August 30, 2014 | 1735 users online

Styling Products - Alaffia - BEAUTIFUL CURLS Curl Defining Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 11:56:00 AM More reviews by suestew2

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is an unsung hero in the world of curly girl products. I've used a zillion curl defining creams and gels. I like several. But this one is my favorite now. It's really a cream/gel, and I love its consistency. A little bit goes a long way. It controls frizz very well and really does help to define curls.

I apply a quarter-size dab to my hair, run a wide-toothed comb through it to distribute the product, then lightly scrunch with a microfiber towel. I then don't touch my hair until it's dry. At that point, if there's a crunchiness, I just scrunch it easily with my fingers. My hair is then soft and nicely defined.

I have not felt the need to add any other gel for extra hold, but I'm sure that you could do so successfully. I find that I'm better able to get decent second- or even third-day hair using this product. I hope it is never discontinued.

FYI: I like this product so much that I have posted this review on several sites.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/8/2013 1:26:00 AM More reviews by ssips720

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

id never rebuy this.
very watery consistency..
dried out my hair. and ive never really seen a product do that. usually nothing fazes my hair. staying power or holding power isnt great either. Ended up having to use a lot of whatever this stuff is to even get it to hold. not moisturizing at all, for something that claims to be shea butter. did nothing positive for my thick wavy curly hair. when i switched however to the alaffia curl lotion, i felt a big difference.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2012 12:18:00 AM More reviews by treehugger222

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have tried this off and on. There were times this left my hair dry and not defined at all, but I realized I was probably using too much and not enough conditioner. But I can't really remember...
I'm using this again now with the Beautiful Curls Shampoo and Leave-in for Wavy to Curly Hair. (I only use the shampoo a few times a week, though. Otherwise I cowash with Darcy's Botanicals Cleansing Conditioner Cream.) Usually with stylers, they either don't dry out but don't provide enough hold/control, or they provide tons of hold/control but totally dry out your hair and make it crunchy. This has the best of both worlds for me! It gives me the hydration and flexibility of a cream but the hold of a gel! It's definitely more of a cream-gel, I think, than a hair gel.
I will keep on with this and update my review later.

UPDATE: I bumped this up a star. This might actually be an HG of mine! I changed my routine a little, so now I use a pea-sized amount of the Beautiful Curls Shampoo, rinse, towel blot my hair, apply a quarter-sized dollop of the BC Leave-in, and then I scrunch in a quarter size of this gel. I get truly beautiful curls just about every time! I touch my hair as little as possible to prevent frizz, and once it's almost dry, I scrunch it a lot. Stilling loving this product:)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2011 11:56:00 AM More reviews by finneganandmaggie

I love this product. I have very thick, wavy, long hair. This gel/creme gives just the right amount of hold for me. It's not sticky. It gives fabulous curl/wave definition for me. As with most curl styling products, it works best if I scrunch and then air dry...touching as little as possible. It's pretty effortless. I use with a tiny drop of the Beautiful Curls line shea butter and coconut hair oil (of which a very little goes a long way).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2011 2:28:00 AM More reviews by jago

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I liked this product after I learned how much to use. My jar turned "off" before I was able to finish it, and after only a few weeks it started to separate & I found chunks (maybe Shea?) in it. Perhaps I got a bad batch. It did help define my waves, but didn't provide much in the way of hold. If it came in different packaging (maybe a pump?) I'd try again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2011 11:24:00 PM More reviews by penguinsama

I have no complaints about this product.

I was looking for a hair lotion for my transitioning, tightly curly hair, and found this at WholeFoods. The one in the children's section is the same price but contains "chubbier" stuff (more shea, neem oil, coconut, less aloe vera). I like using it on dry or post-conditioned hair, and my hair soaks it in. Will be trying Kinky-Curly products when this runs out, but I'm definitely coming back to this solid, curl moistening conditioner in the future.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2011 5:41:00 PM More reviews by stanzi

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm halfway through my tub of Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel, and I'll most likely purchase a new one. This product is like a combination of a gel and a cream, with a light vanilla scent. I work a quarter-size amount into my hair (wavy-curly, untreated, just past my shoulders) and then dry my hair with a diffuser, touching it as little as possible. This product gives my hair good wave/curl formation without weighing it down. (On humid days, I'll use a little less Curl Defining Gel and add a dab of Phytodefrisant for extra frizz-fighting.) I dislike having to stick my fingers into the pot; I wish this product were packaged in a wide-mouthed tube instead, but that's my only complaint. I think it has actually improved the condition of my hair a bit!