December 21, 2014 | 1088 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Nice 'n Easy Frost and Tip in Maximum Blonde Highlights (light to dark brown hair)

rated 2 of 5 on 11/1/2014 9:33:00 PM More reviews by Savka

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't understand why everyone likes it. Regular market stuff very drying. Nothing special. Sorry

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2014 12:56:00 AM More reviews by CAZUAE

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

HUGE THANKS to all the MUAers who reviewed this product and whose wisdom and advice I benefited from. You were not wrong! This is an amazing product!! I felt I had to return the favour and add my own experience for other newbies like me to the world of at-home highlighting!

A bit of background - living in Dubai for 24 years as a british expat I thought nothing of spending the equivalent of USD300 on a cut/highlights, in fact I thought it was money well spent as I was generally lucky enough to always have a great experience and have always had compliments on my hair which, when done right, even I will admit is really pretty. Just as well really as the rest of me is a wreck! lol

Moving on to this year. I moved to the US, got married and I'm unemployed til the green card comes through. So. No spare pennies for my usual luxuries and who spends that kind of money on their hair anyway?! (idiots like me obviously! I was young and foolish.. ). As a result I decided to go 'au naturel' with my fine textured medium ash blonde hair which is passable as long as I have a good cut. But this week I've been feeling a bit blah and looking through some old pics... Conclusion being that I needed to go back to my vavavoom highlighted phase! But how when I only have a few pennies in my pocket? Home colouring of course.. but as I don't sneeze without first checking a review on MUA I needed to do a bit of research... And ultimately my decision was, based on the rave reviews of so many, that Clairol Frost & Tip was the way to go for a cheap and instant pick me up. So off to RiteAid I skip... until I discover that it is nearly $16 vs the $10 I had heard of here @ MUA. Mmmmm... worth it to drive over to the local Wally World? I believed so.. and happy that I did. I picked it up for $9.99! Bargain.

Now, don't get me wrong, despite my confidence in fellow MUAers there was still a lot of trepidation in taking this decision. I have NEVER highlighted my own hair before. Right up until the point of pulling through my first strand I was still deliberating.... but then I thought 'so many fabulously sexy savvy women can't be wrong' and simply went for it... and glad I did.

CONS
. Fellow reviewers were right on the button - the plastic hook is rubbish - next time I am going to get a metal version.
. There aren't holes in every blue circle on the cap - I had to push the hook through the plastic on at least 13 occasions to make my own holes in order to balance them out on both sides.. I was not at all impressed with that as the cap is a really important part of the process - get that wrong and even if the colour is amazing it will just look bad. I also worried that this might mean I would get a 'holey' look due to the bleach leeching through the larger holes I had made but it didn't seem to happen luckily. Even so, the cap could benefit from some improvement.
. It is SO fiddly and time consuming pulling the hair through.. I didn't find it yanked any out of my head but my arms ached and I got a headache!... and I only did the front head section!! This would take hours if you did the whole head so serious patience is a must! It took me about an hour for the front, but perhaps it will be quicker next time now that I am a pro! lol

Bet you're wondering why I gave it a 5 star now! Well here you go...

PROS
. The colour is AMAZING and I didn't need a toner!!!! I didn't do the strand test, I am used to seeing the colour it needs to be before it gets washed off from my salon experiences so I just kept an eye on it.... it took 25 mins before I got to the CREAM COLOUR stage (this is important ladies... unless your hair is literally falling out you have to be patient and let the colour develop fully) after going through a very brief yellow phase. But remember that I am already pretty light - it will likely take you much longer if you have darker hair. I also used a hot hairdryer for around 3 minutes.
. While the highlighting phase makes your hair look like cotton candy, I did not find any breakage or falling hair once it was washed off. It feels great, but again, I only did the face framing area.
. I liked that the cap clearly marks where you should pull through depending on the look you want... pretty foolproof if you are able to pull through similar amounts of hair on both sides. I had to go back over some of mine and pull through a little more hair to balance it up but if you look carefully it is easy to figure out. Mine looks pretty even.
. Everything I needed was in the box! I loved that as I hate having to organise other bits and pieces, it's laborious enough doing things at home without that added hassle.
. The price! I used 1/2 of the product as I only did the front... 5 dollars!!! Where on this planet can you find something so good for so little?? BARGAIN!!!

