John Frieda Precision Foam Color

3.3

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is the best drugstore at-home hair dye I've ever used. Prior to this I tried multiple types of Garnier and Revlon dyes (I was satisfied with Revlon Buttercream for a while until I got 2 boxes in a row that didn't take to my hair well at all.) I've never had any terrible reactions or experienced any nightmares with other brands, but the results weren't really that great either.

I'd been wanting to try a dark brown with cherry undertones hair dye for a while and decided to get the John Frieda Precision Foam Color in the shade 3VR Deep Cherry Brown.

The price was $12.99 at Ulta and I had a $3.00 coupon. I love the packaging to this. The fact that it's a foam is revolutionary and made it SO much easier to apply to my hair evenly. Usually no matter how careful I am I make somewhat of a mess on my sink/countertop whenever I'm dying my hair but not with this... it was super easy to use. The after color care conditioner that comes with this is really nice and actually comes in a small bottle instead of those awkward little packets you usually see in a boxed dye.

When I got out of the shower I was immediately impressed. My white hairs are completely covered and there is no patchiness whatsoever... pure nice, even color. When my hair is dry now, it is a dark brown with burgundy undertones that are quite apparent in the sun or underneath bright light (which is exactly what I was wanting.) Before using this dye it was a faded dark brown. If you're still searching for that perfect boxed dye, definitely give this one a try. They have a selection of 28 shades so unless you're looking for something unnatural there's probably a color for you. I'll definitely repurchase in this shade and when I want something new will try a different one from the same line.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

I'm gonna be very honest and say I think a lot of hair color disasters are due to not doing your research, and if you don't, you'll get off results no matter the product. Golden tones will always pull reddish, if your hair is damaged it will absorb more color and turn out darker, the times given are estimates and you should keep an eye on your hair as it develops, etc (I'm not trying to be mean- I've made all these mistakes before!)

I used shade 3VR which is deep cherry brown on hair that was a warm medium brown, dyed from a natural black. Application took some time, but I think total it was on my hair for roughly 15 minutes, because I knew my hair was porous and would absorb color, so the given 20-30 minutes would turn my hair black. It came out to a pretty dark brown, maybe two shades up from black, with distinct burgundy tones, which is exactly what I wanted.

It is pricey, at $12, but even for my long (down to the small of my back) and thick hair, one box was enough. I wasted money on a second one, but I'd rather have too much so I don't regret it, but total this works out cheaper than me having to buy 2-3 boxes of $6 hair dye, so i don't mind the price.

I'm 20, so I can't speak for grey coverage, but it's the easiest to apply hair dye I've ever used. Spend an hour doing research before you dye! It's worth it, and you'll get good results from this product from the effort.

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I really like this dye. It’s easy to use and the scent, while not good, isn’t overwhelming. It’s very simple to set up, the included gloves are nice, and I love the conditioner. Spills are easily cleaned up with a wet rag, whether they’re on your skin or the white bathroom counter, though I did have to bleach the tub when I let it sit long enough to stain.

I’ve used the colors 6A, 5N, and 4N. My favorite is 5N, though I also like 4N during colder months. 6A left my hair too brassy and red as it faded, but I suspect that has more to do with my natural color (medium golden brown) than the dye. None of those three have turned my hair black, which seems to be a problem some reviewers had with other colors.

As for the dye itself, sometimes I’m able to get it super foamy, but other times it just looks saturated as the foam dissipates, depending upon the length of my hair. I leave it in for 25-30 minutes and my hair is still in good shape after I rinse it out using the conditioner that comes with it. The dye faded evenly after about a month, sometimes longer, and I haven’t had any problems with consistency or patchiness.

Overall, I'm very happy with this dye. It's faster than going to the salon (certainly less expensive) and I love the color I get with 5N / Medium Natural Brown.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I started coloring my hair at home--basically I'm restoring my original color (dark ashy brown) and covering 50-75pct grey.) I tried this color, a foam, and Olio (Garnier.)

