John Frieda Precision Foam Color

3.3

on 3/17/2015 2:05:00 PM

Hi Ladies...Well I color my hair at home and have tried probably a zillion products. This one I will say is a bit different. And in a good way! The foam was so easy to apply. I will admit it seemed a little "dry" at first with the foam just dissolving, but as the application went along I was impressed. It had no strong smell, and when it came to the rinse it was not that bad. Lets be honesty there is no home hair dye that gets to run crystal clear right away. But this one did seem a little faster on getting off the hair. I would highly recommend this for home use. It never made a mess and was so very easy to control during the application As for the shine it is there. Granted I color my hair jet black, so I got the darkness I wanted. I will now find out in the next week how it holds on to the greys. I will keep you posted.

on 3/12/2015 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Normally I get my hair coloured in a salon but recently I got my hair dyed a red / brown colour but my roots were starting to peek through after a month. Not having time to go to the salon and spend 3 hours never mind lots of money, I picked up this home dye kit. The dye was easy to mix and the foam texture meant it didn't drip everywhere. My hair felt instantly nourished and in better condition than before I coloured it. I chose the colour 6N, which was a light brown and the neutral has neutralized the red tones in my hair, however if you are looking for more of a difference you might want to go for an ash shade. I would also recommend going a shade lighter as brown hair dyes often turn out very dark, at least on me! The only downside for me was the price, at 9.99 it is more expensive than most home hair dyes and the conditioner than came with it didn't seem any more moisturizing than a regular conditioner so I used a nourishing hair mask instead. A good product but I'll probably still get my hair coloured professionally as I enjoy the experience.

So far, this is my favorite drugstore hair color. The application is easy and not as messy as liquid or gel color. The gloves are quite good quality. Covers grey, nice shiny color. The only downside is the conditioner. It's nourishing and all, but I don't think it adds any color protection and it gave me some bacne and hairline pimples (along the nape of the neck). Not cute. Find another conditioner.

on 12/14/2014 11:38:00 PM

I've been dying my hair since I was a freshman in highschool. It was almost always in a salon and have been every natural color there is. I used 5G medium golden brown and I LOVE THIS PRODUCT! No patchy spots, no tangles, and no hair loss. The color payoff was true to the swatch and application was a breeze! For the women complaining about the color turnout using the blonde shades, everyone needs to remember that when attempting to go lighter, you'll more than likely need bleach not hair color. Also, if you have even a slight red tone to your hair, peroxide WILL pull this to the surface, so use a toner! Regardless of the shade, hair color *deposites* color, bleach lifts and lightens. So it isn't that this product is bad, its just that these women are using the wrong product for what they are trying to accomplish. I will be repurchasing this again. I gave it 4 lippies because there isn't a dark golden brown (what I really wanted) available.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a review of 5N, Medium Natural Brown. I've used this product twice now and I am a fan. As someone who's colored my hair since around age 13 and used every product known to womankind (as well as many years of salon coloring), I consider this a solid product in terms of the quality of the color it gives, ease of use, how gentle it is on hair, and how long the color lasts.

I should note that I was intrigued by the foam color products that started coming out earlier this year (or that was the first I heard of them) and first tried the Preference foam which I *hated*. It left my hair dry and damaged, I didn't like the color and I generally was left feeling it was no improvement over traditional color product.

My hair is naturally a medium-dark brunette. While I have in the past colored it every other color imaginable, I now use color primarily to add dimensionality and richness to my natural shade (which is a bit mousy/flat) and to cover grays (I probably am about 2% gray at this point but getting to be more and more).

I purchased the Frieda foam with middling expectations. However, the first time I used it I was pretty pleased right away. Unlike others who seem to find it extra-messy and extra-runny, I have not found that. To me, it is about as messy as traditional hair color products. It is fairly easy to apply and evenly cover your hair with the foam. I have extremely curly, thick hair that is past my shoulders and have not needed to use more than one box of color. It's also unusually easy to rinse the color out in the shower when time is up. (I leave it in for 20 minutes after finishing application, per instructions for especially thick/coarse hair with some grays.)

As far as the included conditioner, it is OK but nothing special. But, having especially thick, tangly and dry hair, I have specific conditioner needs and I don't typically expect out-of-the-box conditioners to suffice. Nonetheless, when I am done with the Frieda foam product including the conditioner, my hair is in pretty good shape -- not overly dry or damaged.

