September 1, 2014 | 1883 users online

Hair Color - John Frieda - Precision Foam Color

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2014 5:39:00 PM More reviews by westiemom

I used this for the first time today and I'm shocked at the bad reviews here. Must just be the old adage what works for some doesn't for others. I saw one review that said , "I'm going back to Colorsilk" and I thought, really??? I've used Colorsilk and it was awful! Talk about dry brittle hair!!! yuk!! This product however was fantastic! it remains to be seen how the color holds up, but the color (Medium natural brown) came out beautiful and my hair feels fantastic. I also have stubborn gray at my temples that never takes color well and this got it! I'm very pleased with the ease of application, no drippiness, no strong smell, easy rinse, and added body on my very fine just past chin length hair. If it holds up well over next month I will definitely use again! AND, my head is not itchy like it usually is after coloring! yay!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2014 5:42:00 PM More reviews by LittleBear23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This review is for the color 6N, Light Natural Brown. I've used hundreds of boxes of hair color over the years so I already know not to pay any attention to the name or number of the color. It's never accurate. This product was no exception. It definitely was not "light brown". I chose the color based on the hair color swatch on the box which I would call medium golden brown, problably a 4.5G. I also know that every box of brown color ends up being darker than the swatch- sometimes 2-3 shades darker. i really did not want 2-3 shades darker but I decided to take a chance anyway. The color ended up being about one shade darker than the swatch on the box, about a 3.5G, still in the medium brown family and definitely an acceptable outcome since I know it will fade in a couple of weeks.

As promised the foaming color is much easier to use than the usual color application bottle and I have not one single missed spot. That part worked remarkably well. The issue was that using this type of applicator creates a HUGE mess- at least for me. Being hair color veteran I generally create very little mess when I color my hair, maybe a small drip on the floor and a smudge on one ear. I had this stuff all over me, on my face, neck, arms, boobs, back, ears, everywhere. I also had it all over the bathroom, floor, sink, counter, tub, everywhere. The good news is that it cleans up much easier than other colors. It came off my skin with just a damp washcloth and off the sink, floor and tub with just a quick spray of kitchen cleaner and a swipe of a sponge.

I have probably 4-5 gray hairs and this product covered them totally. My hair is not any drier than if I used any other box of hair color. The ends seem a little drier but no more than I would have expected, nothing terrible. I have noticed my hair getting tangled a lot easier since I colored it. Actually, it's getting tangled a WHOLE LOT easier. I used two boxes and that provided excellent coverage. My hair is thick, very straight and hits about 2" above my waist.

If I found myself in this same situation- unable to afford my hairdresser but really needing a color- I would definitely use this product again. My first choice is to have a hairdresser do my color but at least now I know of a product that I can use myself without leaving any missed spots.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2014 7:43:00 PM More reviews by missmopar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Flipping horrible! I just wrote them a nasty email because the Deep Cheery Brown I just used turned my hair completely BLACK. I had a beautiful medium brown color before with reddish lowlights all over. I just wanted to make everything more red. I didn't leave it on longer than the recommended 25 minutes. It had a nice cherry color the first 5 minutes it was in the bottle then it turned black. I didn't think anything of it because most dyes get darker in the bottle as you use them.

Now my already light skin looks grossly pale and I'm stuck with crappy hair color until it either fades or gets cut off. Since this is permanent color and I have bad luck, it probably won't fade. If I could give this negative stars, I would.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2014 8:54:00 AM More reviews by Buckeye2010

I am visually impaired, and have never been able to color my own hair. My mom used to do it for me, but she is nearing 60, and can no longer do it.

So I decided to try a color foam. I am pleased to say that it was easy, and I was able to do most of it with my glasses on. That was very important because without my glasses I am legally blind in my good eye.

When I washed it off, it left my hair like straw, but after applying a hair oil, my hair felt silky. When my hair dried, however I was in for a shock. My hair which was a dark brown was a little darker than it's natural color. This was SUPPOSED to be a medium chocolate brown! Yeah, medium chocolate brown my butt! Also the price was a bit steep.

The only reason I am rating it a four is because of the price and the shade. Other than that, this is an awesome haircolor, and if you are visually impaired and afraid of dying your hair, this foam color is the way to go. Just make sure to go for a lighter shade than normal.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2014 4:42:00 PM More reviews by pissedperson

HORRIBLE JUNK! I have (HAD) thin but otherwise very healthy hair. I used this product according to the instructions and after rinsing , my hair felt HORRIBLE, DRY BRITTLE and terribly tangled. I used the CHEAP conditioner that came with the color and NOTHING ... I still could NOT get a comb thru the dried out horribly tangled MESS it made out of my hair. I tried 2 other expensive conditioners , TWO hours later after sitting with the products on my head, finally had to send my husband to the salon to buy an expensive spray on detangler to get the snarls out CLUMPS of my hair came out and boke off. I am furious., I would never use this again or even recomend to my worse enemy. I HAD to select a rating for this product but wouldn'teven give it ONE star for ANY of them