While Garnier seemed to cover slightly better, the applicator was weird and difficult, and my hair felt like plastic afterwards. John Frieda foam is really easy to apply and it doesn't drip. My hair feels wonderful afterwards. I follow the directions and use the included conditioner and it works well. The second time I used it, I left it on longer and I got very good grey coverage but the color was a tad darker than I prefer. However, it seems to be the way to get coverage of the stubborn greys at the temples.

I used 6N Lightest Cool Almond Brown. This was the color recommended by the John Frieda website for the color I wanted to achieve. It provides a bit of highlighting on the grey.

The smells is quite acceptable. The only issue I have with this color, which I've repurchased, is that my favorite shade is often not in the store. So I have to order it from Amazon or Frieda's website.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

This is the best drugstore hair dye I've tried yet. I'm not understanding how it has such low reviews. My criteria for a good hair dye includes: easy to use & doesn't fade easily. I guess that sounds like I don't have high or many standards to some, but to me, those are the most important factors when coloring my hair. I don't consider if a hair dye makes my hair condition any different, because I've never had hair dye damage my hair or change the texture whatsoever. What I enjoy about this hair dye is that it doesn't drip, isn't liquid (it's a foam as the name implies), and isn't a mess or complicated to mix because they make it really simple and convenient to do with the packaging, unlike other drugstore brands I've tried. More importantly, the color lasts. I dyed my hair black with this over a brown and heavily highlighted hair, and the color still looks beautiful 3 months later. Typically I will notice significant fading on the color 2-3 weeks later, leaving me with that fun debate every time I look at myself in the mirror: "Does this look okay? Do I need a touch up now, or can I get away with this?" I don't need to have this stupid conversation with myself now because my hair color is still EVEN and well adhered to my hairs months after initial dyeing, despite me using clarifying shampoo weekly (sometimes twice a week). Overall, I'm very pleased and will definitely purchase again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is for the 6.5 copper colour.

I really like it and I have had a lot of bad experiences with home colour.

Unlike every other diy colour this came out the same colour as the box.

In the directions it says your whole head will foam but mine didn't but I am still very happy with the results.

Only just enough product to cover my shoulder length thick hair, for long hair I would get two packets which would be expensive.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

this is my favorite hair dye! i have very thick hair and have an awfully hard time covering it all when i dye my hair by myself and the foaminess of this makes it soooo easy. i've used this multiple times and it's very easy to apply. i find myself having to redye every month or two, which is pretty average considering i wash my hair every day. i don't get why this product is rated only a 3, this is my favorite hair dye ever and i've used so many brands!

After much research and all. Usual. This did lighten hair more the all before. Yes! - Happy but now maybe color over. Good for Springish/Summer! - Lighter hair maybe- cool- trendy - seasonal all. Wow! Plus, Graduation Season and all. Time to "prep" and try to look your best. Even if no input (mine) and high expections!- Whole process!- Love the packaging of this product. Bit messy and drippy. Takes a long time to apply and try to cover over and over. But when wash out- pretty much a breeze! Woo!-

I haven't had necessarily the BEST luck with hair dyes. So when this one didn't work for me I wasn't really all that upset. I bought the dark reddish brown shade for my dark brown hair because I wanted a reddish tint. Seemed simple enough, I didn't think it could backfire because I wasn't going fire truck red I just wanted a dark tint. Anyways, the process was fine... In the directions it shows a picture of a girl with foamed up hair and it says that your hair should look the same, but I couldn't get it that foamy no matter how much product I used or how much I massaged. My hair ended up being bright cherry red at the roots and black everywhere else. Oh well. I'm just gonna go to the salon once I get paid next week.

PROS:
Easy to mix the two components as they're both liquid, no toothpaste-type tube to squeeze out
Easy to apply, texture not too thick or thin
Applies to dry, not wet, hair
It doesn't fry hair
The gloves are good
Often half price at boots or superdrug
Doesn't permanently stain everything in your bathroom
CONS:
You won't get a very noticeable change of colour on dark hair
Grey coverage doesn't last as long as, say, nutrisse
You need to really massage it in to get enough colour to the "under" hair
Too expensive at full price
Overall - this has become my go-to colour as it's easy to mix and apply, so colouring my hair isn't as traumatic as it used to be.