I can't recall. But I'm still satisfied with it. I like that I get different makeup brushes, and there's a good mixture of items per bag (so far.) I've gotten face washes, perfume, blush, eye shadows, eye creams, makeup brushes, gel liner, face highlighter...all kinds of things, most of which I honestly love. I also love that their goodies are mostly nice, decent sized. Like the roll on perfume, the website retails it for over $20 and it's an actual perfume oil so it's very strong- a little goes a long way. That thing will last me months. The Clarisea Instant Glo Sea Salt Exfoliant- I've had it for months and it's only about 1/3 of the way gone. Again, a little goes a long way and I exfoliate once per week. The Model Co blush is so intense, one dusting does the entire job. I'm paying $10 for things I would normally be shelling out waaaay more for. I mean c'mon, we all honestly are slaves to product, "consumers"- every one of us...whether we want to admit it or not, and who doesn't love getting stuff, even if it costs $10? ❤️I love ipsy!

on 2/5/2015 2:10:00 AM

I cancelled my Ipsy subscription two months ago, after about 2 years of service and honestly don't miss a thing about it. When I first signed up for the service I found the products to be a mix of low to mid $ products and they were decent quality. Then I started noticing that I was getting stuff like a lot of cheap nail polish, horrible hand and body creams that smelled like wet, rotten garbage, and very low quality make-up and skin care, even after I explicitly stated no skin care items due to skin sensitivities. Month after month, I kept thinking the products would get back on track but they never did.

Semi-decent products would be discontinued colors that the manufacturers were selling in bulk, super cheap and the rest of the bag would stuffed with low end items that would immediately get tossed in the trash. Most of the time the coupon codes for quality products never worked, I finally asked myself why I was throwing money away on crap. Granted it was only $10/month but I finally realized that even if they were giving this stuff away, I would still be paying too much.

on 1/14/2015 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I never received my ipsy bags for December or this month. I jumped through all the hoops (free advertising and following) to get off the waiting list. I have been charged for two months, yet to no avail. I never got my bags, and when I told them, they refused a refund because it's "policy". So there's a policy covering them for STEALING my money? I don't want the damn bags anymore. Not good. No thanks. I'm still waiting on the e-mail that will let me cancel my subscription...

I also think it's ironic how two vague five-star reviews popped up after my bad one on Influenster on the same day. Definitely a red flag about following the reviews on that site. Unsubscribing is also not easy. It's been a day since I've tried to unsubscribe, and the e-mail isn't coming in. If there's another charge for a third invisible bag then we're going to have more problems. :/

on 10/22/2014 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

It's initially a really good service.....
Until you need support for a lost glam bag or other problem. They are unclear about the fact that when they send you a new one, it WON'T be the one you were promised, it will be a mix of stuff you have already gotten in a bag.

on 10/16/2014 6:24:00 PM

They say on the web site that it is $30 worth of product for $10 a month. IT IS NOT! It's about $2 worth of product a $1 bag from china and a $5 fancy shipping envelope! It's a JIP! They give you samples they are most likely getting for free. Save your money. or Beautybox5 is better. Its 12 bucks a month but at least you get full size products.

I'm on the fence with the ipsy subscription service. I love the idea of trying new cosmetic/skin lines and absolutely think the contents (+ cosmetic bag) one receives every month is worth the $10/month fee. However, a lot of the brands they've been featuring, repeatedly, lately are very cheap quality. I've also taken their quiz several times, making it very clear I do not want certain items (nail polish, lip gloss, mascara) and I get those same items in my bag every single month. I know a lot of people put their unwanted items up for swap, but I don't want the bother. I wind up giving half of the stuff away. ipsy has also taken to censoring their online forum. I wrote a post saying how disappointed I was in some of the items I received. About 30 min later they deleted my post without explanation. There are a lot of other deleted posts, so I can't be the only one having problems.

Update: I'm officially done with ipsy. After two subscription periods totaling 12 months and $120, I can count on one hand the number of products I truly like and would purchase again costing maybe $50 total. That's a terrible return on investment. I've taken the quiz probably six times, yet I kept receiving the same type/color of item I either could not use or did not want. These were a loss for me and went in the giveaway pile. Any childlike delight I get when I receive my bag in the mail is usually quickly crushed when I see what others received and I wanted instead ;-). ipsy also tends to use the same brands over and over again. These usually are not the best quality or downright cheap. I've gotten my fair share of off smelling makeup/skincare I would not use near my face so some seem suspiciously out of date as well. Any criticism is usually quickly snuffed out on the forum. It's turned into a weird cult of personality where some users berate you if you dare complain. Feels like HS again. Not worth it for me anymore. My money can be better spent elsewhere for brands items that work for me.

on 9/18/2014 7:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

It seems to me that the IPSY bags are getting progressively chinzier (is that a word?) as the months go by. A couple more months and I may cancel. The thing that really keeps me from doing it is the enclosed makeup bag each time (although some of them have been HORRID and I'd be embarrassed to give them to a 5 year old they are so tacky). If they ever get rid of the makeup bag, I'm out. Rarely are the samples "high end" and usually only 1 or 2 of the products each month are worth trying. That being said, it IS only ten bucks, which is pretty cheap considering that includes shipping. So, maybe I expect too much - I don't know.

Popular Other Products