October 23, 2014 | 1584 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Cinnabar

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2014 1:53:00 AM More reviews by AtomicStarlite

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I wore Chanel No. 5 from the 70s until now. Oh, how I wish I had discovered this gorgeous fragrance. It is like a beautiful cinnamon incense, very sexy, warm, sensuous, I was standing in line at a fancy restaurant recently, and a lady exclaimed, 'who smells so good'! I offered her my wrist, she said 'oh, it's you! I love it!!', I love most of the Estee line, but none of their other fragrances, this is the one, and it lasts for hours. I don't care for most of the fruity or chemical fragrances out there that all smell the same, I've smelled them all, I've worn Opium, I've worn Tabu (in my teenage years), this is the one.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2014 9:23:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This reminds me of a lighter Youth Dew. So similar are they in fact, I wonder if this was suppose to be some type of update or flanker for Youth Dew mellowed with touches of cinnamon.That said, it's still a heavy perfume and should be used with a light hand.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2013 12:34:00 AM More reviews by anotherpython

I had only ever smelled this a few times-- Estee Lauder seem to like keeping this one off the counter, at least where I usually shop-- and I was not a fan from what I remember. It smelled heavy and kind of like incense that has gone "off" from sitting around too long in the burner. Then today, I smelled it on someone in front of me in line Christmas shopping and had to ask her what it was because it smelled so good. When she said Cinnabar I was intrigued because it smelled fantastic-- like a perfect blend of cinnamon and frankincense with a really warm tone to it. At the Lauder counter I was told this is often put out for the holidays and I can see how the cinnamon/spice angle would fit that. I'm glad I got to try it-- it goes on quite strong but has one of the nicer dry downs I have ever smelled in a perfume. I agree with others who say it manages to be spicy in a way that is somewhat unusual-- familiar but not "edible". This to me is definitely a perfume that needs to be tried on to see how it works for you-- how it smells in the bottle is definitely not indicative of how it smells on skin. I readily admit to liking the girly, sweet scents but it is nice to wear something with a bit more "sophistication" sometimes!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2013 11:47:00 PM More reviews by candystripelegs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Wanted to love this, was hoping I could add a second Estee to my perfume collection (love Knowing) but oh no...this is just a big, giant mess. Could not detect any standout notes. Smelled horridly fake, almost like a rubber eraser with some stale spices thrown in. There is really not much I can say here...it's just not appealing to me and it's almost offensive to my senses. Strange, considering my skin chemsitry loves most Oriental blends and I typically end up finding somthing to like about each one I've tried.

To be fair, i spritzed from the bottle they had at the counter. Who knows how old it was and constant exposure to light and heat does funny things to perfumes. Thankfully, I had wipes in my purse which quickly removed most of the scent after I tried to let it settle for about 15 minutes.

Was hoping for a longer lasting scent than my beloved Tabu, which was the "inspriation" for Opium and Cinnabar (from what i've read, anyway) but something not as insanely pungent as Opium can be during that first hour. Plus,to me, Opium smells exactly the same on every woman. I can detect it instantly every time and while i do like the scent, I would prefer somthing more unique. And, in the 35 and younger group, you really do run the risk of a man recognizing those more popular perfumes as something his mother used to wear. While i'm fine with wearing scents that my grandmother loved, I don't want my man being with me and thinking of his mom. Creepy!

if you went to a dollar store, and bought one of thier knockoff "smells like.." perfumes, their copy of Opium would be this. Not sure how the orginal forumlation of Cinnabar smelled since no women I know wore it, but i would definitely not recommend this current blend.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2013 9:53:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This review is for the current formulation of Cinnabar by Estee Lauder, which is an important variable in a review for perfumes. Many times there can be a huge difference between a vintage and the present rendition of a fragrance. Without ranting and raving about the how's and why's of the perfume industry changing a scent, I'll describe my experience with the current rendition of Cinnabar, a perfume that I used to love.
I sprayed this on, expecting the wonderful spices and warmth to deliver its punch. I couldn't be more disappointed. What a synthetic, crass, harsh and linear opening I experienced.
The spices, cedar and mosses came strolling in, then quickly hid behind the trees, almost as if they were afraid to show themselves. I waited for the spices to show themselves. They did. In a casket. Everything else that I was waiting for, the incense, the cloves, the wonderful cinnamon and patchouli had died and was being readied for a burial. The funeral procession has begun, the woods have taken over, and all the richness and glory is being buried in the deep dark woods. But even the woods are dying.
Today's Cinnabar smells much better on a strip of paper or an article of clothing than on human skin. What has happened to the original? Well, we know. But I won't beat a dead horse. If you remember Cinnabar for a lush experience, look for the vintage. Do not bother with this unrefined new liquid.
It's no wonder the EL counter refuses to give out samples, citing this reason-"Cinnabar has been around for too many years for people to ask for a sample. They know what it smells like. We don't need to give out samples of a popular perfume. We only give out samples of our newest fragrance." I kid you not. I was told this by two EL counter SA's. Perhaps the accurate reason is that customers will try the new Cinnabar and be disappointed and refuse to purchase it. I sampled Cinnabar three times for this review.
I accidentally sprayed some on my sweater and that's where the better aroma of the perfume is evident. The spices intermingle ever so lightly with the other notes, but nowhere near the original of years gone by. What's on my skin is shallowness, a lack of depth in this Cinnabar that would make me hesitate to purchase any current stock.
Top Notes: Spices, Peach, Cloves, Bergamot, Tangerine, Orange Blossom.
Middle Notes: Carnation, Cinnamon, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Rose, Lily-Of-The-Valley, Lily.
Base Notes: Tolu Balsam, Sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli, Benzoin, Vanilla, Vetiver, Incense.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2013 5:35:00 AM More reviews by MissBehaviour