I am seriously chuffed to pieces with the results of this colour... it isn't quite as good as my salon highlights but not because the product isn't brilliant or capable, simply because I am a novice. I expect that with time and practice and patience you could actually get the results of a top end salon from this product.

Thanks again to all those who reviewed this product. It helped me make the right decision. I can't imagine I will ever spend $300 on colouring my hair ever again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2014 9:29:00 PM More reviews by NicoIcon999

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My hair goes a bit past the bottom of my ribcage so I was a little nervous about pulling these long strands through the little holes. My mom did this for me when I was about 16 and I loved the results. But oh my God! The pain! She wasn't very gentle and I remember sitting on the floor with watering eyes convinced she was doing it on purpose. I had tucked all of my hair in the cap and previously pulled strands were getting pulled back in when a new hole was started. It was a mess which is why it's been 15 years before I was brave enough to have it done again. First of all, if you have longer hair, you will almost certainly need help. Pulling the hair through will create little loops that need to be combed through and it's difficult to see if you've missed them. I had my boyfriend help me this time and he was way more gentle than my mom! He started from the back like another reviewer suggested, and that seemed to be easier. Also, for me anyway, the cap slipped around a lot and kept moving further and further back without me noticing. So next time, I plan on holding the front of the cap while the back is getting done to prevent slipping. To fix that, he created a few holes in front where there weren't any. Also, I kept my hair sticking out of the bottom. I don't know if this is common sense or not, the instructions didn't really say whether long hair should be tucked in and the little picture in the instructions was of a girl with shorter hair. But keeping it out made pulling much smoother. I was worried I would have half orange and half auburn hair, but it looks great! And no orange! I have never lightened my hair without having bright orange roots! Another helpful tip was to rinse and remove while under the shower. The cap will just slip off. Much easier! I'm really satisfied with the results. I just can't believe how light it got. I really planned on spending this weekend trying to correct it. Paid under $10 at walmart and only needed one kit for my long hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2014 4:25:00 PM More reviews by TheMickster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I decided to use this to refresh my roots at home and not pay top dollar salon prices. Overall it's a great bleach for people with darker hair. I have medium/dark brown. Pros: cap was double layered (prevents bleeding of bleach) so I didn't have to put a plastic bag underneath it. Cap was very tight fitting which is a plus! It needs to be right fitting in order to get close to the root and also to help avoid bleeding (when bleach expands thru the cap holes causing spots in hair). Holes circled for perfect and even highlighting. Great bleach and bleach consistency. Crazy awesome price $8.99 at target. Cons: crappy mixing bowl. Really crappy gloves! They were like 3 sizes too big. Crappy hook. I looked for my metal one but couldn't find it so I had to make due with the plastic one. It didn't break though so I can't really complain. Tips: I am a stylist, so here are a few valuable tips for this bleaching kit: be careful not to poke holes too big in cap. This can cause bleeding. Always start pulling the hair thru at the bottom and work your way up. This really makes things quicker because you won't have a bunch of hair pieces dangling in your way as you try and pull strands thru. After pulling all your strands thru, take a fine toothed comb and comb out all the loops. Make sure your cap has been tightened very right before combing. Always start by putting bleach in the back of your hair. The back tends to take longer to process. If virgin hair, cover it all, starting at the bottom of your hair and working your way to the root (root processes faster as it is closer to the heat of your scalp). If already lightened just touch roots and comb bleach thru rest of hair in the last 10 min to brighten it up. Put a blow dryer on low and heat the hair (make sure plastic bag is covering it) for 5 min. You can do this a few times throughout the process for really dark hair. Be sure to check it often and condition it heavily after. Try putting a bag over the conditioner and let it sit for an hour or two for extra moisture. Keep a toner handy in case you pull orange/red tones.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2014 3:42:00 PM More reviews by strakale