The thing I like the most about this color is that it gives real depth, dimensionality and shine to my hair. The color is extremely natural-looking as well. My HG color today is a rich, chocolate brunette and this gets me very close. It is sort of a "my hair but better" effect. And for me, it successfully covers grays. The color fades very gradually, and after my first use of this product, it took several months before I started noticing that I should probably color again. It also did NOT go brassy on me, which is something almost every dark brown eventually does, and which I hate!

The one thing I find odd about this product is how the instructions tell you that your head should be covered with foam following application. They show pictures of a model covered with a thick white head of foam and specifically say that your hair should look as foamy as the picture. This not only doesn't happen in my experience, but I don't even see how it would be possible, since the foam dissipates once you work it into your hair. You can coat your hair with an immense amount of product, but it just looks wet and covered with color -- not foamy. This has not stopped me from getting great results, so especially the second time, I just didn't worry about it. But it's weird how specific they are about this in the directions.

Overall, I give this product an A, both because I genuinely like the results and because it saves me the time and $$$ of a salon visit. Definitely recommend.

on 11/16/2014 12:21:00 AM

The first time I dyed my hair was over the summer, and I went to a salon for it because I did not trust myself with it. I got highlights, and it ended up not how I wanted; it wasn't too bad, but after a few months I was tired of the light brown highlights in my dark brown hair, so I decided to take a chance and dye my hair at home. I chose this foam color because I thought it would be easiest for me to use. I got the color Dark Red Brown. I bought two boxes because my hair is pretty long, almost mid back. Following the instructions, I fairly easily dyed my hair, although I did make a mess and was worries the whole time my hair would come out splotchy and dull. However, when my hair dried after washing the dye out, it turned out a beautifully rich dark brown color with a nice red tint. It also left my hair very soft and shiny, nicer than it had been in months. The color is extremely even and I had no trouble with undyed spots or patches. I dyed my hair mid November and it is now mid December, and the color has held nicely. The where I had highlights before are now more of a light reddish brown color, but it looks nice. I'd figure I should redye my hair in early January, but I could easily wait until February if I wanted to. Overall I would definitely recommend this product to anyone, but especially beginners.

on 11/6/2014 8:34:00 PM

Okay so I will start off by saying I have went to salons and literally spent 500 dollars on coloring my hair. Granted I am from NYC and its expensive, nonetheless I care about hair color is my point. John Frieda Precision Foam in "Dark Cool Espresso Brown" a salon blends color, not sure of the number i think it may be 4PGN - its literally the most amazing hair color I have ever used. I will post a picture on here to show- my hair is INCREDIBLY shiny. I get compliments all the time people ask me if it is my natural hair color. It lasts for about 3 and a half months with no fading at all until the 4th month, which is great because I wash my hair everyday, sometimes even twice a day. 1 bottle does my entire head and my hair is very thick and down to my lower back (I'm middle eastern) so it only costs 12 dollars to do my entire head. Out of all the hair care and make up or beauty products I use...including top brands like lancome and chanel- I truly feel like this is the best beauty product I have ever used ever. U wouldnt believe my hair was box hair dyed if u saw it. Also- to those saying that their hair comes out dull- mine probably would too if i didnt take care of it so well. U have to use moroccan oil, and deep conditioning masks. Also..the whole "not washing ur hair alot" or only washing it once a week is a myth. That dries out ur hair believe it or not. If u think about it logically..shampoos and conditioners add vitamins and moisture to our hair...when u only wash it once a week, ur depriving ur hair of all those added moistures. Also...the "natural oils" (ew) that are derived from ur scalp only effect the hair on ur scalp. Not ur ends or shaft of ur hair. So pretty much only the top of ur head has soft hair. ALSO* back in the day when cavemen didnt have shampoo and conditioner their hair was disgusting and dry. Now, modern society has products that help to aid in protecting our locks and keeping them healthy. I have never ever ever met someone who washes their hair once a week that has nice beautiful long silky hair. never not once. on the contrary, I wash my hair daily and my hair is gorgeous. will post pic to prove point. Buy the foam! *The picture I posted is underneath the picture of the product at the top of the webpage. I am dressed for halloween as a sailor. Picture is kinda blurry but u can still see how shiny my hair is from this product! And that picture was taken at night!

on 10/28/2014 8:24:00 PM

I purchased John Frieda Precision Foam Colour in shade 4PBN - Espresso Brown.

