August 1, 2014 | 1716 users online

Hair Color - John Frieda - Precision Foam Color

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2014 8:54:00 AM More reviews by Buckeye2010

I am visually impaired, and have never been able to color my own hair. My mom used to do it for me, but she is nearing 60, and can no longer do it.

So I decided to try a color foam. I am pleased to say that it was easy, and I was able to do most of it with my glasses on. That was very important because without my glasses I am legally blind in my good eye.

When I washed it off, it left my hair like straw, but after applying a hair oil, my hair felt silky. When my hair dried, however I was in for a shock. My hair which was a dark brown was a little darker than it's natural color. This was SUPPOSED to be a medium chocolate brown! Yeah, medium chocolate brown my butt! Also the price was a bit steep.

The only reason I am rating it a four is because of the price and the shade. Other than that, this is an awesome haircolor, and if you are visually impaired and afraid of dying your hair, this foam color is the way to go. Just make sure to go for a lighter shade than normal.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2014 4:42:00 PM More reviews by pissedperson

HORRIBLE JUNK! I have (HAD) thin but otherwise very healthy hair. I used this product according to the instructions and after rinsing , my hair felt HORRIBLE, DRY BRITTLE and terribly tangled. I used the CHEAP conditioner that came with the color and NOTHING ... I still could NOT get a comb thru the dried out horribly tangled MESS it made out of my hair. I tried 2 other expensive conditioners , TWO hours later after sitting with the products on my head, finally had to send my husband to the salon to buy an expensive spray on detangler to get the snarls out CLUMPS of my hair came out and boke off. I am furious., I would never use this again or even recomend to my worse enemy. I HAD to select a rating for this product but wouldn'teven give it ONE star for ANY of them

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2014 10:15:00 PM More reviews by Crly2007

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wanted to write a review for John Frieda Precision Foam Color in 5N Medium Natural Brown. First off I have medium brown hair with red highlights naturally. I decided since it was Summer I would add some hi lights in my hair. I got some stuff from Sally's and was not happy with my results!!!. Ended up with that dreadful orange tinted hair! That was a couple weeks ago. Since then I have been researching online and decided to try this. I purchased this at Target for 11.92. I am very pleased with the outcome. Loved the kit. The gloves are wonderful! It was my first time ever using this brand or a foam even. It covered great and turned a nice medium brown. I am glad I chose this shade and not a darker one. I would not want it any darker. I would recommend it and will use again.. Hope this helps others decide to try it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2014 2:03:00 PM More reviews by lcheramie1212

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

To start with, my hair was my natural medium/dark brown at the top and blonde "Ombre" at the bottom. I had the blonde done professionally about two months ago, and I did like it, but I'm over it now and ready to be dark again. I was worried about using a box color because of the bleach that was used to lighten my hair for the blonde, but this turned out beautifully. I used the shade 4PBN (Dark Cool Espresso Brown) and it is truly a gorgeous dark brown color. I kind of expected to at least see some shade variation where the blonde had been, but this covered it completely. This was my first experience with a foam product and it was definitely less messy, but I was slightly concerned while I was using it because my hair did not become "frothy" as the directions and the illustration said it should, but the color came out perfect none the less. Overall, this product exceeded my expectations and I would definitely recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2014 10:09:00 PM More reviews by emem2212

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the first foam hair dye I've used and it's soooo good. I have short hair now but even when I had my hair almost touching my waist, there was enough dye in the bottle to cover it all. I have dark hair and I use 3VR and it lasts a really long time. And that conditioner they give you really makes it more vibrant every time you use it.

It's more expensive (almost double all the other ones) but it's definitely worth it. I've bought it maybe 5 or 6 times, and will continue to keep buying it :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2014 10:29:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

I'm honestly really surprised that so many people like this hair dye. I've been dying my hair at home for about 20 years, and this dye was one of the worst I've ever used. I do not have hard hair to dye, it is fine and shoulder length and I've been dying it blonde for so long that it takes blonde color variations very well, and pretty much any blonde hair dye from the drugstore will turn out looking at least OK. But not this one. Personally, I don't like the foam, it was very hard for me to tell if I had applied enough to my roots. And apparently I had not applied enough since it came out splotchy. What's worse is that within 2 weeks of using it all of the color was gone from my roots, like I had never dyed it at all, this has never in my life happened to me before. I was honestly shocked, I've used John Frieda hair products for years and expected it to at least work as well as a $7 bottle of clairol or l'oreal. I honestly have no desire to ever try this again, regardless of any reformulations.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2014 9:19:00 PM More reviews by rainbowrivulets

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

TL;DR 3VR is nice over black hair for a red tint, 5N might not cover blonde hair without leaving a tinge of yellow. I don't know how it fares for grays.