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Just used this product last night & was really impressed! I paid $15.99 at CVS for this, which I felt was a bit high for an at home coloring kit, but it's still much cheaper than having it done at a salon, and I'm guessing it's cheaper elsewhere & coupons are available.
I want to start by saying that my hair tends to pull reddish, and so I was expecting to have to be very careful about processing it long enough (I did it the maximum amount of time), and I assumed I'd need a blue toner afterwards (which I didn't!).
The kit comes with the powdered bleach, developer, a plastic cap and a hook/speading tool. The cap fit me just fine, but I suggest putting it on as tightly as you can stand, because it's easier to get the hair through that way, and you'll get your hair all the way out, avoiding roots. The cap is an old fashioned style of highlighting, as far as I know, but it's much safer for beginners, because it really keeps extra bleach from running back onto the parts that you don't want bleach or from burning the scalp. The cap is double layered, and the holes on mine were only in the top layer, the bottom layer I had to punch holes with my hook while I pulled hair. I don't know if this was intentional or a design flaw. It was slightly annoying, but not horrible. The cap is divided into sections, so that you can decide where you want highlights (I did them all over this time- for touch ups, I'll probably just do the front sections). About every other hole is circled, and they suggest just doing the circled holes for regular highlights, more if you want heavy highlights. I just did the circled holes, which didn't seem like very many highlights, but it came out to be the perfect amount, so I recommend that.
The actual act of pulling the hair through the holes does take quite a bit of time, and can get frustrating. I did most of the ones in the front, and my husband did the back for me. I suggest getting a SO or friend to help with the back, because it was near impossible to do myself & I would've gotten very frustrated. If you're more patient, you may have different results.
Before putting on color, I tightened the cap, and combed my strands to make sure that the root was out of the cap & that there were no loops.
After you get the hairs you want out of the cap, you mix the bleach & developer. You're supposed to use the spreading tool to spread it over your strands, but I found it useless & just used my gloved hands (wear the gloves!! It will burn otherwise). I mostly just did my roots, as I have very old highlights, and it ended up matching well (I was worried it wouldn't). If you don't have previous highlights, you do the length of your hair. Then, you cover it with a plastic bag (included) and develop based on the time it took your test strand to develop. I skipped the test strand, because it suggested cutting out a piece of hair (no thanks!). Instead, I started checking it at 20 minutes & every 5 minutes after that. To check, I just lifted the bag, and rubbed a strand a bit. If it still looks yellow/orangish, leave longer). My hair took the full 55 minutes (as I said, it pulls orange, so I really want it done).
When it's developed, take off bag, rinse, then remove cap, wash, condition with included deep conditioner.
I am so impressed!! It looks like salon quality highlights. No orange, perfect amount of highlights. I will definitely use again! As I mentioned, if you have any off color, just follow up with a toner (go to Sally's and ask for a rec), but that's the only thing I could see going wrong with this kit (and it's generally due to processing the wrong amount of time). Otherwise, foolproof!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2013 4:19:00 AM More reviews by beauteee94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So let me first start off by saying this product gave me really great highlights! However there are three major components to this highlighting kit (to me anyway) that are very important in achieving great highlights! So the first is obviously the bleach. The bleach for this highlighting kit was incredible! It didn't smell awful, it was easy to mix and apply, and it must have had some toner or something in it because my hair did not come out at all brassy (which is very unusual as I tend to pull red/orange). So obviously good bleach is a great attribute to this product however the two other components were less stellar in my opinion. The cap and hook are the other two major parts of this high lighting lot and these were very hard to use. I actually didn't mind pulling my hair through the cap like some people but the cap was very tight on my head and barely fit! This made it very hard to pull the hair through correctly. Also the hook was made of plastic and I actually broke mine and had to go buy a metal hook from Sally's. Because of this I can't give this product a 5/5 but it definitely deserves a 4/5 primarily on the fact that the bleach was so good! Good luck to anybody planning on using it and be prepared to look fabulous!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2013 6:33:00 AM More reviews by smac01

OMG best hair bleach i have ever used. It looks exactly the same as what my hairdresser does and im gutted i didnt find it sooner, i get my boyfriend to pull my hair through from the back of my head as the process is extremely tedious but so worth the results.
used twice now, first time i used a toner afterwards and it dimmed the colour immensly, second time without toner and the colour is staying put. I had to use the joico K-PAK reconstructor as i have fine hair but will defo be repurchasing!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2012 7:49:00 PM More reviews by kprizzl87