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I adore many of the Lauders and generally have various strong fragrances in my collection, but Cinnabar was one I ended up giving away. The problem for me is that this reads as an incredibly artificial, unrelenting, headache and nausea inducing one-note cinnamon on me, as though I had rubbed one of those cinnamon scented car tree fresheners all over myself.

I would greatly recommend trying before you buy. If it works for you, it has great intensity and lasting power.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2013 2:34:00 PM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I definitely prefer the vintage Cinnabar to the reformulation now on shelves for $35. I started out with a bottle of the new stuff a couple years ago, wanting to relive my memories of this simmering, incendiary, boozy spice-rack, which various older relatives rocked beautifully when it first came out in the late '70s. (For me, The 'Bar has always beaten Opium hands-down.) From
my reformulated bottle, I got a decent approximation of that scent-- almost like a designer imposter of the real thing. I noticed the color of the juice was lighter and the packaging cheaper than I remembered; still, enough of the signature cola top notes and earthy patchouli-spice base was there for me to like wearing it.

But after a while, I just felt something was missing-- something that made the current version harsher and less well-blended, and I scored a vintage bottle on eBay. (Vintage spray bottles are distinguished by having an almost-black juice and a heavier cap with a gold band around it rather than plain red. Splash versions of Cinnabar are always vintage.) It came tightly packaged, but even through the taped box I smelled something magical. W-O-W there she was, the fiery fragrance beast of my youth.

I say "beast" fondly, because really, Cinnabar is a hefty Oriental, but still a smooth and gorgeous one. On first spray of my vintage bottle, there is a lush and very boozy fermented-peach note, as sumptuous as fine brandy. I immediately think of a well-appointed living room with velvet couches and Oriental rugs and a roaring fire, all in shades of deep scarlet and vermilion. Then come the deep florals and a panoply of spices tempered with the loamy coolness of patchouli. At this stage Cinnabar almost smells like a hippie headshop where some fantastic incense is burning and mixing with the patchouli on the owner's wool poncho. Or maybe it
smells more ancient, like an Egyptian love potion. After a couple of hours, Cinnabar is much closer to the skin, but no less complex and beguiling.

Definitely not for wallflowers, but when I think, "Awesome, soulful, distinctive vintage fragrance", there is my Cinnabar. (btw I hate Youth-Dew and can't wear it--
Cinnabar is in a similar vein but so much more smooth and attractive!)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2012 1:12:00 AM More reviews by pinknika

Horrifying. They say perfume is a matter of taste, and I agree. I have really tried to expand my horizons and try different perfumes and notes that sound delicious and have great reviews. I really am truly trying to love each different note as their own and find good qualities in many, I think that's what perfumers do, they love every scent and try to mix them together to make something beautiful. As for me, as much as I would like to be a perfume connoisseur, sadly I can't. I went to Macy's today and tried to try this stuff. I looked at the SA and told her I want to smell this one, she gave me a tester strip, I uncapped the bottle, took a sniff and couldn't bring myself to spray it. I even said it, I was like holy moly, I can't spray this, I don't even want to, for my sake, my family, and everyone around me. No way. I don't know what the hoopla is all about, but I think maybe you just have to be really old to like this. Sorry!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2011 4:19:00 AM More reviews by ihughes123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I see a red convertible speeding down an autumnal lane. A swirl of gold and red leaves burst forth in her wake. Bright skies and the pursuit of mischief lay ahead. A confident yet warm woman with easy going charm and vintage pin-up style, set of by a vermilion smile...

For me a perfume must possess two characteristics. Distinctiveness and duality, be it clean/dirty, fresh/spicy or feminine/masculine.

Cinnabar is at once as clean as it is spicy. The opening is full of impact, yet it settles to a clean, comforting, spicy and original scent. This is softer, less complicated, fresher and more durable than Youth Dew, and about as American and fun as Cherry Cola.

Is it only me or does anyone else LOVE the packaging????

I appreciate the dependable 'clunk' of solid plastic tops over glass, and prefer portable, practical, simple and elegant presentations to pretentious, over-designed, statement packaging. Anyone else agree? To me the packaging is as classy and classic as the matt red, indeed cinnabar, lipstick that its top recalls.

Also is anyone else irritated by the constant "It's way too strong" comments. Honestly, JUST PUT LESS ON! - Some people want, and have paid good money, to actually smell the scent they are wearing! (If you feel a scent is too strong for you just wear one spray shared between both wrists, away from your face for a more subtle effec, giving you a bit of breathing space.)

19 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2011 2:00:00 AM More reviews by mmarrs

Way too strong and overpowering gives me headache