My natural hair colour is black but I have had purple hair for the past year (with hair bleached over and over as a base...) which turned to a mixture of pastelle purple, medium purple and ash blonde, with 5-6 inches of roots and I used 5N and 3VR (in that order).

So the first time around, I didn't listen to the instructions and went ahead and used it with too much build up in my hair and the foam didn't stay at all (just kind of flattened and liquified) and I was panicking because I didn't know if I would have enough for all my hair. The second time around, when I did it properly, I had plenty and it foamed up nicely. No dripping. No shaking and forgetting to put your finger over the hole you prematurely made and making a streak of black across your wall.... oh! and I think it wiped off of skin real easy too. Somehow cream dyes felt harder to wipe off. Didn't even need to break out the rubbing alcohol! Foam packaging+gloves are an A+, and the whole thing rinses out faster than cream colour.

Colour:
5N was a nice colour but it felt too red for me, and it actually shows yellow when I take a picture with flash, so I guess it didn't cover my bleached hair. GRANTED they don't suggest dyeing a shades any more than 3 shades apart and I knew it would probably be wonky. (that's why I had two colours)
I really like 3VR. Even over my black hair, it tinted it red-brown. Very pretty in sunlight. Over 5N, it's an even more beautiful dark chocolate with lots of red. It matched the swatch somewhat. I think it's more purple in the swatch.

I know red hair is hard to preserve... So I'll update on fading when some time has passed.

Overall though, would dye again. I might get 5VR for the ombre bits I did, but for now my hair is resting.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2014 11:21:00 PM More reviews by qwerty12315

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This dye simply does not cover greys. It's a shame because the colour I used, Light Ash Brown, is gorgeous.

I'm about 10% grey and the dye lightly stained the grey hairs but within a week they were whiter than they have ever been.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2014 3:18:00 PM More reviews by CaseyAlves

This is my first review but I felt this product definitely deserved it.
I have dyed my hair all the colours under the sun, don't complain that I'm 15 I'm experimenting ahaha; mainly I dip-dye (I love dip-dying multi-coloured in the summer) but occasionally I like to update my roots and dye them brown. At this current moment, I am a brunette with blonde dip-dye. In January, I bleached my hair all over (mistake) and I hated it. I dyed it back to brown the next day. Since January I have dyed my hair multiple times in different shades of brown, all of which have come out with a red tint, which I hated. I just couldn't lift the colour. Worse, parts were going blonde with an orange hint and eventually, no dyes made any difference! Today I went to my hairdressers and had the split ends cut and I loved the new style; and after seeing my roots and the red, I had had enough. I went to boots and saw that John Frieda were on sale. Looking through the colours, I picked 'Light Ash Brown' since the ash would counteract the red (the ash is green, opposite on the colour wheel) and I hoped that it would work.
I blow-dried the results 5 minutes ago and I am astounded. The red tint is nearly completely gone, and what is left I am actually happy with as it adds a bit of dimension to the brown. It gave a lovely even colour; and guess what? I only applied it to my roots and a bit further down to keep my dip dye, and it looks lovely, its exactly what I wanted. I would fully recommend, especially if you're having the trouble I did! Thanks John Frieda!
(an yes, if the bottom of your hair is blonde, all you have to do to keep the dip dye is apply to the roots and about 3 inches down, then put the dye in your hand and drag your fingers downwards a little to make the colours blend, simple).

rated 1 of 5 on 3/29/2014 4:49:00 PM More reviews by myaminou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

My hair color is medium brown (level 4) and I have lot of gray hair. I usually have my hair dyed professionally but I needed to save money. I used medium brown neutral. The color looked good and shiny the first day only. After a couple of shampoos, the gray started to show. Now (two weeks later) the color is dull and my hair are very dry (and I alway use professional shampoo and Morrocano oil). I have an extensive experience with hair color and I must say that I am not very happy with this one. I will not use it again.