I am 37 and have about 50% gray hair, as premature graying runs in my family. I have been getting my hair professionally colored since the age of 15, but started dying it myself at home for about 12 years now.

To cover my grays and get the color I liked, I used to use Natural Instincts #35, color Ebony Mocha. I used this color for over a year and would get lots of compliments. Suddenly it seemed after a year of using it, the color would fade and turn this horrible brassy orange near my roots. I figure that my percentage of grays was increasing and a semi-permanent color offered by Natural Instincts was no longer able to work. I was disappointed and figured it was time I had to go with permanent color.

I went to Sally's and used their Wella hair color for about a year. Seemed to have the same problem - color turning brassy, blond even about two to three inches from my scalp! Wella faded horribly. I changed to Zotos Age Beautiful - even worse! Everytime I shampooed, I was horrified to see the color going down the drain. This continued for 1 1/2 weeks, until the color was gone and all I was left with was this brassy, orange, with blond-streaked color. Age Beautiful did not work at all for my hair. I have naturally dark brown hair [with gray], and I was buying neutral colors [not warm] so I didn't know where all this brassy/orange color was coming from. Despite buying neutral browns levels of 3 or 4, after about a week and a half, my hair would turn multi-colored - from brownish ends, with blond sides of hair, and orange/brassiness everywhere else. And, I have always used premium color protection type of shampoos, follow all the rules about not washing hair for at least 24 hours after coloring, etc.

Desperate and tired of Sally's, I decided to try John Frieda because I think I have tried all other boxed brands sold in the stores. I bought two boxes of John Frieda foam color - #4PBN. I have thick, long hair that is about half-way down my back. I was hopeful there was something out there to cover this mess or reddish/orange, blonde, and brassiness. I am naturally a level 3, but current color thanks to Zotos age beautiful fading, was probably a level 5 weird red/orange color.

RESULTS: It has been a week and a half since using John Frieda. I am so pleasantly surprised. The color was a bit darker than I was expecting and is darker than pictured on the box. However, it completely took away the brassy tones - the color is VERY even. Not multi-colored, how the Zotos brand left me. I used the entire two bottles. Even though my hair looked saturated, I used even more foam to make sure that I covered all of that ugly brassiness that I had. After a week and a half, my color has not faded to that horrible orange/brassy color. My hair feels exceptionally healthy and is very shiny. [Not like with Wella and Age Beautiful]. I feel like I have my dark brown hair back. It did a great job covering the grays.

I am writing this to help all the other ladies out that are in my shoes... dark hair trying to fight the grays and the brassiness. I think it is so hard going gray when you have dark hair. I kind of envy the blonde ladies, as you can just get a box of blonde color and be okay. The grays show through so much more with dark hair! But with my skin tone, blonde hair would totally wash me out.. I wouldn't look good as a blonde. It's funny...when I was younger I always wanted to be blonde. Now that I'm a little older and can appreciate how I look with my dark hair, the grays are starting to steal it away! I guess that's how it goes! Good luck. I hope that this helps or that others have good experience with this product like I did.

I still do miss my experience with Natural Instincts - best healthiest color [because it is semi-permanent and ammonia-free], but second best is going to be John Frieda. If my hair wasn't getting so gray, I would still be using it. Unfortunately, I have to move on to permanent color at this point in time.

Angela

on 9/21/2014 2:32:00 PM

Overall i am not impressed with this product. I got the black shade to go over my medium brown hair and it came out patchy and dull not to metion washed ou completely in less than 2weeks. Only positives are that the foam was actually nice and less messy to apply that usual hair dyes and it comes with a lot of product. Sucks i wanted to like this ..

on 8/24/2014 5:39:00 PM

I used this for the first time today and I'm shocked at the bad reviews here. Must just be the old adage what works for some doesn't for others. I saw one review that said , "I'm going back to Colorsilk" and I thought, really??? I've used Colorsilk and it was awful! Talk about dry brittle hair!!! yuk!! This product however was fantastic! it remains to be seen how the color holds up, but the color (Medium natural brown) came out beautiful and my hair feels fantastic. I also have stubborn gray at my temples that never takes color well and this got it! I'm very pleased with the ease of application, no drippiness, no strong smell, easy rinse, and added body on my very fine just past chin length hair. If it holds up well over next month I will definitely use again! AND, my head is not itchy like it usually is after coloring! yay!

Top Rated John Frieda Products