July 28, 2014 | 681 users online

Powder - Bobbi Brown - Illuminating Finish Powder Compact Foundation SPF 12

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2013 8:55:00 AM More reviews by winnster

Pros:
This powder is amazeballs. Its finish is a soft brilliant matte, that is not understated or overstated. Its like your skin but better and can be applied with any method (sponge, brush, etc.) to achieve the same beautiful finish. In comparison to the Diorskin Nude powder (which I think is a shitty powder), this stuff rocks.

This powder also did not break me out! :)

Cons:
The magnet that holds the powder in place is not strong at all -- I broke this compact when I dropped it accidentally. Good thing I had 33% left when it broke.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2013 4:28:00 PM More reviews by dauskrott

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was recommended this powder after getting some assistance on finding a concealer matching my skintone. The makeup-artist who directed me to Bobbi Brown sent me off with the cream concealer and this powder, stating it was the perfect compact powder for me as I don't use any liquid foundation what so ever, and this would cover me up as if I did. WRONG! I have both in the lightest 00 colour, Alabaster, yet this powder fails to cover to the concealer's level and tone. I takes about 5 layers of powder (then 2 more before you leave the house, as it fades FAST) to give me an even look around the area where I have applied concealer. It's a very sheer powder, very expensive for its amount, and does not seem to be what it is marketed as. However, it is only useful on it's own. I have tried using it after CC cream and here it leaves my face with a dry, paper-like look. It melts inn after a couple hours use either way, but you shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable when you leave the mirror after you're - supposedly - all maked-up. I am so disappointed I want to quit on BB, but I feel like I should try some of their other powders before I go completely bitch.. I do like their colour scheme. Anyone can create a wrong product I suppose..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2013 7:46:00 AM More reviews by soleil_kitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

After being unhappy with an Estee Lauder powder foundation for several weeks, I ran into my local perfumery and asked a very cute & helpful make-up artist for a powder foundation that's really great at controlling oil because, in my case, that is actually the main issue. I have a very, very, very oily T-zone. She told me Bobbi Brown which was a huge surprise for me. I wasn't always happy with BB products and wouldn't have looked at her stuff on my own. And another surprise: I was matched "Sand (2)" instead of Ivory or something lighter. But yes, turns out she was right about everything. Not only is her choice a perfect match for my skin tone but this foundation is also exceptional at controlling oil. Granted, I have to blot by afternoon(!) but I don't have my head in the clouds, nor do I expect the impossible which would be a matte finish all day. But this foundation is now my go-to foundation for not-so-perfect-skin days. Coverage can be adjusted, depending on how it's applied. I actually dab it onto my face with a kabuki and it minimizes the appearance of pores and gives me a beautiful, very radiant complexion, not chalky or powdery; not exactly natural either because it's obviously looking like "my skin but better". It says "illuminating" and it is illuminating. There's definitely a visible improvement. It's just very beautiful to look at. It also doesn't settle into lines or melt off which is always a problem when you have oily skin. As far as I can tell the bad reviews come from users who have dry or very dry skin so it's important to pay attention to that detail. It's even mentioned on the box that this foundation is not suitable for dry skin. I'm very happy with my purchase so far - a very lucky surprise. The typical black BB-box is really sturdy, heavy plastic. Like mentioned above I don't use the sponge that's included but a kabuki brush instead so I can't say anything about that. Would totally make the same decision again!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/26/2013 11:29:00 AM More reviews by marchafr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is without doubt a good product. It is good for my combination skin as it keeps my skin clear from oiliness for at least 6/7 hours. I don't really use it on all my face but just on the T zone and it does its job fine. Said this, I'm not a real expert of powder foundations (I use cream ones) but I have the feeling that, given its price, there are probably tones of other similar products on the market and it does not have the "illuminating effect " it says.

In addition, I was given a Warm Beige 3.5 which could be a tad dark but still fine. Bobbi brown does so many shades that the girls at the counter change their mind every day over the color which suits me best. Each time its a different story.. So, overall, a good product, does its job, not an HG.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2013 1:09:00 PM More reviews by Twee74

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

i am 38, and have been pretty lucky in the skin department. no lines or wrinkles etc. i love this product!. i am indian and iwas matched to the honey shade,no 5.
though i was initially attracted to the 'illuminating " feature,it just does not quite make me glow!
but i use it wet and dry with fantastic results. its great for 5minute makeup mummys!
my trick is that i use bobbi brown shimmer brick compact in bronze, as soon as my moisturizer sinks in and then i put the powder on , either wet or dry. i know this goes against all the tips for the shimmer brick but it works. i follow with a quick sweep of her blusher in rose, one of the shimmer brick colour on my eyelids, black kohl pencil along top eyelash and my clinique mascara,lots of it.
it honestly takes 5 minutes.
If and when this busy mummy goes out at night , then i use bobbi brown stick foundation in honey/warm honey and then just press the powder over. blush then folowed by the shimmer brick.
i have not ever been disappointed with bobbis products.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2012 8:37:00 AM More reviews by nettimacs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Broke me out, left my face patchy.. not impressed.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/12/2012 12:27:00 AM More reviews by diamondustt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Honestly this is not a foundation. It is an over glorified pressed powder. The amount you need to put on your face to get even light coverage is to much for $44 for less then half of an ounce. Its severly over priced. It would be nice to use though as a finishing powder but even then the effect is not really illuminating I would say. In all I would say this is really just a very basic pressed powder. For shame bobbi~

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2012 7:24:00 PM More reviews by glossyxlipz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I like this powder a lot. For some reason, the lady at the counter discouraged me from buying, but I insisted on purchasing it and I am glad I did. They are selling this as a powder foundation, but this will not cover anything for me. I love the finish it leaves on my face and it stays on all day. No oiliness. Very natural looking. I took a lippie off for the price, which i feel is steep.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2012 8:25:00 PM More reviews by flauros

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

If you are looking for a finishing powder with a little bit of coverage, this is perfect. I purchased this at my CCO for $29USD for .45oz/ 13g of product. I put this over my light coverage liquid foundation where I need more coverage. Using the dry sponge it comes with, I pat it on and blend, and it looks extremely skin like (I only use one layer). By hour 8 my skin was still looking like I had just applied it, no flakies or unevenness (I have normal/combo skin). I'm not sure if I would use this alone as a foundation, my skin isn't perfect and it wouldn't cover all my issues. Having used Mac StudioFix in the past, this is much lighter and less likely to cake in my experience. For touch ups and as a finishing powder, it works great. No scent detected, product comes in a compact with a mirror and sponge. Also, really great color selection for pale ladies like myself!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2012 4:05:00 PM More reviews by Amalulu

I have oily skin and have always had problems keeping my foundation looking decent throughout the day. Usually i use a mattifying face lotion, followed by an oil absorbing primer. Then use an oil free liquid foundation and finish with powder. Thoughout the day then I would have to blot continuously.

I was sold this make up by the bobbi brown sales girl as an alternative to their powder to go over their liquid natural finish long lasting foundation. Today I was in a rush. I slapped on some face lotion and put this foundation over the top on it's own.

What a difference! My skin felt great. The foundation is light, didn't even feel like I was wearing any. My skin stayed a lot matter for longer than it would have with my usual make up regime. I reapplied some foundation once just to my t zone area and it still went on smoothly. I think the coverage is great. Very natural looking. does cover minor blemishes, like my small thread vein. Evens complexion nicely. An A* every day foundation. And so quick to apply too!

I would definately recommend this foundation if you have an oily t zone and are looking for an easy to wear, long lasting foundation.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No