August 27, 2014 | 1792 users online

Liquid - Neutrogena - Shine Control Makeup

rated 3 of 5 on 8/12/2014 12:48:00 PM More reviews by cristinabc

So I bought this thinking it would be good for me because I have super oily skin, and also acne prone. Thinking it would be great, lasting all day and all and it doesn't last long at all! The shine control is just BS!! I get shiny like an hour later and feels like it melts off my skin. And I also think its breaking me out aswell. I wish I could return it but I bought it out of the country. I do not recommend this foundation at all

rated 1 of 5 on 7/25/2014 1:56:00 AM More reviews by nanamisan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Omg where do I start. I had a bad experience with this from the very beginning. Picking out a color is extremely hard and the closest match was the lightest shade as the others were too dark or too pink. I bought anyway because cvs has a good return policy but this thing was 16 dollars! The only reason I wanted it was because I wanted a foundation without cones. Okay so I go to try this and literally the foundation is so thick it won't come out. But it's a pour bottle! You need like a tool to get this out or a qtip or a scoop or something. Like someone else said it's like putting toothpaste into a jar with a narrow opening. I could get past that, but the formula was horrid. It was so hard to apply, it would not blend, it was grainy like I was putting on an exfoliator or something. It clung to every dry patch that I didn't even know I had! I have severely oily skin normally!!! I tried to blend it some more and take my time but it started balling up and flaking off and getting in my hair! It looked awful. I did not mind the smell, it smelled literally like rice flour. But the formula was so bad and I looked so bad that I immediately had to go wash it off because I could not go to work like that. This is the only makeup I've ever applied in my life that I felt justified washing it off immediately. Worst foundation formula I've ever used and I'm returning it.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/25/2014 11:18:00 AM More reviews by arielise24

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had such high expectations for this product because of the brand. I regret spending 12 dollars on this crappy foundation. It melts off my face in 3 hours! Even with a primer and setting powder it does not last. The coverage is light and it blends in with my skin nicely, but it does not last at all. I like the SPF so I'll probably just use this for the beach when I want something light that I can apply sunscreen over. I do not recommend this product, it is horrible for oily skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/17/2014 3:01:00 PM More reviews by ilovemakeup15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I decided to grab this because I ran out of my revlon color stay and they didn't have my color in stock. The shine control caught my attention because it's summer and I get oily. I used it for a few days and omg I was a shiny mess in the middle of the day. The foundation was blotchy and just a mess. Definitely returning it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2014 1:21:00 AM More reviews by velvetgirl

I was looking for something to replace my clinique acne solutions foundation. I break out super easy so I didn't have more hope to find anything at the drugstore that would work. I settled on this! First off I have not felt any grittiness or any grains. It's completely smooth and totally thick! It's next to impossible to get any out of the bottle. I finally decided to stick a q tip in and that worked quite well. Then I just smoothed it all over with my fingers. It smooths out well has a thicker/heavier coverage than I'm used to but it felt light on and gave great coverage. It did not hide my pores. But no foundation has done that for me, not even primer. I will update if I happen to notice it breaks me out. But hopefully this is a keeper. I feel overall this foundation is better than clinique's acne solutions.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2014 3:49:00 PM More reviews by jenglund

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I don't get the "gritty" thing at all. I've bought 2 bottles (Classic and Natural Ivory--I can wear both and I'm NC15ish), and neither have been gritty.

Thick, though, yes--I get that. A little tough to get out of the bottle. Also a little thick on the face. I tried it with the Shine Control primer and without, and I didn't see any big difference with the primer. Then again, I use it over CeraVe AM, which is fairly thick itself (and can turn anything oily/greasy if overapplied).

I think the best way to do this is with a sponge, only where I need evening out (e.g., Beauty Blender). I can't stick my fingers in it and smudge it all over every inch of my face for the "full makeup" effect like I tend to do if I'm being lazy and feeling like I'm about to have a Bad Face Day. It's too thick.

The redeeming thing about this foundation for me is that it DOES NOT CONTAIN CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, and I almost jumped up and down when I found that. As someone else mentioned, if you run this through CosDNA or just do a quick look over the ingredients, there's nothing too scary in here. I can only see it being a breakout risk if it is worn too long or improperly removed, but not due to any ingredient. I am super happy about this, because Almay Clear Complexion used to be my go-to foundation (and I really only wear foundation for special occasions or during the winter months when I need some color)...then within the last few years, they changed the formula and inserted Cyclopentasiloxane into the foundation AND the concealer. Nooooo!!! (If you are curious, please see the entire MUA review entry for this ingredient. It is bad, bad tiny bump-causing, cystic pimple-forming news for many of us). Everything has this ingredient now!!! (Except this).