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2014 10:15:00 PM More reviews by Crly2007

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wanted to write a review for John Frieda Precision Foam Color in 5N Medium Natural Brown. First off I have medium brown hair with red highlights naturally. I decided since it was Summer I would add some hi lights in my hair. I got some stuff from Sally's and was not happy with my results!!!. Ended up with that dreadful orange tinted hair! That was a couple weeks ago. Since then I have been researching online and decided to try this. I purchased this at Target for 11.92. I am very pleased with the outcome. Loved the kit. The gloves are wonderful! It was my first time ever using this brand or a foam even. It covered great and turned a nice medium brown. I am glad I chose this shade and not a darker one. I would not want it any darker. I would recommend it and will use again.. Hope this helps others decide to try it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2014 2:03:00 PM More reviews by lcheramie1212

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

To start with, my hair was my natural medium/dark brown at the top and blonde "Ombre" at the bottom. I had the blonde done professionally about two months ago, and I did like it, but I'm over it now and ready to be dark again. I was worried about using a box color because of the bleach that was used to lighten my hair for the blonde, but this turned out beautifully. I used the shade 4PBN (Dark Cool Espresso Brown) and it is truly a gorgeous dark brown color. I kind of expected to at least see some shade variation where the blonde had been, but this covered it completely. This was my first experience with a foam product and it was definitely less messy, but I was slightly concerned while I was using it because my hair did not become "frothy" as the directions and the illustration said it should, but the color came out perfect none the less. Overall, this product exceeded my expectations and I would definitely recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2014 10:09:00 PM More reviews by emem2212

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the first foam hair dye I've used and it's soooo good. I have short hair now but even when I had my hair almost touching my waist, there was enough dye in the bottle to cover it all. I have dark hair and I use 3VR and it lasts a really long time. And that conditioner they give you really makes it more vibrant every time you use it.

It's more expensive (almost double all the other ones) but it's definitely worth it. I've bought it maybe 5 or 6 times, and will continue to keep buying it :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2014 10:29:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

I'm honestly really surprised that so many people like this hair dye. I've been dying my hair at home for about 20 years, and this dye was one of the worst I've ever used. I do not have hard hair to dye, it is fine and shoulder length and I've been dying it blonde for so long that it takes blonde color variations very well, and pretty much any blonde hair dye from the drugstore will turn out looking at least OK. But not this one. Personally, I don't like the foam, it was very hard for me to tell if I had applied enough to my roots. And apparently I had not applied enough since it came out splotchy. What's worse is that within 2 weeks of using it all of the color was gone from my roots, like I had never dyed it at all, this has never in my life happened to me before. I was honestly shocked, I've used John Frieda hair products for years and expected it to at least work as well as a $7 bottle of clairol or l'oreal. I honestly have no desire to ever try this again, regardless of any reformulations.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2014 9:19:00 PM More reviews by rainbowrivulets

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

TL;DR 3VR is nice over black hair for a red tint, 5N might not cover blonde hair without leaving a tinge of yellow. I don't know how it fares for grays.

My natural hair colour is black but I have had purple hair for the past year (with hair bleached over and over as a base...) which turned to a mixture of pastelle purple, medium purple and ash blonde, with 5-6 inches of roots and I used 5N and 3VR (in that order).

So the first time around, I didn't listen to the instructions and went ahead and used it with too much build up in my hair and the foam didn't stay at all (just kind of flattened and liquified) and I was panicking because I didn't know if I would have enough for all my hair. The second time around, when I did it properly, I had plenty and it foamed up nicely. No dripping. No shaking and forgetting to put your finger over the hole you prematurely made and making a streak of black across your wall.... oh! and I think it wiped off of skin real easy too. Somehow cream dyes felt harder to wipe off. Didn't even need to break out the rubbing alcohol! Foam packaging+gloves are an A+, and the whole thing rinses out faster than cream colour.

Colour:
5N was a nice colour but it felt too red for me, and it actually shows yellow when I take a picture with flash, so I guess it didn't cover my bleached hair. GRANTED they don't suggest dyeing a shades any more than 3 shades apart and I knew it would probably be wonky. (that's why I had two colours)
I really like 3VR. Even over my black hair, it tinted it red-brown. Very pretty in sunlight. Over 5N, it's an even more beautiful dark chocolate with lots of red. It matched the swatch somewhat. I think it's more purple in the swatch.

I know red hair is hard to preserve... So I'll update on fading when some time has passed.

Overall though, would dye again. I might get 5VR for the ombre bits I did, but for now my hair is resting.