John Frieda Precision Foam Color

3.3

on 8/16/2015 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

this is my favorite hair dye! i have very thick hair and have an awfully hard time covering it all when i dye my hair by myself and the foaminess of this makes it soooo easy. i've used this multiple times and it's very easy to apply. i find myself having to redye every month or two, which is pretty average considering i wash my hair every day. i don't get why this product is rated only a 3, this is my favorite hair dye ever and i've used so many brands!

After much research and all. Usual. This did lighten hair more the all before. Yes! - Happy but now maybe color over. Good for Springish/Summer! - Lighter hair maybe- cool- trendy - seasonal all. Wow! Plus, Graduation Season and all. Time to "prep" and try to look your best. Even if no input (mine) and high expections!- Whole process!- Love the packaging of this product. Bit messy and drippy. Takes a long time to apply and try to cover over and over. But when wash out- pretty much a breeze! Woo!-

on 5/25/2015 7:42:00 PM

I haven't had necessarily the BEST luck with hair dyes. So when this one didn't work for me I wasn't really all that upset. I bought the dark reddish brown shade for my dark brown hair because I wanted a reddish tint. Seemed simple enough, I didn't think it could backfire because I wasn't going fire truck red I just wanted a dark tint. Anyways, the process was fine... In the directions it shows a picture of a girl with foamed up hair and it says that your hair should look the same, but I couldn't get it that foamy no matter how much product I used or how much I massaged. My hair ended up being bright cherry red at the roots and black everywhere else. Oh well. I'm just gonna go to the salon once I get paid next week.

on 5/12/2015 4:52:00 PM

PROS:
Easy to mix the two components as they're both liquid, no toothpaste-type tube to squeeze out
Easy to apply, texture not too thick or thin
Applies to dry, not wet, hair
It doesn't fry hair
The gloves are good
Often half price at boots or superdrug
Doesn't permanently stain everything in your bathroom
CONS:
You won't get a very noticeable change of colour on dark hair
Grey coverage doesn't last as long as, say, nutrisse
You need to really massage it in to get enough colour to the "under" hair
Too expensive at full price
Overall - this has become my go-to colour as it's easy to mix and apply, so colouring my hair isn't as traumatic as it used to be.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I've used this twice. The first time, it was fine, and I liked the foam application method. I watched a video about how to gentle tilt the bottle five times to create the foam, and all about keeping that bottle upright. I used 3RV, which initially turned my (red-dyed over bleach blonde) hair jet black and then, after about a month, it started to fade to a sort of dusty rose. Not attractive at all. I decided maybe the color needed to build up and gave it a second chance, but the second time, despite the five careful tilts and video, I could not get it to foam. Nevertheless, I tried to dye it with the liquid, and the color did not even change. It was beyond bizarre. I paid $15 USD for this? I've been dying my hair for 25 years, generally every 2-3 weeks at that, and so, yeah, I wasn't impressed since other than dye that turns your hair green or whatever, I can't think of a weirder experience than dye that doesn't dye at all and also, that won't do what it's supposed to. Ridiculous. I unrecommend it. The color also faded badly and looked terrible. Oh, and it bled pink in the shower the first time. Almost forgot about that.

on 4/22/2015 7:06:00 AM

I hate it. I bought 6R (light reddish brown) and used it on my (short) dark blonde hair. The packaging was pretentious and smelled like cheap perfume, the foam was awkward and the results uneven and dull. I was expecting a gorgeous shade of auburn, i got a dull "old lady" reddish blah brown. I used it EXACTLY as directed and it "took" well in some places and not at all in others.....I don't understand what happened. I have been dying my hair for the past 15 years and i never had such a bad experience. I don't even know what's going to happen after a couple of washes but i'm scared. I think i will buy color oops and go back to Garnier or l'Oreal, at least i know what to expect. Very disappointed.

on 4/1/2015 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have deep dark brown hair that I highlighted purple two years ago. Of course it faded fast and left behind these awful blonde patches that I hate. After going to a salon and achieving a gorgeous all over color of a dark brown with super bright red undertones to cover the blonde parts I didn't have the money to upkeep it. I found this at my local walmart in dark red brown which sounded exactly like what I had at the salon. My younger sister was nice enough to color my hair for me & one bottle was enough foam to cover my really long almost butt length hair. The color payoff was not as red as I had anticipated but it did tint the blonde somewhat red while giving the rest of my hair a nice auburn sheen to it especially in sunlight. While I love the formula of this hair color I will probably buy this shade again and then a very bright red to mix into it that way I can still keep the brunette but just add a lot more red in it. The foam was less time consuming than the liquids I see my mother use on herself & my sister didn't have too hard of a time covering every strand.

on 3/17/2015 2:05:00 PM

Hi Ladies...Well I color my hair at home and have tried probably a zillion products. This one I will say is a bit different. And in a good way! The foam was so easy to apply. I will admit it seemed a little "dry" at first with the foam just dissolving, but as the application went along I was impressed. It had no strong smell, and when it came to the rinse it was not that bad. Lets be honesty there is no home hair dye that gets to run crystal clear right away. But this one did seem a little faster on getting off the hair. I would highly recommend this for home use. It never made a mess and was so very easy to control during the application As for the shine it is there. Granted I color my hair jet black, so I got the darkness I wanted. I will now find out in the next week how it holds on to the greys. I will keep you posted.

on 3/12/2015 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Normally I get my hair coloured in a salon but recently I got my hair dyed a red / brown colour but my roots were starting to peek through after a month. Not having time to go to the salon and spend 3 hours never mind lots of money, I picked up this home dye kit. The dye was easy to mix and the foam texture meant it didn't drip everywhere. My hair felt instantly nourished and in better condition than before I coloured it. I chose the colour 6N, which was a light brown and the neutral has neutralized the red tones in my hair, however if you are looking for more of a difference you might want to go for an ash shade. I would also recommend going a shade lighter as brown hair dyes often turn out very dark, at least on me! The only downside for me was the price, at 9.99 it is more expensive than most home hair dyes and the conditioner than came with it didn't seem any more moisturizing than a regular conditioner so I used a nourishing hair mask instead. A good product but I'll probably still get my hair coloured professionally as I enjoy the experience.

So far, this is my favorite drugstore hair color. The application is easy and not as messy as liquid or gel color. The gloves are quite good quality. Covers grey, nice shiny color. The only downside is the conditioner. It's nourishing and all, but I don't think it adds any color protection and it gave me some bacne and hairline pimples (along the nape of the neck). Not cute. Find another conditioner.