January 27, 2015 | 1662 users online

Bronzers - Chanel - Soleil Tan de Chanel - Bronzing Makeup Base

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2015 10:42:00 PM More reviews by rbkh

This review is based primarily on the ingredients versus the finish/cosmetic use. I wanted to love this but I'm not thrilled with the ingredient listing. The finish is beautiful, but it's made of potentially harmful ingredients-first ingredient-meaning largest component - is cyclopentasiloxane, which is often used as a CHEAP alternative to vegetable glycerin. It also includes (but to a lesser extent) BHT; both are known to be disruptive to endocrine systems, wildlife/eco systems, and also possible cancer-causing agents. I'm actually pretty okay with a lot of not-so-natural stuff (to a point) and- to be fair- you see these ingredients often in cosmetics (there is worse out there), but I try to avoid BHT altogether and I want to see compounds like cyclopentasiloxanes later in the ingredient list, if at all. Yes it's beautiful...but the ingredients just don't read "luxury" to me, especially at its $48 price.

I hope Chanel reformulates this soon; the ingredients are cheap and lack the skin loving ingredients I expect from a high-end company.

I give it three stars for the product amount, packaging, and wear/finish (regardless of ingredients).

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2014 5:06:00 AM More reviews by OLC8

I wanted to and still want to love this but I just don't! I can't seem to get it to look good on me. Have seen it used on you tubers and they all obsess over it. I will keep trying. The colour doesn't seem to show up great on my medium to tan skin tone and can look patchy. Other than that, it looks and smells great! I'll keep trying but I'm losing hope! Definitely wouldn't repurchase

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2014 8:29:00 PM More reviews by Flassie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

This product probably does not need another rave review, but whatever I'm writing one anyway! Initially I was confused by this and I felt that it 1.) rubbed off my makeup and 2.) did nothing. I used it again a couple months later and I am now obsessed. The reason why I did not like it before (I think) was that my skin was quite bad-- lots of acne and scarring especially around my cheeks where I would apply this product. So when I used it I could not help but buff away my carefully placed concealer or apply so little that you could not tell I was wearing it.

But now that my skin is nice and clear I have really fallen in love. I wear this everyday, in every season-- despite how much or how little makeup I plan on wearing. It provides the most amazing natural bronze glow when I am wearing little to no other makeup. But at the same time it can be built up to a more extreme contour if you want. It is pretty sheer, which is great for a cream bronzer because it makes it easy to work with and easy to build up.

If you are struggling with skin problems especially on your cheeks I would not recommend this product. In order to get a good color payoff you have to buff it around and it will inevitably move around any concealers and foundations. However I do not think that this is unique to the product-- it is just the nature of cream products in my personal experience.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2014 9:14:00 PM More reviews by dinosaurseatghosts

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I just got this, my first chanel product ever :) I like it so far, it's quite orangey but it blends really nicely on the skin and doesn't feel heavy. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to apply it, so far I've been using a RT buffing brush or expert face brush and then layering MAC Harmony over it. The smell kind of gives me a headache though, it's like a peachy perfume. Overall, I like this but it's crazy expensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2014 10:14:00 AM More reviews by em55

This bronzer is amazing! It stays on all day, much stronger staying power than powdery bronzers due to it's creamy base. The colour gives a natural sun-kissed glow that suits all skin tones, definitely a must have - the best bronzer I've ever tried!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2014 7:00:00 PM More reviews by antolin1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was never a big bronzer fan until I discovered this product. Actually, rewind that: I wanted to bronze myself up but had never found a product that didn't make me look like a brown-orange glittery mess. I wanted subtle yet effective, and that is what Soleil Tan De Chanel gives you.

I use this when I am going for a dewy effect and skipping the powder products, which is pretty much my 5 days a week routine. I love using this under both my Clinique CC cream and liquid foundations for a full bronzing effect, although I usually use this product just for contouring. When contouring with this product it never looks overdone and has a slight sheen on its own so I always skip highlighting when using this (I think the 2 would be too much in all honesty). It glides on the skin, is silky smooth, and goes from a gel/mouse-ish/cream to a slightly dry finish once applied. This is the perfect alternative bronzer or contour for dry skin types - I never have build up or patchiness at all. I like to apply this by buffing if under makeup, or using either my MAC 108 or a small stippling brush if contouring.

I am really in love with this amazing multi-tasker. While pricey at $48.00 for 1 oz, I think it's definitely worth the cost.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2014 9:26:00 AM More reviews by xcandisx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this is a MUST HAVE for me!! i Love it so much! a gorg bronze for ur face makes u look tanned & glowing with no sparkle or glitter! it used to be £29 but has recently gone up in price to £32 which is quite expensive i think but worth every penny as it lasts ages! u can also use all over the body if u need to touch up self tan or have a white bit! i use it with a short haired kabuki brush & just love it hope this review helps x

rated 1 of 5 on 8/16/2014 2:13:00 PM More reviews by beachblond

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

My skin broke out everywhere I put this. As soon as I stopped using it, my skin cleared up perfectly. Very disappointing since it does give a nice colour. I also didn't like that my skin felt "tacky" to the touch after I applied it, and it never really soaked in. Returned.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by Meriange

Love the bronzing effect that it gives. It is very subtle and the tone is okey for my skin. Probably i would change the packaging, i consider it too heavy and big.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2014 10:26:00 AM More reviews by countrybearjamboree

This was a product that was on my shopping list as pending for so long. I was never on the fence so much with a product than I was with this bronzer. I finally bought it and I'm very happy with it. I am extremely picky when it comes with bronzer. So many qualites I look for in a bronzer: 1. Tone 2. Color Depth 3. Finish 4. Ingredients 5. Staying Power & 6. Formulation. I haven't truly found a bronzer that scored a perfect 10 in all six categories. I've tried ALL of the popular bronzers such as Too Faced Chocolate Soleil, NARS Laguna, Benefit Hoola, most of Physicans Formula, MUFE, MAC, Estee Lauder, Bobbi Brown and most drugstore bronzers. The two main reasons why I was so on the fence with this particular bronzer was 1. Cream based and 2. Palomino's review. I have very oily skin so I would be insane to buy a cream based bronzer. Also, nothing worse than an orange toned bronzer >_< THE WORST! After reading Palomino's review, I pretty much made up my mind. But, Palomino and I are completely different skin tones so I checked out You Tube reviews on this bronzer by people with darker skin tones and came across YAZMakeUpArtist. YAZ sold me on it! For people with deeper medium skin tones to dark skin, this bronzer is SUBTLE and you need to build it. But, it builds up very naturally and I didn't find it orange at all on my NC40 Olive skin. All pros with this bronzer and for being such an outstanding quality bronzer, it is worth the fifty bucks.
PACKAGING: 1oz Large flat round container that is clear and a black screw top cap with the gold Chanel logo on top.
PROS: 1. Even though this is a cream based bronzer, it did not fade, crease or melt off my very oily skin. It didn't appear greasy on the skin either. It just looked natural. 2. It will last for hours without fading away. I did set this with a setting powder though. 3. It has a matte finish! YES, truly matte no shimmers! 4. Natural tone for darker skin tones. Doesn't appear orange. 5. Doesn't clog pores or cause berakouts. 6. Builds up for desired pigmentation without looking cakey or obvious.
CONS: None
TIP: I use the ELF Small Stippling brush with this bronzer for contouring.