Clarins Instant Liner

3.6

on 12/7/2014 12:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

For the past 4 years I have been a black liquid liner junkie - I've tried them all, Smashbox, Hourglass, Kat Von D, Stila, etc. This has to be one of my all time favourites. I was surprised at all the negative reviews but, I think I've figured out why so many people have trouble with this, so before you discount this entirely, hear me out!

Firstly, it isn't waterproof - it's long wearing. That being said, I ALWAYS wear eyeshadow primer plus a neutral eyeshadow before applying any liquid liner (or regular pencil liner). This will prevent the natural oils on your eyelids from reacting with the liner and smudging it. I haven't had one single issue with this liner transferring, or smudging at all when I wear primer+eyeshadow - this creates a good base for anything to last all day. If you wear this on your bare eyelid, you will probably experience issues.

Second, this isn't the best liquid liner for beginners. If this was my first liquid liner I'd have some trouble with it but, I've literally been wearing liquid liner daily for years so I like to think I have a good grasp on applying. The formula is slightly more liquidly than others but it dries very fast.

Here's why I love this liner: It's SUPER black and opaque. It's a true black colour which you don't find it many liquid liners (most almost seem grey or faint black). It's also MATTE! Which I love, love, love. For some reason the look of a matte liquid liner is so beautiful and rich compared to shiny finishes - and this liner keeps its initial intensity throughout the entire day. No fading at all.

Going through all the negative reviews, I can safely say that if you a) wear eyeshadow primer and b) put a neutral shadow over that to create a good base this liner will become your new favourite. Make sure you give it a second to dry after you apply and have some patience if you are new to liquid liners in general.

on 12/22/2013 8:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Instant Liner is by far one of the better liquid liners for creating many different looks, styles and eyeliner shapes. The brush doesn't have loose hairs or a rigid felt tip applicator, but instead is a good mix between the two giving the user better control. The liquid is not too shiny once set and doesn't dry a different colour. I recommend that you have a lot of practice with cheaper eyeliner before purchasing and expensive liner as they can run out quick. I am happy with this addition to my makeup bag and has replaced my old favourite L'Oréal eyeliners.

A very blue-black liner and is definitely not recommended for people who have just started using eyeliner or liquid liner. It's hard to manage and can become very wonky if you don't have much experience, trust me haha. Beware, it is definitely not waterproof!!!!!! I've actually grown to like this product but since it was a gift, I'm a bit iffy with buying this product myself as it is pretty expensive for a liner that doesn't please me as well as I'd thought

on 2/24/2013 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Probably one of the worst eyeliners I have ever used and I'm not even kidding which is the sad part. It smudges, it is not particularly black, very watery, very hard to apply and is SUPER messy. Ugh. Just hate this stuff. Wish I had the receipt!

on 6/4/2012 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

This is the blackest eyeliner I have ever found. Unfortunately, that's where the good points end. The formula is the very opposite of waterproof, and streaks and runs at the slightest bit of moisture - tears, rain, humidity etc. The brush is tricky to master and deposits too much product, so you need to wipe the applicator on the lid of the bottle to take off the excess. I can't do precise, thin lines with it either, only thicker solid lines. If I do do flicks on the corner of my eyes, the eyeliner's formula is so easily-transferable that they won't be there a few hours later. I just can't rely on this eyeliner to not smudge and smear!

on 5/3/2012 8:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

Very good liquid liner. Its extremely dark and the wand is something like a sponge tip. Its firm where I can do both thin and thick lines. I find this much easier to work with than the liners from both Lacome and Dior.

on 3/5/2012 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I was getting a bit sick of kohl pencils and twist-up eyeliner sticks that just weren't black enough or smooth enough for me. The only one that I hold in high regard is an Indian brand called Chambor, which makes a truly buttery, rich, budgeproof, water resistant one called Dazzle.
But I'm not skilled enough to do wings with a pencil so I went swatching for a liquid one with a sponge-tip wand.
Yes I saw the Artliner and it was too expensive. L'Oreal and the smaller brands had too-watery formulas. But Clarins had the full package. Glossy black, a sponge-tip of the perfect size and resistance (rubbery but firm), and extremely long wear without peeling (Artliner did that). Pricey, yes, but it made no compromises.
It's gorgeous. I could control the thickness of the line at my very first go, the formula stayed put where applied and dried quickly. The only con (and I'm going to be gross here) is that at the end of the day, when I'm taking off my eye make-up, the eye goop is jet black.
And yes I can now do winged tips. Though getting both eyes to match certainly takes some practice