April 24, 2014 | 957 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Kaleidocolors Tonal Powder Lightener

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 1/21/2014 2:30:00 AM More reviews by bdeases

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product dried out my hair after following the directions and leaving it on for only 10 minutes turned my hair orange/yellowish besides that it is very unhealthy for you to even get this product on your skin. It turned my hands an almost burned white color on my skin and fingers. After reading the MSDS provided on Proctor & Gambles website - this product is certainly hazardous to your hair, scalp and health. Do not breathe in the powder vapors at all.
It will cause you to have gastrointestinal problems as it did to me. I had to drink a full glass of milk to help my stomach - made me sick to my stomach and not to mention the burning sensation it caused my scalp. NOT TO MENTION a lot of hair loss about 50 strands came out of my hair.
I do not recommend this product or will not ever use it again...
I am looking to an alternative to all the bad and unsafe chemicals that are used in all hair color products. Should anyone know of more healthy and natural products please share it with the rest of us..

rated 1 of 5 on 9/11/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by Aniax021

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought the violet one and the blue one.
My natural hair color is light-medium brown.

I first did a test strand and the purple one gave me a very ashy result, which I did not like.
Then I tested the blue one and it was slightly better, no ashiness at least.

So, I thought since I really needed to do all of my roots, I would just use the blue one, and now that my roots are done..I can def. see the results better.

I found both of these to look very fake! the color was similar to that of a highlighter, very tin foil like..it def. does not look natural..which I was surprised because this is supposed to have a toner in it....
Also, if you happen to get some on your already blonde hair it will turn blue/or purple..
which is not ok,...since you're supposed to kind of blend the color in..:/

Also, this bleach dried the hell out of my hair, like nothing I'v used before..I'v used the Wella bleach, Ion bleach..nothing has dried out my hair like this one, I was surprised because it claims to have aloe vera and all this stuff in it...nope! dried my hair out completely.

AND! this stuff takes a very long time to process which doesn't help with the damage..
Usually I leave my bleach on for 40 mins and it's done!
This bleach I left it on for an hour! and it was still not done processing...the front of my hair was still dark yellow/slight orange-y color...I thought wth! I am not leaving this on my hair for over an hour that's not good for your hair.

...overall, I found this product to be very disappointing, def. not what it claims to be..but then claims are only for marketing purposes..

I found this bleach to be very damaging/very drying.
Color did not turn out the way I was expecting. very fake looking.
Processing time takes waay too long, nobody should leave bleach on their hair for over an hour!
Damaging, damaging, damaging product.

Will not repurchase, would not recommend...unless maybe you're someone who only wants to life 2-3 shades..:/

rated 2 of 5 on 4/5/2013 10:43:00 PM More reviews by lisaydg

This bleach isn't terrible but it doesn't lift as well as it should, If you are just looking to go maybe 2 shades lighter then it is okay, however that wasn't what I needed when I went from a medium/dark brown color to blonde and I even used 30 volume developer. I recommend using Quick Blue bleach with 30 volume developer because that bleach lifts much better.
QUICK TIP:
Want to save your hair from damage while bleaching it? Saturate your hair in organic virgin coconut oil and let it sit in your hair 1 hour then color/bleach/tone your hair with the oil on it. Damage will be greatly minimized and the chemicals will actually lift or deposit better depending on what the product is for.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 8:42:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have used this many times and I love it. I use a 30 volume peroxide with it. A 20 volume will not pull the color out that the reviewer below wanted. So that is very misleading review about this bleach. This is excellent and when used properly I rarely need a toner unless I want to use one depending on the blonde colour I'm going for.

I use the Orange package on my hair now since it's a medium to light blonde with ultra blonde highlights. Almost white with no brassy-ness. I have yet to have uneven color removal with this formula. This is the one clairol hair product that I just adore! I have another pack calling my name ;). I think anyone who works with bleach knows the risk it can have on one's hair. I find this to be one of the more gentle bleaches for me which is why I really like it as well.

