Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

3.9

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

on 7/28/2015 8:31:00 AM

Really nice coverage. It broke me out and I returned it but I wanna give it a other shot! So I might re purchase it. The staying power is alright, not the best. The coverage is fabulous. I didn't like applying it with a beauty blender because this foundation is too thick for it and makes it go on un even. A stippling brush or your fingers would be the best tool for this. An almost identical dupe for th is is the Rimmel Stay Matte foundation, it has the same thicker mousse like consistency and amazing coverage, also not cakey but it is very heavy. The lasting power I better with the time one though.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Holy Moly Donut shop!!!!
Ok...so this isM THE 2ND time I ve bought this foundation...
The 1st time, I DID NOT like it at all.. but I used my fingers to apply it. I applied WAY to much.
I recently did a return at a JC Penny's Sephora and this was the only real full coverage foundation in the tiny place, so I decided to give it one more try since I needed a full coverage foundation that would stick in heat since I was going to an event outside. I watched some YouTube vids on how to use it and gave it another try....
THIS TIME I was blown away. It stuck to my SUPER SUPER oily skin in 90+ degree Utah summer weather.....I didn't even use a primer because I wanted to limit all the stuff on my face--all I put on was Dermalogica Oil control lotion. I let it sink in then I used a Sephora Mini Mineral Powder multi task brush to stipple it on, then I buffed it onto my face..I used My Too faced Cocoa Powder Foundation to lightly set it...then I misted my face with 2 squirts of Urban Decay Deslick makeup setting spray... it DID feel a bit hot for a minute....but afterwards....WOW!!!!!
THIS FOUNDATION WITHSTOOD heat..I sat all day at a Native American Pow wow (I am native....) I ran home and had to dig around in my closet to find something for my nephew and got sweaty a bit, then I ran back to the pow wow...I blotted my face once, but that was it..
I was AMAZED when I got home....it STILL looked half alright!!!!...it looked surely out did my regular Revlon ColorStay foundation!!!!!
This was today...as soon as I got home, I felt I had to write this Review.....it did last for sure...it does leave a nice canvas for makeup....and the only thing nimble hoping is that it doesn't break me out at all....I have oily skin and I am prone to adult acne...so I AM HOPING that I do not break out!!!! If I find it doesn't break me out....I have found my HG foundation....my search is over!!!!
This stuff is heavy duty!!!. It covered my acne scarring, hyper pigmentation, as well as a scar from an auto pedestrian accident that I have on my face. It does stand up to heat and does not melt off....it is terrific!!!!
If u do not like it---I would definitely look at you tube vids to see how others are applying this foundation and give it one more try.
I actually returned this.....then re purchased because I didn't have a choice, I had an event the next day and I couldn't run all over.. but the difference with application methods was like night and day!!!
I love this stuff!!! I will definitely keep using!!! If it breaks me out, I ll ju st save it for events, but I really hope I can use this EVERY time...It is that good!!! Big ups to you for this foundation Mz. KAT VON D!!!!!!!

on 7/20/2015 2:07:00 AM

I have this in light 42. The color is darker than my skin tone and the foundation travels all over my face after a few hours and looks greasy. definatley don't reccomemd.

on 7/18/2015 5:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is my holy grail of high end foundations! I have really bad skin on my forehead due to acne so there are heaps of scars there, and this foundation happened to cover it all up, and I only had to use a little bit (1 and a half pumps for my face and neck). The thing that made me really happy about this foundation too is that, because I live in Australia, most cosmetics here are not price matched to the ones in the USA, so for example MAC lipsticks which cost around 16USD (I believe?) in the states, cost 36AUD here, which is crazy!! But I was so happy to find out that when sephora opened in sydney, they would price match their exclusive cosmetic brands to the prices in the USA (thankfully one of the exclusive brands was kat von d), so the foundation only cost me 49AUD, where as some other foundations I find in myer, david jones and mecca are way more expensive and priced up. The smell of this foundation is actually quite pleasant, it was strange at first but I got used to it and it grew on me, as for the blendability of the foundation, it's definitely of a thicker formula so I was scared that it was going to be really hard to blend out by using my buffing brush ( I use the one by real techniques) but it was surprisingly easy. I love the matte finish of the foundation, since I hate for my blemishes to be highlighted in the sun due to an non matte foundation. It does stay on all day, which is great (my typical day is from 7am to 11pm) and on one particular day I had a date and then I had to go boxing, and I forgot my makeup wipes (which was really bad for my skin oops), so I was basically walking around all day, then I sweat a ton due to boxing and when I got home I realised the foundation had barely budged and it still looked great and covered everything. The only issue I have with this foundation is the pump, which honestly isn't a big deal. The foundation comes with a pump with a small little protective thing to cover up the pump hole, and I took it out to obviously pump the foundation onto my hand to put onto my face but didnt put the little protective thing back into the hole, and because that was the only thing keeping the product in the pump opening ( I don't know how to describe it haha) from drying up, the next day that I used it, the foundation at the pump opening was pretty much dried and I had to get a qtip soaked in makeup remover to wipe away the dried foundation at the opening so the rest of the foundation could be pumped out again, so lesson here is to keep the small cap in the pump opening at all times, but the downside is that it is a really small cap and it could be easily lost. Thankfully the pump problem isn't huge and in the end it doesn't matter because the formula and coverage of this foundation is so nice and I would definitely repurchase. Not to mention, Kat von d cosmetics are all amazing and I love the brand!!

