Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

3.9

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

on 5/29/2015 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

You know, looking back, I didn't have that bad of a run with this foundation.

This foundation is basically face-wall paint. It is opaque. Like, if you were to tell me you could hide a dead body in this stuff, I'd believe it. I've seen this stuff cover tattoos no problem and it will cover just about anything you can throw at it. It's not /that/ heavy compared to other full coverage foundations (ahem, Hourglass Veil Fluid), but it's still very full coverage. It can be sheered out to medium with a Beautyblender alone, possibly less by mixing in moisturizer.

However, one thing I did note with this foundation is that it is very finicky with moisturizers. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream made it pill and slide off my face, but it really played well with Dior Hydra-Life.

Although I have dry skin and this doesn't always play nice with people with dry skin, I did not have any issues with it emphasizing flakes on my face. My ultimate issue and what killed me using this forever is that they didn't have a color that matched me. This line tends to run very pink and I have very cool yellow undertones, which KVD does not really make. Even if she were, I still don't think I'd go back to it as I don't really need that high of coverage.

A small quibble, but I'm not a fan of how KVD designs her products. I know she's got the rockabilly/goth thing going down, but it looks like a roadie for Poison or Whitesnake designed it.

So, while it didn't work out for me, get a sample and try it before you purchase. Dry-skinned ladies are definitely going to want to test this before buying. If you are looking for something with lighter coverage, this is definitely not the one for you.

Pros:

- Full coverage (if that's your flavor)
- Long-lasting
- Can be sheered out
- Many pink undertone shades (for those that have them)

Cons:
- Limited yellow undertone shades
- Can be drying for those with dry skin
- Tacky packaging
- Finicky with moisturizers

on 5/29/2015 12:16:00 PM

This is my favorite foundation! Very thick, full coverage and buildable. If you like a thin look, like a BB cream or powders this is not for you. It also has a real matte look. When you use it, start with a small amount, one or two squirts and I highly suggest using a beauty blender as its so thick. The only other foundation that is comparable to this is Becca but Becca isn't as thick but offers almost as much coverage in as much product.

on 5/28/2015 4:09:00 PM

I LOVE this foundation. My skin is combination and I also deal with a lot of acne scarring. This does the trick to seriously conceal all those red marks and I don't even need to use a concealer when using this. I prime my face and use a powder overtop, and although I do need to reapply powder in the evening when wearing this (the oily parts of my face always need powder reapplication), it still covers my blemishes. I use a brush to buff it into my skin - if I use my fingers or a sponge I find that it can look cakey really easily. I also love the fact that it is oil free. I find a lot of products make me break out but this one does not. I have repurchased this 3 times since using it (pretty much when it first came out) and I don't plan on switching foundations any time soon!

on 5/26/2015 5:33:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Great coverage, decent price, decent packaging. I would, however, like to be able to cover the pump somehow. I would suggest keeping the tiny clear plastic cover that it comes with, however insignificant it seems. I have okay skin, with redness on and around my nose that needs heavy coverage, so this does the trick for that. Just one pump is sufficient, sometimes two when my skin needs it.

on 5/22/2015 12:01:00 AM

This stuff is great for covering but I find it doesn't last all day. I use the porefessional primer then foundation, a powder and the UD setting spray and by the time I get to work,work and come home ( about 7 hours ) my face looks terrible. It melts off in not even hot weather. Makes my face oily and I have dry skin. I don't think I'd buy it again for $43CAD

on 5/19/2015 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really love the coverage of this foundation! I'm an nc15 in mac and first bought light44, but lord have mercy it's like putting orange paint on your face! So I went to light 45 and wow what a difference it's an actual skin color!! I've had severe rosacea since I was 12 and it's only gotton worse since I've gotton older ( I'm almost 19) and this covers it like nobody's business, so thank The Lord for this foundation, but some of the colors are wack.

on 5/18/2015 11:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I got this as a sample and I loved it. I have oily pale skin with yellow undertones. For some reason my skin ended up going haywire, breaking out all over in ways that it normally never does, so my normal foundation wasn't going to cut it. I dug through my box of Sephora samples and decided to try this one. It was fantastic at covering my blemishes. I went from afraid to leave my house to actually feeling confident! I wouldn't say this is totally matte though. Maybe more satin? I have an oily t-zone and I did notice that sometimes it would build up and get a little streaky around my nose, even with a setting powder, so I docked a star. I did have to touch it up once or twice throughout the day, but my skin is oily so I expect that. Aside from that, it stayed on really well. I had cried over something and was a little nervous to look in the mirror since it's full coverage and I was worried about streaking, but it stayed put. You couldn't even tell from my makeup that I'd been crying. I also only have to use a very minimal amount. The little sample lasted me about two weeks, so it's worth the price to me. I never thought I looked cakey and it didn't feel heavy. I will say that it doesn't give that luminous "no makeup" makeup look but I'm not sure that's what it's meant to do, so if that's the look you're going for, it's probably not for you. It didn't oxidize on me, and I didn't experience it being hard to blend or drying too fast, but I always work in small sections so maybe that's why. Overall I do really like this foundation but I see why it wouldn't be for everyone.

on 5/16/2015 2:44:00 PM

I was in complete love with this foundation for a good year or so. Anyone who asked for foundation recommendations, I suggested this stuff. Anytime anyone asked which one I was wearing I eagerly told them. But I'm not loving it like I use to now. I find even if you moisturize and prime your skin, it is still really hard to blend, it's very thick, I sometimes need 2-3 pumps. I also realized it oxidizes very orange :(

I am a NW30, the Sephora girl matched me w/ the little device @ Light 48. It is not a match.

One thing I do really like is the packaging, it seems that by the time I get to the last pump, all of the product will be out and none really wasted like some other brands.

on 5/11/2015 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

okay so, i bought this foundation in Medium 56, a shade darker for the summer *NC42 in mac for reference* and i got matched with my color IQ at sephora. i applied it with my beauty blender, it set super fast on my skin, i must admit it caked up on my skin. i have pretty normal skin and have tried with and with out primer ( i use porefessional from benefit). overall the foundation did last all day, but towards the end of the day my face looked super caked, my pores were like showing completely through the foundation. only used it about 6-7 times, trying to play around with it, and trying to find a way to make it work.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I tried this out and it was just wayyyy too thick. Felt very heavy on the skin, and was difficult to keep from looking cakey.

Video Reviews & Tutorials