Clairol Kaleidocolors Tonal Powder Lightener

3.6

on 4/7/2015 8:39:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I'm not sure if this is a terrible product or is just me.
i bleached my hair with 30 developer and left it for 35 mins... my hair turned out terrible, because I'm a brunette, i was expecting brassiness when bleaching, but this thing just turned out weird orange looking with gold tones... not "normal" orange or yellow brassiness but a very weird looking tone... i think if youre planning to bleach your brunette hair is way better to go for a normal blue bleach

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I have used this many times and love it. It works well on my hair and my sisters. Use a 30 to 40 Developer depending on which of us is using it. Usually have to bleach it twice. But it has brought black hair down to an almost platinum.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This product was an absolute nightmare!! When purchasing this at Sally's Beauty supply I was very excited to try it. I have brown hair. Not to light and not too dark. After I had been taking care my hair for awhile trying to get it long and healthy again. I decided I had to have pastel. In doing this I did realize that this was going to damage my hair and I would have to bleach more than once to get it light enough. I asked my mother to help me with it. She went to beauty school and knows a few things about bleaching. So, I ran out after being told this product was great by a friend and that is didn't smell like other bleaches and worked very well. When bringing it home with the recommended developer on the package, my mother and I sat down and read the instructions over a couple times just to make sure that we were going to do this right. We mixed it with the directed amounts and still it seemed very watery and was really difficult to apply to the hair. (We used a creme developer), We applied the product and waited, I put my hair under a heat dryer and waited about 30 minutes before checking on it and as it was getting hotter the product was running down my face and I was having to have a towel over my eyes to keep from bleach getting into them. After checking on it on the 30 minute mark it had done practically nothing for my hair but make my roots a dark orange color. So we wait another 15 and my head was starting to blister up from the bleach and so I washed it out and my hair looked like an ombre gone wrong. My rooted were orange and the rest of my hair was hardly lighter at all. I will going back to Sally's to buy a new bleach to try to fix the mess that Kaleidocolors has caused

on 1/21/2014 2:30:00 AM

This product dried out my hair after following the directions and leaving it on for only 10 minutes turned my hair orange/yellowish besides that it is very unhealthy for you to even get this product on your skin. It turned my hands an almost burned white color on my skin and fingers. After reading the MSDS provided on Proctor & Gambles website - this product is certainly hazardous to your hair, scalp and health. Do not breathe in the powder vapors at all.
It will cause you to have gastrointestinal problems as it did to me. I had to drink a full glass of milk to help my stomach - made me sick to my stomach and not to mention the burning sensation it caused my scalp. NOT TO MENTION a lot of hair loss about 50 strands came out of my hair.
I do not recommend this product or will not ever use it again...
I am looking to an alternative to all the bad and unsafe chemicals that are used in all hair color products. Should anyone know of more healthy and natural products please share it with the rest of us..

on 9/11/2013 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I bought the violet one and the blue one.
My natural hair color is light-medium brown.

I first did a test strand and the purple one gave me a very ashy result, which I did not like.
Then I tested the blue one and it was slightly better, no ashiness at least.

So, I thought since I really needed to do all of my roots, I would just use the blue one, and now that my roots are done..I can def. see the results better.

I found both of these to look very fake! the color was similar to that of a highlighter, very tin foil like..it def. does not look natural..which I was surprised because this is supposed to have a toner in it....
Also, if you happen to get some on your already blonde hair it will turn blue/or purple..
which is not ok,...since you're supposed to kind of blend the color in..:/

Also, this bleach dried the hell out of my hair, like nothing I'v used before..I'v used the Wella bleach, Ion bleach..nothing has dried out my hair like this one, I was surprised because it claims to have aloe vera and all this stuff in it...nope! dried my hair out completely.

AND! this stuff takes a very long time to process which doesn't help with the damage..
Usually I leave my bleach on for 40 mins and it's done!
This bleach I left it on for an hour! and it was still not done processing...the front of my hair was still dark yellow/slight orange-y color...I thought wth! I am not leaving this on my hair for over an hour that's not good for your hair.

...overall, I found this product to be very disappointing, def. not what it claims to be..but then claims are only for marketing purposes..

I found this bleach to be very damaging/very drying.
Color did not turn out the way I was expecting. very fake looking.
Processing time takes waay too long, nobody should leave bleach on their hair for over an hour!
Damaging, damaging, damaging product.

Will not repurchase, would not recommend...unless maybe you're someone who only wants to life 2-3 shades..:/

on 4/5/2013 10:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This bleach isn't terrible but it doesn't lift as well as it should, If you are just looking to go maybe 2 shades lighter then it is okay, however that wasn't what I needed when I went from a medium/dark brown color to blonde and I even used 30 volume developer. I recommend using Quick Blue bleach with 30 volume developer because that bleach lifts much better.
QUICK TIP:
Want to save your hair from damage while bleaching it? Saturate your hair in organic virgin coconut oil and let it sit in your hair 1 hour then color/bleach/tone your hair with the oil on it. Damage will be greatly minimized and the chemicals will actually lift or deposit better depending on what the product is for.

on 2/9/2013 8:42:00 PM

I have used this many times and I love it. I use a 30 volume peroxide with it. A 20 volume will not pull the color out that the reviewer below wanted. So that is very misleading review about this bleach. This is excellent and when used properly I rarely need a toner unless I want to use one depending on the blonde colour I'm going for.

I use the Orange package on my hair now since it's a medium to light blonde with ultra blonde highlights. Almost white with no brassy-ness. I have yet to have uneven color removal with this formula. This is the one clairol hair product that I just adore! I have another pack calling my name ;). I think anyone who works with bleach knows the risk it can have on one's hair. I find this to be one of the more gentle bleaches for me which is why I really like it as well.

If you do your hair yourself or want it highlighted this is a great product. Highly recommended!

on 2/9/2013 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this in violet and use with 20vol developer (1scoop : 1small bowl cream devlp), let sit for 30min. This bleach is very gentle... or maybe I'm using it too gently! It takes me a few times of bleaching before it actually gets my hair significantly lighter-- and it took like 8 to get the blue dye out of my bangs. Make sure to SATURATE your hair, and if you're going for blonde use a purple shampoo b/c this doesn't do a great job toning.

on 2/4/2013 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I just used this today on my hair and I am very impressed. My goal was to do some caramel highlights to bring some light to my face as my hair is dark brown. I bought a packet of the tonal powder in neutral and used a 20 developer from Clairol. I followed the directions and processed it for ten minutes, but felt I could leave it on for an additional ten minutes. The highlights came out great! My hair didn't feel fried or stiff and there was no brassiness which I was apprehensive about. I couldn't believe that I only paid less than eight dollars for both the developer and tonal powder. Overall, I would buy this again and experiment more with time.

on 10/23/2012 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I have been fiddling with my natural hair color for 10 years, and this is my favorite product for any sort of lightening. I have natural level 2 hair, and this (with a 40 vol. developer) brings me to caramel in 10 minutes, blonde in 20 without applying heat. It smells really good and doesn't cause more damage than any other product I've tried. Great for highlights or all-over color. VERY economical in the 8oz. tub. The Blue is the best to use for those of us with reddish tones in our hair. Violet doesn't lift or tone satisfactorily for me. Kaleidocolors has a lifetime customer!

Popular Hair Color Products