October 25, 2014 | 1858 users online

Lipstick - Avon - Ultra Color Rich Lipstick in Rosewine

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2014 6:20:00 PM More reviews by DLYNN

I like Avon for their eye shadows, lip balms and lipsticks. Recently, I ordered a half dozen colors from the Ultra Color Rich lipstick line, which recently went from being packaged in a fat round tube to a square one. The packaging color and feel is otherwise identical. The Ultra Color Rich tubes feel substantial enough to hold up, although I would prefer a round tube instead of the square variety so prevalent now. (I understand the advantage of lining a drugstore display with square-tube lippies because they are less prone to rolling onto the floor after customers pull them out of the display racks but Avon doesn't sell in drugstores so it seems like a needless change, IMHO.)

Packaging aside, here are my observations: First off, the color goes on very smoothly. It's not as opaque as Revlon but the pigment is adequate given the creme finish (contrary to Avon's web description, Rosewine does not sport a satin or shimmer finish). As it turns out, Avon Ultra Color Rich Lipstick in Rosewine is identically named to a Revlon lipstick, which I also own. Rosewine and its deeper-hued counterpart, Teak Rose, are both Revlon classic colors, which on my skin tone are most suited for the fall. When I first received Avon's "Rosewine" I was ticked, thinking I had purchased nothing more than a duplicate. Applying Rosewine (Avon) to the lower lip and Rosewine (Revlon) to the upper lip, I wasn't satisfied that there was enough color shift to distinguish the two. But after giving it a few more days, I note that Avon's version of Rosewine is a bit paler, slightly more peachy with less of a brick tone. The differences are very subtle but they're adequate enough to allow me to do with this color what I won't with Revlon's Rosewine wear it year around.

I am not entirely clear on whether just the packaging changed or the formula for Avon's Ultra Color Rich lipsticks also changed. I do know that out of the half dozen or so I ordered, the creme shade Rosewine has decent staying power, and leaves behind a lip stain that continues to liven my naturally pale lips. Rosewine's staying power is better than I can say for Avon's shimmer finishes (most of my purchase!). By in large, the current crop of Avon Ultra Color Rich lipsticks are on the sheer side. They glide on effortlessly, almost too much so. Worse, they transfer to other surfaces, such as teeth, utensils and beverage glasses waaaay too easily. (With less wax the feel may be more moisturizing but that also means less smudge resistance, in my observation.)

Comparing my recent Ultra Color Rich purchase to that of a few years back, the current formula wears like a cross between a lipstick and a gloss whereas I would prefer my lipstick to feel as if it has "set". I am generally a fan of Avon Ultra Color Rich lipsticks, having found the staying power comparable to Revlon's Super Lustrous line. Now, however, I am leery of repurchasing the shimmer shades, in particular, because they are not as opaque and tend to settle into the lines of the lips. Rosewine is the exception because the creme finish helps the pigment stay put longer. Color wise, Rosewine is a universally-flattering winner. Unfortunately, I probably will not repurchase because the "lip feel" is no longer substantial enough for my tastes.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/17/2012 7:24:00 PM More reviews by karib2012

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this expecting it to match the color in the advertising and the name it claimed to be rosewine. It is nothing like that. In the tube it looks rosy but it applies vivid pink with hints of orange.Its such a wierd color! Im a lipstick junkie and I've never seen a color like this. The color stains and smears easily. Price is high for the small amount of product. The best I can say is that it doesnt dry out my lips.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2010 7:47:00 PM More reviews by cocopetite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this lipstick from a friend who sales Avon products to support her. Well, I'm really not lucky when it comes to Avon lipsticks : each time, I'm disappointed by the colors, they don't show as in the catalog. I chose this shade because I thought it would be a beautiful ''old pink'', but it is a very bright pink, not subtle at all. However, I do like the texture, it's creamy and moisturizing. Overall, for me, it was another 5 bucks wasted.