So while it's not perfect, I do hope they keep making it. I find I don't even need a concealer when I wear this, which is very rare for me since I have redness and sun spots and all other things that cause one to want to never leave the house (even for a second!) without concealer.

I might actually try this as a concealer since most of my other go-to's have been "infected" with new reformulations including cyclopentasiloxane and since this is so thick.

EDIT: does get a little oily/greasy/shiny as the day goes on. Aw, man :( maybe I'll keep it around "just in case."

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2014 12:53:00 PM More reviews by angiee0215

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

About me: Extremely acne prone with normal skin sometimes combination in the summer. I used to be dry but I changed my Birth Control and my skin has changed to normal. After reading reviews on this product I noticed it doesn't have the best shine control, which is what I do not want since I am not super oily. Also, I ran it through Cosdna for acne causing agents and it passed.

Pros
-I don't feel the grains everyone says but I apply it with the damp real techqniues sponge so that might be why
-medium to build able coverage
-it dries down matte on my skin and I am satin by the end of the day (NOT GOOD FOR OILY skin)
-Lightest shade is a perfect match for NC15
-No breakouts but it doesn't heal current breakouts
-light weight feel

Cons
-Doesn't have a pump and this is an issue because this is a thicker consistency (reminds me of revlon colorstay whipped)
-NOT for oily skin. Those who are normal to dry would actually like this to get a matte to satin finish
-a little on the expensive side for drugstore but there are always coupons/sales

If you are normal to dry skin and you are looking for a new foundation than this is for you. I can understand why those who are oily who expected oil control and did not like the foundation. However, i am not looking for oil control and I like it.

Even though it is marketed as a shine control, this foundation is an HG for me. I usually love my Clinique even better but this beats it because it is a perfect color match where the clinique is not. However, I still love my clinique even better.
Update 4/30/2014: I am still loving this! No breakouts :)

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2014 1:39:00 PM More reviews by taylorlalaine

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This foundation isn't worth your money. I've used it for more than a full school semester but I bought it simply because I have very oily skin. It does not do good at controlling oil at all - lasts barely 3 hours and my foundation starts to break down and transfers very easily onto my clothes and justs melts off my face. However, it has pretty good coverage. I'd say medium to full and covers up my acne and redness without a concealer and it doesn't break me out. I'm still not satisfied so I'm looking for a new foundation that will control oil and not break me out.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/11/2014 4:29:00 PM More reviews by cheljo01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Even after reading the reviews, I decided to buy this in the Nude 40. I used it for a couple of weeks and just returned it to the store. I don't think it is a shine control, for long anyways. After a couple of hours, I could see the shine coming through. By the end of the day, I looked like a grease bucket. I don't know about you, but that is not sexy to me. This is my routine: pour some foundation on the back of my hand and then dot it onto my face and blend. Well this morning gave me a shock. After I had poured it onto my hand, I noticed the edges where the skin met the foundation turned black!! I was completely surprised by this. So, I decided to dot it on my face and see if the blackness appears on the edges of the dot. Yup, sure as heck did. It went away after I blended, but it got me to thinking of what is in this product to turn my skin black instantly! The active ingredient is Titanium Dioxide. I don't know whether or not this is the reason, and I don't know if it's just my skin/only me that this happens to, but I decided right then and there to take it back. I emailed customer service so they are aware of the effect. It threw me off guard. Luckily I save my receipt and am now going to try another one of Neutrogena....we shall see how this goes....

I gave it the Overall Rating of 2 Lippies because I did think that it matched my skin tone well and that it did clear up some trouble spots, but not all. 5 Lippies for the price...seriously, is it really worth $12? no. and then 3 Lippies for the packaging....it was like hell shaking it out.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/2/2014 5:08:00 PM More reviews by justjennieereviewingg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this product about 2 months ago after trying the skinclearing foundation which was amazing but sadly this foundation had NO shine control if anything it made my face look like I got a bottle of baby oil and poured it all over only after 4 hours of applying it. I was upset because their pigments are so good and it match my skin so well, coverage was not that great but I liked that it felt light on my skin but I had to toss it after 3 uses. I would not recommend on oily skin.