on 7/14/2015 3:02:00 AM

I have a love/hate relationship with this foundation. I think it takes the right type of skin to wear it. Mine is a tad too dry so it really can accentuate flaky spots. It's very thick so I apply it with a beauty blender to thin it out. I've gotta say, it's definitely the most covering foundation I've tried. A little goes a long way so it'll last you a long time. Pros: good amount of product, easy to color match for pale skin, can double as a concealer Cons: kind of seperates on the skin after a few hours and can look dry, can look thick, not great for dry skin if you're looking for a very covering foundation and you're not worried about looking flaky or cakey, I'd try it out. maybe the right primer makes a better difference.

on 7/13/2015 3:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Frankly, I'm irritated by usage of the term "holy grail"... but I cannot contain myself. This is my HG foundation. Think of Michelangelo's "The Creation of Adam", but with you, and God is handing you this foundation; my reaction upon experiencing this product.

The packaging is beautiful and comes with a small plastic cap to keep product from coagulating in the nozzle.

This creamy foundation goes on with a satin shine. It is "buildable," assuming you'd need to build it considering that it's quite opaque within itself (I personally have only needed one small pump to do the job) and truthfully, you probably won't need concealer. Spreads easily and doesn't dry too fast. Workable.

I have a fairly oily face, and this product has not let me down: it doesn't run, blot, or gather. Just rests on my content, pale lady mug.

The endurance is substantial. I've attached a pic showing it through 2 hours wear, to 8 hours wear, and there is essentially no difference, except needing to blot for oil once or twice. This was without primer and my pores and lines were not emphasized at any time. (The marks on my nose are from my glasses.)

Suggestions for those considering: freshly cleanse your face before applying, and if you lean toward dryer skin, lightly moisturize. Do not slop on like you're painting or with your fingers: stipple-buff it onto your skin. You cannot use oil pastels like crayons and expect a masterpiece. I prefer to set it with powder. Remember, the coverage is powerful, so choose how you finish depending on what look you want. You will definitely have a clean airbrushed look if you use matte powder.

I very, very thoroughly recommend this foundation. Hallelujah.

on 7/9/2015 4:19:00 PM

This foundation!! when I'm having a bad skin week or when I'm too lazy to put on concealer this is my go-to foundation. It has a medium to full coverage....just make sure to use a damp beauty blender when applying and you will be good to go. i love this foundation and its great for the price.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

If you're looking for true-blue heavy duty coverage, then you have found it. This stuff does NOT screw around when it comes to coverage. It will hide anything and everything. Now, some people will say they want full coverage and then sigh and moan about how their face looks like a mask, or they hate how heavy it feels. I've got two things to say to that. 1. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE you're color matched. There won't be any skin showing through to save you with this stuff so you need to take home a few samples, try them all out in different lighting, and decide then. 2. If you can't handle feeling like something is on you're face, then you probably can't handle full coverage. I've been a full coverage junkie since I started wearing makeup in highschool, so to me the feeling is natural. I actually feel weird not having something on my face. This is a truly incredible product. Long wearing, complete coverage, matte finish, and it will last you FOREVER; but I would definitely take a sample home and try it over the course of a week before committing. Especially since the heavy formula makes some people break out (not me, but I see why it could). It's too pricey to trust to an impulse buy.

on 7/6/2015 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bloody love this stuff! I have oily skin with a few spots and blemishes and this foundation covered everything. EVERYTHING. I used less than one pump on my entire face and I swear to god everything looked flawless. I understand how some people may find it hard to blend but I personally did not have this issue myself. I simply cleansed and moisturised my face then spritzed the Mac fix+ spray 3 times onto my face and let it soak in. I then used a real techniques face brush and dabbed that lightly into the pump of foundation and buffed/patted it into a section of my face at a time. I have never had a foundation like this! It is so highly pigmented and the colour match (light 46) is amazing. It does not look or feel cakey either. It doesn't really have a smell and is rather smooth in texture. I have bought two bottles of this simply because I am THAT in love. I didn't even need to conceal anything including dark circles which is fantastic! If you love full coverage this is the foundation for you.

on 7/3/2015 12:14:00 PM

Not impressed at all!! I have put this on with my fingers, blending sponge, brush and it still looks dry and flat. I have a couple of small scars on my face and it did not really cover them that well. I prefer a foundation to give my skin a dewy glow which this did not do. I have dry skin and this just made it feel even more dry. It may be okay for people with oily skins but its too dry for me. On the plus side it did last well but Its way too expensive for what it is.

Video Reviews & Tutorials