*******DO NOT use this product if you over react easily about your hair!!!!! If you freak out about the color before you use a toner to correct it, you should save yourself the stress and get it done professionally. You need to be patient. If you are using this to bleach your whole head, you have to accept the fact that your hair will be orange the first time potentially. It is just part of the process. If your using it to bleach your whole hair, pick a time where you can sport orange hair for a few days before you apply it a second time. Its all part of the fun, and trust me!!!!! ITS SO WORTH IT!!! *******

I used this product to bleach my entire head of hair... Shocked on how great this product was!!!!!!! Saved sooooooooooooo much money!!! And my hair is sooo silky! But be careful and take your time.

My original hair color is ash brown, and my hair is very fine. Been dying for almost 12 years. The last year I have been dying my hair red.

Months ago, found out a coworker uses this product for her roots- blew my mind since her hair looks soooo good! After years of always wanting to go blonde, but never having a hair dresser who would do it, I decided to give it a go at home.

First I used Loreal Haircolor remover to strip the hair. I messed up and accidently got it on my roots and bleached them. The final result was dark roots in some areas, blonde roots in others, and ORANGE hair. To be expected!!

I gave it 4 days- then applied the first application of Frost and Tip. I was cautious to avoid my roots during the first 20 min, then applied to all the other areas (except for the roots that turned blonde from the color stripper). I made the mistake of using up all my hair dye after finishing the roots. MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE SOME EXTRA because I kept finding random areas in the back of my head that were missed!! Left it on for 60 min in total. Washed out- turned light orange/yellow.

Waited 3 more days, then applied 2nd coat. I did the similar process, first avoiding the roots, then halfway in, coating all the hair. I was VERY cautious this second time to make sure the back of my head was not neglected. Waited 60 min. Washed out with purple shampoo. Light yellow color.

I then immediately toned it with Wella T18 toner. Left it on for 8 minutes. (Turns your hair purple fast, so be cautious!!) Washed out with purple shampoo.

Then used deep conditionar and then after towel dried, applyed a keratin spray treatment.

Final product?

Almost platnium blonde hair. Considering how much I botched the color stripping process, the overall color is great!!! No zebra streaks.

My ends were already dry, so I was just anticpating on the need to get them trimmed about 3 inches after all the chemicals. I AM shocked to say that my hair is actually softer now than it was before!!!

Love love love love love it!!! Will definately use it again for touch ups.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2012 7:03:00 PM More reviews by turtlesaurus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this about a month ago and ended up getting SO frustrated trying to pull strands of hair through the cap that i gave up and threw the entire thing away. Ever since then, the girl on the box has been haunting me with her little smirk everytime i go down the hair product aisle at the store. Unable to deal with the feeling of defeat any longer i repurchased this and gave it another... more determined... shot. Ladies, be sure to go into this whole process with ALOT of patience especially if you have long hair and want the highlights all over! On my second attempt i realized that starting at the back of my head when pulling strands through worked out MUCH better than starting at the front. I probably shoulda known better the first time but didnt put much thought into it and by the time i started trying to pull through the hair on the back of my head the hook would get caught on hair that had already been pulled through the holes ... and wowww i had a horrible, tangled up mess. Once the tedious part was over, I applied the bleach, wrapped it up, and left it on for 30 min. I am absolutly in LOVE now!!!!! I've always had my highlights done at a salon with the tinfoil and this looks just as great! I feel like a professional lol. So if you want to save a good 70 bucks and spend maybe an extra hour longer than you would at a salon ... for the same fabulous look ... GET THIS!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by Sneev

I used this yesterday on my shoulder length, wavy, hennaed hair. It took FOREVER to pull strands of hair through the cap but I'm glad I did because it looks amazing. Because I bleached over hennaed hair (beware-if you bleach over hair that wasn't dyed with pure henna it can have disastrous consequences) it gave me these beautiful golden-with-a-kiss-of-red highlights, and because I took the time to tediously pull my hair through all the holes, not just those circled in blue, I look truly sun kissed and not DIY. I only left it on for about ten minutes. I definitely recommend this, just make sure you have enough time to devote to pulling your hair through the cap or have a friend help. Hope this helps :)