October 21, 2014 | 2065 users online

Fragrances - Bourbon French - Mon Amour

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2012 2:40:00 PM More reviews by CRosieB

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Just lovely, truly. What a sophisticated, yet playful and almost cozy scent - cherries, vanilla, soft woods, a hint of floral, truly lovely.

I don't think I have ever come across a Bourbon French scent I did not enjoy - some weren't for me (too floral) - but overall this is the best fragrance house on this side of the Atlantic ocean. A fragrance house for perfume lovers, not amateur mall shoppers :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2012 9:56:00 AM More reviews by EnFragrancee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If you were given a blind sniff and had to guess, you might think this was a vintage, unreformulated house of Evyan fragrance. It smells nothing like the cherry sundae the notes would lead you to expect. Instead it gives a luxury, 1930s retro impression. It smells like the scent my grandmother's perfume left on her pride and joy sealskin fur coat in the 1950s. [She could afford (barely) one fur coat and one quality perfume, and they both came from the '30s.] If you hadn't read the notes, you'd swear it was a creamy floral w/ a bit of powdery amber base, though you wouldn't be able to put your finger on which flowers (heliotrope w/ a trace of tuberose?). It is smooth, womanly, and a tad formal--definitely for evening--and smells MUCH more expensive than it is. To men, it makes you smell touchable (that creamy, smooth, yielding quality), though it is not for clubbing 20-somethings. The perfume strength is extremely longlasting.

As w/ all Bourbon French fragrance, it is imperative to buy the full-strength perfume--not because the others don't last, but because the carrier for the other versions is not as nice as it should be and smells a bit harsh. If you are a woman over 35, and actually dress up when you go out, this is a must-have.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2011 4:01:00 AM More reviews by AbsoluteScentualist

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is the newest creation from BF and is in the Collection No. 1. I love Bourbon French and their sister perfumery Lagniappe Oaks and have been delighted with almost everything I've bought. That's especially impressive considering most have been untested purchases. Their old-fashioned feel, lovely packaging and amazing prices make it easy to try many items and the customer service is fantastic.

But enough about the company and on to the perfume!

Mon Amour is a sensual blend of vanilla, amber, black cherry and musk. The notes alone caught my attention since I love all of them alone or together (though usually I get my cherry fix from almond and don't see black cherry as a note very often in general).

As soon as I opened the small bottle of parfum extrait and dabbed a bit on the back of my hand, it was my new love indeed!

Out of the bottle the amber takes the lead with a subtle hint of cherry--you really have to inhale hard to catch it--and then a sweet muskiness floats in soft as a cloud, wrapping itself around the amber seconds after blooming on the skin. The Vanilla and musk (not a soapy musk but not dirty either) gets more intense as the amber softens a bit and the overall impression brought to mind something with a strong 80's feel. Not in the way many 80's perfumes threaten to wear the wearer, but much more personal for me.

Specifically how my older sister would smell when leaving for a school dance while I watched her lengthy ablutions in little sis wonder. She smelled of an ambery musk perfume and vanilla flavored lipstick, maybe enjoying a cherry candy while she waited for her friends to pick her up. I thought she was so grown up and remember how lovely she smelled when she walked by on her way out the door.

It was a fun memory and I love that about Bourbon French. Their fragrances are like beautiful moments from times past, even if the creation is brand new to me and the personal fragrance memories have yet to be made. They feel classy without seeming as if trying too hard, settle on me like a second skin and are always a special pleasure to behold in my collection or take out and apply.

I ordered Mon Amour in the parfum and the lasting power wasn't extreme. Maybe three or four hours, but again this was dabbed and my skin devours perfumes. When I decant their parfums into spray bottles, the staying power improves quite a bit and they linger beautifully on clothing. I will come back and edit my review if the staying power changes with Mon Amour after it's been decanted into a different bottle, and have read that other reviewers have found different concentrations to have surprising staying power and sillage beyond the parfum concentration of that particular fragrance so ymmv. :)

Again, this is a sweet musk that would melt into the most delicious skin scent and feels out of time in a refreshing and wonderful fashion. Those who don't like fruit wouldn't necessarily need to avoid Mon Amour as the black cherry note's appearance is brief and subtle. If vanilla or amber is a favorite note, this is a sexy interpretation in a snuggly 'come closer' sort of way. But it is sweet to be sure and sillage is pretty good though it won't fill a room.

All in all, this is gorgeous, a bit playful and very enticing. Mr. Ab. Scent is so used to my dabbing myself from this vile and that bottle that he, too, has gotten rather particular and it takes something special to interest him. But this not only got an "Mmmm..." but he actually caught my wrist for a second sniff. Perhaps this is a bedtime perfume as well. ;) Love and I'll definitely be buying more products in the line... Perhaps even the generous fragrance wardrobe so I can wear this glorious creation from head to toe.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No