If you do your hair yourself or want it highlighted this is a great product. Highly recommended!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/9/2013 8:16:00 PM More reviews by NeonBiitch

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this in violet and use with 20vol developer (1scoop : 1small bowl cream devlp), let sit for 30min. This bleach is very gentle... or maybe I'm using it too gently! It takes me a few times of bleaching before it actually gets my hair significantly lighter-- and it took like 8 to get the blue dye out of my bangs. Make sure to SATURATE your hair, and if you're going for blonde use a purple shampoo b/c this doesn't do a great job toning.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2013 2:27:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

I just used this today on my hair and I am very impressed. My goal was to do some caramel highlights to bring some light to my face as my hair is dark brown. I bought a packet of the tonal powder in neutral and used a 20 developer from Clairol. I followed the directions and processed it for ten minutes, but felt I could leave it on for an additional ten minutes. The highlights came out great! My hair didn't feel fried or stiff and there was no brassiness which I was apprehensive about. I couldn't believe that I only paid less than eight dollars for both the developer and tonal powder. Overall, I would buy this again and experiment more with time.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2012 2:07:00 PM More reviews by kuhjeerie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have been fiddling with my natural hair color for 10 years, and this is my favorite product for any sort of lightening. I have natural level 2 hair, and this (with a 40 vol. developer) brings me to caramel in 10 minutes, blonde in 20 without applying heat. It smells really good and doesn't cause more damage than any other product I've tried. Great for highlights or all-over color. VERY economical in the 8oz. tub. The Blue is the best to use for those of us with reddish tones in our hair. Violet doesn't lift or tone satisfactorily for me. Kaleidocolors has a lifetime customer!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2012 8:16:00 PM More reviews by starbuck65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

THERE'S NOTHING BETTER! SO AFFORDABLE! ABOUT $2.00 EVERY TIME I HIGHLIGHT!
I'm a natural level 7 ash blonde. I've used Kaleidocolors Blue for years in and out of the salon. Using a cap method, the gal who did my hair would use a 30 volume, process under heat for 10 minutes. No yellow and no need for a toner. When she moved to a new salon...and years later when caps really aren't used...she started foiling using 20 Volume. Even after 15 minutes my hair didn't turn out the color that I liked. When you use a cap for a whole head of highlights, the Kaleidocolors is put on at once. Foiling, which can take some time, you'd have areas processing faster than others which is why she only used 20 Volume. Although I'd prefer foiling, I really wasn't happy with the 20V and not happy about the $108.00 for highlights on short hair. Since I do have short hair, it's not really a problem pulling it through a cap and I do heavy highlights so it's not noticable like the old days when you'd get stripes.
I went to Sally Beauty Supply and picked up the Pure White in 30 Volume, a load of caps, and the Blue powder. It looks SOOOOO MUCH better even though I had to pull it through a cap, I prefer foiling but can't do my own and don't know how much it would process since I'm doing all over highlights if it took me an hour to foil. Kaleidocolors does require heat, I do have a dryer in my packout but for now I just put a plastic cap on and used a good old-fashioned blowdryer, 7 minutes and PERFECT! I haven't use any other tonal powder besides the blue.
Highly recommend to anyone doing highlights at home. The drugstore lightening kits are horrible on my hair, they trash it, leave it yellowy-orange. This does not, no red, no yellow, no orange, no damage. Price-wise...so affordable. It costs just under $2.00 to do my own. Love it!
Just a few notes...I did read a review on Sally's site stating it burned their scalp. This is an OFF THE SCALP bleach, it's not meant to be used in place of cream bleach, it's meant to be used for any off the scalp method. It does require heat, I've never used it without heat so not sure how it would process without it or if it turns out as well without heat. Use heat! I recommend just covering your head with a plastic cap and using a hairdryer if that's all you have. So worth it!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2012 7:36:00 PM More reviews by thatgirlnic

I love this stuff...use the neutral on my brown hair and highlights come out caramel...use 20v developer...can't beat the price, can't afford to go to the salon all the time to highlight my hair, so I use this and get the same results!!! Will always buy this...saves me lot's of $$$$$!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2011 4:14:00 PM More reviews by siouxie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like this stuff alot but beware it is very dusty. I use the blue w/ a 30 volume developer. Paint on my hair balayage style. Left on around 15 minutes. I suggest in the beginning try 10 minutes developing time. My hair even though dark blonde & gray is highly resistant to lifting, so I really should go more like a half hour. Anyway, resulting color is very nice and not at all brassy. The icing on the cake it is costs me like $2.00! For years I used box color (and I need two), and it was such a hassle. Highlighting is so much easier w/o all that needless packaging.

Check out balayage technique - see link below. It's very clear how it's done, but to really do it right someone else has to do it for you.